• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Compiles Definitive List of All NMS Missing Features/False Marketing +Sources

Cess007

But you can engage in space battles between two factions. I did it yesterday.

Me too, but hey! What i do know, if the list says it, it's not on it :p

On a serious note, there are several things missing on the game from that list; but there are several others that ain't true. However, i doubt some people will care about facts and will continue to attack/defend the game as they want

KainXVIII

Quick&dirty

sean-png--molyneux-jpg.jpeg

I'm clearly missing something. I'm playing the game and enjoying it thoroughly.

Plus, how could someone be mad at Sean Murray? I mean, just listening to the guy in an interview could put a newborn baby to sleep.

It feels like this will be a very "Destiny" type of game, where the foundation has been released at launch, but there still a lot of content and updates that will really make it the feature packed game they wanted yet to come.

I'm still greatly enjoying the game, and get excited at the potential prospects updates may bring. If VR is one of those updates, count me in doubly so.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, I feel so sorry for all the millions of gamers playing and enjoying this game.

They must be miserable. Or they should be.. I dunno.

Good for them if they are. I even enjoyed it myself for a few hours, but then the more I played the worse it got. That is beside the point, though. As it does not change the fact that Hello Games is full of shit.

Lets just say that Loudninja is more than a fan.

Gotta go to bat for anything sony has a hand in.
I was trying to be charitable lol.
It feels like this will be a very "Destiny" type of game, where the foundation has been set, but there is a lot of content and updates that will really make it the feature packed game they wanted it to be at launch.

I'm still greatly enjoying the game, and get excited at the potential prospects updates may bring. If VR is one of those updates, count me in doubly so.
Destiny succeeded because it had a strong mechanical foundation that felt fun to play from day one. This has a very basic gameplay loop in comparison and I feel like the chance of people sticking around for it long-term like Destiny is far slimmer.

Kacho

But at least Peter and Todd have delivered actual games that were competent, full of content and well received. Hell, Todd still does. But No Man's Sky is a victim of hype it should have never had due to a mix of bullshit marketing and unrealistic expectations. A toxic soup if there ever was one.

Your 180 on this game is fascinating.

thumb

Banned
looking forward to the reddit analysis of ffxv :) ...

they reached for the sky, promised the moon, & then the game fell to earth. personally, i'd tempered my expectations, managed to get the game for $40, & am currently continuing to enjoy it for what it is - not quite the experience described, but nuts enough to still be enjoyable...

not the first game to over-promise & under-deliver, & not the last. it's just the way of things, folks. temper your expectations accordingly, & give mad props to those developers that actually deliver on their hype :) ...

This is about trying to pressure developers and their marketing people to under promise and over deliver, rather than the reverse. It's not about insinuating that no one is having fun with the game as-is.

It's possible to have a more honest industry than we do now, even if marginally. But it won't happen if we're complacent when we are deceived.

Why is Todd Howard always in this picture? I was pretty disappointed with Fallout 4, but I can't recall him ever explicitly lying or misleading people about things.

It's basically a dumb meme that was never based on anything. Crowbcat made a video a while back associating him with Sweet Little Lies except basically none of the examples of "lies" in the video are even lies.

"Do you see that mountain in the distance. You can go there."

Yeah, and he wasn't wrong about that. I've climbed all over Skyrim's mountains.

qcf x2

That's a shame.

I still wanna give NMS a go cause it looks so beautiful, and it seems like it's worth experiencing at least once. But, maybe this shouldn't have been released as a 60 dollar game.

Hopefully Hello Game's next project will be more successfully realized.

The game is still an impressive and immersive experience, IMO easily worth the $60 I paid. With that said, the fact they shipped a significantly pared down version of what was shown all along is a massive disappointment and I do believe it's totally fine to call people out on outright misinformation, false advertising, etc. Turning that into a relentless attack on one guy though, that's not at all cool.

jax

Banned

Destiny succeeded because it had a strong mechanical foundation that felt fun to play from day one. This has a very basic gameplay loop in comparison and I feel like the chance of people sticking around for it long-term like Destiny is far slimmer.
But No Mans Sky doesn't cost $17 a month to play. So you're wrong, it will be more of a long term game.

SomTervo

Guys the patch is gonna bring all these features, you'll see!

Wanted to bring some Chapter 3-esque optimism/denial to things

The devs already added features and improvements. This isn't a super complex, over budget, politically wrought game like MGSV. They can genuinely build on this, just like Mojang did with minecraft.

test_account

XP-39C²
So i guess the takeaway here is to never talk about your game more in detail like some months before the release. If you plan on bringing something in the game, or if it was even included at one point, but was removed due to fair and/or technical reasons, the backlash can be huge.

Out of that list, how many things do you think would make the overall experience much different? I will probably never play the game (not because of any of this, but simply because i dont have too much interest in it), so i'm just wondering.

And is there a list in comparison that shows everything that made it into the game? (i would guess not because its usually more focus on the negative stuff, but i'm still wondering).

a lot of people seem to be dismissing the misrepresentation as "well you wouldnt want that"

these are beyond preference changes for an audience, they are advertised features

Tagyhag

The defense force is all out of arguments huh.

Let me welcome you, to the mind of overzealous fans.

Man, just imagine, all those people who have no idea what to do and can't see other people. They must be miserable!
Microsoft victories are so few and far between these days. He's just out of practice, I'd think.

It's okay to be taken advantage of, as long as you still have fun or your favorite company gets a victory out of it.

It's kinda sad that rotating planet physics weren't included, especially since I was enjoying it in Elite 20+ years ago, a game on one floppy disk.

You know, I wonder if people would accept other people being as harsh and mean as they themselves are right now if they were in the situation Hello Games was in right now. I get that there are features missing that were "promised" or whatever, but some of the hateful things being slung at these people's heads... Do you guys think that this game was a get-rich-quick scheme for them or something? Criticize the game, but at least be courteous about it.

Things like that itemized list are why developers don't want to talk (nor should talk) about their games when they're in development. Think about that the next time you ask, "Why aren't developers more open to discuss things and their processes?"

I genuinely hope that's a lesson they've learned for the next one, seeing as that was probably their biggest mistake. It's fun to talk about your still-in-development game that you're super proud and excited about, but evidently you can't expect and understanding demeanor from your audience when the realities of development set in.

Wasnt this quote bungie? from the destiny reveal? they said something along going over "there" the ended up being a dead end

No there's a quote from Todd saying that about the mountain beside Bleak Falls Barrow I believe. It's actually in the latest Crowbcat video which is a takedown on No Man's Sky.

Tagyhag

"Defense force" is such a worthless label to put on people enjoying a game

The missing features suck, but that doesn't mean that the game we got is bad. That's some narrow minded thinking

It's just as narrow minded as waving away all the criticism of both the game and the marketing behind it because a lot of people bought and are enjoying the game.

The two can coexist.

soultron

Banned
Things like that itemized list are why developers don't want to talk (nor should talk) about their games when they're in development. Think about that the next time you ask, "Why aren't developers more open to discuss things and their processes?"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
"Ship flying more like a ship than in the actual game" - ?

I'm guessing what is meant by that is the flight model isn't as realistic as expected - more towards the arcade side than sim side. The comment below it elaborates with "despite there being footage of somewhat-complex flight, flight in the game is relegated to almost-autopilot in atmospheres, and sluggish flying-through-pudding in space."

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
If we're not looking at this list point by point, then this just become yet another NMS general gripe thread.

It's funny how the internet (GAF included) crucified Hello Games for every single delay the title went through just to get the what was released out the door. Now they're being crucified for releasing it with the missing features. I shudder to think at the reaction if they had delayed it an additional year to get it at 100%. Yet because people wanted it sooner, to the point that delay announcements produced death threats, we are where we are today.

That's fair, but I can't say I was ever quite addicted to Destiny the same way I am with this game. I have cravings at work to keep playing, that hasn't happened with a game for me in quite a while.

Loudninja

So i guess the takeaway here is to never talk about your game more in detail like some months before the release. If you plan on bringing something in the game, or if it was even included at one point, but was removed due to fair and/or technical reasons, the backlash can be huge.

Out of that list, how many things do you think would make the overall experience much different? I will probably never play the game (not because of any of this, but simply because i dont have too much interest in it), so i'm just wondering.

And is there a list in comparison that shows everything that made it into the game? (i would guess not because its usually more focus on the negative stuff, but i'm still wondering).
People just posting what they experience no real list.

SomTervo

Remember how just asking "But what do you actually DO in No Man's Sky?" got so many people up in arms?

I've put 30+ hours into the game, and absolutely have reservations about it - but that statement remains complete bullshit. There's plenty to do. The real question is whether it's fun or meaningful.

RealMeat

Banned
I can understand features getting cut during development, but the lack of clarification once the game was close to release really bugs me. We still haven't got a straight answer to "can you see other players?".

Not really. Molyneux's modus operandi is promising things off-the-cuff that were never in the game. Murray and his team removed features that were in the game and shown to be working. That's a huge difference. Those features were probably not working to his satisfaction, either from a game design POV or stability. The main problem with Murray is his lack of clear communication. I don't think he was trying to play a shell game at all. But I know many in this thread will continue to think that.

jman2050

The lesson is not use unimplemented or removed features as part of the marketing of your game leading up to release. Trying to pull a fast one so you can squeeze out some extra sales from day one hype just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouths.

pompidu

It's funny how the internet (GAF included) crucified Hello Games for every single delay the title went through just to get the what was released out the door. Now they're being crucified for releasing it with the missing features. I shudder to think at the reaction if they had delayed it an additional year to get it at 100%. Yet because people wanted it sooner, to the point that delay announcements produced death threats, we are where we are today.

That's fair, but I can't say I was ever quite addicted to Destiny the same way I am with this game. I have cravings at work to keep playing, that hasn't happened with a game for me in quite a while.

Normally I would agree, but what Sean was playing (live demos) was not what we got.

The takeaway here is that if you say certain features are going to be in the game, you tell people before release when your plans change and you have to take those things out.

It's that easy. "Sorry, multiplayer didn't make it in. Maybe in a couple patches!" To this day he hasn't said a word about it.

Hey here's a famous apology that had to happen after a game released because its famous dev couldn't take five minutes to explain those reductions in features before it came out:

A message from Peter Molyneux.

There is something I have to say. And I have to say it because I love making games. When a game is in development, myself and the development teams I work with constantly encourage each other to think of the best features and the most ground-breaking design possible.

However, what happens is that we strive to include absolutely everything we've ever dreamt of and, in my enthusiasm, I talk about it to anyone who'll listen, mainly in press interviews. When I tell people about what we're planning, I'm telling the truth, and people, of course, expect to see all the features I've mentioned. And when some of the most ambitious ideas get altered, redesigned or even dropped, people rightly want to know what happened to them.

If I have mentioned any feature in the past which, for whatever reason, didn't make it as I described into Fable, I apologise. Every feature I have ever talked about WAS in development, but not all made it. Often the reason is that the feature did not make sense. For example, three years ago I talked about trees growing as time past. The team did code this but it took so much processor time (15%) that the feature was not worth leaving in. That 15 % was much better spent on effects and combat. So nothing I said was groundless hype, but people expecting specific features which couldn't be included were of course disappointed. If that's you, I apologise. All I can say is that Fable is the best game we could possibly make, and that people really seem to love it.

I have come to realise that I should not talk about features too early so I am considering not talking about games as early as I do. This will mean that the Lionhead games will not be known about as early as they are, but I think this is the more industry standard.

Our job as the Lionhead family of studios is to be as ambitious as we possibly can. But although we jump up and down in glee about the fabulous concepts and features we're working on, I will not mention them to the outside world until we've implemented and tested them, and they are a reality.

Thank you for reading.

Peter.

People are really invested, aren't they?

This post was well structured and though out, so that was nice. When I clicked on the link, I thought it was going to be some whiny list like we'd normally see with these kinds of posts. Props to the Reddit OP.

As for my opinion on the subject. I wasn't keeping up on the interviews and such past the original announcement, so I kinda didn't know what to expect until launch day while I was watching streams. That's what convinced me to buy the game. I liked what I saw, so I don't really have the same outrage a lot of you might. I understand you're reasoning for being upset, and if you bought the game hoping for something else, you kinda have the right to be upset.

There are a lot of misleading statements, at least from what I've been shown, and that's disappointing. The game was likely going to be something more than what we got, and in the future it might turn into that game. In fact, I believe that it will turn into that game at some point in the future. I don't know the reasoning behind them wanting to get the game out this year, but I'm sure most people would agree that it should have been delayed.

In my opinion, it's a good game. It's not without its flaws, but that doesn't stop me from having a good time with it. I'm excited for the updates, because I believe this game could be something kinda special.

That's the weird thing though, they made sure not to talk about certain things before they were actually in the game. One example is NPCs. They said there were none then when they were complete they announced them. Going from that, people believed the things they talked about and showed multiple times were a given to be in the game.

Purkake4

Banned
I think it's a question of communication, trust and sincerity. If you look at something like Factorio for example, the few developers they have post an update every Friday. These updates are very frank and give you an overview of what they've done and what they're planning. If they have some problems with a feature they explain it and say that it got pushed to the next update or whatever.

From what I've seen everyone has been very happy to have an open discussion. This is very different from doing interviews and stating x, y and z as facts with no caveats or anything.

The developer of Rimworld even kept a public day-to-day changelog on google docs for anyone to see and it was also great for seeing progress on the game. Unfortunately he doesn't have time to update it anymore.

Hektor

"Defense force" is such a worthless label to put on people enjoying a game

The missing features suck, but that doesn't mean that the game we got is bad. That's some narrow minded thinking

Defense force is not a label for people that enjoy the game.

It's used to describe overly zealous fans that can't handle criticism of their shiny new toy.

joecanada

Honestly I feel marketing hype in video games is only eclipsed by health and supplements products these days ... Don't buy any hype just wait. I haven't bought a new game since ...... Destiny LE and yep ragrets lol . Was bought just to play with friends though so was ok

Sadly this game was over hyped but I pretty much expect it now

It's okay to be taken advantage of, as long as you still have fun or your favorite company gets a victory out of it.
You got some loose standards of being taken advantage of I guess

People acting like Hello Games showed up at their door and mugged them while leaving them with a blank disc

Veelk

Banned
So I have a question

is there some kind of hack or cheat that would just fill up my inventory with every kind of resource?

I've only been following this game since release (It just didn't look that interesting to me from all the press) and I'm fairly bored, so I'd be up for just actually exploring and looking up story bits. But I am NOT going to spend hours of my life shooting rocks to collect minerals.

If there is a way to cut out the busy work of the game and just explore the environments, I might be up for that. Is there anything like that available?

Top Bottom