• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend a good gaming mouse.

My beloved Logitech MX700 is dying. When I use the left mouse button, it sometimes doesn't work or does a double click. The middle button does a double click occasionally too.

I was thinking of getting a Logitech G7 but after learning that you can't just set it on a base charger and have to swap out batteries yourself, it kind of turned me off. Having a wireless mouse has spoiled me so I'm still looking for another wireless replacement although corded mouse recommendations are ok.

A Logitech G5 might seem like the next best solution but the price of a G5 isn't all that much cheaper than a G7. A G7 can be had for about 50 after rebates. A G5 is about $50 without rebates.

Neither is really blacklisted but those cons weigh a bit on my decisions. Any suggestions?

The MX518 was a consideration since it's basically the wired version of the MX700 but it's only about 6 bucks less than the G5 on Amazon.com

Son of Godzilla said:
G5 was on sale at best buy for $35, at least last week it was. That was enough to get me to splurge, it's really nice.

Yup, I got in on the same deal, currently loving the G5

MutFox

Banned
The G5/G7 mice suck IMO.
The middle click isn't very responsive.
Plus, there is only 1 side button.
Also the Poll on it is only 500hz where as the Copperhead and Habu both have 1000hz Poll.
Which make them have absolutely no lag at all.

The Shadow said:
Do you have to swap the battery packs a lot?

Depends on how much you use it. But generally, yes. One of the negative points about the G7, but you kinda get used to popping the spare in when the battery is low.

This is my review for amazon.com:

"I got this mouse to replace my almost 3 year old Microsoft Wireless Optical. The difference between the two mice was very noticable in smoothness, accuracy, and battery life.

The Logitech G7 Laser Wireless is extremely accurate, sensitive, and smooth. It's also very sleek and comfortable. The DPI setting switches easily but takes a little practice to get used to, as the buttons are very small. The batteries are easy to switch in and out which is a great feature of this mouse. I also liked the battery-level indicator letting me know how much juice is left in the battery.

The main complaints I have with this mouse are the battery life (which is not that big of a deal) as well as the charging station. All of the sensitivity and accuracy comes at a cost. Battery life is very short. They (Logitech) claim the battery lasts for 2 and a half days of "normal gaming," but my mouse doesn't last even half that long even when I'm not gaming. I'd say it's more like 4-5 hours of continuous usage at best, depending on what level of DPI you have it set on (I usually leave it on the Default setting of 800 DPI). If you want to use this mouse a lot, be prepared to keep the 2nd Li-Ion battery pack charged at all times...

It would've been better if the charging station could also be plugged into a wall outlet/socket. But instead, you're only option is to plug it into a USB port to charge the battery pack. This means that your PC must be on to charge, as it can't be on Standby or Hibernate. The charging station comes with a "Boost" mode and "Normal" mode. In my opinion, they shouldn't have even made a "Normal" mode because it'll take up to 10, that's right, 10 hours of continuous charging in "Normal" mode, while "Boost" mode takes about 2 hours to fully recharge the Li-Ion battery packs.

I do have other small complaints. After a long period of usage, your hands will sweat, especially when gaming (which is what they're marketing this mouse to). When I said that this mouse is very sleek, I really meant it. The gloss on the mouse and its sleek design can cause it to be very slippery if your hands get sweaty. My old Microsoft didn't have a glossy finish, so the grip was always solid. I've only had problems gripping the G7 a few times since my hands don't normally sweat profusely. But if you're hands do sweat a lot, keep in mind that this mouse's glossy surface could cause problems.

The other minor complaint I have with this mouse has been mentioned before: No "forward" button. Personally, I don't find this to be a big deal, but it does make viewing webpages and images more of a hassle, since my 3 year old Microsoft mouse had a "forward" button. Why Logitech didn't include it with the G7, I don't really know (maybe the design of the mouse). I hope they include a "forward" button with their future mice.

Overall, I'm very glad I bought this mouse, especially because Amazon.com had a sale when I bought it ($66.99 shipped). Logitech can still make improvements, but the G7 is a really solid mouse. If you're looking for cutting-edge technology, quality, accuracy, and speed in a mouse, this is a great buy."

Most of the competitive FPS gamers I ever discuss gaming mouses with agree that the MX518 is the best choice for its superior optical tracking.

KyanMehwulfe said:
Most of the competitive FPS gamers I ever discuss gaming mouses with agree that the MX518 is the best choice for its superior optical tracking.

Yeah but the G5 has a freaking laser beam.

It's actually 5 bucks cheaper too if I get it at Best Buy. I just checked, the G5 is still on sale for $35.

oreelios

I just use a Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 and it's never let me down in the dozens of FPS's I've played over the years.

Zaptruder

Banned
If you like heavy wireless mice, MX1000 and MXrevolution are pretty awesome.

The lag is all psychological... that is to say, you're not going to notice one if you're not desperately looking for it. Also good battery life and is rechargable.

i have a g7 and for me the battery change is around a day depending on use.

the loss of the forward and back keys isnt such a loss for me as i mapped the left and right nudges on the middle button to back and forward and took me a few days to adjust.

Rabid Pancake

TheTrin's underpaid lackey
I have a G7, had for about three weeks now and it's pretty damn nice.

Buttons
It's missing a forward button on the side but I can live with that. I rarely find myself going forward in a web browser and I use TotalCommander to sub for Windows Explorer making the mouse pretty much useless for everything but the web and games. Yes, the third mouse button (the wheel) takes a lot of getting used to and requires way too much finger muscle to push down correctly. I think this is mostly my fault as I always accidentally push it left, instead of down.
Battery
I have to switch out the battery about every day, but I use it at 2000dpi for an average of five to six hours. I never turn the mouse off with the power button on the bottom of the mouse. The battery swap takes all of fifteen seconds as I keep the base about six inches from the mouse pad.
Other
My biggest complaint about this mouse is that Ventrillo only sees four of the six buttons, even with Direct Input. Anyone know a workaround for this? I would really like to use the back button on the mouse.

Top Bottom