• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Steel 2 in Nintendo Power (Red Dead Steel)

Amir0x said:
well it definitely has a more appealing aesthetic than Red Steel 1. Now for the gameplay to not suck.

Really, ya think so?
If RS1 delivered on those really, really 'shopped pics... I would have been very pleased.
It wasn't just that it looked really good, it has a weird glowy style that was unique.

I do think the weird Road Warrior hybrid thing has promise though, that's fo' sho.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah, looking at it and how the hand sticks out, it looks similar to the other small pictures with motion blur on the sword, which are probably concept art.
The only one I know for sure is gameplay is the one with the two characters in it I think.
Andrex said:
...:lol You almost got me, before I saw your name.

I joke not.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
people, ALL the screens in the scan are gameplay. there are plenty of telltale signs, particularly in the shading and the geometry.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HisshouBuraiKen said:
NO multiplayer? Jesus tapdancing Christ, are there ANY FPS games on Wii with local splitscreen that aren't actually just gamecube games?

Red Steel 1

Which I think actually is the only true Wii FPS to have it. It was kinda fun if you were used to RS controls and weren't expecting to be blown away, but then again that's what most local multiplayer games are anyways I suppose.

THWORDTHMAN-THAN, I REQUIRE YO ATHITHTANTHE IN A MATTA MOTHT TLOUBLETHOME TO ME.

A "BAKA"* "YAKUZA"† BY THE NAME OF BIRRY THE KIDDO ITH CAUTHING TLOUBLE IN MY GEISHA THALOON.

MY CUTHTOMERTH CANNOT DLINK THEIR THAKE THATHPERIRRATH. I AM COUNTING ON YOU, "GAIJIN"‡, TO THTOP THITH AND RETHTORE MY HONOR.

*Stupid
†Japanese gangster
‡Foreigner

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm, I wonder where the people who said MotionPlus swordplay wouldn't work are now? I think their argument went something like, you wouldn't be able to stop your swing when it impacts an enemy, or somesuch swill...

MarkusRJR

Andrex said:
Red Steel 1

Which I think actually is the only true Wii FPS to have it. It was kinda fun if you were used to RS controls and weren't expecting to be blown away, but then again that's what most local multiplayer games are anyways I suppose.
No bots though. Local multiplayer FPS games require bots to be fun. :(

I still play Perfeck Dark for that reason alone. :p

Andrex said:
Hrm, I wonder where the people who said MotionPlus swordplay wouldn't work are now? I think their argument went something like, you wouldn't be able to stop your swing when it impacts an enemy, or somesuch swill...
I think it was some BS about how it's not true 1:1 because it lacks 1:1 feed back so theres noting stopping your swing or w/e.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Andrex said:
shouldnt we play it first

dammit I can NOT FIND THOSE PICS!!!! The only one I could find showed him brandishing a sword against some other guy with a sword..... dammit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
scitek said:
Ubisoft thinks we're so fucking stupid. They haven't learned anything from the first game. They're implementing Motion-Plus, but how long have they known about that? Maybe a year?

I just don't buy it. They're not using blood so they can snag a T-rating and, hopefully, appeal to a wider audience, but they're being dishonest about that and trying to have us believe they care about it "distracting" us or whatever. Making it seem as if they care so much about the quality of their game, they wouldn't let something cheapen it in such a way. Please.

If you don't have blood, then don't make a game that should. Take the finishers out and focus on something else entirely, because the whole thing they're going for just contradicts itself and makes them look silly. Uncharted had blood that wasn't over-the-top, and it got a T-rating, but it also wasn't a game with ultra-violent finishers like running a guy through with a fucking Katana. It's possible to make a decent, violently-themed game that's rated T, but you have to do more than just make an M-rated cash-in and pull out the blood and language. It's the videogame equivalent of editing an R-rated horror movie to PG-13.

It never ends well.
EDIT: And I'm thinking, "neither will this."
:p

I'm an expert on Wii culture and Ubisoft has betrayed everyone, repent and publicly apologize.

Or some such, someone do it better than me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks a lot better than I expected, but I'll wait until I see it in motion before I get too excited. If it's smooth and the worlds are detailed, then it's going to look gorgeous. 60fps is great to know.

Andrex said:

lol yah doubters agre on e

Y2Kev said:
shouldnt we play it first

BACK OFF NON-NINTHING

Ashodin

This looks FUCKING AWESOME!

I have been waiting for them to show off how much better they could make the franchise, and it looks like they've succeeded.

More developers need to get the fact that a clean, visually minimalistic look on the Wii makes it look fantastic.

Hopefully we can see the HUD before long.

Also, notice the shadowing? Full shadows baby!

Y2Kev - you and me are going to rule the Red Steeliverse.

JaseMath

I didn't play the first one because I drank the Kool-Aid. I will say this looks awesome from this one screen and the little that I know.

Linkup

It all looks in-game to me. They've got a light bloom going when your are outside and a blur effect on the sword when you hold it close in front of you or swing it. Environments look a bit "open" where's the clutter? The art direction is distinct so it still looks pretty good though.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
scitek said:
Also, this game should totally have this guy as the lead character.
red.gif
red steel 2: okami ?

Kenka

It actually looks convincing. At this stage, I want to know how fast is the action and if you feel really powerful behind the wiimote. Fast paced combats and engaging progression and story will do it for me.

billy.sea

Banned
Finally saw the screens, look pretty nice. This Prince of Persia style of art look much better than the old Red Steel generic art.

Doesn't this NP have alot more info about other Wii games? (Spore Hero/ ToG/ Spyborgs are all in it)

Why isn't there a official thread for this NP yet?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, that actually looks really impressive. 60 fps as well? Really?

I suppose image quality will have a huge impact on the visuals, though. Hopefully the art won't be lost among nasty jaggies, dithering, and other typical Wii problems.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
plank said:
where dose it say that?

It doesn't, but the NP articles says it's required for the game, thus the notion it'll probably be bundled with it...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
dark10x said:
Wow, that actually looks really impressive. 60 fps as well? Really?

I suppose image quality will have a huge impact on the visuals, though. Hopefully the art won't be lost among nasty jaggies, dithering, and other typical Wii problems.
Who are you?

Vinci

Danish
Andrex said:
It doesn't, but the NP articles says it's required for the game, thus the notion it'll probably be bundled with it...

I wish this notion were applied to reality more often.

Ramenman

Andrex said:
Hrm, I wonder where the people who said MotionPlus swordplay wouldn't work are now?

In the exact same place as they always were because the contrary hasn't been proven yet ?
Or has it ?

Valtor

Banned
straydog1980 said:
dammit I can NOT FIND THOSE PICS!!!! The only one I could find showed him brandishing a sword against some other guy with a sword..... dammit.

edit : removed, sorry... it's not that hard to find, come on....

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
I’m not very keen on cell-shading, but if the game plays well then it’s a completely moot point. Hopefully they’ll keep Red Steel’s destructible environments, they were a highlight of the game for me and made gunfights much more fun when electricity, dust and explosions were flying all over the place whenever a burst of uzi fire was haphazardly unleashed. The ‘push the nunchuck to pick up guns, reload and open doors’ controls were cool too, and the enemy squad leader and non-linear mission selection ideas had loads of unfulfilled potential. As long as they keep all RS’s good bits intact (and despite what the whingeing ‘hardcore’ like to claim, there were plenty) and sort out the bugs and messy controls, Ubi should be onto a very safe winner. No multiplayer is a disappointment, but no big deal for me - there’s always Conduit for online, at least.

http://digg.com/u12Ctf

Vinci

Danish
pakkit said:
High Voltage is comprised of around 150 employees.

And sadly none seem to have the artistic chops of whoever the hell designed the lead character in this. Best wishes to them beyond that though.

Neiteio

No multiplayer? Eh.

Cel-shading is very promising, though. I'm always encouraged when Wii devs use cel-shading because hi-def or not, cel-shading looks great. I don't notice any graphical deficiencies in games when they're stylized; to this day The Wind Waker looks amazing, and it's a GameCube title. It's a solid workaround to the Wii's graphical limitations. In a better world, all Wii devs would either cel-shade or do whatever the fuck EAD Tokyo did to make Galaxy look so good. But maybe that's just me. :D

This game sounds promising. I was lamenting the lack of big Wii games on the horizon in another thread; if this works out it could help remedy the situation.

That art looks beautiful and the motion-plus talk sounds fantastic. I happened to read the latest NP at my local Border's and I can confirm after seeing the screenshots in the article that the game is absolutely fucking amazing looking. Conduit has nothing on this, SERIOUSLY. The cel-shaded style works really well and it comes off looking gorgeous.

Also, the articles confirms 60 frames per second.

I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed the original Red Steel while acknowledging that it had a TON of problems. That said though, I am super hyped for this one and if the gun controls are Conduit or Metroid level, I am all for it.

Also, because Red Steel was a launch title and a lot of people picked it up (it was the second third party Wii million seller), I feel like if any hardcore game is really going to do well, this will be the one. There is a huge install base already of people who played the original, it isn't a new IP (see MadWorld and Conduit), and if Nintendo is as behind this sequel as they were on the original, we may be in for a huge release.

Also, on a different note, how funny would it be if we get Red Steel 2, Rabbids Go Home, and Zelda Wii all this holiday season? Can you say Christmas 2006 redux?

Wii Will Rock U said:
I feel like if any hardcore game is really going to do well, this will be the one. There is a huge install base already of people who played the original, it isn't a new IP (see MadWorld and Conduit), and if Nintendo is as behind this sequel as they were on the original, we may be in for a huge release.

Agreed, if this title turns out to be good, it'll be the true litmus test on whether or not traditional games sell on the wii.

markatisu

Vinci said:
I wish this notion were applied to reality more often.

Due out at the holidays I would expect it to. Ubisoft has a much closer relationship with the Wii then either SEGA or EA as they supported it from launch.

Especially if its due out anytime near Nov or Dec they can get away with a bundle due to holiday shoppers spending more money (see NERF and every other Wii bundled item in 2007 and 2008)

If they don't its money left on the table imho

GDGF

Soothsayer
I wish someone would take that NP issue and do a nice little bulleted list of all the important info. Hell paraphrase the whole thing if need be. I just wants more info.

Top Bottom