• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend PS4 game between RE2, DMCV, Sekiro

Which game should I pick up for PS4?

• Resident Evil 2

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Devil May Cry V

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters

mcjmetroid

Ok 3 quality games that have come out recently and now I've saved up a bit of cash I'm looking to splash out on a full priced game. I'll give you some of my impressions of the games.

Now I haven't played any of these but from reviews this is what I'm gathering. Im hoping you can put my fears to rest about one of them.

Resident Evil 2:
Fantastic but short, I'm never one to replay games all that much. Maybe a little too dark at times( is it all torch gameplay). I loved the original but didn't get on with 7 as much as everyone enjoyed it. It looks good but I'm learning towards a price drop for this one.

Sekiro:
It looks like a less cryptic dark souls. Now I have a love hate relationship with those games. I enjoy the challenging gameplay and the satisfaction from beating tough levels but always got about half way through them before rethinking my life. BUT I'm loving the look of this game, the grapple hook looks fun the combat looks fair and fantastic.

Devil May Cry V:
Never played one of these before but I love Bayonetta which is a similar type of game I guess. This got much better reviews than I was expecting so what's throwing me off a little? The Micro transactions. Also perhaps is might not understand the story having never played any before.

So what do you think? What should I get?

Vawn

Banned
They're pretty different, so I feel like you should be able to answer this for yourself better than anyone else.

I loved the RE2 remake. Sekiro seems good so far, but even as a diehard Soulsborne fan, I'm finding some of it frustrating. And I've never played any DMC game, so I have nothing to add there.

Verdanth

Would go with RE2, then Sekiro. DMC would be my last pick. But would definitely play all 3.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Go for Resident evil 2. Probably Sekiro will have future DLC like souls games and will launch a Complete edition. Besides Resident evil 2 have Ghost survivals DLC. So is a nice pick.

Vawn

Banned
resident evil 2
but to be honest..
none they are all at best ok..

4c7643a6d115bbe2b5e33f44b14a8c4c

Based on your post and you loving Bayonetta you should pick DMCV. its a no brainer really.

Dont worry about the microtransactions, i finished the game and never even knew they where in the game until i read a thread about it on GAF. Only people who are utterly horrible or dont want to play the game at all will need them. Buy DMCV its the best game in its genre, and the best game this year by far.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
As a bayonetta 1 and 2 fan .
Def dont get dmc 5
It is so not like bayonetta.
Its like a boring not over the top version of bayo :(

GAMETA

Banned
RE2 is awesome, but I think Sekiro has more value if you can only pick one.

Sekiro is longer and bigger, it will seem a little strange at the begging but give it some hours and you'll see the awe kick in. When you get to the Ashina Castle, oh boy, Anor Londo can't top that.

All great games. All games I score a 9 or higher.

My vote is Sekiro if you have to choose just one. My GOTY so far.

Second pick would be RE2R

Again, all truly great games, don’t take this as a slight to either RE2R or DMC5

Last edited:

Shifty

Devil May Cry 5 without a doubt. If you loved Bayo then you're in for a great time.

And, for real, the microtransactions are so unobtrusive that you can play through the whole game without realising they exist. Literally just a 'go to store?' popup if you try and buy something you can't afford.

Nella

Either of RE2 or Sekiro, I'd lean more towards RE2.

Steer away from DMC5 if you didn't play past games, the plot will be very confusing.

Fbh

From your descriptions probably DMC.

Sounds like you are already considering a price drop for Resident Evil 2. And since it came out around 2 months before the other 2 there's a good chance it might go on sale first.

I'm loving Sekiro and while I think it's pretty different to the Souls games, it definitely has that FROM Software DNA. So maybe the changes will click with you but I think there's also the possibility it's another game you'll drop halfway through.

