• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE: Operation Raccoon City - Captivate Trailer and Preview

I think I got the plot of this game:

Some mad Umbrella scientist works in some long forgotten area, he's the only active Umbrella guy in the world and he dreams with Umbrella resurrection, but Spencer is dead and Umbrella is gone for good now...but just "now" not in the "past", he creates a time machine and sends a the very last umbrella squad: a highly trained mercs which mission consists on taking down Leon and all survivors from Raccon City incident.

Hey it explains the high tech stuff!! it's perfect!!

Edit:Also it's amazing Leon is barely a rookie cop, but he reacts like a perfect trained soldier and faces a trained squad of mercs.....well forget this, is Leon Motherfucking S Kennedy after all...

Relaxed Muscle said:
I think I got the plot of this game:

Some mad Umbrella scientist works in some long forgotten area, he's the only active Umbrella guy in the world and he dreams with Umbrella resurrection, but Spencer is dead and Umbrella is gone for good now...but just "now" not in the "past", he creates a time machine and sends a the very last umbrella squad: a highly trained mercs which mission consists on taking down Leon and all survivors from Raccon City incident.

Hey it explains the high tech stuff!! it's perfect!!

Edit:Also it's amazing Leon is barely a rookie cop, but he reacts like a perfect trained soldier and faces a trained squad of mercs.....well forget this, is Leon Motherfucking S Kennedy after all...
oh my god. please please PLEASE introduce time travel into the Resident Evil story

Hixx

rc1.gif

oh lol smiley, how I miss thee

Ooooh! I remember the part in Resident Evil 2 when Leon was killed and then came back as a ghost to save the President's daughter in Spain for Resident Evil 4!

Sarcasm aside, I actually am looking forward to this game. I love the wacky alternative RE games and will probably pick this up because I always wanted to play Left 4 Evil.

MechaX

Well... on the bright side, the game doesn't look horrible.

But now I'm just at the "... so... why should I play this?" stage. Okay... I can use team tactics in a L4D style match with seemingly horrible animation at this point. I can use team work against... Mr. X... okay. Oh wait, I can kill Leon? But... I like Leon and I'm quite certain most of the RE fanbase does as well. Using zombies as shields? I wouldn't think highly trained special forces would be that stupid.

I'm just at the point where I'm wondering why in the hell Capcom decided to do this in lieu of something more substantial on the HD consoles, let alone why they had to outsource it.

Kuraudo

Banned
Looks horrible, and I'm that guy who loved Survivor and Degeneration...

This and Dead Rising 2: Shameless Rerelease have really soured me on Capcom.

randomwab

Haunted said:
what the fuck is this shit

Awful, that's what. In honour of all this news, I booted up Outbreak last night. So good, Capcom need to re-release those games on PSN/XBLA so god damn bad.

Interest fading... the intro CGI pumped me up, but the rest pooped me down =(...

I'll have it under my radar, but so far this is a rental for me, but who knows!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You are dead to me, Capcom.

At least until the next western Monster Hunter release, that is.

But, damn. I guess that if I play this as a generic action game ignoring all ties to Resident Evil it could be fun, but it'll be hard.

RyuHayate

I must be fucking crazy or something because I'm really digging the concept behind this game while there's a whole lot of hate here.

The biggest issue seems to be that most people don't know that the events that take place in the game ARE NOT actually canon.

Capcom has to make that very clear when they unleash the marketing campaign for this title.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Killing Leon in the trailer should be indication enough that this isn't canon.. don't understand why so many people aren't getting it.

Anyway, yeah i'm definitely digging the concept as well, hope Leon isn't the only RE character you get to off in this game, if Capcom aren't going to kill anyone in the main line games, at least let us kill some in this off-shoot.

RyuHayate said:
I must be fucking crazy or something because I'm really digging the concept behind this game while there's a whole lot of hate here.

The biggest issue seems to be that most people don't know that the events that take place in the game ARE NOT actually canon.

Capcom has to make that very clear when they unleash the marketing campaign for this title.

I agree with this man. But I wish it was canon and RE4 starred Zombie Leon.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
RyuHayate said:

Man, come on. Anyone that gives a shit about Resident Evil knows that this can't be canon.

I hope.

randomwab

RyuHayate said:

I see Capcom wanting a piece of the Left4Dead and Call of Duty audience, and I don't like the look of that.

Plus, I'm just bitter that we aren't getting a new Outbreak. And that the Outbreak team (who went on to make Monster Hunter) never got to release Resident Evil Portable.

elohel

yup that mtv preview confirmed what i thought which was

just a re-skinned socom

did they even ever fix socom?

what makes capcom think this game will be any better at launch? this is probably what we'll get lol all we'll get i mean

maybe im wrong, new engine or?

elohel

randomwab said:
Awful, that's what. In honour of all this news, I booted up Outbreak last night. So good, Capcom need to re-release those games on PSN/XBLA so god damn bad.

were they?

would it be possible for someone to like host a server for that lol

how did the online work? was it p2p or?

