• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend Me the Best Life-Affirming Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF, I'm looking for some life-affirming movies that me and my girlfriend can watch together. She has been having a rough time lately and I would like something that can counteract depression.

Something with a positive message, or something that's romantic (she loves romance), or something that's cheerful and funny.

She's not interested in anything with crude humor or sex scenes.

What are the most well-made films that intend to elicit positive emotions?

chefbags

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty. Gets me happy feelings.

And also sense8(Christmas special) is filled with happy feelings. If you haven't watched the series it's really good.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Before trilogy. Watch Before Sunrise if you like it watch the other two. Don't look into it just watch.

Chasing Amy is good but can be a strange downer in the mood you are in.

thefro

GpyD3mi.jpg

This one's the trifecta

It's a Wonderful Life would be my suggestion, but Christmas was 2 weeks ago.

Singing in the Rain is pretty great and good fun.

Disney animated films are a safe bet. Tangled and Beauty and the Beast are pretty lightweight, romantic, and don't have super sad scenes like The Lion King.

arigato

Albeit not a movie, at only thirteen episodes and a beautiful soundtrack to boot. Earth Maiden Arjuna would be an unforgettable watch.

Steamlord

City Lights
Wild Strawberries
Three Colors: Red
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
Love Exposure (oh wait, no crude humor or sex scenes...never mind)

There's another I really want to recommend, but I don't want to mention it because that would spoil it and part of the impact it had on me was that I had no idea which way it would go...quite a conundrum.

Tambini

My go to films when I'm having a bad time are Rocky, Toy Story, School of Rock, Back to the Future, Spider-Man films, South Park the movie

Rocky I/II/III/Balboa/Creed
Dead Poets' Society
Forrest Gump
The Truman Show
The Pursuit of Happyness
Flipped
Touchback
The Karate Kid
The Fundamentals of Caring

GAF, I'm looking for some life-affirming movies that me and my girlfriend can watch together. She has been having a rough time lately and I would like something that can counteract depression.

Something with a positive message, or something that's romantic (she loves romance), or something that's cheerful and funny.

She's not interested in anything with crude humor or sex scenes.

What are the most well-made films that intend to elicit positive emotions?

Edward Scissor Hands maybe? Or Dazed and Confused. Anything Pixar. Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Some Wes Anderson stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
For animated suggestions:

Shaun the Sheep (funny, very warmhearted, but no spoken dialogue)

Maybe Ratatouille (classic Pixar, as far as I recall the sad parts were only somewhat sad and the ending is happy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom