• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Sora by OpenAi, AAA games by AI are months away

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m not sure how the economics of using a multi thousand dollar GPU to generate a game for a $499 console works. Or the latency issues that would result from this process, running remotely.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’m not sure how the economics of using a multi thousand dollar GPU to generate a game for a $499 console works. Or the latency issues that would result from this process, running remotely.
It will have it's uses to speed up world creation and the like, but a fully competent game is still ways away. Down to physics, gameplay controls, debugging, player stats, etc..

There still needs to be that human creation for all the nuances and intricacies.

Audiophile

Gold Member
How far we've come in two years.

Gotta admit there's almost a lo-fi or nightmarish charm to that old stuff now...

154749621-The-mind-flayer-eating-an-ice-cream.png
908455756-The-mind-flayer-eating-an-ice-cream.png
Screenshot-20221101-143702-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20221101-143511-Chrome.jpg
Screenshot-20221101-144129-Chrome.jpg
Screenshot-20221101-144938-Chrome.jpg
Screenshot-20221101-143441-Chrome.jpg
Screenshot-20221101-143458-Chrome.jpg
Screenshot-20221101-143549-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Why would anybody want this? We don't need more games, like, isn't there enough garbage taking over digital storefronts in the form of Unity/Unreal asset flips already?

We need less, more polished and, most of all, meaningful videogames - and AI certainly isn't the way to get there.

hyperbertha

Everyone is pissed off about AI art and film and I think this is the most exciting technological advancement since the internet. Yeah, it will result in things that suck but it also will make so many fascinating things possible. A teacher instead of having to spend 5 minutes drawing boring notes on how gravity works like what I endured in the 00s and instead just entering a prompt and AI creates a short video of an apple and a car being dropped that looks photorealistic and shows gravity affecting them at the same rate.
Nonsense, just like the op. The current tech isn't ai. You'll get remixed stuff from things that already exist. Nothing new. There are only negatives in the long run.

hyperbertha

"It's stealing from other videos...Stutterstock, blah, blah, blah."

Of course it has to learn from other videos. No entity learns to create something from nothing. It needs some foundations to learn.

We speak because we learned to join words together. Words that we learned by listening others. But the content of our own speech is of our own creation. It expresses what we think.
I'm very sorry but it doesn't really learn like humans. This is a tired argument that has been debunked time and time again. It can't generalize. There is no world where it's going to create whatever we want no matter how much data we feed it. It can make remixes at best. It's an interpolation algorithm not an ai. There needs to be a massive breakthrough before we will ever get ai. Don't fall for open ai's bullshit hype.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Why would anybody want this? We don't need more games, like, isn't there enough garbage taking over digital storefronts in the form of Unity/Unreal asset flips already?

We need less, more polished and, most of all, meaningful videogames - and AI certainly isn't the way to get there.

AI could be the death of art. Just imagine a world where everybody can generate books, music, games, etc. How will actual masterpieces, especially those created by humans, ever stand out when those works are just drops of water in an ocean of AI generated mediocrity?

AI could be the death of art. Just imagine a world where everybody can generate books, music, games, etc. How will actual masterpieces, especially those created by humans, ever stand out when those works are just drops of water in an ocean of AI generated mediocrity?

This is what's being pushed these days, and the main reason for the trash arts is bringing down the standards so much that a stupid machine could replicate it and then claim that it's better than humans, as if the most powerful AI in the world could write like Stephen King or direct a movie like Tarantino. Or create a Souls game better than From.

Nonsense.

Fabieter

I really would like the trainingsources Open AI uses forCHATGPT an sora because as far as I know they dont disclose it which probably means they take alot of copyrighted stuff to do so. Really weird that no one cares but it's probably one of the benefits by being backed by the biggest company in the world "flying over the law"

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I really would like the trainingsources Open AI uses forCHATGPT an sora because as far as I know they dont disclose it which probably means they take alot of copyrighted stuff to do so. Really weird that no one cares but it's probably one of the benefits by being backed by the biggest company in the world "flying over the law"
They should train it on everything even copyrighted stuff if they want the best results

Sybrix

I can see a year or 2 of AI games flooding the market but after the hype has settled and the crap sifted through, i can see AI being beneficial in creating games.

Rockstar take a huge amount of time to create their games, for good reason, could AI be used for all the asset and world buliding in 1/50th of the time?

ThisIsMyDog

I'm very sorry but it doesn't really learn like humans. This is a tired argument that has been debunked time and time again. It can't generalize. There is no world where it's going to create whatever we want no matter how much data we feed it. It can make remixes at best. It's an interpolation algorithm not an ai. There needs to be a massive breakthrough before we will ever get ai. Don't fall for open ai's bullshit hype.
You have no idea what you talking about, your AI definition propably comes from terminator.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Musk said they used data from X without paying. Not sure this is fine.
Why should they pay, he is saying that only because he is losing money everywhere
The best way to make it evolve faster is to have access to all the internet and just train on every web page possible, including browsing neogaf for example

Three

Why should they pay, he is saying that only because he is losing money everywhere
The best way to make it evolve faster is to have access to all the internet and just train on every web page possible, including browsing neogaf for example
I've been wondering about this. As the AI images and videos proliferate throughout the Internet would those same images then be used to train it again and amplify its own weaknesses? There is no way for it to know if the image is AI generated so if it sees millions of images of humans with 7 fingers would it mess up its training?

