• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent Assassin's Creeds games were supposed to be female only, until executives intervened

Faithless83

Banned
Mass effect made it work. No reason other games can't.
So the devs should make an option just because, huh?
You do know that there is a thing called good writing (which games still severally lack, sadly) that sometimes makes it hard to "make it work".
Are we really that desperate for representation, to the point that we need an option?

"I'm not playing this game because it doesn't have gender options." - said no gamer ever.
Even if you think like that, what doesn't it apply to other media? Like books or movies?
"I'm not watching this because I don't like the lead gender."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jacob Frye was lame, so Evie won that one. Bayek was awesome, though. I played Kassandra in Odyssey, but Alexios seemed like a fine protag, too.

No way in hell I don't play the male character in Valhalla.

Hinedorf

Banned
When you make a good female character right, nobody would complain ie Aloy with HZD. Problem with ALL AC games is that 1. The Protagonist isn't even them self in the game, 2. The Protagonist is never important to the story, 3. The Story is never important to the story.

AC franchise games are at best cookie cutter with no real conclusive story line. Whether the character is male or female will never make a difference to the story but the only reason UBI even includes a woman is for their fake-woke desire to make all the money they can.

brap

Banned
No way in hell I don't play the male character in Valhalla.
Which one?
1588580515_Assassin%E2%80%99s-Creed-Valhalla-both-protagonists-will-be-canon-male-and-1200x675.jpg

So the devs should make an option just because, huh?
You do know that there is a thing called good writing (which games still severally lack, sadly) that sometimes makes it hard to "make it work".
Are we really that desperate for representation, to the point that we need an option?

"I'm not playing this game because it doesn't have gender options." - said no gamer ever.
Even if you think like that, what doesn't it apply to other media? Like books or movies?
"I'm not watching this because I don't like the lead gender."
IF A GAME WILL ALREADY LET ME CHOOSE MY CHARACTER LIKE ASSASSIN'S CREED, WHY CAN'T I MAKE MINOR CHANGES TO THE FUCKING APPEARANCE LIKE HAIR STYLE OR BODY SHAPE? IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH OR SHALL I GET SOME CRAYONS AND DRAW IT FOR YOU?

Arun1910

Yeah fuck Ubisoft for that.

Evie and Jacob ended up being a great pair, complete opposites.

Bayek and Aya were a great couple too and I wouldn't have had issue switching to her.

Alexios as a character didnt even fit into canon so was clearly an afterthought and it showed.

Rikoi

IF A GAME WILL ALREADY LET ME CHOOSE MY CHARACTER LIKE ASSASSIN'S CREED, WHY CAN'T I MAKE MINOR CHANGES TO THE FUCKING APPEARANCE LIKE HAIR STYLE OR BODY SHAPE? IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH OR SHALL I GET SOME CRAYONS AND DRAW IT FOR YOU?
Depends on the changes, also it won't always work.
Depending on the story height/eye color/muscles and so on might be a plot point, and by changing that you are basically removing the possibility to build a story on those features.

Last edited:

mickaus

If Ubisoft wants more people to play as female protagonists, just give them slightly different stories. If they just change the avatar there isn’t any driving reason to play as a girl character.

Faithless83

Banned
Geez... go easy on the caps. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I just thought it was another one of the "we need this or that in game X". I believe devs should have the option to do whatever the want.
People should be drawn to the creative vision, not the other way around.
Customization options are good, but they do increase development time and could break things. It's a lot easier to develop using a fixed character in mind.
It could be one of the reasons for Cyberpunk going full FPS on cutscenes.

Last edited:

Rikoi

Why does it have to be forced? If there must be a female character, just make her an option instead of cancelling the male.
I am not sure what they are trying to achieve.
Let's say they manage to let everyone play as the female character and remove the male, mission accomplished, so? what changed now? I am not sure what is the final goal.

hyperbertha

I am not sure what they are trying to achieve.
Let's say they manage to let everyone play as the female character and remove the male, mission accomplished, so? what changed now? I am not sure what is the final goal.
The final goal is showing woman can do manly things.

How could anyone ever think so. Just look at Tomb Raider, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Mirror's Edge, Resident Evil 2, Metroid, Bayonetta and so on... LOL Basically no one cares as long as the story and game play is good.

True, but I think those games are some rare exceptions. Most people I’ve seen and even know really HATE playing with female protagonists and will even refuse to buy the game if it has one. I think they say something like they can’t relate to them or they feel like it affects their manhood or some crap like that.

Remember the proverbial TLOU2 backlash when Ellie was revealed as the protagonist? Yeah, I think it’s stupid and shallow, but to me I don’t care what gender I’m playing with as long as the game is good and fun.

Last edited:

FranXico

I was going to argue about how the changes to balance in protagonists or gender prominence of the selectable protagonist might impact the writing and character development.

But then , I remembered this is Assassin's Creed we are talking about.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bayek was an awsome character. What madness is this?
Bayek was pretty awesome, but Aya had the better design and all of the games plot points more or less revolved around her and Bayek was just kinda... there. Sometimes.

Also - if I'm going to play a 100+ hour third person game like this, you better believe I'm gonna have a preference for looking at the backside of the female walking animation. In Kassandra's case you can have her smash with other girls so it ticked all the boxes for me and made Alexios look like a chump in comparison.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
And they were right. Nobody wanted to play as Femshep or Kassandra besides a very loud minority in SJW circles. Their own stats prove it, even after they tried by saying the female was the canon.

Same thing will happen with Valhalla. No one wants to play as that ugly thing. The stats will be even less. A waste of resources.

I feel sorry for Ubisoft. It seems like their studios were infected by the the sjws and now they are paying the price with all the controversies. It's blowing up in their faces.

BaneIsPain

Kassandra is better than Alexios.
Evie is ok because Jacob is a meh.
Bayek still the best for me (non Ezio).
Will Siwa never know peace?

Siri

Banned
Odyssey is the best AC game I’ve ever played - 89 hours in so far, and I’ve not even begun the DLC.

For me, if I get 20 hours out of a game, that’s rare.

Edit: Also, PC Gamer has completely lost direction. The editors are super woke. They’re incapable of independent thought.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
All of these guys are afraid to follow their vision or the vision of the director/devs....I'm glad Sony implicitly trusts their directors and allows them full autonomy to follow their vision.....LOU2 and it's success is testament to that freedom. It bursts through inhibition and the story devs can tell and the emotions they want to induce truly has no limits....As it should.

Also, Kassandra was the best character in Ac Odyssey by far......The new girl in AC Valhalla reminds me of Gunnhild in Vikings...

JeloSWE

True, but I think those games are some rare exceptions. Most people I’ve seen and even know really HATE playing with female protagonists and will even refuse to buy the game if it has one. I think they say something like they can’t relate to them or they feel like it affects their manhood or some crap like that. Yeah, I think it’s stupid and shallow, but to me I don’t care what gender I’m playing with as long as the game is good and fun.
Perhaps, I for one wouldn't mind having the choice of sex in an AC game. It would be interesting to have more games where you chose sex and orientation, if there is romance in the story so your love interest matches that option. But I've never identified as the character I control, I can't identify with people identifying as the character they play :messenger_sunglasses:
Any how, if the character is well crafted, story is engaging and game play is good then I think many will be interested if the game is doing well. For your friends, I feel a bit sorry for them never getting to play Horizon and Tomb Raider.

JeloSWE

All of these guys are afraid to follow their vision or the vision of the director/devs....I'm glad Sony implicitly trusts their directors and allows them full autonomy to follow their vision.....LOU2 and it's success is testament to that freedom. It bursts through inhibition and the story devs can tell and the emotions they want to induce truly has no limits....As it should.

Also, Kassandra was the best character in Ac Odyssey by far......The new girl in AC Valhalla reminds me of Gunnhild in Vikings...
Regardless on ones stance on TLOU2, there are very few games if any that has wrought out so much intense emotions from me. It was such freaking ride I seldom get to experience in other media either. Only Breaking Bad and Chernobyl has held me as captivated by it's horrors.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
18% fem shep
72% male shep

Bioware shared this stat some time ago, don't have source.

If that is true what is the issue here? I mean I played Kasandra over the greasy douche brother, but if the audience overwhelmingly prefers males you could risk losing millions in sales.

The funny thing is how they try to frame it as sexist when those are the same people trying to push for female only protagonists.

So basically:

-Male protagonist = sexist
-Female or male protagonist = sexist
-90% of the game as a female and 10% as a male = sexist

The normal SJW hypocrisy.

So some of them wanted to dispose early of the male hero and substitute him with a (superior) female for the rest of the game.

Where do I have seen that before? :pie_thinking:
Yep my thoughts exactly. Simpo feminist post modern dogshit. I hated Aya. I would of been pissed if I had to play that b. She was such a heartless unlikeable person.. She oozed superiority complex and narcissism. She didn't care about her kid or bayek. All she wanted to do was get in bed with cleopatra. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what sjws were hoping for as they did it on top of bayeks corps. I wouldn't put it past them.

Woopah

I have zero problem with a female lead but let's not act as if that's not the route gaming is heading.
What route do you think we're heading in? Games with male lead come out all the time from pretty much every publisher. They're hardly in any danger.

Siri

Banned
I myself prefer playing as a female character for the simple reason that I’d much rather ’spend time with a woman’.

Is it why I’m playing Red Dead 2 in first-person mode? - yeah, I think maybe it is. I tend to like girly girls though. Not the butch kind.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Ideology always comes before money now.

Cant do anything about it, so why care in the first place :pie_thinking:

Many BS ideologies out here now. Between the LGBT, Feminism, BLM, and many others people wine and cry about.

Back in my day it was just sending money to kids in Africa so the flies would stay off their eyeballs. It is a different world now.

Kenpachii

Origin bayak was better. I don't think the female would have worked well in it. I didn't like her much in the game.

OC odyssey, i agree with the marketing team. Spartans everything thinks about a guy kicking somebody down the whole like the movie. Female only lead would be massively dissapointing just because of that.

however after completing the game twice one time 100%, i must say the female was probably better to focus on only. Felt like the guy wasn't that good with his voice and it really felt like both got dumped down quality wise simple because they both had to do all lines etc.

Only downside of the female was freaking animations where garbage.

Love hate relationship really.

I would like it more if they just focus on a single lead for the next game. but sadly they probably can't go back now.

Neolombax

I will choose male characters as my avatar in my games, if given the choice. Its usually because I see that avatar as a representation of myself. But I didn't mind at all playing HZD or Tomb Raider. I thought Alexios was pretty good as a character, didn't find him bland at all. That said,my personal opinion is not every game needs a character creator or a gender selector.

Dante83

Banned
Tired of this trend. I feel that companies should stop shoehorning stuff for the sake of it, or due to pressure from a certain group. If it makes sense, then feel free to go ahead, but if your are shoving it down people's throats to send a message or play personal politics, then that's where this becomes an issue.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
PC Cucks said:
Imagine an Origins where Aya had to avenge both her son and her husband, or an Odyssey that really explored the gender dynamics of Ancient Greece. More importantly, imagine if the people making those games could have done it in an environment that was safe and free from the alleged harassment by executives and managers, and from gaslighting by the publisher's HR department.

I can imagine my wallet being $120 heavier as I skipped both games

Last edited:
Top Bottom