• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED ASH Kickstater - PS4 Stretch Goal Confirmed (Goal: 800,000/PS4: 1 million)

Kusagari

Would that really make a diference? I think the Inafune hate is here to stay and even if he made a good second Red Ash Kickstarter everyone would still be talkig about how bad the fist one was.

The only real chance to rescue this thing on a second attempt is Mighty No 9 being well received.

I think any future Inafune has at doing Kickstarter's rests on how the MN9 skeptics ultimately view the completed project.

junpei

Would that really make a diference? I think the Inafune hate is here to stay and even if he made a good second Red Ash Kickstarter everyone would still be talkig about how bad the fist one was.

Pretty much this . the brain has a negative bias . people are more sensitive to negativity . any comeback would have to amazing to even get people to reconsider .

I've backed a few projects I was certain wouldn't make it, so it might still make the finish line.

It does feel like the further we get from his departure from Capcom, the less Inafune's brand is worth, though.

Damo1234

Neo Member
They were at like $455.5K before announcing the console. Now they're at $455.2K.

So they lost money from people who only backed it to vote for their console of choice.

And now it's at about $455.4K.

So the people who backed it saying they'd withdraw if PS4 won withdrew, and now the people who said they'd back it if PS4 won are putting in money.

Ehh the PS4 stretch goal should have been there from the beginning, now I'm afraid it's too little too late. The momentum of the ks absolutely tanked.

I wonder how much of an effect will this have, hopefully the ks actually reaches this stretch goal :-D

This. They had to have known people wanted it on PS4 even before that landslide poll and that that would have pushed it harder at the beginning, they should have had it there from day 1.

Fireblend

Banned

I think it would. A much better produced campaign, with a less ambitious scope and a vertical slice or some prototype footage would go a very long way towards legitimizing the project. There's tons of interest in a new MML or a MML-like, but that doesn't mean Inafune can just create a barebones KS campaign and call it a day for it to get funded.

I would at least back a better KS and actually the Inafune hate is his fault for announcing several other projects after the MN9 KS.

This Final Bosman episode kinda hits the nail on the head. Why is he asking people for money, when it seems he has enough money to finance everything. A MN9 anime, that will make some money. The profits from MN9 when it releases, no matter how big they will be. A MN9 live-action...
People are wondering why he asks fans again for money, when he can afford those other projects...

I think it would. A much better produced campaign, with a less ambitious scope and a vertical slice or some prototype footage would go a very long way towards legitimizing the project. There's tons of interest in a new MML or a MML-like, but that doesn't mean Inafune can just create a barebones KS campaign and call it a day for it to get funded.
Inafune hate, first kickstarter being a success but people hating it didn't end how they wanted, second MN9 kickstarter of DLC and both Red Ash kickstarters failing. All of that will be on peoples mind if a second kickstarter of Red Ash appears and even if they show gameplay people will still complain that is not enough or that it's not how they think the game should look since they have a mental image of how a new MML should look like.

I would love to be wrong and people forgive Inafune if he shows some gameplay with a clear kickstarter..... but I doubt it. To me this is the only chance Red Ash has, using kickstarter at least.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wait you mean they needed a survey to determine what platform has the most people interested? Have they looked at sales world wide?

And a survey that only people who already donated could vote in. So if you were holding off to see if your favorite console might see support, you didn't get a say. All to go with the leading console in sales anyway.

Edzi

I never really played MM Legends so I'm not really the target audience for this game, but there's one thing I really don't understand. Legends was a story based game, right? And fans are upset that they never got a continuation of that story, so why exactly did they expect that they could use the fan nostalgia to fund this completely unrelated (from a story/world perspective) game? It makes sense why it would work with Mighty No. 9, but seems really odd that they thought they'd get the same reaction with this game.

Silvawuff

As this KS gets closer to ending I can see the fund going up toward the goal, then a mass withdrawal if it's not getting close to a mil for the PS4 goal.

Either way I agree with the consensus of this thread -- this KS needs to be buried and pitched again once they have some legit content to show.

Damo1234

Neo Member
I would at least back a better KS and actually the Inafune hate is his fault for announcing several other projects after the MN9 KS.

This Final Bosman episode kinda hits the nail on the head. Why is he asking people for money, when it seems he has enough money to finance everything. A MN9 anime, that will make some money. The profits from MN9 when it releases, no matter how big they will be. A MN9 live-action...
People are wondering why he asks fans again for money, when he can afford those other projects...

Licensing does not make that much money. Marvel licensed their properties left and right back in the day, and they still went bankrupt then got bought up by Disney then had to wait to get their licenses back.

You're right that they could have taken the money from the licensing, and from MN9 sales and used it to fund something they could show publishers, although they would have been at a serious disadvantage in trying to negotiate a deal in which they kept the IP rights themselves. Moreover it would be completely idiotic for them to spend all that money just on Red Ash, so more likely they would have spread it out among other projects, meaning that it would have taken longer for things to come together for Red Ash, and the game would have been more vulnerable to the ups and downs of the company overall.

Put simply, by going the kickstarter route it's possible to get this done more reliably and far far sooner.

KoopaTheCasual

No PS4 and Xbox One release? No money from me.

I like my console games multiplat where possible.
So I guess you shouldn't have a problem with this one?

I'm not even backing this thing, because the whole campaign was poorly conceived and managed, but don't act like they somehow have the means to create an entirely different port, when they can't even muster enough support to fund the KS.

Yeah, there is a lot of bad things about the kickstarter and how Inafune has handled things that much is clear. If you ask me no kickstarter should be founded if there is no gameplay to show at the beginning of them, that includes Shenmue and Bloodstained. The only reason I give a pass to Red Ash is because of my love of a MML style game, the same way people felt for Bloodstained even though there was no gameplay for the kickstarter.

They were at like $455.5K before announcing the console. Now they're at $455.2K.

So they lost money from people who only backed it to vote for their console of choice.

And now it's at about $455.4K.

So the people who backed it saying they'd withdraw if PS4 won withdrew, and now the people who said they'd back it if PS4 won are putting in money.

Resulting in no progress at all.
$455,552 now. Back to "before update" level.
This is just sad. They can only blame themselves though

Fireblend

Banned
Inafune hate, first kickstarter being a success but people hating it didn't end how they wanted, second MN9 kickstarter of DLC and both Red Ash kickstarters failing. All of that will be on peoples mind if a second kickstarter of Red Ash appears and even if they show gameplay people will still complain that is not enough or that it's not how they think the game should look since they have a mental image of how a new MML should look like.

I would love to be wrong and people forgive Inafune if he shows some gameplay with a clear kickstarter..... but I doubt it. To me this is the only chance Red Ash has, using kickstarter at least.

We can agree to disagree :) I just think people would see value in a better produced proposal.

Yeah, there is a lot of bad things about the kickstarter and how Inafune has handled things that much is clear. If you ask me no kickstarter should be founded if there is no gameplay to show at the beginning of them, that includes Shenmue and Bloodstained. The only reason I give a pass to Red Ash is because of my love of a MML style game, the same way people felt for Bloodstained even though there was no gameplay for the kickstarter.

IIRC there was an update later in Bloodstaineds Kickstarter and they showed some walking animation.

Cmagus

Yeah, there is a lot of bad things about the kickstarter and how Inafune has handled things that much is clear. If you ask me no kickstarter should be founded if there is no gameplay to show at the beginning of them, that includes Shenmue and Bloodstained. The only reason I give a pass to Red Ash is because of my love of MML style game, the same way people felt for Bloodstained even though there was no gameplay for the kickstarter.

See I really want a MML style game as well and was extremely disappointed when Capcom cancelled MML3 but I mean we still haven't seen this game yet.

This is a trend with a lot of these kickstarters basically saying you'll like our game cause it's like A game and B game without showing much. I think it's fine to support this but if wait for now.

We can agree to disagree :) I just think people would see value in a better produced proposal.
We have 10 days so we well see how it ends.... maybe I'll win the lottery and pay for the entire kickstarter myself XD.
T_T

IIRC there was an update later in Bloodstaineds Kickstarter and they showed some walking animation.
It wasn't at the beginning and it was offscreen. I want to see something like the Yooka kickstarter that showed a small taste of the game from the beginning, that way people are sure they like how the game looks and don't complain later like with MN9.

koutoru

From comcepts comments on the kickstarter page it looks like the next update will involve prototype gameplay.
But who knows if even that will help at this point.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Would make a huge difference to me. This Kickstarter is an awful pitch and just because I'm not a businessman doesn't mean that I will throw money blindly at anything.
Make a pitch I can believe in and then I will back it.

From comcepts comments on the kickstarter page it looks like the next update will involve prototype gameplay.
But who knows if even that will help at this point.

Like others already said. Why wait so bloody long with all of this?
It's like they just realised this isn't going well and are now scrambling together something

Heyt

Banned
I think it would

everyone just spent all of their money on yooka laylee, bloodstained and shenmue 3. plus mighty number 9 is like 2 months away. the timing on this thing is just terrible.

I have no doubt that if they launched this thing in February 2016 it would have hit its goal in a day.

I agree with this. Also, if the game looked cool and promising and had a good campaign the second time around nobody would be talking about the 1st campaign because they would be interested in how the actual game seems to be.

Silvawuff

I feel like the only reason this kickstarter exists is to make me sad.

Don't be sad! I would look at it as an opportunity for potential! They'll see that pitching half-assed projects like this make for poor results, and down the road we may get a better game as a result. Chin up!

KingJ2002

Love the concept but I wish he would have waited till mighty no. 9 released or at least have been up front with a ps4 release from the start. Either way I can't back this at the moment,

Top Bottom