• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really weird shit that you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayo

Banned
Kodiak said:
I often will read an entire thread, then write a thought out/lengthy response. I'll then re-read it and edit it a few times, then delete the whole thing because I think no one on GAF gives a shit about anything I have to say.
I do this too.

Sometimes when i'm talking to people, I sometimes imagine what would happen if I was to shoot them in the face, or dismember them.
I like to arrange the loose bananas at work so they spell out a swear word.
Whenever I see a phallic object, I get an erection.
I am turned on by beastiality quite a lot :(

Grug

I apologise for things where no fault is involved.

Like I'll be walking down the street, someone will be walking the other way, and we do the little juking left and right confusion thing... "sorry!".

Ordered stir fry beef with no mushrooms last night, they gave me mushrooms. I took it back and when they fixed it up, I apologised to them for the trouble.

Someone bumps into me with a shopping trolley, I say sorry.

I don't actually feel sorry, and I dont really think before I say it, it just happens automatically. Sometimes afterwards I get mad at myself for it because it makes me look like a pussy.

Google

Grug said:

Like I'll be walking down the street, someone will be walking the other way, and we do the little juking left and right confusion thing... "sorry!".

Ordered stir fry beef with no mushrooms last night, they gave me mushrooms. I took it back and when they fixed it up, I apologised to them for the trouble.

I don't actually feel sorry, and I dont really think before I say it, it just happens automatically. Sometimes afterwards I get mad at myself for it because it makes me look like a pussy.

You're English, it's fine.

lexdysia

Banned
Robert Ashley said:
"Really weird shit that you do" would make a great song title.

That's one of my ticks. Almost everything I read or hear goes through a band name/album title/song title process that evaluates its potential or appropriateness for the aforementioned nomenclatural duties.

You really need to listen to some early (mid-2006) episodes of the Never Not Funny podcast.
They did this often. Unfortunately, you have to pay to get access, but $20 for 60 episodes is a steal. (It's not just for the band names that you should listen, but that's a great reason to start).

Google

Grug said:
Australian actually.

I was only joking - its a horribly English trait that inflicts us all.

"Sorry you werent looking where you were going"

"Sorry you fucked up my Steak"

"Sorry you're being a complete fucking retard"

etc.

Grug said:

Yeah, I'm sort of the same way.

Another weird thing I do is walk really fast. Just about everyone I know has commented on it. The running gag is that I have to walk backwards to go at a normal pace. :lol I'll admit I tend to feel rushed most of the time, but I generally just have a fast pace.

zoku88

Grug said:

I do that too..

I like to randomly go up to older women (grandma age) and talk to them like I know them. It makes their day and they'll be scratching their head all day trying to figure out where they know me from. Also, I'll yell out of my car window "you're the man!" at random people outside in their yards.

Also I like to scratch my balls then smell my fingers.....

A good amount of what has been posted here, especially the repetitive hand-washing and fear of germs/other people's filth is for sure OCD.

I'm a therapist and have seen all sorts of cases of OCD in the 16 years I've been doing this. It's only bad when it really hampers your life in some way making it more difficult for you to function.

Checking things a certain number of times is an OCD trait/symptom as well.

As for me, I like to stand facing the back of an elevator. I do this to see how uncomfortable people get when I do this. It's interesting breaking social norms in small ways to see how people react.

-OGz-GLUTEUS_MAXIMUS said:
A good amount of what has been posted here, especially the repetitive hand-washing and fear of germs/other people's filth is for sure OCD.

I'm a therapist and have seen all sorts of cases of OCD in the 16 years I've been doing this. It's only bad when it really hampers your life in some way making it more difficult for you to function.

Checking things a certain number of times is an OCD trait/symptom as well.

As for me, I like to stand facing the back of an elevator. I do this to see how uncomfortable people get when I do this. It's interesting breaking social norms in small ways to see how people react.
How is it being a therapist? I've considered maybe following that career path.

Grug said:
You like the vinegar smell?

I think it's more the odd smell factor. I like smelling different things and trying to figure out what it smells like. Like if somebody says, "wow that sinks!", I have to smell it. In my job I've seen multiple dead bodies but burnt bodies by far smell the worst.

Also I swipe my fingers inbetween my toes and dig in my bellybutton and smell those things. My wife just shakes her head in disgust. Sometimes I will sctatch myself and chase her around with my hand. Fun times, but I usually don't get laid on those days....

human5892

Queen of Denmark
KimiSan said:
This happens to me too a lot and looking through the thread it seems like it happens to a lot of people.
Seems like it's a perfectly normal thing and we should just accept it and attempt to not make any more additions of embarrassing moments to our varied and wide collections.
The problem with me is that I get so worked up about adding new embarrassing moments to my portfolio that it causes me to shy away from saying or doing things even remotely "risky". I end up deleting a lot of potential GAF posts for this very reason -- I chicken out and worry that after I post it I'll realize that I inadvertently said something idiotic.

Of course, the rational part of me knows that it's not a big deal to make the occasional dumb post on an internet forum with a bunch of strangers, but the rational part isn't what's giving me trouble.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
human5892 said:
The problem with me is that I get so worked up about adding new embarrassing moments to my portfolio that it causes me to shy away from saying or doing things even remotely "risky". I end up deleting a lot of potential GAF posts for this very reason -- I chicken out and worry that after I post it I'll realize that I inadvertently said something idiotic.

Of course, the rational part of me knows that it's not a big deal to make the occasional dumb post on an internet forum with a bunch of strangers, but the rational part isn't what's giving me trouble.

Me too

:(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever I shower I have to wash my body, rinse it, then put shampoo in my hair and brush my teeth while it soaks in.
I've never done it any other way.

pnjtony

I play out situations in the worst possible way, generally through the lens of an action movie.

Example:
When I was in the air force, the base I worked at was a secure base as well as the main building. In order to get a drink or take a piss you had to punch out of the area with your card. I remember hitting the Coke machine down the hall and when I put my dollar in I could see behind myself through a tiny reflection off of some metal on the machine. I totally in the matter of seconds imagined if some terrorist came up behind me, i'd know it. Whip around with a pen and jab him in the neck, make it back to the MOD in a blaze of bullets and hit the KILL button on the satellite terminal (completely real). This whole elaborate scene played out in my head very fast and it happens to me all the time.

I also declare tha something is "going into the movie". Like if I say something funny or come up with a neat situation, I always say "That's going in the movie". There is no movie of course.

Sometimes when I dream, it's as if they're being filmed in front of a live studio audience. I sometimes dream in sitcom format.

I think maybe I watched too much TV as akid...I'm just realizing that my quirks are all centered around TV or movies.

ninj4junpei said:
How is it being a therapist? I've considered maybe following that career path.
Let me just say, it's NEVER the same day twice. I work in a community mental health setting with the most severely mentally ill folks. It's very intersting. Pay sucks, but benefits are good.

ScientificNinja said:
I am obsessed with symmetry. If I scratch, say, the left side of my face, I have to scratch the exact opposite spot on the right side of my face with the same amount of pressure, friction etc. If I get the wrong spot, I have to balance that on the other side as well. This has the potential to occupy me for several minutes. I've tried 'not' scratching/poking the opposite side and it drove me to absolute distraction.

In any conversation, no matter how (in)appropriate, if someone says "two weeks", I involuntarily start saying "two weeks" as well, maybe two or three times, in a way that's similar to the customs scene in Total Recall. My sister has the same problem, apparently.

When I talk to people about places and locations, I invariably end up physically pointing in the direction of where ever I'm talking about.

THIS!

Also, if I have to choose a # for anything, or whenever I have to set a clock, or coffee pot timer, IT WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO BE AN EVEN NUMBER, or like 10:14 PM never 10:15 !!

kojacker

I talk out loud made up conversations with people I haven't seen in years especially a dead ex-gf, I've started doing this more and more over the past year. I usually do it at night on my own but I've also started doing it at work at my desk. I kind of dont notice it anymore, well sometimes i catch myself on and wonder what he fuck i was just doing. If a housemate or someone at work catches me out i just make up some nonsense.. like I'm just acting out something i saw on youtube :lol

They're happy conversations usually, and I do a weird overblown impersonation of their voice and act out their mannerisms when I do it. it's pretty weird thing to do.

I also cannot use any kitchen utensils (forks, pots, frying pan, etc) or opened food items that belongs to anyone else, no matter how clean it is. The thought of eating with a fork someone else has used could seriously make me throw up.