Hixx

RyuHayate said:

It looks bad regardless of its canonicity. is that a real word??

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just a small nitpick, but shouldn't Leon be carrying an M9 beretta instead of a glock? No wonder he gets killed in the trailer ;p

MechaX

RyuHayate said:

People who've played the bare minimum of RE games know this drives a jeep through the concept of canon.

However, what people are a bit hung up about is the fact that killing RE favorites seems to be a marketing choice. Not merely "Oh, you can play as characters like Leon/Jill/etc" where it would be at least inferred that they probably could die in game. But serious "we're all about killing Leon, let us show you in more than one way" efforts.

RyuHayate

HixxSAFC said:
It looks bad regardless of its canonicity. is that a real word??

I can see how some of the animation needs work and whatnot, but it's not like the game is coming out tomorrow.

Or do you mean the gameplay in general looks bad?

They are ruining RE2 memory with this!!!!

How can Capcom shows this trailer? do they really think we are THAT stupid!!! they should be ashamed of them self with this horrible trailer..... I was ashamed by just watching it, completely dishonoring to the RE name and history :\

More than I'd probably care to admit, the stupid story adds a lot to the context of Resident Evil games. Having a non-canon spinoff basically means "the story doesn't matter", which is why they are leaning so heavily on that aspect in its marketing.

soultron

Banned
MechaX said:
People who've played the bare minimum of RE games know this drives a jeep through the concept of canon.

However, what people are a bit hung up about is the fact that killing RE favorites seems to be a marketing choice. Not merely "Oh, you can play as characters like Leon/Jill/etc" where it would be at least inferred that they probably could die in game. But serious "we're all about killing Leon, let us show you in more than one way" efforts.
How are you supposed to include them otherwise? Everyone wants to be Leon Motherfucking S Kennedy. It wouldn't work in a team versus team game.

Have a bunch of series characters staffing each team? Then the cannon stuff would be screwed in that sense too.

It looks alright. I don't really expect RE stalwarts to like this game, but hey, it's probably not being aimed at you anyway. I'm interested to see actual gameplay of a full match before I pass judgement though. This still wasn't enough of a look into things for me.

RyuHayate

MechaX said:

I can see how offing much beloved characters may rub longtime fans the wrong way, but as one myself I can't deny that it'd be interesting to watch the "what if" scenario unfold.

I was optimistic for some sort of Outbreak scenario reborn into a new title, bringing a bit of life back into the franchise and really getting the 'survival' horror back into RE, but this trailer has really slighted my interest all together.
It just looks boring, like a third person shooter, not particularly original, a few half assed ideas (zomg zombie cover!) a gimmick or two (hunt Leon) and trying to play the nostalgia card (dated RE2 style CG) all of which it falls flat on it's face with
There's gonna have to be some pretty damn impressive gameplay demonstrations for me to even consider purchasing this, oh well

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
man, franchises arnt indicative of a theme or type of gameplay at all anymore.

there could a be a call of duty racing game out tommorow and i wouldnt be surprised

All they really needed to do in this game to make it awesome imo is take RE4, add the ability to walk while aiming/shooting, limit ammo/herbs so that the team really have to work together and share everything to survive and add lots of teamwork elements. Let the team split up at sometimes and then have the headset stop working at random points.

Hopefully they'll remove the Socom pace before release.

Hellsing321 said:
Why would anyone use a zombie as a human shield? WHY!?

Classic RE zombies actual role is to being use as human shield.

Remember when they scared you, have to avoid them, were surronded by them!!!

Remember when they were once one of the iconic enemies in gaming?!!

Now they just act as a cover meat in some shitty co-op game....

Relaxed Muscle said:
Classic RE zombies actual role is to being use as human shield.

Remember when they scared you, have to avoid them, were surronded by them!!!

Remember when they were once one of the iconic enemies in gaming?!!

Now they just act as a cover meat in some shitty co-op game....

The more Capcom try to westernize their games trying to be cool the more they suck ..... I miss when they were Japanese :-(

I'm now even more scared about the future of RE6.............

grindamasta said:
rc1.gif

rc2.gif

Animation is hilarious...

SOCOM CONFRONTATION is that you.

Ok in all reality this games needs some help, the graphics are awful and the animations suck, was expecting a lot more from Capcom, but hey in all reality SLANT 6 is not a good developer.

James Woods said:
lol at people complaining about canon. Looks like it could be a fun spin off.

At this point in the series i don´t even care about the story, for me the resident evil story died with code veronica.

Right Now i am hoping that Resident Evil series will be at least fun, but this co-op shit i don´t like it at all, do the game as in code veronica or zero, but i don´t want to play with some other person just for the sake of passing the game.

Top Bottom