• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Moderators Deny Microsoft Astroturfing

tensuke

Had a ps3 and sold it. I can't see one reason to buy ps4.

Killzone- looks terrible, boring and who wants this?
Infamous?.a game no one liked or bought, why?
Knack, funny.
Drive- was this a vita game before? Forza looks next gen completely, drive looks terrible.

I don't see why anyone wants a ps4 now, waste of money.

Titan on one makes all these games irrelevant

lol

Tellaerin

You really gotta ask yourself is it even worth Microsoft's time to send employees to dick around and post positive comments in obscure online forums ?

Even in the unlikely chance that they do this what is the point there cant be any real impact to come from this.

How many times have you heard people here say, "I don't bother with reviews on the big sites anymore. I just see what people are saying on NeoGAF"? Think about that for a minute and it should become clear why companies have turned to large-scale shilling and astroturfing to push their products. (And I don't think that NeoGAF or Reddit would be considered "obscure online forums", either.)

Why would anyone but a shill have anything positive to say about Microsoft or Xbone?

Games ARE coming. That's why we buy systems, right?

Regarding the Xbone policies, some people just don't care. That neutrality can be misconstrued as positivity in an overwhelming sea of negativity.

Your attitude is the wrong one to take.

What? No, I was totally going to put astroturf all throughout my apartment anyway. I mean just because I've read the word "astroturf" over and over every day, doesn't mean that it had any influence on my desire to wallpaper my apartment in green plastic.

...oh dear, I've made a huge mistake.

I actually did laugh out loud. Fortunately I was neither eating nor drinking.

I actually resent the idea that GAF is over-reacting. I don't think we're reacting enough, to be honest. Consumer rights should get us fucking crazy mad.

I mean of COURSE some of us will end up buying the console. Jesus. Everybody realises that. But when that happens, and how focussed individuals are on buying games for it really matters too. A lot of people bought PS3s five years into this generation, while a lot of people were buying second Xbox 360s (i mean real re-purchases, not RRODs).

I want ALL game consoles to succeed. To have great titles. To be compelling.
I want Microsoft to spend on great videogame production.
I want Microsoft to support great small + indie games.
I want Microsoft to use their network tech to implement new game ideas.
I want to eventually own all videogame consoles, including an Xbox One.

... but before that happens?

I want them to feel the full force of consumer outrage and be forced to make their product better, to let me own what I buy and control how I use it.

That's why I'm "over-reacting."

Right, a paid advertiser will go to Team Xbox. Just think about that for a second.

The paranoia is really stepping up a notch.

Yeah, Team Xbox probably isn't the place to worry about.

---

In the end, astroturfing is super easy to do and super difficult to catch, so it's almost certainly happening to some extent here, Reddit, and wherever else, irregardless of that reddit post that triggered this being bullshit or not. We just have to not lose our heads going on a crazy witchhunt on ourselves. It's fine to think someone's a shill, but leave calling them out and exposing them to the mods (unless you somehow have definitive proof I suppose).

One thing we have to remember about astroturfing also is that it doesn't necessarily involve a small team of people making lots and lots of individual comments. It can also involve simply paying a huge stack of people (such as minor celebrities) to each make 1-2 positive statements, using that volume to help drown out the negative sentiment.

Of course, then you've got people like this guy, who randomly started replying to me on Twitter after I made a few tweets about the console impacting on consumer privacy. They don't follow me, so presumably they saw it from a retweet, or more likely from having been scanning the hashtag. After a bit of back and forth, they basically just started repeating marketing bullet points. Wasn't sure they were a shill at first, but then they said "selling is allowed but at specific retailers and with new set of rules that help developers as well as gamers." Now I just want to know how much they're getting paid to do this.

EDIT: That discussion goes on quite a way beyond the list of replies that 2nd link goes to. Some of his replies broke the comment chain. If you want to read the lot, you'll have to go through the 1st tweet and check his profile. Don't expect them to be there for long enough, now that I've called him out to his face. Made sure to save a copy of it all before I did that though. ;)

Walshicus

At the end of the day you just have to focus on the content of people's posts, rather than obsessing at the poster's background. Macarthyism is a bad road to go down. Plus, it's too easy to get into a loop of second guessing.

If I were a bastard marketing exec, I'd start obviously astroturfing a rival to provoke a backlash. How do you guard against that??

The only thing you can do is focus on the content of posts.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I want ALL game consoles to succeed. To have great titles. To be compelling.
I want Microsoft to spend on great videogame production.
I want Microsoft to support great small + indie games.
I want Microsoft to use their network tech to implement new game ideas.
I want to eventually own all videogame consoles, including an Xbox One.

None of this will happen. Sony did it because they had to in order to survive. MS does not and will not.

I surprised so many swallowed the Reddit thing without questioning it first. It seemed unlikely even as he was laying out the backstory.

I agree this stuff probably happens, but not how this guy described it. Come on, seriously.

kick51

Banned
I surprised so many swallowed the Reddit thing without questioning it first. It seemed unlikely even as he was laying out the backstory.

I agree this stuff probably happens, but not how this guy described it. Come on, seriously.

said it a million times, that is a certified grade A reddit troll post. People always pose as experts on reddit. It's a very common way to troll the site and has been for years.

The truth is, without some dumb registration email like viralmarketer@microsoft.com or other kinds of tracking admins can do, I imagine the good/real viral marketers will go undiscovered. The people with reddit accounts who eventually lash out like "fuck u im no viral i just like the xbone u fukcing idiot" are not viral marketers. People like this are a dime a dozen on /r/gaming. And when a popular game comes out, the whole damn /r/gaming subreddit gets taken over like the publisher bought everyone off but you. Not to mention trolling the classic way just by going against popular opinion. When people seem "passionate" about something like DRM, it brings out plenty of trolls.

It's very difficult to tell what's real and what isn't on reddit. A zero day account could mean troll, it could also mean someone protecting their identity. They could verify their story through a mod, but reddit mods fuck things up and cause scandals all the time. You don't even need an email address to start posting.

basically all the inferring about virals is no more than guessing. Are they there? Yes. Is everyone who talks positive about xbone a viral? No. Can you say for sure who is and who isn't? No.

Safe Bet

Banned
On a basic level, I view it as such.

Steam offers a viable incentive. Gamers are happy to trade the right to resell for the benefits of the service, such as cheaper games via sales.

This is something that happens in other places all the time. When made redundant, I was offered a significant figure in exchange for my right to fight the redundancy. I could take the money, and wave my rights, or keep my rights and have no benefit.

Microsoft is currently offering nothing in exchange for removal of this right. There is no benefit, nothing is being traded. It is simply being taken.

Thus the difference between them is people will give up whats important if offered a good enough reason too. Steam offers that. XBO does not.
there is also the issue of trust

i trust valve

i know no matter what (within reason) my games, purchased from valve, will be playable for the foreseeable future

i do not trust microsoft the same in this regard

in fact i could not distrust them more in this regard

i.e.

i still cannot easily access the animatrix which i purchased on/from og live

explodet

After a bit of back and forth, they basically just started repeating marketing bullet points. Wasn't sure they were a shill at first, but then they said "selling is allowed but at specific retailers and with new set of rules that help developers as well as gamers." Now I just want to know how much they're getting paid to do this.
I hate this. If you're going to be a shill, at least put some pride in your work. Just copypasting bullet points is so gauche.

bootski

said it a million times, that is a certified grade A reddit troll post. People always pose as experts on reddit. It's a very common way to troll the site and has been for years.

The truth is, without some dumb registration email like viralmarketer@microsoft.com or other kinds of tracking admins can do, I imagine the good/real viral marketers will go undiscovered. The people with reddit accounts who eventually lash out like "fuck u im no viral i just like the xbone u fukcing idiot" are not viral marketers. People like this are a dime a dozen on /r/gaming. And when a popular game comes out, the whole damn /r/gaming subreddit gets taken over like the publisher bought everyone off but you. Not to mention trolling the classic way just by going against popular opinion. When people seem "passionate" about something like DRM, it brings out plenty of trolls.

It's very difficult to tell what's real and what isn't on reddit. A zero day account could mean troll, it could also mean someone protecting their identity. They could verify their story through a mod, but reddit mods fuck things up and cause scandals all the time. You don't even need an email address to start posting.

basically all the inferring about virals is no more than guessing. Are they there? Yes. Is everyone who talks positive about xbone a viral? No. Can you say for sure who is and who isn't? No.

i'll also add reddit is only pretty much good for looking at funny pictures of things or little cute pet causes. there's some discussion to be had but trying to get any substantiated fact out of there is ridiculous.

e.g. i got linked to a reddit thread by an old colleague just after the Boston bombings. They doxed (names, facebooks, addresses, etc) and accused no less than 8 people in the time i was watching those threads until the mods stepped up and stopped that practice. and i'm talking going through pictures and circling peoples faces (usually some arabs/brown people) and finding out as much as possible with the "proof" that they were looking the wrong way during the race and nonsense like this. they would draw (in mspaint) pressure cookers over backpacks to show that the accused could have been carrying a bomb. at one point they were even providing "proof" that the bomber was a missing teen who, it turned out later, was fucking DEAD at the time. and at no point did they get it correct.

however, much like this case, when an accusation was made, everybody was on board right away and the accusation was supported as pure unadulterated fact.

full disclosure: i did make a reddit account to post pictures of my buddy making tiny tiny origami, which i still haven't got around to posting. ;)

Top Bottom