Fabieter

Open AI themselves said it will be responsible to make 80% of the workforce not needed anymore and its using all data from said workforce to do so without compensate for anything. AI is a mistake if there is no other way.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
IMO social media is/was a tool that’s detrimental to our society. This will be same.

People need the service of other people and interact with each other. This will only separate us more, enrich a small elite even more etc.

Buggy Loop

Open AI themselves said it will be responsible to make 80% of the workforce not needed anymore and its using all data from said workforce to do so without compensate for anything. AI is a mistake if there is no other way.

But it won’t be stopped, I understand all these arguments to stop it, hell I’m just an engineer, it’s maths, I’m on the list of easily replaceable workforce.

The country that has the edge in AI and eventually gets the singularity basically dominates everything. You can bet USA wants to be first.

And probably why billionaires are building doomsday bunkers, because shit will get crazy. 80% workforce losing their jobs and it will be chaos. Governments aren’t ready for basic income, they should, they should be siphoning all these big corps of money to prepare for basic income.

But I’m afraid that we’re heading to a world like Elysium. Garbage and chaos on earth, while 500~1000 peoples of the ultra rich are enjoying life.

DeathGuise

By @sachos https://openai.com/research/video-generation-models-as-world-simulators
Check out their more in depth technical report, the model is able to "Simulate digital worlds" and they show an example of a Minecraft "gameplay". They say "These capabilities suggest that continued scaling of video models is a promising path towards the development of highly-capable simulators of the physical and digital world, and the objects, animals and people that live within them."

They say the capabilities of the model keep improving with compute, if they manage to keep the trend going and make it faster one could imagine say Sora V4 running at 30FPS generating a videogame in real time. Its a world simulator, not just a video creator. Its insane.

Yesterday reveal of Sora combined with Gemini 1.5 with 1 to 10 million tokens of context length marks one of the biggest days in AI ever. I expected something the quality of Sora in 1.5 or 2 years, OpenAI keep raising the bar, they trully have the secret sauce.

Just look at how realistic this is
This is advancing so fast that i think games made by AI are just months away and it will make everything better and faster to make
Yes it sucks for artists but this is the best tech revolution in these last few years

Lol the space dude wearing a red wool cap. His spaceship looks like it's made out of clay and it has the 60's flying saucer style. I love it

He walks weird though. I think human gait is the next "hand" problem for AI

Fabieter

But it won’t be stopped, I understand all these arguments to stop it, hell I’m just an engineer, it’s maths, I’m on the list of easily replaceable workforce.

The country that has the edge in AI and eventually gets the singularity basically dominates everything. You can bet USA wants to be first.

And probably why billionaires are building doomsday bunkers, because shit will get crazy. 80% workforce losing their jobs and it will be chaos. Governments aren’t ready for basic income, they should, they should be siphoning all these big corps of money to prepare for basic income.

But I’m afraid that we’re heading to a world like Elysium. Garbage and chaos on earth, while 500~1000 peoples of the ultra rich are enjoying life.

Iam not against it, I just think its should be heavily regulated by governments. But I guess we know that road leads to the same result no matter what. It could be a good thing if megacorps ain't allowed to go wild with it.

CLW

I think the introduction of AI may actually lead to more people being okay with crunch. There is a difference between Crunch and overtime. One is when a person does more work than the Baseline, the other is when a person does more work than the Baseline and either isn't paid for it or is mandatory with very little rights attached.
Yes ot is certainly used for hourly paid employees.

My wife and I BOTH work in professions where 60-80 hours per week 50 weeks a year is the norm it’s not uncommon to crank out a 90 hour work week.

We don’t get months off at a time like allot do once a game is released. I have ZERO sympathy for the crunch people if you don’t like it quit and work someplace else

Del_X

“Months away”

Yeah maybe 120 months away. The amount of compute needed to keep something like that consistent, with collision detection, and all the other things needed for a game is immense. These are small scenes farmed out by high end GPUs with seconds required per frame.

StueyDuck

People should be expecting your generic indie wank asset flip with store bought controllers and apis from AI.

Not AAA games 🤣

Using ai to help develop games though I see being used more than people would like to hear in most modern games now

cireza

Capture-d-cran-2024-02-16-151114.png

Also :
Capture-d-cran-2024-02-16-151546.png

Very good at saying wrong things in a convincing manner.

Capture-d-cran-2024-02-16-152303.png

No shit I was wrong. I am SO sorry.

Capture-d-cran-2024-02-16-152324.png

What in the actual fuck.

Can't wait for AIs to pilot our planes.

Last edited:
The consumer level complexity of this tech has gone from "write a funny poem about Donald Trump in the style of Dr Seuss" to "generate a photorealistic world with these paramaters in this specific style" in the span of a few years.

