• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent PS4 SDK update unlocked 7th CPU core for gaming

2383211-2943470791-iAbUF.gif

there's alot of talk that sony need to bring back crash because they need a ps4 mascot.

But there is absolutely no mascot greater than banderas gifs.

93xfan

Banned
Maybe we will get an update for BF4 and Hardline to get a smoother performance during 64 player matches. DICE has been pretty good with post launch support, so it could happen.

Hopefully that core can at least be used for AF that many games have been lacking.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe we will get an update for BF4 and Hardline to get a smoother performance during 64 player matches. DICE has been pretty good with post launch support, so it could happen.

Hopefully that core can at least be used for AF that many games have been lacking.
CPU has nothing to do with AF.

rambis

Banned
Microsoft couldn't rely on lucky 11th hour design changes with their set goals in mind for the original X1 plan. That is why the APU is what it is. The die is larger because of it (if they had similar luck 6 months prior in some alternate universe and put the extra die space into CUs it would have a better gpu, for example - but that's neither here nor there)
You keep going on about this "lucky" nonsense as if it serves some meaningful insight. Having a flexible architecture design and silicon budget that you can then significantly increase upon if the chance becomes available is smart design. Has shit to do with luck. Its a good thing to be able to take feedback and improve your machine.

Its odd how you are so dismissive and reductionist about PS4s architecture wins over X1 and simultaneously trying to pitch the X1 as some smart and conservative approach. Its neither honestly and most people in the community seems to agree.

At the end of the day MS/Sony were faced with same challenges to build a next-gen machine. MS decided to overengineer their way into a corner while Sony played the long game. The company playing chess and not checkers won in that battle. Its simple really.

This could make an improvement in many games, but not likely a huge improvement, since taking full advantage of multiple cores is not easy to do, especially with generic game engines (like Unreal 4). I wouldn't be surprised though if Star Wars Battlefront makes use of this. Games will have to be developed (or patched) specifically to make use of this, it won't just automatically improve their performance.

I do wonder what they dropped to free up the core - when Microsoft did it, they were freeing up the resources dedicated to Kinect - games that didn't use Kinect could use its resources.

Persona7

Banned
Nothing wrong with BB's framerate, what that is is framepacing, a software issue that can be patched, but most likely won't be for that game

Some areas have severe framerate drops when you summon or invade/get invaded. Old Yharnam is especially egregious.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nothing but awesome news. Wonder if they will be able to pump any extra magic into Uncharted 4 in time...

Elios83

Nothing but awesome news. Wonder if they will be able to pump any extra magic into Uncharted 4 in time...

I was just wondering about that as well.
Btw of course this will help and it's great news but just like it was for the XB1 it's not realistic to expect any significant performance boost.
I hope it will help developers to achieve more stable framerates in CPU intensive games.

Should be interesting to see how much of a gap this is going to create between X1 and PS4. Of course there is already a gap but it honestly isn't as big as I expected. Most of the time it's a resolution difference and not much else. Is it known if this can be done for X1 as well?

stryke

Should be interesting to see how much of a gap this is going to create between X1 and PS4. Of course there is already a gap but it honestly isn't as big as I expected. Most of the time it's a resolution difference and not much else. Is it known if this can be done for X1 as well?

it's already been done.

LordOfChaos

Hopefully they get the firmware team on the RAM reductions too like how they did PS3. Didn't PS3 go from 120MB reserved for the OS to like 40MB after a few years?

I'm surprised Nintendo still wasn't arsed to release any of that fully /half/ of it's system RAM that's reserved for the OS. Going from 1GB free to 1.5 would be a sizable difference. Probably more of one than 16% more CPU power to go at.

Bishop89

It's like getting another member added to the Ginyu Force.
I freaken love this.

Ontopic, what kind of performance benefits would this have? Is it something as simple as adding 15% more framerate or is it more complicated than that?

Edit: I know nothing about this stuff

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing this could be big for Horizon.

Call her Snow White because she has 7 dwarves under her skirt.

On a side note, this explains the delay to Magic Duels Origins PS4. They are now gunning for 60fps. Dat powa'.

Angel_DvA

better resolution and better performance are enough to show the gap between the two, some games have better effect too like MGSV... i don't know why people are waiting for a generational difference lol.

LordOfChaos

The iPhone 6S Plus at single threaded performance is probably there.

Even if it is, that would still mean that it's 4x slower.

That thing competes with Core M in IPC, per core. It's a little crazy. Though it might be a bit unfair to x86 chips since the ARMv8 ones, particularly Apples, do so well in encryption it drags the whole score up a bit. But since it uses a geometric mean it shouldn't be that much.

Point being, Core M is much better than Atom per core, Jaguar is maybe a little better than Atom optimistically, clock for clock, core for core.

So the A9, it's probably actually doing a bit better than the consoles on a single core basis, though yes, having 7 cores still puts them well ahead.

If Apple got core happy and threw quad Twister cores in the Apple TV, with that large heatsink and no battery to worry about to keep up clocks...Then the consoles would be very rapidly encroached upon.

Then for GPU the A9X is already around what, 400-ish Gflops? 90% increases per year for two years would have it awfully close...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So the A9, it's probably actually doing a bit better than the consoles on a single core basis, though yes, having 7 cores still puts them well ahead.
On a system level, it is probably fair to compare vs 8 cores in this case, as you definitely don't have 100% of both A9 cores dedicated to single app while it's running either. There's lots of background tasks that they're taking care of as well.

Astral Dog

This will help PS4 with open world games a bit, more performance is always a good thing.
I'm surprised Nintendo still wasn't arsed to release any of that fully /half/ of it's system RAM that's reserved for the OS. Going from 1GB free to 1.5 would be a sizable difference. Probably more of one than 16% more CPU power to go at.

because the system was not designed to use more than 1GB of memory, thats more than was needed for Nintendo and they are always very exact with those specifications, for some reason, its like giving a senzu bean to an earthling.

If you think about it, 1GB is already double of what competitor comparable hardware have.

Excellent.

better resolution and better performance are enough to show the gap between the two, some games have better effect too like MGSV... i don't know why people are waiting for a generational difference lol.

Yeah, the difference in performance is already quite sizable.

Wow now they just have to free more ram memory from the Os to games

This. Hopefully they can keep doing that again, like on PS3, for the next wave of games to benefit from.

LordOfChaos

because the system was not designed to use more than 1GB of memory, thats more than was needed for Nintendo and they are always very exact with those specifications, for some reason, its like giving a senzu bean to an earthling.

Uh, excuse me?
latest

Also, "needed for Nintendo" is fine and well, but that just solidifies that they still don't give a shit about third party, despite what they say.
The 3DS even had a high RAM game mode that would push more OS functions aside, the Wii U really should too.

93xfan

Banned
CPU has nothing to do with AF.

I see. I thought it might be more CPU intensive due to Xbox one including better AF more often. Anyway, I hear the CPU was the major bottleneck for 64 players in Battlefield 4, so maybe it could help that.

Either way, this is great news!

Astral Dog

Uh, excuse me?
latest

Also, "needed for Nintendo" is fine and well, but that just solidifies that they still don't give a shit about third party, despite what they say.
The 3DS even had a high RAM game mode that would push more OS functions aside, the Wii U really should too.

yeah but..with Xenoblade X being the bigger and most ambitious game so far released on the system, it appears they got their huge open world just "fine" with what they had, only Zelda would need more memory, if any other game does,

1.5 would had been nice, but i assume things would still had been difficult for third party developers with the specs, Gekko CPU, use of Edram, etc. they would still need to work around those

Its a case of design, more than anything else :p

Now NX should tell if they do it again
16GB?

Top Bottom