• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - RTX 4090

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

GymWolf

I'm more impressed with Death Stranding personally

Sure at a first glance ds could look better in some moments, but Ds has nothing going on in his world and most animations are pretty shitty\gamey.

Rdr2 animal ecosystem alone has more shit going on than ds in his best moments, let alone all the npcs interactions etc.

The games are not even on the same universe for me, ds clearly wins in character rendering (faces mostly) and ground textures becuse it use photogrammery.

Overall his barren world never impressed me that much (while still looking great of course)

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Sure at a first glance ds could look better in some moments, but Ds has nothing going on in his world and most animations are pretty shitty\gamey.

Rdr2 animal ecosystem alone has more shit going on than ds in his best moments, let alone all the nocs interactions etc.

The games are not even on the same universe for me, ds clearly wins is character rendering (faces mostly) and ground textures becuse it use photogrammery.

Overall his barren world never impressed me that much.
Yeah RDR2 is technically better. Just doesn't give me a 'holy shit this is next gen' vibe to it. Death Stranding gives the impression of looking better than it actually is - at least to my eyes!

GymWolf

Yeah RDR2 is technically better. Just doesn't give me a 'holy shit this is next gen' vibe to it. Death Stranding gives the impression of looking better than it actually is - at least to my eyes!
Ds obviously looks fucking great, but the dull barren world and the meh animations never wowed me that much, character rendering was best in class with tlou2 and detroit tho.

Filben

Haven't watched it but I reckon it doesn't look better than "3090 gameplay + ultra settings".

Now if only the game was fun...
RDR2 with Max Payne 3 controls and I would definitely play it a second time. But knowing the story and playing it for the rest... not gonna happen.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Every game every needs a these like this leave no game behind! Anyone run Pheleos or Hellfire with the new 4090?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm more impressed with Death Stranding personally

Absolutely.
It looks incredible and runs 4k100+ on 3080.
I have all versions on all platforms but plan to replay on ps5 due to 3d audio and dualsense.

That said - some shots from me fooling around with pc version. Best looking game ever.. or maybe tlou2.
This game is insanely good

SdMZLst.jpg

2STAtQ2.jpg

GymWolf

Absolutely.
It looks incredible and runs 4k100+ on 3080.
I have all versions on all platforms but plan to replay on ps5 due to 3d audio and dualsense.

That said - some shots from me fooling around with pc version. Best looking game ever.. or maybe tlou2.
This game is insanely good

SdMZLst.jpg

2STAtQ2.jpg
These screens are not the pc version maxed out right? That second pic looks like the console version with shitty anisotropic, the ground lose details 5 cm away from the ups dude...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
These screens are not the pc version maxed out right? That second pic looks like the console version with shitty anisotropic, the ground lose details 5 cm away from the ups dude...
maxed out pc directors cut.
You can't see the moss this far.
tbh the game looks amazing in motion when not scrutinizing it. especially characters and animations

Nvzman

Rdr2 animal ecosystem alone has more shit going on than ds in his best moments, let alone all the nocs interactions etc.

The games are not even on the same universe for me, ds clearly wins is character rendering (faces mostly) and ground textures becuse it use photogrammery.

Overall his barren world never impressed me that much (while still looking great of course)
Its a matter of gameplay vs realism/presentation. RDR2 is very clunky and slow deliberately to give a realistically weighty feel to your character, while in Death Stranding it's designed like MGSV, where control takes priority over the animations. As a result Death Stranding feels much better to control but looks gamier. Both do their respective ambitions well imo, just different ideas for how the gameplay should feel.

Cyberpunk looks simultaneously impressive and ugly.
The best looking game on PC can't possibly be "simultaneously impressive and ugly". Where are all your standards guys, good lord.
I know it's cool for whatever reason to say Cyberpunk is impressive but come on...best ever?

GymWolf

Its a matter of gameplay vs realism/presentation. RDR2 is very clunky and slow deliberately to give a realistically weighty feel to your character, while in Death Stranding it's designed like MGSV, where control takes priority over the animations. As a result Death Stranding feels much better to control but looks gamier. Both do their respective ambitions well imo, just different ideas for how the gameplay should feel.
I get what you say but i partially disagree, a lot of games have snappy controls and way better movements and combat animations than death stranding, first example that comes to mind is tlou2 that play way better than rdr2 and still has way more realistic and good looking animations than ds, melee combat in ds is not only ugly looking but clunky AF, tlouw manage to have way better animations and melee combat feeling, like not even close, i know that ds is not a combat centric games, but still...

Ds has some good animations but many of them are meh or just hilarious and gamey AF, i never liked kojima style of animations except zoe saga.

The game has hyper realistic characters and locations and even a semi-realistic slow paced gameplay where you have to look where you put your feet on etc., so these animations are a huge clash compared to how realistic the game look.

Many people don't over-analyze animations so they are perfectly ok with ds animations, but for me they were by far the weakest graphical aspect of the game, other than a world more barren than my tinder message box.

I think that for the type of physics\terrain based gameplay that ds try to achieve, the euphoria engine from rdr2 would be great to use with some tweaks to the controls to make everything more snappier.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
The best looking game on PC can't possibly be "simultaneously impressive and ugly". Where are all your standards guys, good lord.
I know it's cool for whatever reason to say Cyberpunk is impressive but come on...best ever?
The level of detail, sense of scale and world is very impressive. But there are a lot of muddy textures and the general post processing doesn't look very good to me.

GymWolf

He meant that the game is stupidly uneven, it looks incredible in one scene and kinda ugly 5 meters from that.

Every open world is uneven by nature, but cyberpunk was kinda the game where i noticed it most lately.

Rdr2 on the other hand manage to look good to great but maybe not incredible most of the times.

At least this was my impression after more than 100 hours with both.

Del_X

Cyberpunk with psycho RT looks better at pretty much any time. AO and rasterized lighting still make RDR 2 look unnatural anytime there's serious contrast and shadows present. Still looks amazing, but yeah - saying is looks better than Cyberpunk is pure cope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom