• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Refresh my memory: What're the best versions of Earthworm Jim?

Genesis both times due to resolution

More than just resolution. The genesis version has one additional level, better music and far more sound effects and voice samples than the SNES game. Earthworm Jim Special Edition on the Sega CD is a lot like the Genesis game but with CD audio, even more voice samples, additional frames of animation, a few extended areas for pre-existing levels, one additional level, and a few new weapons.

The Windows 95 PC port is based on the Sega CD version of the game but with a much larger boost in colours. I would honestly rank this one to be about is good as the Sega CD port.

The SNES version is probably the worst version of the game outside of the GBA port and 8-bit versions as it has so much cut content.

The 2010 remaster is OK... but the artwork does suffer from a lot of badly redrawn sprites and a lot of little details seem absent from the original 16 bit game because of the badly redrawn artwork. The port was done by Gameloft and it shows. Though what I find interesting is that the mobile iOS and Android ports are handled a little better than the XBLA and PSN versions of the game. Some of the background art still has this weird smudged look to it but the sprites aren't nearly as offensive as the other remaster.Though the mobile version of the game does not have the Sega CD bonus content. Another problem that I did have with the remaster were the new recorded voice samples for Jim, which sound terrible in comparison to the original.

PC Version of 1 and 2 are the only versions you should play.

It goes: PC > Sega CD > Genesis > EWJ HD > SNES> GBA

added one more. The GBA port is bottom the the barrel bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWRB6L3-2Iw

The GBA version is like the SNES game with an even lower resolution and washed out colors.

It was much mush worse than just some washed out colour and lower resolution. Both GBA ports of EWJ 1 and 2 were broken beyond belief. The games ran anywhere from 5-10FPS, the collision is completely broken , the games are buggy as fuck. They are pretty much equal to the infamous Sonic the Hedgehog 1 port on the GBA in quality control. Both EWJ 1 and 2 are absolute disasters on the GBA, stay away from them unless you have some fetishish for collecting really bad ports of games. I would rank the Game Boy and Gear Gear ports of EWJ1 higher than GBA port because they fell like functional games.

So how about Earthworm Jim 2? Would you say that the DOS version is the best version of that, too? I know that one gets a little confusing, because there's some dramatic differences with the PS1 and Saturn versions...

16 bit ports SNES and The Genesis/ Mega Drive: I would have to give the slight edge to the SNES version of EWJ 2, overall it does look better with a higher colour palette and the audio sounds better too for the most part. Not like the Genesis/ Mega Driver version is bad, it does still have more screen real estate due to being displayed at a higher resolution which does make the bonus stages a little easier as well as the isometric shooter stage as you can anticipate more that is ahead of you. The SNES game does feature more background layers in some levels along with transparency effects, while the Genesis game uses some software CPU effects not present in the SNES version (The cave salamander level has a warping effect present in the Genesis game that is not present in the SNES version, for example) . I do think the audio sounds better in the SNES game this time around, with voice samples sounding a little cleaner, though there are still a few exceptions where the odd music track will sound punchier on the Genesis. You can't go wrong with either port as they still both play and look great on their respective platforms. But the SNES version has a bit of an edge where I kind of do prefer it. But it is not a total wash as I can find a lot of things to like about the Genesis version.

32bit ports Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation: Neither of these versions have any additional levels over the original 16 bit games, nor do they have any additional content. But what they do feature are enhanced graphics over the 16 bit versions, with a lot of additional colours and completely redrawn background scenery in many levels. They also feature CD soundtracks a lot of additional sound and voice clips. Both the PS1 and Sega Saturn ports are identical to each other though the Saturn game does have a few additional layers of background parallax, slightly faster loading times and may have a few additional sound samples not seen in the PS1 port. I have to say that the Saturn port is the better of these two. But the PS1 port is still fine.

PC port (whole can of Worms): This one is mostly based on the Genesis version of the game as evident by the background art in the first level. This port does feature higher colour graphics and some new redrawn backgrounds. It also has the CD audio soundtrack of the PS1/ Saturn version of the game as well as some additional voice and audio samples from those versions as well. The one real downside to this port is that it is missing the Lorenzo's Soil level from all the other versions of the game. Not really one of the best ports of EWJ2.

GBA Port: Complete trash. Worst version of the game.

My ranking: Saturn>PS1>SNES>Mega Drive/ Genesis> DOS>>>>>>>>>>GBA

dh4niel

From what I've played myself and heard, I think the Genesis/Mega Drive versions are the best. I had no idea until now that the SNES version had a nerfed resolution. That's the version I grew up with.

SpotAnime

The Whole Can O' Worms edition is available on GOG, and user ebryan42 posted a nice rundown of the differences in the versions:

Alright. I love Earthworm Jim. The games, the cartoon, and the toys. Heck, I made an unpublished FAQ detailing the differences between the main versions of the games. There's some new graphical effects and redrawn graphics. Also, you get the cd music which is great. But the versions are far from perfect.

Here's the lowdown of the versions of the two games in this compilation.

Earthworm Jim. Okay, this is seriously a weird hybrid of many versions. You get the Super Nintendo backgrounds, you get the cd music, you get great redrawn graphics and effects. The control is terrible with horrible collision detection (on only this version of EWJ1). The boss second half of the boss battle with the cyborg chicken is missing. You don't get the level Intestinal Distress from the Genesis/Sega CD/Win95 versions. You don't get the level Big Bruty, extra parts of levels, extra secrets, the extra weapon and new animations/graphics from the Sega CD/Win95 version. Of all the versions of this game (besides the portable versions), this is by far the worst. Missing content (that's all available in the Win95 version of the game, which came out before this one), and horrible gameplay. Get the SegaCD/Win95 version, called Special Edition.

Earthworm Jim 2. The terrible control and collision detection of EWJ1 doesn't exist in EWJ2. The controls are on par with the Genesis/SNES versions, and better than the PSX/Saturn versions. You get the CD music from the PSX/Saturn versions. You get the Genesis backgrounds. So, overall, you could say it's a great port. EXCEPT, it's missing the second level, Lorenzen's (Lorenzo on some versions) Soil for no reason. So close. I'd recommend the SNES version, which overall is the best version of EWJ2.
So yeah, if you want cheap EWJ, this is decent. EWJ1 is somewhat playable. And besides the missing level in EWJ2, it's a contender for one of the best versions of the game.

So much potential with this one. But questionable flaws like the missing level in EWJ2, missing boss battle in EWJ1, the missing content from EWJ Special Edition, and control/collision detection issues in EWJ1 (but oddly, not in EWJ2) makes you wonder what the heck they were thinking.

Again, I recommend the SegaCD/Win95 version of EWJ1, and the SNES version of EWJ2. I'm giving the game a 3/5 mainly because these games are outstanding, and should be enjoyed by almost any way possible, but you can do better.

Pretty much what everyone is saying here, but a nice rundown of the different versions. Also, EWJ1+2 is on sale at GOG for $3.99 right now. ;)

And apparently the GOG version also includes a video catalog of the toys and the TV intro as secret extras.

The Whole Can O' Worms edition is available on GOG, and user ebryan42 posted a nice rundown of the differences in the versions:

Pretty much what everyone is saying here, but a nice rundown of the different versions. Also, EWJ1+2 is on sale at GOG for $3.99 right now. ;)

And apparently the GOG version also includes a video catalog of the toys and the TV intro as secret extras.

I have to wonder what is wrong with the controls in the 32bit versions of Earthworm Jim 2? While I have never played the Playstation 1 version of EWJ2, the Saturn port always felt fine to me and comparable to the 16bit home ports of the game.

anything except DSiWare

what the fuck even was that

jzmsj9i.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhH83NK5GxI

Nevah foghat.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Maybe so they could recycle sprites from Rondo of Blood and Castlevania IV.
Holy shit, it seems so obvious now that you say it but...you might actually be right on the money. Nice.

Excellent youtube channel for stuff like this:

Let's Compare Earthworm Jim
Heh, you have no idea how much I want to do retro comparisons for DF. Unfortunately, unless I can prove that a real audience is there, it's not really happening. :(

I have to wonder what is wrong with the controls in the 32bit versions of Earthworm Jim 2? While I have never played the Playstation 1 version of EWJ2, the Saturn port always felt fine to me and comparable to the 16bit home ports of the game.
I think it plays fine but...I dislike the CGI elements that were added. The backgrounds and some of the sprites were re-made using 3D models (as was all the rage back then) and they look worse than the hand drawn originals.

The DOS version is easily the best looking version of EWJ2.

Holy shit, it seems so obvious now that you say it but...you might actually be right on the money. Nice.

Heh, you have no idea how much I want to do retro comparisons for DF. Unfortunately, unless I can prove that a real audience is there, it's not really happening. :(

I think it plays fine but...I dislike the CGI elements that were added. The backgrounds and some of the sprites were re-made using 3D models (as was all the rage back then) and they look worse than the hand drawn originals.

The DOS version is easily the best looking version of EWJ2.

I don;t remember any of the character sprites being remade in CG for the Saturn game, from what I can remember it uses all of the same sprites as the Genesis/ SNES game but had a lot of additional colour and detail added to them. But the original 16bit games did already use CG sprites in some occasions, like the isometric flying king level and some of the sprites inn the later levels as well. The biggest change in the Saturn port, aside from the additional colours were all of the new background layers and parallax.

But I do agree that not every art change in the Saturn/ PS1 was for the better. Some of the backgrounds looked busier in the redrawn art and in some cases a little gaudy. Like these background changes here:

While the original 16bit games looked much better:
Genesis
7iesaFZ.png

SNES
lb1VOCq.png

Windows:
26e355a44fdf0077e0d5bb61ac697e05f0dcc8a3a52ed64baa7ca0a5be3c0fc9_product_card_screenshot_600_2x.jpg

The Windows version looks like a higher colour port of the Genesis game (which it is) as it seems to pull all of its art assets from that version of the game, but it does look nice. Though for me, personally, I do prefer the look of the SNES version in some ways. But I do also like some of the background changes in the Saturn version as well (just not all of them). Like the giant statue of liberty cow in one of the later stages.

Zubz

Banned
Wait, I always thought the SNES version of EWJ2 was superior to the Genesis? It looked just as good, the music was a hell of a lot better, it controlled better, and you could use the Manta in the SNES version.

Because EWJ is the one game I've quadruple-dipped on, I can safely say that the best versions, in order, are Win95/SEGA CD > Genesis > HD > SNES > DSiWare > Game Boy/Gear > GBA, although the 2nd PC version's new to me. You not only lose levels as you go down this list (I think the GBA might've had Intestinal Distress, though), but the game looks/controls worse the further you delve, as well.

petran79

Banned
i'd have picked the w95 version for one single reason: 120+ hz on CRT monitors, as opposed to DOS 60 hz limit.

Wait, I always thought the SNES version of EWJ2 was superior to the Genesis? It looked just as good, the music was a hell of a lot better, it controlled better, and you could use the Manta in the SNES version.

The Genesis version of EWJ2 has the Mantra shield too. I think the Genesis game controls every bit as well as the SNES version (it may even be a bit more responsive) but the only downside to the controls is that you can't cycle through weapons. Not even with the 6 button pad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
i'd have picked the w95 version for one single reason: 120+ hz on CRT monitors, as opposed to DOS 60 hz limit.
Hmm, that's interesting - I suppose it must support varying refresh rates as I always ran my monitor at 75hz back in the day and it worked fine.

kodecraft

Speaking of this OP, we need a true successor to the first one.

The only game that comes close to a modern EWJ is Twisted Pixel's Comic Jumper.

Let Twisted Pixel do a new Sonic and Earthworm Jim.

