• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

recommend me a badass anime movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rur0ni

Siyou said:
Yes. It may put some hair on chests. ;) (admittedly I haven't seen it in like a decade, but it's awesome nontheless)

Also check out some Golgo 13 movies. The Professional & Queen Bee.

En-ou

Detective Conan Movies 1-12
DetectiveConanMovie7.jpg

Lupin III Movies 1-4 & Specials (TV Movies) 1-21
lupin.jpg

Rurouni Kenshin - Trust X Betrayal
screenkf3.jpg

All Studio Ghibli Films
Grave-Of-The-Fireflies-2Disc-7319980066160-03.jpg

Ninja Scroll
Ninja-scroll-promotional-image.gif

Vampire Hunter D
vampire-hunter-d-special-edition-20071108034938881-000.jpg

that's all i can think of right now. i don't seem to like movies like akira, ghost in the shell or appleseed. the plots dance all over the place and i think it requires you to know quite a bit about the universe to really know what's going on.

Forkball

En-ou said:
All Studio Ghibli Films
Grave-Of-The-Fireflies-2Disc-7319980066160-03.jpg
Yeah wasn't it just balls out badass when that farmer beat that 14 year old kid because he tried to steal food to feed his starving three year old sister after their country had been completely torn apart?

Rur0ni said:
Ah Jin-Roh, excellent. You've chosen wisely. I want the Blu-Ray, but $70-80? :lol

Anyway, since you've got taste... and requested bad ass...

Wicked City
Perfect Blue
Sword of the Stranger (supposed to be good, I'm watching it next week)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

And maybe for some series... nothing too philosophical/emo and shit. Don't be swayed by their bullshit.

Shigurui
GunGrave

Report back the awesome. I take your thanks in advance. There's a good handful of movies out there that I'm forgetting I'm sure.
thx :D now i realy wanna see Sword of the Stranger but its not on there......and the only one left on your list that i havnt seen it Perfect Blue. i forgot all about that movie.

thats going on que :D

FUCK i cant believe they dont have Sword of the Stranger

the only other one i just put on there is Blade of the Phantom Master, looks pretty crazy

ultron87

Mistouze said:
deadleaves.jpg

FUCK YESSSSS

So I just watched this (it's on Netflix Streaming) and my immediate reaction:

"What the hell did I just watch?"

I think I enjoyed it, and the animation was certainly interesting. But yeah, whoa.

DrForester said:
iv herd that people who are fans of this dont like the movie too much because its different somehow. iv never watched or herd of the show before so will it be more enjoyable if i havnt seen the show?

trailer looks awesome

Feep

Banned
Too_Good said:
5 centimeters per second. I just watched this and found it to be suprisingly good.
While this movie was excellent, it is the literal opposite of the word "badass".

shim

Neo Member
+1 for sword of the stranger. great action flick. super badass. the first 5-10 minutes were a little slow, but it just gets better and better. awesome movie.

wow- I completely forgot about IRIA! it's been ages since I've seen that. as far as I can remember, it was a great series/OVA

CassSept

RadioHeadAche said:
End of Evangelion

Being under the influence may help.
First half is overall badass (especially the ending), so yeah, fits what he wants to see.

Second half though, yeah. Uh. Ya know. And stuff.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Can someone fill me in on what order I should watch the Gundam movies in? I'd greatly appreciate it as I'd like to get into this series since it's a classic and all.

Replicant

With a tagline which more or less translated into "Wouldn't it be nice if everyone would just die?", you can imagine what kind of film End of Evangelion would be:

16j55s6.jpg

If you're into thriller, Paprika or Perfect Blue are must-see:

dd17b.jpg
242fqso.jpg

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Here, Now and Then

Im sorry, but the "GiTS" movies were boring :\ The anime ROLF stomps all over the movie because it doesnt try so hard to impress us with its CG and psychedelic music.

Manics

Banned
Suburban Cowboy said:
dont listen to anyone who says akira. that movie is about blue midgets granting super powers.

Yeah, don't bother watching the movie that influenced anime after it was released.

jmdajr

wicked city is great :)
so is demon city.

I would add spriggan to the list.
2wdum86.jpg

the animation during the action is fantastic.

and of course

macross-plus.jpg

FnordChan

You want badass?

51IWOTrIqxL._SS420_.jpg

I gotchyer badass right here. It's about incredibly powerful martial artists wandering around the post apocalyptic wasteland and using their knowledge of pressure points to make the heads of giant hulking thugs explode. The flick is being re-released on DVD on the 19th, so expect it to hit Netflix in short order. While you're waiting for that to arrive, I wholeheartedly second recommendations for Akira and Wicked City. Also:

51mONupG0wL._SS500_.jpg

It's about an all-woman group of magic cops who go after horrible demons with guns and giant swords in a setting straight out of Blade Runner. It isn't nearly as badass as Fist of the North Star, but it's still pretty awesome.

Fnord of the Chan Star

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Do you want good? Or badass?

If your looking for Bad Ass
Trust and Betrayal
Ninja Scrolls
Afro Samurai
Gunbuster and Diebuster...Or better yet. Just start watching Gurren Lagann
Fist of the North Stars
Golgo 13

Or Good?
5cm Per Second
Tokyo GodFathers...in general anything from Kon. Perfect Blue, M.Actress. and Paprika
Tekkon...something

Dali

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
FUCK i cant believe they dont have Sword of the Stranger

Your not missing much. Just youtube the last fight and you've seen the only reason to watch it. It's not completely horrible, but people here definitely talk it up more than it deserves.

Tekkon Kinkreet is better and much more badass.

Decado

Dali said:
Your not missing much. Just youtube the last fight and you've seen the only reason to watch it. It's not completely horrible, but people here definitely talk it up more than it deserves.

Tekkon Kinkreet is better and much more badass.
With the exception of that not being true.

Truant

Forkball said:
For just straight up pure badassery, check out Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. It's about a half-vampire vampire hunter who has to save a woman who was kidnapped by a vampire(last time I mention that word I swear) in a gothic post-apocalyptic spaghetti-westerny world. He has to deal with various monsters, rival hunters, and generally random and wild things ready to rip him to shreds. It's the sequel to Vampire Hunter D, but you do not need to see the original and Bloodlust is so much better in every way (except for the scene in the original where D stabs that guy in the eye during the wedding).

1591085316743.jpg

Came here to post this. It's the only anime I have ever taken seriously. Good stuff.

FnordChan said:
You want badass?
51IWOTrIqxL._SS420_.jpg
i realy need to watch this cause im like the only guy who hasnt seen it yet. its coming out this tuesday(19th) ?

and i looked up Sword of the Stranger in my que and it now says availability in june :D.
Escaflowne is on very long wait and Blade of the Phantom Master is on its way

THX again gaf :D keep the badass anime coming

Blader

sykoex said:
Can someone fill me in on what order I should watch the Gundam movies in? I'd greatly appreciate it as I'd like to get into this series since it's a classic and all.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam tv series from 1979 was compiled into three movies: Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow, and Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space. I'd actually recommend watching the movies over the original series since they trim the fat and cut out a lot of the sillier stuff from the tv series.

After that there's Zeta Gundam, which is both a tv series and a compilation movie trilogy.

Then Char's Counterattack, which is just a movie.

MSG, Zeta, and CCA form one big trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom