• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 sold through $725m the first 3 Days. (Biggest Entertainment Opening Weekend of All Time)

Red Dead Redemption 2’s list of initial benchmarks include:

• Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
  • Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
  • Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
  • Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181030005459/en/

AlexxKidd

giphy.gif

DonF

Where most of us are going to play.
My wallet is dying. I changed house and just got Dragon Quest XI, I just cant justify another full price game, but its R* so it won't drop in price even if I wait a year...decision, decisions

crobb991

Banned
i feel bad for my mrs... not only was i busy with god of war this month... but im now onto this... shes raging lol

GenericUser

Impressive.

What amaze me the most its that the full marketing campaing started full just 2 month ago.
There are some games in the world that don't need much advertisement. Bethesda could stealth launch TES6 tomorrow and would probably also do insanely well.

Congratulations Rockstar, it's good that it pays off for them, to produce something with this scope and ambition. Well done! It's also sending the right message to ambitious developers. It can be worth it.

Last edited:

Calibos

Where most of us are going to play.
My wallet is dying. I changed house and just got Dragon Quest XI, I just cant justify another full price game, but its R* so it won't drop in price even if I wait a year...decision, decisions

When your install base is more than double any other console, this is no shit news.

Good job Rockstar, the game is amazing.

People are dying for GTA6.

"This will have to do, an open world action adventure rockstar game..." - figured 95% of the people that bought it, including me.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Now I understand why Rockstar paid for all those 10/10s.

Joking. Game is amazing even if the control scheme is extremely questionable.

When your install base is more than double any other console, this is no shit news.

Good job Rockstar, the game is amazing.

Those metrics have nothing to do with install base.
It's just that T2 and Sony teamed up to do that PR because of their marketing deal.

Only thing Rockstar could brag about on Xbox Live without Microsofts consent is "biggest T2 day one sales on Xbox Live" just like Activision did.
And even in that case they would talk to Microsoft first if it's okay.

Vawn

Banned

"This will have to do, an open world action adventure rockstar game..." - figured 95% of the people that bought it, including me.

I don't care for GTA, but love RDR. Therefore, I must assume 95% of the people who buy GTA 6 will be doing so just to kill time for RDR 3.

Impressive, but this makes me worried for RDR Online's launch.. here's hoping Rockstar doesn't repeat the same mistakes of GTA Online's launch.

$725 Million in 3 days?!!! It takes Marvel many weeks to make this kind of cash with their billion dollar franchises! Just so nice to see how alive and flourishing the gaming industry still is. 😊

Calibos

Those metrics have nothing to do with install base.
It's just that T2 and Sony teamed up to do that PR because of their marketing deal.

Only thing Rockstar could brag about on Xbox Live without Microsofts consent is "biggest T2 day one sales on Xbox Live" just like Activision did.
And even in that case they would talk to Microsoft first if it's okay.

86 million consoles has nothing to do with the metrics?

Is this a console war spin from you? I wasn't trying to console war...just stating a fact when obvious things are spun into hyperbole.

Last edited:

Not me, never cared for any GTA, but Red Dead is my fav game of all time. With me it's more of a History and imagination thing, Red Dead just transports me back in time, i really feel like I'm living over 100 years ago in the Wild West, a bygone era that this world will never see again.

With GTA, if i wanted to live in that world i can just pack up right now and move to Chicago or L.A., the game is a bit to juvenile for my taste at my current age (37). Maybe if i was 15-20 again?

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Impressive, but this makes me worried for RDR Online's launch.. here's hoping Rockstar doesn't repeat the same mistakes of GTA Online's launch.

Haven't played RDR2 yet but curious for those that have...does it seem like it has potential for a good online/multiplayer experience?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Haven't played RDR2 yet but curious for those that have...does it seem like it has potential for a good online/multiplayer experience?

VERY high level of potential for great online. It'll get "feel" different from GTA online.

AlexxKidd

I didn't think it would but it does. I do NOT think it has GTAV potential simply of the cars vs. horses thing. But if you can get a gang together not unlike the one in the game, there is a lot of appeal there. Not to mention if anything you could just use it to play poker online lol.

Catphish

The game is a masterpiece. It has its hitches, sure, but it is a relentlessly compelling, and an utterly enthralling experience. All I want to do is play it.

Looking forward to RDR:O, and the eventual PC release. 👍

RDR1 already had great online - it was essentially the prototype for what eventually became GTAO (free-roaming activities and the like), and I expect RDR2 Online to follow a similar trajectory, incorporating GTAO-like Heists and such.

Pretty crazy numbers. So I guess that works out to over 10 million copies sold in just 3 days ?

I haven't bought it yet but intend to. I'm tempted to get the PS4 Pro/RDR2 bundle.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well deserved. Great game, narrative and um no Sony interference/censorship. Guess when you have the $$$ nobody fucks with you.

Ozrimandias

RDR1 already had great online - it was essentially the prototype for what eventually became GTAO (free-roaming activities and the like), and I expect RDR2 Online to follow a similar trajectory, incorporating GTAO-like Heists and such.

I expect Red Dead Online to be more than GTAO, in fact, i expect it to be the fundamental and pillar of a future GTAO2

Rockstar doenst reinvent the wheel with every new game, they take past works and implement them in their new games. And its remarkable how they improve with every new iteration.

Boss Mog

It's well deserved. The game is quite remarkable though not without its faults.

Meh. Imagine the numbers it would've done if they'd bothered to release it on the Switch.
So even on the gaming side, all you contribute is drive by shitposts.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I think the Online game is going to demolish everything. This world they have created is set up so perfectly for it, and they have years of experience with GTA Online to build from. can't wait. I thought GTA Online was fun but I'm really pumped for this.

86 million consoles has nothing to do with the metrics?

Is this a console war spin from you? I wasn't trying to console war...just stating a fact when obvious things are spun into hyperbole.

With being the biggest pre ordered game on PSN, being the biggest day 1 and 3 days full game sales on PSN? No!
That would've been the same with a 30 or 50 million install base.

It's just digital growing and a relative metric.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Good for R* I guess. I can't say it's deserved. It's not as good as many many other games that sold far less. I guess when you know how to secure 98% meta critic when the game is more like a 85%, you know to work the system. Too many control issues, strange or broken game mechanics to be a "perfect" game. It looks good, but that should not be enough.

Calibos

With being the biggest pre ordered game on PSN, being the biggest day 1 and 3 days full game sales on PSN? No!
That would've been the same with a 30 or 50 million install base.

It's just digital growing and a relative metric.

for kicks:

50 million install base = 10 million preorders

86 million install base = 20 million preorders

Made up numbers, but they aren't using percentages in the article so to me, it makes sense that it would be "most ever" status as the PSN is much larger than it has ever been and much larger than any other console. Am I crazy? why are we actually talking about this anyways...it's a nice PR article.

Impressive. Maybe not really all that surprising though. From the creators of the biggest game of all time with striking similarities.

Top Bottom