• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend Games with "Timeskips" in the story

KàIRóS

lmm320ubju4a1.jpg

So I recently started another playthrough of FFXVI due to the recent DLC (Really good DLC BTW) and I realized that what I liked the most about the story was the Timeskips and how we get to see Clive at different stages of his life, first as a teenager, then in his 20s and finally in his 30s and now I'm looking for new games that use timeskips for their storytelling, any platform and type of game is fine.

Other examples:

91dqHgit1AL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Tales of Graces: The story starts when the main characters are children, sets up several plot points that will impact the story later and then the characters get abruptly separated, a timeskip happens and the characters get reunited again but now they are all grown up.

9773d7031f67b43c3e46b692497f1c3c94461c9280320abf.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2:
Several Timeskips happen in these games and some are incredibly meaningful, they are probably well known by now but I'll avoid spoilers and just say that even the endgame in each game is a timeskip in itself.

yamaci17

assassin's creed 2
(well ac 2, brotherhood and revelations practically can be considered a big whole game where ezio goes through different stages of life. there are a lot of timeskips between these series and also in the games themselves but they always stay true to the character and its development. definitely recommend that trilogy if you're into storytelling like that)

there's also big timeskips in relation to Altair in ac revelations but you must play ac 1 to truly get the best out of it.

ezio goes beyond that you even get to see his old days though he's still quite agile for his age but it is fun to see. if you play all that make sure to watch ac: embers (don't do it before playing the trilogy though).

assassin's creed 3. this game has big timeskips, like major timeskips that is super crucial to the story. actually the story is being told through timeskips in this one, I'd say. I won't delve into detail too much and spoil the fun for you.

so practically do a ac 1-3 whole run. you can ignore the rest as the series went downhill. they don't contribute any meaningful additions to the story, they just add lore to the overall story that is being told all the time.

ac syndicate dlc also has a big timeskip which is super cool imo but it is not worth it to play just for that. but if you're really interested...

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
DQXI
Fallout 4 lol
Xenogears lol
Some obvious anime games like DB: Kakarot, and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm.
FFXV is a mixed thing. I dunno if I can recommend it but I do like it. Just make sure you have the Royal edition.
FFVII Crisis Core
FFVI
FE:3H

Three

FF in general seems to love timeskips. There was a lot of that in FF15 too. From being a kid to being old.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Didn't Lufia II have a timeskip at some point? It's been years since I played that one, not sure.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Frontiers of Pandora starts before the first movie and then jumps to sometime between the first and second.

ReyBrujo

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk, you play along the main characters for well over 15-20 years.
Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society, trapped in a time loop, you play along them for around 70 years in different dimensions.
Breath of Fire: Start as an orphan until you "die" at an unexpected encounter with the final boss, then start the proper game as a teenager.

Didn't Lufia II have a timeskip at some point? It's been years since I played that one, not sure.

Never played 2 but the prologue of Lufia 1 was fighting the final boss with a strong team, defeating them and then starting the game with the son of one of those heroes.

I don’t think so…I think it just started as what happened to lead up to the beginning of the game. I suppose that could be considered a time skip, but I see it as just the starting story. Also, I might be wrong too, it’s been a long ass time lol

YCoCg

Legit play from his birth and can go right up to his death if you also play Brotherhood and Revelations

apps.48339.65362822523573501.9d7d7b38-9533-4a54-9d03-bdde395d2513.df5102d8-a9b4-469e-9405-7b9005ad8d26

Reactions: Fbh

Three

Horizon Zero Dawn also has a timeskip early on from when you're a kid but I wouldn't say its storytelling is about timeskips, it's more about discovering what happened in the past.

AmuroChan

Don't remember which ones, but some of the Call of Duty campaigns have you play missions that take place in the past and ones that take place in the present.

Three

Don't remember which ones, but some of the Call of Duty campaigns have you play missions that take place in the past and ones that take place in the present.
Ghosts is an example. I think it takes place over 3 years. MW also takes place over several years.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Not in the traditional sense, but Dishonored 2 deals with time skips and time travel in an incredible way.

Amazing experience.

Top Bottom