• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Having A Rough Launch On PC

I doubt SDD will be used as VRAM on PS5, but developers will be able to stream data much faster, and therefore save big amount of VRAM.

You are correct, they won't be using flash in the same was as main ram / vram. It's a great way to access data though, as you say, reducing the amount of assets you need in memory ahead of time.

They've used ssd as vram before Google SSG solid state graphics, its a GPU tech from AMD, the same people designing consoles for Sony and Microsoft, and they showed it rendering a frame of 200+ billion polygons in realtime and it's not a procedural shader trick like Nvidia showed recently,

basically the ssd on next gen consoles doesnt work like your usual pc ssd it's simply the ssd soldered close to the gpu and the GPU can access it directly without consulting the CPU or other silly interfaces it dramatically reduces latency!

EhwWJAs.png

They aren't using it interchangeably with the dram. They are using it to access or create very large data sets.

Video ram has to be able to sustain a practically unlimited number of read / write operations and at very, very high bandwidth.

The flash memory on these Radeon cards cannot do that, and no-one would attempt to use it in the same manner as the 8 or 16 GB of dram on the card.

Flash doesn't have the endurance or bandwidth to act as a direct substitute for video ram, and it will not be used for that in next gen consoles.

You are badly misleading people.

Only played for about an hour so far. Bought and launching directly from Rockstar Launcher.

I crash when I try to adjust aim sensitivity during gameplay, otherwise no hiccups yet

Coflash

Ended up buying it and giving it a go

All yesterday/last night I couldn't even launch it, error after error and after I managed to get it going, it'd crash after changing any video setting.

Today it works flawlessly. I leave all settings at default + turn off motion blur and I get 84FPS on average at 1440p

8700K, RTX2080, 32GB RAM, SSD

But apart from obvious launcher / performance issues, there are some things that are just inexcusable. The controls, parts of the UI, clicks not registering, some graphical issues (and so on). After GTAV I really thought they were on top of the PC side of things. They had it wrong for so many years, got it right, and have fucked it up again. It's a shame.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I just purchased a 1080 TI, I am waiting for impressions. Its 79 CDN plus 13% tax here. I am waiting for more impressions.

You are correct, they won't be using flash in the same was as main ram / vram. It's a great way to access data though, as you say, reducing the amount of assets you need in memory ahead of time.

They aren't using it interchangeably with the dram. They are using it to access or create very large data sets.

Video ram has to be able to sustain a practically unlimited number of read / write operations and at very, very high bandwidth.

The flash memory on these Radeon cards cannot do that, and no-one would attempt to use it in the same manner as the 8 or 16 GB of dram on the card.

Flash doesn't have the endurance or bandwidth to act as a direct substitute for video ram, and it will not be used for that in next gen consoles.

You are badly misleading people.
I haven't mislead people I'm just posting what's been shown, n I've posted links on how it's done and you can YouTube and see how it's done it's basically the ssd being used as vram go YouTube and watch the ssG keynote, if u want to complain go complain to amd and tell them to stop misleading people!

GC_DALBEN

Mine 50~90fps on high. (no msaa, no fxa, no blur, - water phisycs)

gtx1080
16gb ram
2560x1080
Vulcan (20% faster than dx12)

My only problem is the mouse navigation, when youre searching in your bag, if you click the item, Arthur uses the item when i only wanted to see what the item do, on the menus mouse navigation is horrible.

I have a problem that i dont know how to fix, when the player moves (or any other moving object) they leave very subtle effect like a ghost (like quantum break), what setting change this ?

Sorry about my english.

Södy

LOL... And the price difference vs performance between the X and your PC is....? I assume 4 x the price for an extra 20-25fps.

I'm not saying PC isn't superior but this whole shitting on console power thing is ridiculous, of course if I buy a Mercedes, I'm going to expect it to perform better than a Toyota. In other news sky is blue!

Well, I never said anything about prices. I just said, it is smoother. Which it is. I never "shitted on console power", just stated, that it feels better.

Jayjayhd34

gtx1080
16gb ram
2560x1080

My only problem is the mouse navigation, when youre searching in your bag, if you click the item, Arthur uses the item when i only wanted to see what the item do, on the menus mouse navigation is horrible.

I have a problem that i dont know how to fix, when the player moves (or any other moving object) they leave very subtle effect like a ghost (like quantum break), what setting change this ?

Sorry about my english.

if you pull down before letting go you will not consume it, if its red and you let go you will drink,etc Its a terrible design.

Last edited:

Loke

What the fuck is up with the terrible UI in this game. Can hardly navigate it using the mouse; sometimes it forces me to use the arrow keys because I can't even select something with the mouse. It's even worse than Skyrim's UI.

Someone please make something like SkyUI for this.

Last edited:

MarkyG

What the fuck is up with the terrible UI in this game. Can hardly navigate it using the mouse; sometimes it forces me to use the arrow keys because I can't even select something with the mouse. It's even worse than Skyrim's UI.

Someone please make something like SkyUI for this.

Yep, agreed. It's awful. GTA V's PC port is heads and shoulders above this.

If i log out while in a city or in the camp my game will crash when i log back in. Unless i choose safe mode, move away from the area. Now i always log out while in the wilderness.
But then often i get the infinite load bug.

Game has crashed for every streamer I´ve been watching, the gamer nexus guy also had lots of problems. It wasn´t ready for release. This is some display by Rockstar and the epic store.

I dunno if it matters where you bought/launch from or not

I bought and launch directly from Rockstar, my crashes are always after I adjust settings while already in-game, otherwise I’m fine. Hope they fix it all ASAP

I haven't mislead people I'm just posting what's been shown, n I've posted links on how it's done and you can YouTube and see how it's done it's basically the ssd being used as vram go YouTube and watch the ssG keynote, if u want to complain go complain to amd and tell them to stop misleading people!

AMD aren't misleading people, you are. I don't think it's intentional, I think you don't understand what they're doing and why.

But this is OT so I'm going to shut the fuck up and leave the thread to angry PC gamers.

(General buggy shitness is actually a legit reason though).

Like I said on my post in the other thread.

Per this, it sounds like people need to adjust their expectations on what they can run this at.

AMD aren't misleading people, you are. I don't think it's intentional, I think you don't understand what they're doing and why.

But this is OT so I'm going to shut the fuck up and leave the thread to angry PC gamers.

(General buggy shitness is actually a legit reason though).
They showed frames being rendered realtime with 250 billion polygons on a card with 16gb vram and the 2tb ssG this isn't possible with the 16gb alone! Here's the video

They showed frames being rendered realtime with 250 billion polygons on a card with 16gb vram and the 2tb ssG this isn't possible with the 16gb alone! Here's the video

That does not mean that flash memory is being used in the same way that vram typically is.

Next gen systems may be able to access data in flash memory as if it was within the dram accessible range. But that does not mean - and will never mean - that flash memory is effectively the same as vram.

You aren't qualified to share the opinions you hold. You spread misinformation as your default.

That does not mean that flash memory is being used in the same way that vram typically is.

Next gen systems may be able to access data in flash memory as if it was within the dram accessible range. But that does not mean - and will never mean - that flash memory is effectively the same as vram.

You aren't qualified to share the opinions you hold. You spread misinformation as your default.
I just posted a video showing flash being used as vram and here you are complaining and accusing me of misinformation

I just showed you that it does, if u hate the fact that it does isn't my problem or anybody's it renders a frame of 200 billion polygons not possible with the onboard 16gb vram alone because it's using the band as vram aswell. I showed evidence so who is spreading misinformation here?
No. You posted a video that you think shows it working as you think it does. It doesn't. As I've told you repeatedly you don't have a fucking clue what the hell you're talking about.

It does work as they say it does and it's you who either doesn't have a fucking clue what they are talking about or simply denying the truth, they've loaded 200 billion polygon data set which is impossible on the 16gb alone it'll take a rack of 16gb cards to even attempt to render that whole frame, this is only accessible using the ssG hate it or love it, they've clearly said it on the video

The game's been running great for me... when it works.

Saying that, It took nearly 4 days for me to be able to get into the damn game. Worked fine yesterday and seemed fine earlier today until the game hardlocked my whole system. Tried again tonight, played for a while, left the game idle for 10 minutes and came back to a BSoD.

No. You posted a video that you think shows it working as you think it does. It doesn't. As I've told you repeatedly you don't have a fucking clue what the hell you're talking about.
It does work as they say it does and it's you who either doesn't have a fucking clue what they are talking about or simply denying the truth, they've loaded 200 billion polygon data set which is impossible on the 16gb alone it'll take a rack of 16gb cards to even attempt to render that whole frame, this is only accessible using the ssG hate it or love it, they've clearly said it on the video the card has 16gb and they compared it to a quadro 32gb and it couldn't load that data set!

It does work as they say it does and it's you who either doesn't have a fucking clue what they are talking about or simply denying the truth, they've loaded 200 billion polygon data set which is impossible on the 16gb alone it'll take a rack of 16gb cards to even attempt to render that whole frame, this is only accessible using the ssG hate it or love it, they've clearly said it on the video the card has 16gb and they compared it to a quadro 32gb and it couldn't load that data set!
It works how they say it does, however, unlike you, they don't conflate the onboard storage with the VRAM...and they're not going to tell you that it's useful for gaming, because it isn't. It's not VRAM, it'll never be VRAM, and it's not being used as VRAM. Just because they're storing data on it temporarily does not mean it's VRAM or that it's being used as VRAM. It's much slower than VRAM. MUCH slower. You can't use it the same way you do VRAM and as a result it is completely useless outside of large scale rendering performed within enterprise environments.

Like I said...you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Last edited:
It works how they say it does, however, unlike you, they don't conflate the onboard storage with the VRAM...and they're not going to tell you that it's useful for gaming, because it isn't. It's not VRAM, it'll never be VRAM, and it's not being used as VRAM. Just because they're storing data on it temporarily does not mean it's VRAM or that it's being used as VRAM. It's much slower than VRAM. MUCH slower. You can't use it the same way you do VRAM and as a result it is completely useless outside of large scale rendering performed within enterprise environments.

Like I said...you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Your just pissed that they use it as vram and that the tech is coming to nextgen consoles, Ur a pc guy and u simply hate to see this tech on consoles I get it. But the fact still remains it's SSG and it's vram go drink poison of u don't like it

Gamezone

Gold Member
Almost 40.000 people playing it today. Not bad for a broken game. Many people aren't even able to launch the damn thing due to issues with the Rockstar Launcher.

The game was released on consoles a year ago. It released broken on PC a month ago, and it's still broken, regardless of EGS beta testing it for us.

Yoda

I was holding off for the steam release, but the reviews have made me hold off on a double dip (something I rarely do anyway). Once it's confirmed to no longer have reliability issues I'll most likely pick it up.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess I'm lucky to not have any issues (other than one crash while running the benchmark after messing around with the settings but then it was fine when I played for a few hours straight through the intro stuff)? Is there a tweaking guide with pictures showing what each option does though? I could use one.

With the default "Balanced" settings I couldn't maintain 60 fps so rather than try (and fail due to an aging i7 3770K) to go for that or inconsistent performance I instead set everything to High (except textures on Ultra) and locked it to 30 fps (RTSS). That means that I enabled or turned to High things initially disabled/Low/Medium but also that some things already set to Ultra I dropped down to High (Advanced settings also). That gives my GTX1080 some headroom (getting like 40-60 fps in different benchmark sections in 1440p) so I'm thinking I can turn more things to Ultra but I cba to test every little thing to see if it even makes a noticable difference.

Beautiful game either way. It also seems to play way better than GTAV (so far), that one had dreadful controls (with both gamepad and mkb) I have no idea how it got so popular. The FPS mode seems pretty damn functional here even!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

gtx1080
16gb ram
2560x1080

Sorry about my english.

That doesn't sound so bad. I'm on a GTX 1080 and i7 6700k, and was really worried about performance after hearing some stuff around the initial launch. I already played it on PS4 Pro, so I was in no rush to get it if I couldn't have a markedly better experience on my PC.

That doesn't sound so bad. I'm on a GTX 1080 and i7 6700k, and was really worried about performance after hearing some stuff around the initial launch. I already played it on PS4 Pro, so I was in no rush to get it if I couldn't have a markedly better experience on my PC.

Before I upgraded, I was on a 1070 ti and i7-4960x.

At 1440p, textures on ultra, everything else on high except medium water settings and reflections, grass detaiil bumped up (in a good way, make them better) a few notches from default, tree tesselation off, I was averaging 45ish FPS. With about 0.18 nvidia sharpening the game looks gorgeous and is very responsive.

Other than mouse sensitive being too high I have no performance complaints. I haven’t tried online yet (really need to)

launcher issues are still plaguing me from time to time tho

Last edited:
Top Bottom