Need a logo for your business? Here are 1000 options, instantly. Need a commercial for your business? Here are 1000 options, instantly. Need music for your commercial? Need a voice over? Need a drone shot? Need a website? Need customer service reps? Need delivery drivers? Need warehouse workers? (soon)

The scariest part of all this is that most people can't see the writing on the wall, or the smarmy semantical response of "acktchewally it's not REAL ai"

Everyone is fucked lol. Think you're safe in the trades? Guess what every other worker will pivot to when half the workforce is replaced.

Wild fucking times ahead.

WitchHunter

Banned
Just imagine all the possibilities, you can create anything without worrying about budget, scanning parts of the world to make your universe and all that
Raging with the RNG god will be the new norm.

Not that way, the other way! NOOO, the horse has two heads, horses have only one head. Now the horse has 3 legs. NOOOOOOO! You fucking imbecile trash! I want the horse to have winter fur! It generates a horse without ears and long mammoth fur. : DDD

Yes it sucks for artists but this is the best tech revolution in these last few years
Just completely soulless, disgusting, and the lack of understanding of how important human intent and expression is to a game or any medium, is painfully depressing.

Video games aren't art at the end of the day. Just a product and a toy.

You kidding? Have you ever read Enders game?

Imagine you’re playing an elder scrolls esque fantasy game - but you can do literally anything, go into any building, interact with any object - have long drawn out stories with any npc, and it will create all this on the fly, uniquely for you - maybe you’ll find some hidden thing in the game that will tranform it completely build a spaceship that will take you to a different planet. You will be able to interact to such a degree that it will mimic real life interactivity - because it will generate the detail on the fly. And before you say the stories will be shitty - they won’t. Just look at the difference between what Bethesda uses to create emergent quests and storylines Chat GPT can create right now. Given the right parameters it can definitely hit the beats of a typical video game story right now. In 10 years? It will be indistinguishable.

Now all these merging together into a realtime thing is a bit away - but these are the seeds, it will definitely be possible someday.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
IA will allow to cut time and save money on game development, but it's likely not replacing human development

Dutchy

Need a logo for your business? Here are 1000 options, instantly. Need a commercial for your business? Here are 1000 options, instantly. Need music for your commercial? Need a voice over? Need a drone shot? Need a website?

I can tell you've never opened a piece of editing software or a gaming engine in your life.

1000 logo's for my business which I cannot alter and will have so many imperfections or inconsistencies that I will end up having to recreate the entire thing from scratch anyway.

A commercial? Unless you're talking a simple 2D one, which again, is going to lead to the same problems as above + a horrible case of framing/timing/pacing (it needs music too). I also don't see how AI could know what my business and their products look like. Or my employees.

Websites are an interactive medium. So unless there's a piece of software out there that can convert a video into thousands of different elements with their respective code attached then I don't see it happening soon.

Voice-overs are definitely viable enough already. I guess drone shots could too if you're not too worried about it being a super specific angle or location.

All of these hurdles mentioned above will keep existing unless the software goes open-source and we get access to tangible and raw data that is compatible with various other kinds of software. And that is going to take a while I bet.

As of now, this stuff is just a really good way to get some inspiration.

The scariest part of all this is that most people can't see the writing on the wall, or the smarmy semantical response of "acktchewally it's not REAL ai"

I don't think anyone is trying to deny how brilliant this is. It's just funny to see people with absolute 0 knowledge on the subject claiming that the most surreal things are going to happen in just a couple months time. Or are already being done.

It's just funny to see people with absolute 0 knowledge on the subject claiming that the most surreal things are going to happen in just a couple months time. Or are already being done.

I'm a software developer, have been into digital music production (semi professionally) for 25 years, and have family in the graphic arts. I'm not saying this is going to happen in the next few months, but we are unequivocally on the tracks, and the train is gaining momentum at an exponential rate.

At a bare minimum, likely within the next several years, projects that employed large teams of people will be replaced by a single person adept at utilizing AI tools.

I don’t see that happening soon. You’d need to feed so many prompts to steer the AI in the right direction that you’d probably have less lines of code when you script it by hand.

Or you’d need to have a very high tolerance for broken buggy and janky games.

Will see. People always claim this stuff is months away then years later you never hear about it again. What tends to happen is they get very close and then hit a road block they just can’t get over.

kungfuian

If they let it farm data from here it might begin making a disproportionate number of videos featuring people arguing in basements. Can't imagine the persona it would adopt if they fed it Era, begin virtually castrating the world one nut free titless video at a time, lol

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
If they let it farm data from here it might begin making a disproportionate number of videos featuring people arguing in basements. Can't imagine the persona it would adopt if they fed it Era, begin virtually castrating the world one nut free titless video at a time, lol
I'd love to see chat-gpt model trained exclusively off of REEEE. :messenger_ogre::messenger_poop:

kungfuian

I'd love to see chat-gpt model trained exclusively off of REEEE. :messenger_ogre::messenger_poop:
Instead of the very neutral versions that we get now I love the idea of different chat bots with specific personas. Extremely passive aggressive lady bot, far right hillbilly bot, I want to talk to the manager dissatisfied Karen bot, sexual innuendo bot, etc. That would be amazing!

Top Bottom