• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me an old Kirby game

Forkball

Kirby_Wii.png

Kirby. An entity I both respect and fear. Despite this, I have barely played any Kirby games. Since no games have interested me in a while, and there isn't anything that's grabbing me in the next few months, I've been digging through Nintendo games I've missed and there are a lot of gaps in the Kirby series. Here are the games I have actually played a notable amount of:

Kirby's Pinball Land
Kirby Super Star
Kirby 64
Kirby Tilt N' Tumble
Kirby Canvas Curse

I've played bits and pieces of Dream Land and Adventure, but never to completion. For your convenience, here are the Kirby games I have not played from the NES-DS era. I assume all of these are on the VC otherwise WTF Nintendo. I know the 3DS games are supposedly really good, but I don't wanna throw $40 at Kirby right now. Even $20 is a bit too much, so let's ignore the Wii games. And no, there is no GCN VC so no Air Ride.

Kirby's Dreamland/ 2 / 3
Kirby's Adventure
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby Star Stacker
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Mass Attack

Post away.

Amazing Mirror is completely worth checking out. It's basically a Metroidvania. Very fun even in single-player.

Adventure is classic and the game where the series found its identity. The first truly great Kirby game. While I never played Nightmare in Dream Land, that's basically an updated version of it so you can't go wrong with it either.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amazing Mirror is awful. Gives you zero direction for what to do, and the map system is a complete mess.

I would say go for Squeak Squad. Classic Kirby gameplay, tons of powers to use, and lots of treasures to find.

If you want plain classic Kirby, can't go wrong with Kirby's Adventure for NES.

BiggNife

I mean, I'm just gonna say Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, and Robobot are super good and you're missing out by not playing them. RtD is absolutely, unquestionably worth 20 dollars.

HAVING SAID THAT, Kirby's Adventure holds up pretty well, and while I haven't played it, I've heard Nightmare in Dreamland is a really good remake of it.

Also I have a soft spot for Block Ball but if you're not a fan of Super Breakout then it will do nothing for you

amazing mirror, and nightmare in dreamland are 2 of my favorite gba games. I would recommend amazing mirror over nightmare thou.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say try Nightmare in Dream Land (available on Wii U VC). It's a remake of Kirby's Adventure, which kind of served as one part of the foundation of the series.

Pizza

Dreamland 1/2/3, Nightmare in Dreamland (a remake of Adventure that I like slightly better, adventure hasn't aged badly whatsoever though and they play roughly the same)

Don't believe anything anyone says, Amazing Mirror is the best Kirby game. Especially with friends. It's a four player co op metroidvania Kirby game that's harder than a lot of the other games.

64 is a pretty great n64 game, and both triple deluxe and Robobot are fucking incredible. The spinoffs are cute but outside of air ride they're not terribly notable IMO.

Oh and super star ultra is a remake of super star thats on the same level of nightmare/adventure. Both versions of both games are sweet.

Also the games have an underlying continuity if you play them in release order, it doesn't really matter at all (Kirby isn't really noted for it's story) but it's a pretty neat subtle detail

The Wii Kirby game and squeak squad are fine, but they're the lowest on the list. Still great games though. I think mass attack is the only Kirby game I never finished

jholmes

I would go with Kirby's Adventure, and after that Kirby's Dream Land 2. Other than Super Star, which is by far the best in the series, those are the essential Kirby titles. Dream Land 1 is a good game but it's very short and really easy so it's not where I'd start. Dream Land 3 however is trash, the level design is awful and other than graphics and Nintendo cameos it has nothing much going for it.

I adore Dream Course and if SNES Kirby-themed mini-golf sounds like fun for you, give it a close look. Also if for some reason you fall into a cheap copy of Epic Yarn I do think it's worth playing although it's as easy as you've heard.

Menitta

This thread got me thinking about how awesome Kirby games are. I still need to get Triple Deluxe and Robobot. Might grab Triple Deluxe soon.

Kirby's Adventure is the runner-up to being the series masterpiece. I cannot recommend it enough. Nightmare in Dream Land is a solid remake, but the original is more consistent in quality.

I haven't played too many of the earlier spin-offs, but as for the rest of the games you've listed:

Kirby's Dream Land: Solid first effort by Sakurai. The Expert Mode is unexpectedly tough; you can actually die against Whispy Woods!

Dream Land 2: The first of the Shinichi Shimomura-directed titles. It starts off weak, but it picks up by the third world. Cloudy Park in particular is incredible.

Dream Land 3: Another Shimomura title. Good game hampered by weak level design, but the beautiful graphics, fun Animal Partners and level-centric objectives make up for it.

Amazing Mirror: Fun game, but turning Kirby into a Metroidvania goes against the very principle of Kirby. Definitely not beginner-friendly.

Squeak Squad: The weakest game in the series. Half-baked in everything from level design, mini-games, most of the new Copy Abilities, and recycled soundtrack. Definite skip.

Mass Attack: Great experimental effort with a ton of content. Can get pretty tough, especially if you're going for a 100% run. Also probably in possession of the strongest collection of mini-games.

I'll happily elaborate on any of the above if needed.

Kirby's Adventure is still my favorite game in the series.

If you play it, play the 3DS version (3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure). It doesn't have the many, many frame rate drops of the NES version, and it (mostly) looks the exact same.

Forkball

So it seems like Kirby's Adventure has overwhelming recommendations. I'll try the 3D Classics version. OH YEAH THE 3DS HAS 3D

Nightmare in Dreamland is a remake of Adventure btw. I recommend Adventure though because it has spectacular NES artwork, and 3DS' 3D Classics are super cool. I also recommend Amazing Mirror, which is my favorite, by far. But Adventure is basically the quintessential Kirby.

So it seems like Kirby's Adventure has overwhelming recommendations. I'll try the 3D Classics version. OH YEAH THE 3DS HAS 3D

The 3DS Classic is a great version of be game, but I do agree with others saying Nightmare in Dreamland is great too. I would throw in to say Super Star Ultra, it I know you said you had played Super Star, but the DS version has some nice additions and you can play as Meta Knight.

This thread is making me think I should go back and play Amazing Mirror, a game I did not enjoy when I first tried it way back.

I completely forgot that game existed :S

But Canvas Curse and Super Star Ultra need love.

EDIT: So they release Squeak Squad, but not Canvas Curse? Dafuq?

Oh YES. Forgot, but Canvas Curse is absolutely wonderful. Not a standard Kirby game, but the gameplay is unique and very fun, the music is some of the best in the series (even though it's mostly remixes I think) and the art is nice and has a pretty cool style.
Unfortunately, I never completed it :( and I don't have it anymore.

mrmickfran

Oh YES. Forgot, but Canvas Curse is absolutely wonderful. Not a standard Kirby game, but the gameplay is unique and very fun, the music is some of the best in the series (even though it's mostly remixes I think) and the art is nice and has a pretty cool style.
Unfortunately, I never completed it :( and I don't have it anymore.
Buy it again and finish it.

Second best Kirby after Air Ride.

Dream Course and Amazing Mirror are GOAT Kirby titles.

But there isn't a bad Kirby game out there, play them all!

No lies detected.

But yeah, I'm gonna throw my hat in for Kirby's Dream Course as I think it's a criminally overlooked title. There's a lot of skill and precision involved in both lining up your shots and planning out copy ability use to get just that slightest bit of extra oomph to get that hole in one, it's super rewarding. On top of that, the multiplayer is a fantastic cut throat back and forth fighting between claiming stars or getting to the hole first. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but me and my bestie had some of our best times playing this game and it holds up every bit as much today as it did back then.

Bamboo

Kirby's Adventure
Totally rad game, amazing graphics, still a lot of fun. Established a lot of the Kirby standarts.

Kirby's Dream Course
My favorite not-platforming Kirby. The 2-player mode is also a lot of fun if you have someone that has the same skill level as you.

Get Nightmare in Dreamland over Kirby's Adventure. From someone that has played and beaten both - Nightmare in Dreamland is a great remake.

The extra stuff is better, too.

Munin

Squeak Squad is the only truly bad Kirby game, it's like Kirby's Yoshi's Island DS.

Dream Course is great but tough without emulator save states.

Star Stacker on SNES is great if you can make it through the Japanese menus.

I wish they made an Amazing Mirror sequel. The Metroidvania concept lends itself so well to Kirby, with the ability system and what not. Truly great little game.

Top Bottom