• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RealTime Worlds closes

Neuromancer said:
Copied from a post I made over on the other APB thread, here's a direct quote from an interview with RTW studio manager Colin Macdonald at Eurogamer:

I believe this quote shows that Real Time Worlds was ready and willing to start work on Crackdown 2 but Microsoft was a little bitch about it.
uhhhh...it's their fucking money and it was a totally new and unproven IP. why the fuck would they want to jump into a sequel before assessing the success level of the first?

as much as you can understand RTW's position in not really being able to wait, you should be able to understand MS' position of needing to wait to ensure they're not throwing hard-earned good money after bad.

jax (old)

Banned
from crackdown to bomba.

should have stuck to a normal game.

lesson for everyone else in the the industry.

disagree about MS being a "bitch". Them waiting to see if the product could be viable isn't being a bitch. Its smart business decision.

The only people to blame here is RTW and the decision to do APB

Dreams-Visions said:
uhhhh...it's their fucking money and it was a totally new and unproven IP. why the fuck would they want to jump into a sequel before assessing the success level of the first?

as much as you can understand RTW's position in not really being able to wait, you should be able to understand MS' position of needing to wait to ensure they're not throwing hard-earned good money after bad.
'Uhhhh...' The main reason I brought it up was because of all the people saying RTW were dumbasses for having said no to M,S and that APB was this dream project they wanted to work on no matter what. The quotes I posted I think shoot a hole in that theory.

And yes I can understand MS's position but I can also criticize it. Crackdown had good reviews and lot of positive buzz, even if it wasn't a big money maker we all know sequels generally sell better and it's common practice in the industry today to make sequels even if the first game didn't exactly sell gangbusters. So that's 'why the fuck' MS might have wanted to jump into a sequel.

duckroll

MS has no blame at all for RTW going out of business. They only have themselves to blame. Crackdown is one game. It would be unreasonable for them to expect MS to automatically want to commit to a series from a single title. As a company, you have to manage your business around reality, not around assumptions that everyone is going to lean backwards to keep you in business.

duckroll said:
MS has no blame at all for RTW going out of business. They only have themselves to blame. Crackdown is one game. It would be unreasonable for them to expect MS to automatically want to commit to a series from a single title. As a company, you have to manage your business around reality, not around assumptions that everyone is going to lean backwards to keep you in business.
Perhaps. The whole thing is unfortunate. I wish it had turned out differently, for everyone involved.

APB_corrected_1284763525.jpg

Darklord said:
Yeah because huge marketing, Star Wars and Bioware is totally like APB.

It doesn't offset the fact that Old Republic's budget is fucking insane. Of course it'll do better/last much longer than APB. Will it make the profit EA is hoping it will make is the question and that's why I'm afraid for Bioware.

duckroll

GillianSeed79 said:
It doesn't offset the fact that Old Republic's budget is fucking insane. Of course it'll do better/last much longer than APB. Will it make the profit EA is hoping it will make is the question and that's why I'm afraid for Bioware.

Even if TOR fails in the long run, Bioware still has 2 very successful on-going franchises which they have expanded and continue to expand in other media formats. Bioware is also owned by EA, a huge publisher with tons of money to fall back on. A very different situation from RTW being a self-funded publisher-developer who decided to throw an ungodly amount of money on a concept which was so risky, with nothing to fall back on whatsoever.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Nothing wrong with developing an MMO. There's definitely a market for a new, good MMO. APB sadly however, wasn't good (based on the open beta). It had nothing what made Crackdown such a good game.

Top Bottom