I get very paranoid and worried about answering phones. If i am in the house on my house and the phone rings i will not pick it up, unless I know for certain someone has arranged to call me at that time. I find it really stressful to even imagine answering it and what it could be about. I have switched off my mobile now for last 3 weeks, and I will turn it back on this Friday cos i'll text landlord to let him know my rent is in bank.. then i'll turn it off again for however long.. really odd thing i currently work in a call centre answering phones for a living, i dont know how that shit worked out!

I get really excited about things for about 2 weeks then the notion goes off me. For example about 3 weeks ago i got really into learning my CISCO stuff, bought a new router for all my practise, haven't looked at it last week. Did the same with a guitar I bought, lessons lasted 2 weeks. Did it with a programming language i wanted to learn, bought a shit load of books from Amazon - notion lasted about 2 weeks and never picked them up again.

I talk myself out of going for things or doing things i really want to do because I'm afraid i'll embarrass myself or other people will make fun/feel pity for me. I've wanted to apply for teacher training last few years and every year i get the application forms, but have a small speech impediment, and i'm afraid if i apply it'll be noticed and they'd kick me out because of it.

Gawd.. this is turning out to be a long assed confessional post and i haven't even started..

dagZ

RyuHayate said:
I'm always making excuses to friends as to why I can't go out anywhere.

Edit: Oh, and I blush when a large group of people are looking at me.

are we twins? :lol

1) I like to beat time. Not a weird habit but I tend to it really forcefully. To other people, they are wondering why I am slapping my leg.

2) When I go on the treadmill at the gym, I look at the time for math patterns. For example:

Time - 17:16

To me, I think - 1+6=7, 7-1=6. Sometimes I have established patterns I want. So for that example, it would be 8:7. Since I want things symmetrical, I wait until it gets to be 8:8 before picking a different ratio. So, I'd be satisfied when it reaches 17:17, 17:19, 17:26, etc.

It helps pass the time, even if I am listening to music.

3) I watch people's body language for every interaction in front of me. One of my biggest pet peeves is a boss who gives a limp handshake upon the first meeting. Even worse if they look down or start acting nervously when around someone. I also look people in the eye and am disgusted if they look down and around. It is a sign of weakness. The first time, I deliberately feel out the person.

4) I do the whole "think about conversations before having them" thing also. I think it is just that I have to think about these hypothetical situations, even if I know they will never happen. No, it isn't shit like having conversation with the prom queen or some shit like that. Like today, I was thinking of a conversation about quitting my job in the vein of The Simpsons (when Marge becomes pregnant with Maggie) even though I have no intention of doing so.

5) One of my newest hobbies is annoying tailgaters. I'm 200 lbs, bench 355, squat 445, muscular, and have very low bodyfat so I figure I'd be able to handle 9 out of 10 fights. One chick almost ran into me and was trying to get past. So I sped up to catch up with a slower moving car and blocked her for about two minutes. She was obviously frustrated but she was on a cell phone when driving, which only justified being an asshole all the more.

If I sit in a room with other people waiting for something (doctors office, etc), I really have no clue where to look and end up looking at the floor or ceiling.

OgnodoD

I make little challenges to myself to get things done that I really don't want to do. Five minutes to pull weeds, GO! That's about as strange as I get.

Grug said:

That's just common decency though. I wish more people would be like that.

bengraven

If I wake up naturally (as in: no alarm), I usually sit up and wrap my blanket around me and just sit there, half asleep. I just sit there in my own teepee until I get the will to get up. I don't do this now that I'm living with my girlfriend, unless she gets up first or is out of town.

I also can't sleep without a fan on.

I, like that other in this thread, say I'm sorry for everything, even when someone else does it to someone. Not because of common courtesy, but just as a knee-jerk reaction caused by assuming everything is my fault.

painey

I talk to myself at times and refer to myself as "D.P" (my initials) ie "come on D.P." when trying to lift a heavy box

I have a sentance in my mind that I constantly think about, either on its own or part of a paragraph. The latest one is "So, i'm standing there..."

I switch letters of two-word things, for instance Poctor Depper and Piva Vinata.

I say "Niet" instead of No when giving a one word answer, despite not being russian. Also "Danke" for Thanks.

Blueblur1

bjork said:
I think about driving into oncoming traffic a lot. Or into trees, telephone poles, etc. Not to die or to kill anyone, but to get my car totaled.
Same here. especially after my last accident when I did hit oncoming traffic :p

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
some really weird things in this thread :lol love it.

I always look at someone's chest/heart when talking, I don't stare, but my eyes are drawn there now and then, as if I'm looking into their soul rather than their deceitful face/eyes *shrug*. Its subconscious but can be problematic when I suddenly realise I've been looking at a woman's cleavage since she started talking :lol

I turn into a demon when I'm controlling a vehicle. For some reason I suddenly have no concern for my safety, I'm not scared of death. I'm a fucking freak when I ride motorbikes in Asia where there's like no road laws and I once drove my car so fast on the motorway that a police car was chasing me for like 5 miles but I didn't know and he couldn't catch me, he only caught up when I pulled off onto a regular road and drove at normal speeds. He let me off too :D Must've been impressed by my skills. But I've made a conscious decision to be safe now.

When I was little I used to always try to hold my breath when going through a tunnel, never made it to the other side though.

and when driving along a road (in my dads car or something) I would always imagine some kind of ninja running alongside the car, jumping from lamppost to lamppost acrobatically, swinging and running and just bouncing off obstacles. was kind of hypnotic, like a looping gif. and you reach a point where you just dont want to stop cos you've been going so long....

and when I'm driving myself, I always think "what if I drift round this corner?" or "what if I don't break for this turn?"

yeah...I'm probably gonna die on the road.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I eat chips in a bowl with a spoon. In fact, I try to eat everything without ever using my hands.

I tend to say random quotes from anything throughout the day.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
tapping.png

This. This is what i do.

pyros

I doodle alot, especially in a meeting or on the phone, my secretary has to be very careful
what she put in front of me, I've destroyed many important document with my art.

God I do all sorts of weird stuff.

Frequently talk in weird accents that have no relation to my own. Only do this with my flatmate though, anyone else would think I was insane.

Always look at blokes' crotches, no matter who they are or how old they are. Can't help myself.

Have to shampoo my hair twice when I have a shower. I think I'll have a bad hair day if I don't, but it probably makes my hair worse seeing as I shower everyday, sometimes twice a day. If I can't remember if I've done it twice already I'll do it again - so some days I'll have shampooed my hair 3+ times.

Also rehearse conversations in my head, although everyone else seems to do it, so I don't feel so bad about that now!

I go red really easily, even if I don't actually feel embarrassed. Then I get embarrassed about the fact I am red and that makes it even worse.

If I've been playing the fuck out of a videogame, I start to apply it to real life - like after playing Crackdown, I look at buildings and think that it'd be a good one to climb - lots of good ledges etc. Also want to drive like a maniac after too much GTA.

Also I seem to have a lot of bloke-ish tendancies, but I'm not a tomboy at all. Weird.

Bloody hell that was epic!

When having sex with my gf, I love to lick her butt hole... In fact, I have a sort of fascination concerning anal stimulation. However, I'm positive that I'm heterosexual (in case some of you were wondering).

pyros

electricshake said:
Also want to drive like a maniac after too much GTA.

God, I'm doing that too, I keep telling myself, a hotdog won't cure my injuries if i shoot out through my windscreen.

I drink entirely too much of my beverage (cold) when eating dinner. At restaurants I always ask for multiple refills and after I'm done, I drank so much of it that I shiver and my teeth chatter, like I was outside in the snow or something

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I hate the red powdery stuff you get on your fingers when you eat flaming hot cheetos... so I use chopstix when I eat em.

LakeEarth

I have embarrassing moments in my life pop in my head and it makes me lose control of myself for a few seconds. Its weird as shit.

EDIT - I also have a problem with schedules. I NEED to be on time on things. When I was a child, apparently if I was told "we'd be leaving at 5", I'd have my shoes on at 5pm on the dot and yell at everyone "WE HAVE TO GO!!" I actually got child therapy for that. Now I can get like that, but I rarely go crazy over something like that. I'm even late sometimes, even though I know exactly how long it takes to drive to every friends house, so I know exactly when to leave my house to get to a place when I said I would.

Madrin

ScientificNinja said:
I am obsessed with symmetry. If I scratch, say, the left side of my face, I have to scratch the exact opposite spot on the right side of my face with the same amount of pressure, friction etc. If I get the wrong spot, I have to balance that on the other side as well. This has the potential to occupy me for several minutes. I've tried 'not' scratching/poking the opposite side and it drove me to absolute distraction.
How did I miss this? I do the exact same thing and I've been doing it since childhood. Try as I might to stop myself, more often than not I don't realize it's going on until I've already been "balancing out" for a couple of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom