• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real life fucks ups or embarassing situations because you couldn't stop playing games

Ashour

Ledsen said:
Did they have any reason for that? Or are you usually a lazy bastard calling in sick on a regular basis (no offence but that does sound weird) :lol

No, the big boss was in a shitty mode and decided that anyone that day who called sick without the necessary papers to prove it is absent, just my luck, I never call in sick unless I'm really sick we only have 4 days to spare the whole year.

I've skipped the occasional day of school like most of us here but currently, I graduated College in May and still dont have a job....

I have applied to lots of places but I am definitely not giving it my all, mostly in part to the holiday gaming rush.

Gamble said:
I missed a friends Birthday party last night because I was in an instance on WoW, and I missed playing a match of EndWar last night again because I was in an instance in WoW.....:lol

I dont see what is so funny about someone ruining their life and not really caring.

I will never understand how some ppl fall for these MMO scams.

KevinRo

The Halo3 Beta was available early to me at midnight on the exact same day I had my Organic Chem II Final. Well, I stayed up 'till 6 playing it and was 1 hour late for my final. Ended up getting a B in the class :/

I picked up SC4 at release. Played all night till about 7 slept for 2 hours Then went to the river with my friends and we went tubing and wakeboarding. Drove all the way home till i was about a mile away from my house and fell asleep. Crashed my car into a tree. Luckily I was okay and my totaled Lancer was still worth about 2500 due to the demand for parts.

carlosp

Banned
well i have missed some Uni classes dating Girls but Never because of games but i am a offline Player anyway playing mostly Action adventures. i believe those are less addicting.

Quixzlizx

I played Civ 3 for a 30 hour stretch once (with breaks for food) and I slept through a quiz (and two classes) the next day. The instructor allowed me to make it up though. I learned my lesson, and it hasn't happened since.

Variable

rezuth said:
Around 99 I was hardcore playing CS on a modem. Eventually racking up the phone bill to €1200... I was not allowed to play for a loooong while. :lol

Edit: Oh yea, it also costed me a lot of school hours but I was not really enjoying school at that time because they really had no interest in helping me with my problems. I eventually graduated and my score was pretty much 60% A and 40% F, nothing in the middle. That is me in a nutshell, either great at something or awful at it.

Almost the same thing happened to me in 99, except only a few extra hundred.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
industrian said:
Education:

I realised at the beginning of 2004 that videogaming would cause me to fail my second year of college. So I deleted everything except from Factor X (the free game by Fallen Angel Industries) from my hard drive. I barely passed. The arcade mode is a fucking timesink.

I also nearly failed my third year due to Morrowind addiction. But I managed to finish all four years.

Work:

In 2002 when I worked at McDonalds, I burned myself on the hand (I have a scar of it) because I spent the whole night developing and testing my RPG Maker 2000 game. I fell asleep at the fry station and you can guess the rest.

Did you ever release the RPG Maker game, at least?

Pachinko

These are some rough tales, my guess is alot of us gamers suffer from similar social /seasonal depression/anxiety issues , final season for a student is a time full of stress, combined with being the end of the year means you have all the hell of christmas and perhaps tons of real life obligations , it all comes to a head and you want somewhere to escape. Videogames, internet , whatever, anything that involves none of whatever is making you stressed out.

There's also a slight fear or success going on, passing finals means harder school work next semester and finishing grad school means a great job typically combined with alot of stress, years of worrying about debt from student loans/mortgages and all that other fun stuff. You begin to think that just avoiding real life and not growing up is a better alternative.

So honestly it's perfectly understandable , these addictions.

For me , internet and gaming routinly keep me up upwards of 2-3 hours later then I should be, typically only on work nights because mentally I know as soon as I go to bed another day of work will only come faster and it'll be time slept + time at work before I'm home able to relax again.

Kabuki Waq said:
I dont see what is so funny about someone ruining their life and not really caring.

Missing a friend's birthday party is ruining your life?

ATF487

This semester I was playing Metroid Fusion and starting FF7 one night, and had an exam the next morning.

Didn't end up going, but luckily the lowest grade was dropped. If I had known the material and went, I probably could have gotten an A instead of a B+ though :(

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Checking out GAF right before my brother's wedding comes to mind.

Once I was so immersed in a game of Terrence Mountbatten III's Orcs and Ghoulish Nasty Thangs that I shat myself and wallowed in it for several hours.
You win:lol

Solsc

In high school I was addicted to this MMORPG called astonia 3 and my mom caught my up numerous times at 8am still playing from the night before. That was pretty embarrassing.

I didnt finish my college final exam (oil painting) and so instead of going to school without it, I stayed up to 9am reading chapters 1-300 of the Naruto Manga. I heard it was good and as an artist I use that excuse....but I still felt dirty....

S1lentTwo

Banned
Pachinko said:
I know as soon as I go to bed another day of work will only come faster and it'll be time slept + time at work before I'm home able to relax again.

Haha, I feel the same way. Thought I was just weird...:lol

There were definitely things I was late to because of gaming.

I've never admitted that games were the cause, though.

Never anything major that I can think of. Mostly just stuff like not calling my girl back in a timely fashion. Or not making it to X location before closing time.

When Ocarina of Time came out I stayed up all night and well into the next morning playing it. The problem is the next morning was Thanksgiving and I had to cook the turkey and a whole bunch of other stuff. I didn't screw anything up, but man was I tired - and a little embarassed.

Also, Fallout 3 had me up to at least 4:00 in the morning pretty much every night for over a month. I'm glad work hours at GT don't start until 10:00.

Az987

all good things
I was homeschooled from from middle school through high school..

All i did all day was play video games

Mode

Pop On Arrival said:
Dropped out of HS for a year to play counter-strike.

;_;

I skipped finals during my senior year of HS to play Counterstrike. ... unfortunately my K/D ratio for that day was 0.1 and I never graduated high school... or went to college... or got a job.... or became a video game champion...

so now, 12 years later I'm thirty and dirty, but I own an Xbox 360 at least... :(

Will someone plz donate me an HDTV? Anime is being aired in HD now, and my regular TV isn't enough to handle the greatness of Naruto.

More like "video game fuck ups because you had to do stuff in real life."

I missed downing a very tough raid boss in WoW because I went to a stupid baseball game. It was the only boss I didn't defeat with my guild, and I'll never forgive myself for doing something in real life. What a tragic waste.

FutureZombie said:
More like "video game fuck ups because you had to do stuff in real life."

I missed downing a very tough raid boss in WoW because I went to a stupid baseball game. It was the only boss I didn't defeat with my guild, and I'll never forgive myself for doing something in real life. What a tragic waste.

Joke? Right? Please?

Spruchy

Kabuki Waq said:

Missing Friend's birthday party (regardless of how close you are to said friend) to have fun in a game equals a ruined life? Do you not get invited to many parties or something and put them up on this high horse? Don't get me wrong there are awesome parties but also an equal amount of lame ones.

Spruchy said:
Missing Friend's birthday party (regardless of how close you are to said friend) to have fun in a game equals a ruined life? Do you not get invited to many parties or something and put them up on this high horse? Don't get me wrong there are awesome parties but also an equal amount of lame ones.

Missing a friends bday for an online game means you are on the path to lonely loserdom. I dont know I think missing a friends bday is pretty big show of disrespect.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sigh, this thread reminds me of my fucked up shit. Ugh.

Mode said:
I skipped finals during my senior year of HS to play Counterstrike. ... unfortunately my K/D ratio for that day was 0.1 and I never graduated high school... or went to college... or got a job.... or became a video game champion...

so now, 12 years later I'm thirty and dirty, but I own an Xbox 360 at least... :(

Will someone plz donate me an HDTV? Anime is being aired in HD now, and my regular TV isn't enough to handle the greatness of Naruto.

i respect the fact that anyone can become addicted to anything, but seriously, i can't see how some of you guys could put playing computer games over these huge life changing moments.

Kabuki Waq said:
Missing a friends bday for an online game means you are on the path to lonely loserdom. I dont know I think missing a friends bday is pretty big show of disrespect.

Birthdays don't mean shit. Unless you think having one less year left on this earth is something to be celebrated.

Forkball

Wow, some of the replies here are pretty shocking. I admit, sometimes gaming has been detrimental to my grades, but never so bad that it caused me to fail a class. I can do poorly in classes due to my own incompetence and I don't need games to assist me.

antiloop

I skipped a lot of lessons in high school when we upgraded to ADSL from 56k.

Played a lot of CS.

We played CS,GTA1 and Quake in class sometimes also.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I failed out of college because I was to busy playing a mud. I would spend 12-16 hours a day on that game and not bother going to class. I am still paying for that fuck up 12 years later as I am still repaying student loans. I like my job but it is a dead end job because I did not graduate from college. I went from a solid 3.0 average my first 2 years to failing out 2 years later. I regret what I did every single day my life is pretty pathetic because of that fuck up. I would talk more about it but I need to brush off my car and get ready for a shitty graveyard shift that I am stuck working ever single saturday and sunday.

Somnid

This thread makes me feel good about myself. The most I've done is turn in some sloppy homework every once in a while. I also spent 2 whole summers playing nothing but Diablo II but it was either that or work a summer job. I certainly didn't need the money.

I did know a guy who dropped out of high school to play videogames. He's still a loser to this day. It's interesting because he was quite intellegent, he just never cared to do anything with it. He was funny as hell too.

neoism

Fireblend said:
I spent like 6 months of my life exclusively playing Ragnarok Online at least 12 hours a day; it had no major consequences on my HS grades, but yeah, wasted a ton of time on that.
Yep the only mmo I ever played, my brother in law got me into it!
I'd say I have waay over 1200 hours in that game! I quit in 07, but my brother in law still plays it somewhat. I hope to never play a mmo ever again!

Fireblend said:
I spent like 6 months of my life exclusively playing Ragnarok Online at least 12 hours a day; it had no major consequences on my HS grades, but yeah, wasted a ton of time on that.

neoism said:
Yep the only mmo I ever played, my brother in law got me into it!
I'd say I have waay over 1200 hours in that game! I quit in 07, but my brother in law still plays it somewhat. I hope to never play a mmo ever again!

I'm glad I'm not the only one *sob*

Almost sacrificed my major for that game (marks weren't exactly spectacular going into my third year)...

Wanace

2rrteh5.jpg

robertj15

Countless arguments with my ex-girlfriend and current one. I've learned to manage my play time with this one though; my ex had to deal with my competitive counter-strike addiction for three years.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
robertj15 said:
Countless arguments with my ex-girlfriend and current one. I've learned to manage my play time with this one though; my ex had to deal with my competitive counter-strike addiction for three years.

A mate of mine is engaged to his long term game-hating girlfriend. She's still stuck in the stone age point of view that anybody who plays any game is immediately a massive, obese, pimply, socially retarded nerd.

One day him and my ex-housemate were playing a round of Worms World Party together. When she saw them she cried.

Prezhulio

back during the dial up days, i tied up the phoneline for about 15 hours playing diablo 2, and there was a death in the family that they'd been trying to get through to our house line for hours. :/

quest said:
I failed out of college because I was to busy playing a mud. I would spend 12-16 hours a day on that game and not bother going to class. I am still paying for that fuck up 12 years later as I am still repaying student loans. I like my job but it is a dead end job because I did not graduate from college. I went from a solid 3.0 average my first 2 years to failing out 2 years later. I regret what I did every single day my life is pretty pathetic because of that fuck up. I would talk more about it but I need to brush off my car and get ready for a shitty graveyard shift that I am stuck working ever single saturday and sunday.

Eh, you could have done worse, I suppose. Still have a long time to make up for it.

pje122

Prezhulio said:
back during the dial up days, i tied up the phoneline for about 15 hours playing diablo 2, and there was a death in the family that they'd been trying to get through to our house line for hours. :/

Hahaha! Sorry, but that made me laugh so hard.

S1lentTwo

Banned
I played a crapload of Phantasy Star Online and it hurt my grades badly to the point where i barely graduated HS. Thankfully I'm taking college much more seriously...

Back when I played WoW, I grouped with a guy who suddenly realized that he was supposed to be at work hours ago.

Personally I was late for work one day when the SSHD Trophy patch came out and I was trying to nail one of them in the morning.

Formless

Generally I waste too much time playing games or using the Internet, the latter recently. I guess there isn't one single very big screw up, but I should spent more time with friends or taking care of myself physically and academically.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I haven't really encountered any fuck ups or embarrassing situations other than avoiding some family events to play everquest in high school. They were embarrassing only because family would reference EQ sometimes lol.

I also got shitty grades in High School because of EQ.

sooooo shitty grades.

Top Bottom