• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm Invitation Beta is live (websites will give out keys)

spectros4

Neo Member
Is there going to be an OT/specific thread for this game? I won't be home for a few days yet, bought it at the pre-order price though because 15/16(don't remember which) for the deluxe edition was too good to pass up.

I think demolitio said he would make one. I'd make one, but I'm still a junior. It'd be great to have one to clear up all the confusion.

Rifleman class with no stats. I have no idea why people who buy RS get the full RO2 MP but people who bought RO2 only get a limited RS MP. "Those who don't own RO2 don't get the SP." No one does at the moment, they completely removed it from the game until a "later date".

Way to shaft RO2 owners/pre-orderers.

Yea, I agree. I still bought it for 11.99 and I'm enjoying it, but it does seem like a cheap move to people who already owned RO2, myself included.

It's buying the expansion and getting the base game for free. Maybe so people don't get kicked if the map changes to something not Rising Storm? And they definitely knew anyone who still played RO2 would buy it anyway, so it was guaranteed $$.

Rifleman class with no stats. I have no idea why people who buy RS get the full RO2 MP but people who bought RO2 only get a limited RS MP. "Those who don't own RO2 don't get the SP." No one does at the moment, they completely removed it from the game until a "later date".

Way to shaft RO2 owners/pre-orderers.

Yea, I agree. I still bought it for 11.99 and I'm enjoying it, but it does seem like a cheap move to people who already owned RO2, myself included.

It's buying the expansion and getting the base game for free. Maybe so people don't get kicked if the map changes to something not Rising Storm? And they definitely knew anyone who still played RO2 would buy it anyway, so it was guaranteed $$.

Aside from it's buggy release, you got what you paid for when it comes to RO2. You cannot blame them for adding incentives to get people to buy their latest release imo, whether it is a new player or old.

Jharp

So I own Red Orchestra 2, but never bought Rising Storm, and Steam is currently downloading a 7GB file called Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer.

What gives? Do I own Rising Storm? I went to the store page to see if it had the green note that says "you already own x game" and it did not, so I have assume I don't.

So then are they making me download the files but just not giving me access to them?

vazel

Banned
So I own Red Orchestra 2, but never bought Rising Storm, and Steam is currently downloading a 7GB file called Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer.

What gives? Do I own Rising Storm? I went to the store page to see if it had the green note that says "you already own x game" and it did not, so I have assume I don't.

So then are they making me download the files but just not giving me access to them?
You get limited access to Rising Storm. You can only play as rifleman. ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡ °

If you don't own Rising Storm but do own vanilla, you can play RS as a rifleman. Which is actually sort of genius, because it means no one gets lost in the shuffle when the server changes maps.

Dmax3901

Wow that's awesome I didn't know that. I only play rifleman really anyway. It doesn't stop you ranking up or anything like that?

naib

Just drank the kool-aid and re-installing/downloading now.

I really wanted to get into RO2 and was really stoked about it's potential. I just lost my patience with all the issues at the onset. Then it was just bots and the occasional meatbag to shoot at(<100 at least. was not fun to be a hpb).

Might as well strike while the iron's hot!
On better hardware to boot!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/deflorist/

sunnz

I have RO2 so get to play it.

So far, it's pretty good. I love the settings for the most part,I like how the guns do not move independently of the camera when not ADS ( like in normal RO2, your arms moves independently for small movements, it's so annoying) and BONZAIIIII is fun as hell ( unless you run like 50 metres and get shot...

I only get to use the bolt rifle which is good but very weak compared to other guns, oh and the flame-thrower is very powerful and scary.

Except from the game looking like it was made in 2008, pretty good.

I will but it fully for the other guns, but probably in a sale.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I loved the pacific settings and maps in Battlefield 1942 & 1943, is this worth checking out? I am not familiar with this series.

It plays very differently from Battlefield, but if you have even the slightest interest in the history of this theater (like, you've watched The Pacific or, better yet, read something like With the Old Breed), yes, I recommend you try it out.

Actually, I wonder if you might be able to use a RO2 guest pass from someone to sample RS without committing to a purchase. Worth checking out, at least.

It plays very differently from Battlefield, but if you have even the slightest interest in the history of this theater (like, you've watched The Pacific or, better yet, read something like With the Old Breed), yes, I recommend you try it out.

Actually, I wonder if you might be able to use a RO2 guest pass from someone to sample RS without committing to a purchase. Worth checking out, at least.
thanks, i will buy it tomorrow

My install is hanging on pbsvc_hos.exe...
Fucking PB. Should I just go to evenbalance now?

Damn it.

You can always cancel the installs that launch the first time you open a game. You can just launch the game again and you won't have to bother with the installs.

naib

You can always cancel the installs that launch the first time you open a game. You can just launch the game again and you won't have to bother with the installs.
Exactly what I ended up doing. Overreacted a bit I admit.
Worked fine after restarting.

This is great so far. And I've only played a couple RO2 maps.
Feels good.

Plumpman

I like how the guns do not move independently of the camera when not ADS ( like in normal RO2, your arms moves independently for small movements, it's so annoying)

Is there any way to re-enable the arm movement like RO2? That was my favorite part about RO2 compared to other shooters. It just feels so stiff in rising storm now I hate it. :(

What a cool concept...

But now I have to download the remaining 9 GB of the multiplayer :(

Is there a news post about this on Steam anywhere? I had no notification that the Beta was going to be removed from my list and then RS combined with RO2, I had to search GAF

We could really use an |OT| for this.

I'd do one, but I don't know when I'll find the time for it. So if anyone else is up for the task, feel free to post here and call dibs.

demolitio

Sorry guys, had my health issues flare up which limited my time on the computer (I didn't even get to download the retail Rising Storm yet) and basically just remembered to finish this when I checked the thread on my tablet, lol. But I'll be starting more work tomorrow on it and if anyone wants to help, that'd be greatly appreciated since the info is very important in a game like this. Now I can sit and type longer without too many issues so I'll be going full-steam ahead.

If anyone's seen my RO2 OT, it will be similar to that so any suggestions based on that one would be much appreciated as well.

Once again, sorry for the delay. Worst week ever and didn't mean to keep you guys waiting. Sure did make me more of an insomniac though so I'll do some more now. :p

Edit: Any thread title ideas?

Edit: Any thread title ideas?
Rising Storm |OT| The Pacific™ the game

edit:
I did a newbie section for RO2 once, I could tune it for RS if you think it's helpful:

General

War is hell. This game is unforgiving, if you run around aimlessly you will get mowed down fast, esp. with the new, more efficient LMGs.
- Don't run around in the open. Sprint from cover to cover and let your stamina replenish, if you expose yourself to possible enemy positions run in zig-zag lines and jump into the nearest foxhole/crater/trench. Bind your prone key to something you can reach comfortably - you will need it.
- Watch your surroundings carefully and learn the maps. Look for possible enemy hiding places - houses, bunkers etc. If you get flanked you're dead.
- If you want to establish a firing base yourself don't chose exposed locations, don't look around for too long. Take positions behind windows, in the shadows to hide your movement, muzzle flash and your gun.
- Spot enemy positions, again a very important binding for teamplay. Use it not for every GI but for important stuff like flanking enemies, tanks, mgs, officers and snipers.

Territory

RO2's main multiplayer mechanic is called territory, where one team is usually on the defensive, trying to fend of the attacking team. Objectives are captured by being in the capture zone, the more you outweigh the enemy team in the zone, the faster it will capture. There are also bonuses for squad leaders. The levels are broken up in different objectives, which usually open up one after another. So after capturing point A you can capture point B but not before. On default settings the reinforcements (tickets /lives) are quite limited and need attention, as well as a time limit for capturing objectives and a global time limit.

Just a few tips:
Pay attention to the lockdown time limit. Failure to capture vital points within the lockdown time limit means you will lose the round. So if lockdown is near, attack the objective at all cost.
If however the reinforcements are low, take a cautious approach, sometimes it's better to let the other team try to (re)take an objective and let them bleed their reinforcements for a while.

The Modes

Action
More CoD than RO1, you can take more damage, there is a crosshair, you sprint like an athlete on PEDs etc. Go here first if you are new to this type of game.

Classic
More RO1 than RO2, you can take less damage, no class progression benefits (but you still get XP for the other modes), more sway, weapon recoil, the whole deal. Go here if you thought RO2 was cookie cutter, Black-Album-selling-out type stuff to appeal to the unwashed masses.

Realism
The in-betweener.

The Weapons

Pistol
Side arm. Useful especially for Anti Tank Gunners since their gun doesn't fire from the hip. Useless on mid- to long range (lucky shots are a possibility).

Bolt Action
Manly gun for manly men. Use manual bolting for increased manliness (it also reloads a tiny bit faster). Use for mid- to long range, don't forget to lead your target due to bullet travel and drop.

Semi-Auto
Good all-around weapon. More forgiving than bolt action rifles due to the semi-autoness. Don't forget that reloading actually reloads your clip/magazine, so pay attention to the status of your rounds. Hold reload to make your avatar take a look and give an assumption (full, near empty etc.)

SMG
Noobie spray and pray lam0rguns. Just hold trigger and kill. Not too effective on long ranges. The soviet variant has insane rate of fire so it will rule the short range and hip fire and you can feel like a bad ass until someone puts a 7.92 through your skull.
http://youtu.be/Lq63GlFiCKE

Assault Rifle
Can be shot in full and semi-auto. The Russian variant kicks like a mule in full auto-mode and suffers from a small magazine. Must be unlocked through levelling so are not free weekend friendly.

Anti Tank Rifle
Can only be shot when prone or steadied on an object. Has high penetration and can be used to send friendly greetings to that pesky rifleman taking pot shots at your team and feeling all safe behind his wall. When actually used against tanks can be very tricky. Basically the farther away the less likely you are to penetrate. Try vulnerable spots like tank tracks, gunner/driver slits or the turret ring.
Look here for details:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=79101

Machine Gun
Try to set up in the shadows to keep visibility low. Used most effectively to shut down a flank.

Grenade
Standard frag. Mind the team kill. Not effective against tanks (yes, some do try).

Satchel
Can be used to blow up tanks or certain destructible objects such as doors and walls, often revealing a faster way to access an objective.

Smoke Grenade
Used to blind the enemy and enable attacks. Try to throw them as deep as possible on enemy lines in order to blind them. A badly placed smoke grenade can actually be detrimental to the own team's success because you will run through smoke into their fire. Intelligent use of smoke will often determine the success of an attack.

Anti Tank Grenade
Two of these will blow up a fresh tank.

Binoculars
Used to set artillery targets for the commander (right click), can also be used to spot that ******* sniper ******* that constantly killed you after you slogged all the way to the objective.

The Classes

Assault
Armed with an SMG and grenades (default load out). Used best to break/flank enemy lines and wreak havoc up short.

Rifleman
Grunts. Armed with bolt action and grenades. Pick this class for the beginning. You may not get a lot of kills but the role has the least responsibility and you can happily give in the urge to camp a bit (provide a fire base).

Elite Rifleman
Armed with semi-auto. Scarce role, so only pick if you put it to good use.

Machine Gunner
Armed with side arm, machine gun and grenades. Is very slow, so try not to get killed too often, it takes time to find a good spot and start digging into people with your gun. Can be resupplied by teammates.

Marksman
Armed with sniper rifle, side arm and grenades. Very important role, often picked by beginners - don't. Marksmen are needed to take out enemy snipers, MGs and officers but are used far too often to just chase some kills. If you try to snipe from a window try to do it from behind the frame and not lean out, that way you'll reduce LOS to your position and keep in the shadows of the building, making you harder to spot.

Anti Tank Soldier
Armed with anti tank rifle, side arm and anti tank grenade. Hard to use effectively. Beginners should stay away in order to avoid frustration. Nothing beats shooting someone's legs off from 150m though. You feel almost bad for wasting anti tank ammo on infantry.

Engineer
Armed with SMG, satchel and anti tank grenade. Probably my favourite class, very versatile against infantry and tanks, you can also be helpful by bombing away some obstacles. Keep in mind that you are slow and due to the equipment also a juicy target/easier to spot. Satchels "stick" so they can be used on moving tanks but take a bit of experience to use effectively that way.

Squad Leader
Armed with SMG/semi auto, grenades, smoke grenades and binoculars. Vital role, especially for attacking an objective because squad members can spawn on squad leaders, squad leaders can mark artillery targets and provide smoke screens. So staying alive is important, also remember that you can rearm yourself with smoke grenades at ammo boxes (indicated on your map).

Commander
Armed with side arm, SMG/semi auto, grenades, smoke grenades and binoculars. Most important role due to the ability to call in artillery strikes, force respawn and call recon planes (stay at the radio). Use radios scattered among the battle field to do so.
There are three types of artillery:
Mortars
Useful against infantry, short, intense small artillery fire that is very effective against enemies approaching in packs
Regimental guns
High spread, effective vs infantry and armor, moste effectively used to stall enemy attacks/shut down a flank since the barrage takes long
Rockets
Short, powerful barrage, with a wide spread, good to clear out tanks and infantry alike before an immediate attack. Especially useful on Red October's first objective

demolitio

That would be awesome as that's the part that's lacking right now and was going to be time consuming. If everything goes as planned, it should be up really late tonight or early tomorrow morning depending on how you look at it. I just need to take a lot of breaks so I don't aggravate anything again. I'm just happy to be sleeping a little bit again...lol

Sorry for the delay. Didn't help that my power went out during the storm before I could save it in PS. Lesson learned. :p

Top Bottom