• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Give them a rewatch they really hold up

not really agreeing with Mike here. first of all he thinks the movie is some cheap studio cash in on BTTF. it wasn't, it was written by the two guys who came up with the idea. he keeps running with this misinformed take this whole thing was a cash grab, when it was a passion project from two young screenwriter friends who wanted to make a classic style b movie adventure.

Mike says the princesses were a forced studio romance. "A case of the notgays". why does he think that? the two guys who wrote it were making a movie about dopey teen boys who went on classic fantasy adventures through time. seems weird to me to think they should avoid that classic fantasy trope of a princess when the whole movie is about time travelling power fantasies. the guy gets the girl in the classic stories this movie is about.

Last edited:
Mike says the princesses were a forced studio romance. "A case of the notgays". why does he think that? the two guys who wrote it were making a movie about dopey teen boys who went on classic fantasy adventures through time. seems weird to me to think they should avoid that classic fantasy trope of a princess when the whole movie is about time travelling power fantasies. the guy gets the girl in the classic stories this movie is about.

Yeah he was really locked in on that but the characters and actions in the movie never come across as such where one would need to create princess characters so the audience wouldn't think they're gay (And as mentioned in the review, the "fag" joke alone would alleviate that). Not to mention all the Missy stuff. It seemed just more classic adventure formula where the hero(es) gets the girl(s) in the end.

I was happy they took the time to point out the "I fell out of my suit when I hit the floor!" line/joke. It's just so stupid and impossible yet perfect.

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

Give them a rewatch they really hold up

not really agreeing with Mike here. first of all he thinks the movie is some cheap studio cash in on BTTF. it wasn't, it was written by the two guys who came up with the idea. he keeps running with this misinformed take this whole thing was a cash grab, when it was a passion project from two young screenwriter friends who wanted to make a classic style b movie adventure.

Mike points out that it was already in production before BTTF came out, then says they changed the time machine from a van to a phone booth to distinguish it from BTTF. They even talk about the two writers and the origin of the characters. It didn’t seem like he was calling it a cash grab.

Agree with your second paragraph though.

Lanrutcon

I didn't get the "cashgrab" impression either.

Rewatched both movies after watching RLM's review. The second movie is still great. The first...a little meh.

Bill & Ted Face the Music HiTB

Was hoping for a Bill & Ted / New Mutants double bill so they can rightfully shit on New Mutants, but I guess we'll get that later...

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Face the music sounds like a bummer and mostly because of Keanu. Haven't seen Bogus Journey in a long time but my last viewing of Excellent Adventure was fairly recent and I wished I"d left that in the nostalgia banks.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Did they become a little bit more silent lately?
As they said themselves, they’ve mostly run out of content for Half in the Bag due to COVID.

I don’t know if I agree with them. Hopefully we get a HITB for the new Halloween Adam Sandler movie on Netflix. I love the HITB that cover the nightmare releases by Happy Madison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blond

Banned
As they said themselves, they’ve mostly run out of content for Half in the Bag due to COVID.

I don’t know if I agree with them. Hopefully we get a HITB for the new Halloween Adam Sandler movie on Netflix. I love the HITB that cover the nightmare releases by Happy Madison.

Granted movie theaters are opening again I still had to travel 40 miles to see Tenet so me and my buddies turned it into a group outing so I wouldn't be shocked if this was true. And let's be honest, there's not a single real movie that's been released on Netflix/Hulu originals that are worth their time

That would be amazing.

And I am saying this as someone who has a soft spot for most Sandler movies.
But I equally love seeing them getting ripped a new butthole in reviews..

Last edited:
They should bring back playing games with Jack and Rich.
Jack is on The Escapist now, talking videogames with Yahtzee on a regular basis.
Their most recent video was a discussion about separating art from the artist

But I think Rich is done with dealing with annoying RLM diehards asking him the same questions lol

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The analysis of the editing of Borat was good.
I thought so as well. It's quite clear they tried to manufacture a narrative that just didn't happen with Rudy. Kind of gross really.
I didn't enjoy Bly manor as much as they did. In fact, I was bored most of the time. My expectations were perhaps skewed to high because of the first season which I really enjoyed.

dr_octagon

Banned
the star trek next gen videos are ace, suits their format and their discussions are well done - I'm not surprised non fans enjoy the videos

Senua

I'm honestly so surprised they (especially Jay) didn't mention The Innocents when talking about Turn of the Screw adaptations, it's easily the best one and an absolute horror classic. It's so damn creepy

lf

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055018/

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That was kinda boring? Way too long episode for as little as is happening in this movie.
I think it's funnier to them internally
Yeah, the movie they are talking about is just plain bad. Not in a fun way either. It's just boring as hell from the looks of it. So I think they didn't have a lot to work with.

Top Bottom