DMC seems like the safest bet. I haven't played it yet but from the demo and previous games I'd say most people that enjoy games like Bayonetta will find something to like here. Also from what most of GAF says the microtransactions seem like a non issue, from the descriptions I've seen they sound more like paid cheat codes than something that altered the entire game design. (Also, if you are on PC it's like $40 over at CdKeys)

These are all Multiplattform games.

???
The OP never mentioned exclusivity

Belmonte

I didn't play Sekiro yet but both RE2 and DMCV are easily two of the best games this gen has to offer. Since you are worried about length and you seem to have the good taste to be a character action/brawler fan my vote is DMCV. Insanely deep combat system. Perhaps the deepest ever. Lots of hours to upgrade and master everything.

RE2 from me. Lets say average you will play the first campaign 8-9 hours. You have to do the B run because even though its in the same location the story slightly differs and its completed once you do both runs, plus things are changed up in the second run so its not exactly like ure replaying it for a better score or whatever.

Theres also free content added, extra story so you got yourself easily 15-20 hour experience like any other game. Next one im getting is DMC.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The whole point of DMC series is to replay them. So if you are just gonna do one, maybe 2 playthroughs, Resident Evil 2 is your game.

And naw its not too dark. Flashlight is used in maybe 1 in 5 areas.

Owari

I’m going to wait 3 months and buy all three of these for $60 total

It’s capcom and activision, they won’t stay full price for long.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 2:
Fantastic but short, I'm never one to replay games all that much. Maybe a little too dark at times( is it all torch gameplay). I loved the original but didn't get on with 7 as much as everyone enjoyed it. It looks good but I'm learning towards a price drop for this one.

Sekiro:
It looks like a less cryptic dark souls. Now I have a love hate relationship with those games. I enjoy the challenging gameplay and the satisfaction from beating tough levels but always got about half way through them before rethinking my life. BUT I'm loving the look of this game, the grapple hook looks fun the combat looks fair and fantastic.

Devil May Cry V:
Never played one of these before but I love Bayonetta which is a similar type of game I guess. This got much better reviews than I was expecting so what's throwing me off a little? The Micro transactions. Also perhaps is might not understand the story having never played any before.

I've dabbled with each one of them, completed RE2 Remake, quit on Sekiro for the time being and am in a current playtrough of DMC5 which i've started yesterday. They're all excellent video games and a fantastic addition this year.

RE2 Remake's length isn't short if you want to experience all the content the developers have crafted for the game, a lot of said content is unlockable. There's a lot of meat on the bone here, and it's easily worth full price. It's nothing like RE7. If you loved the original or the remake of the first one, i highly suspect you're going to be completely in love with this one.

Sekiro's incredibly hard, i threw up my hands in defeat and put it on hold for now; There's just no way to squeeze in time for this behemoth. But, it's also a game that may take you a long time to complete because of its difficulty. There's a stark differentiation to its combat mechanics compared to the other SoulsBorne games, so i recommend keeping that in mind. I absolutely love anything related to Japan's rich history in the Sengoku and Edo period, so this game was an instant buy.

DMC5 is everything i could have possibly wanted from a sequel and what microtransactions exist don't affect anything. As for continuity issues, there's a short recap video included with DMC5 that you can watch from the main menu. It covers all the important plot elements.

As for what i would recommend, either DMC5 or Resident Evil 2 Remake. DMC5's length is good and its difficulty is adjustable to suit your comfort level (the easiest difficulty level might as well be a tutorial, if difficulty is an issue here). Considering your mention of your love for the original, Resident Evil 2 Remake is more than a fair bet that you're going to love this one to bits.

Isa

I own all three as well, but my vote is for RE2. I own and beat it across Xbox One X and rebought the deluxe version at full price for my Pro. And for years now I rarely if ever replay games. Its like a bit of my teenage years and a bit of modern convenience. Plus imho its not as terrifying as RE7, and I like the setting far more. Also the map is amazingly well thought out, showing if you've found everything or also items in the inventory being checked off.

