• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reason 1,000,000 why Aspyr sucks: Star Wars: Battlefront Classic Collection used modder's work without credit

ManaByte

Gold Member

Although developer Aspyr had insisted that the Collection "does not include any code or content that is taken from uncredited sources", modder iamashaymin found their mod had not only been included in the Collection's debut trailer – something Aspyr said was done "mistakenly" – but also in the final game, too.

"What we found on release was a very broken game, with a lot of issues we have fixed in the past. As well as any mod support for both games being quite badly damaged although just barely functional for Battlefront 2. (All mods for Battlefront 1 are broken now).

"There's loads of these weird issues that are just screaming rushed development," Iamashaymin added. "Some textures in the game are even muddled with those from Battlefront 1, like Kashyyyk's water is blue-like in Battlefront 1 and not gray-like in Battlefront 2 and the DLC maps themselves use completely the wrong textures in a lot of places," Iamashaymin explained.

"These are all things we can fix or just wouldn't have broken to start with. Every few hours there's something new we need to look into and add to a list of planned fixes. And this is not even beginning to touch content and features from other released versions of these games from 20 years ago not present, like four-screen splitscreen."

Once again, Aspyr is a hack port house with delusions of grandeur.

Once again, Aspyr is a hack port house with delusions of grandeur.
It's worse because they're inconsistent. I'd rather a developer either release bad game after bad game or good game after good game.

With Aspyr it's a coin flip for every single release. Hoping this game is fixed enough by next year.

cireza

My first experience with their games has been Tomb Raider I/II/III and you can really feel the complete lack of vision over the product being delivered. Not that the game is entirely bad, but it smells rushed development and complete absence of testing/user feedback everywhere. The "new" games are so dark you can't see anything in some places.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
My first experience with their games has been Tomb Raider I/II/III and you can really feel the complete lack of vision over the product being delivered. Not that the game is entirely bad, but it smells rushed development and complete absence of testing/user feedback everywhere. The "new" games are so dark you can't see anything in some places.

They didn't even make the Tomb Raider remaster. A modder and Crystal Dynamics did.

LordCBH

I remember when they sold KOTOR 2’on switch by advertising to everyone that they were gonna restore the cut content, and then just straight up cancelled the cut content restoration after everyone bought the game. Fucking shitbag devs man.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I remember when they sold KOTOR 2’on switch by advertising to everyone that they were gonna restore the cut content, and then just straight up cancelled the cut content restoration after everyone bought the game. Fucking shitbag devs man.

Oh they're even scummier than that. There's this Star Wars fake scooper on Twitter (who used to beg another legitimate insider for scoops before that person was falsely cancelled) and someone in Aspyr kept leaking to this guy that they were making a KOTOR remake years before it was officially announced to drum up hype among Star Wars fans.

Hrk69

Mind-boggling. Especially when you think about the fact that someone is in charge of management.

LordCBH

Oh they're even scummier than that. There's this Star Wars fake scooper on Twitter (who used to beg another legitimate insider for scoops before that person was falsely cancelled) and someone in Aspyr kept leaking to this guy that they were making a KOTOR remake years before it was officially announced to drum up hype among Star Wars fans.

Damn. Had no idea they did that. I’m still just salty they did KOTOR remasters and went “switch only. Fuck everyone else.”

Season 1 Love GIF by Paramount+

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Going to be dickish about this:

If the modder didn't get permission to leverage the original copyright holder's work, why shouldn't the original or subsequent copyright holder enjoy the same privilege regarding the modder's work?

Someone want to explain this double standard to me?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Going to be dickish about this:

If the modder didn't get permission to leverage the original copyright holder's work, why shouldn't the original or subsequent copyright holder enjoy the same privilege regarding the modder's work?

Someone want to explain this double standard to me?
Everything has an automatic copyright by the creator, it doesn't matter if someone added or changed your work, you didn't create those changes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Everything has an automatic copyright by the creator, it doesn't matter if someone added or changed your work, you didn't create those changes.

Exceptions apply to derivative works, and what is a mod if not a derivative work? It has no value outside of the context of that original work.

Look at it this way; say you wrote a book, had it published and started work writing a sequel. How would you feel if between the time you had the idea for the follow-up, and finished it ready for publication some rando on the internet wrote a fan-fic with the same plot. What are you supposed to do? Pay off this unwanted leech because they beat you to the punch? Abandon your work and start over? Or just do what you intended to and eat as much shit as required to rightfully profit from your own labour?

I'm all for option C there because that seems the correct thing morally speaking.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
How would you feel if between the time you had the idea for the follow-up, and finished it ready for publication some rando on the internet wrote a fan-fic with the same plot.
Well that would be annoying but it's not the same situation as someone altering existing work, and it also happens more often than you think, people have the same ideas all the time and there's nothing you can do about that; Candy and Love & death are a recent example of that phenomenon.

MiguelItUp

Wow, what a fucking mess, lmao. I was on vacation and was really looking forward to this. It just got worse and worse, lol.

Top Bottom