I like DMC V but I was never a huge fan, greatly preferring Bayonetta, and ButtGate is putting me off from playing more for now.

Sekiro is nice, but is in my opinion not a Souls game in most respects and lacks the depth and variety offered in those titles, so it'd be easier to "finish". It certainly has its moments though, and its nice to play a character action game again. I can't help but feel like I'm playing Bionic Shinobi.

Regardless its nice to be spoilt for choice these days as is par for the course later in a console cycle. I look forward to impressions on whatever you decide to get.

The only one I have played thus far is DMC 5 and DMC 5 is an absolutely fantastic video game that you should really play as soon as possible.

I'm also having doubts whether to pick up RE2R or Sekiro next so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Shifty

I'll be starting Sekiro tonight having played both RE2 and DMC5 so I might weigh in again, but based on personal preference I'm expecting my recommendation to remain DMC5.

Last edited:

Moses85

Grab RE2, you first playtrough will take you 10-12 hours for both Charakters.

So you can go on with Sekiro 3 days later.

Griffon

I've been a lifelong DMC fan. Finished DMC1 back then and played an ungodly amount of hours on both DMC3 and 4.

Sekiro and RE2 are plain better games than DMC5.

mcjmetroid

I’d go with RE 2 remake or Sekiro.
Based on a few people's advice I went with Sekiro. I'm really liking it so far and it's very fucking hard but I will say so far it seems a lot more fair with save states.

The grapple hook is the best thing they ever introduced to the series. Actually works sort of similar to Spiderman haha

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Devil May Cry V:

If you are the kind that does not replay games, DMCV microtransactions are not a concern

mcjmetroid

Excellent choice OP. By chance, did you ever play the original? Resident Evil 2 Remake is by far one of the best games that I have ever played.

I didn't select resident evil 2. I went with Sekiro but I did love the original. It was a tough choice between the 3. What a year for choice so far and all Japanese games as well.

I didn't select resident evil 2. I went with Sekiro but I did love the original. It was a tough choice between the 3. What a year for choice so far and all Japanese games as well.

OP! :messenger_open_mouth:

Well each to their own at the end of the day. I do have to say, Resident Evil 2 is an amazing game, totally faithful to the original and I've spent countless hours playing it. The promise they made to deliver a quality game really is there. If you're looking for another game to play after Sekiro, I really, really recommend this game. If you played the original then you will love this. Enjoy Sekiro, but I hope you consider this game also at some point in the future.

:messenger_beaming:

Shifty

With 5 hours of Sekiro under my belt...

Fuckin' whoof. You couldn't possibly go wrong if you tried with these options. Enjoy, OP.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Ok 3 quality games that have come out recently and now I've saved up a bit of cash I'm looking to splash out on a full priced game. I'll give you some of my impressions of the games.

Now I haven't played any of these but from reviews this is what I'm gathering. Im hoping you can put my fears to rest about one of them.

Resident Evil 2:

Sekiro:

Devil May Cry V:

All.

Resident Evil 2 as its shorter and I don't know about most, but I like playing short to longest. It was about 18 hours for me and though I beat DMC5 a little faster, I'd recommend RE2 first as you could end up playing all the other parts (putting you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past 30 plus hours)

DMC5 as its also short.

Sekiro, just found out from a review how long it was and didn't know it would be around 50 hours or so, so I'd save this last.

EDMIX

If you like watching cutscenes every 30 seconds DMCV was made for you.

Well they did the cutscenes so well, I'd tell em to 100% play that before Sekiro. I didn't think they over did it and I played all the MGS and Yakuza games lol

Last edited:

EDMIX

OP NOOOOOOOOOOO! We all went to bat for you, I got a venn diagram and everything, graphs and junk lol

Enjoy, with Sekiro being as long as it is, by the time you done, RE2 remake should be cheaper. I agree with all the Japanese goodness too lol More then half of the games I'm buying this year are Japanese.

Top Bottom