Justinh

Phil Spencer should wear an Earthworm Jim Tshirt solely to mess with people at E3.
Sega CD's EWJ has some high prices on Amazon LOL.
Damn dat GAF speculation!
Pretty sure the SegaCD/Saturn copies of 1 and 2 complete have been a little pricey for a while now. I was thinking about trying to get the Sega CD copy a couple years back, but then I realized I want nothing to do with the Sega CD right now. Even though I do want to try out Night Trap again. I haven't played it since a sleepover back in the 90s.

There have been at least two different attempts in the past to revive Earthworm Jim. The first one was a remake of the original game for the PSP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsSBEXTinM

This one was in development roughly around 2004-2005. Some of the original team was part of the project including Dave Perry, Nick Bruty, Douglas TenNapel and Tommy Tallarico was back to do the music. The game was apparently around 80% complete, but was put on hold in 2006 and was quietly cancelled in 2007.

Then there was a second attempt at a reboot that was announced by Douglas TenNapel on his web forum, this time he would completely redesign the characters and he did post some images of what his new version of Jim would look like on his personal web forum (though, I can no longer find those images) . But this version was squashed for various reasons. One of the biggest ones being the rights to Earthworm Jim being spewn across different parties. Playmates had the merchandising rights, while Atari had the rights for secondary consoles and mobile releases. I forgot who owned the rights for the console versions. But this was sorted out for the Gameloft remake of the original game.

Then then there as a third attempt that was announced in 2012 (I think?), no idea what happened here. Yet again, it just went quiet.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

the GOG version is missing Lorenzo's Soil?!

I...I need to go see this for myself. That's literally the best level of EJ2.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I went ahead and bought The Whole Can O' Worms on GOG. Good timing for this thread, I guess, seeing as how it's currently like $4.

Yeah, dark10x was right about this being a good port. I set up the controls with joy2key, and haven't had any issues, so I have no idea what that one dude was on about. But yeah, this version of the game does look really good, and the sound quality is... shockingly good. Maybe because it's the first time I've played the game on real speakers, but the music is incredibly clean.

Oh, and the game itself? I only played up through a little bit of What the Heck?, but it's still really good. While western devs were pretty much garbage tier during the 16-bit era, this is one of the rare exceptions. This shit's so much fun. And it is kinda nice to have a game with the same layouts as the original versions. I will admit that, while the Win95 version did have new areas, some of them felt a bit unnecessary.

Zubz

Banned
There have been at least two different attempts in the past to revive Earthworm Jim. The first one was a remake of the original game for the PSP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsSBEXTinM

This one was in development roughly around 2004-2005. Some of the original team was part of the project including Dave Perry, Nick Bruty, Douglas TenNapel and Tommy Tallarico was back to do the music. The game was apparently around 80% complete, but was put on hold in 2006 and was quietly cancelled in 2007.

Then there was a second attempt at a reboot that was announced by Douglas TenNapel on his web forum, this time he would completely redesign the characters and he did post some images of what his new version of Jim would look like on his personal web forum (though, I can no longer find those images) . But this version was squashed for various reasons. One of the biggest ones being the rights to Earthworm Jim being spewn across different parties. Playmates had the merchandising rights, while Atari had the rights for secondary consoles and mobile releases. I forgot who owned the rights for the console versions. But this was sorted out for the Gameloft remake of the original game.

Then then there as a third attempt that was announced in 2012 (I think?), no idea what happened here. Yet again, it just went quiet.

I think Playmates has claimed they were working on a revival several times, but they've done the same thing with Clay Fighter and Boogerman; I think they just want to sound relevant. If they could get a revival going with some steam behind it, that'd be pretty nice, honestly.

Danny Dudekisser

I think Playmates has claimed they were working on a revival several times, but they've done the same thing with Clay Fighter and Boogerman; I think they just want to sound relevant. If they could get a revival going with some steam behind it, that'd be pretty nice, honestly.

I don't know if I'd want to see a revival. It's an extremely '90s thing, and I don't think it could be made properly outside of that context.

I mean... Earthworm Jim HD thought it'd be hi-larious to put Keyboard Cat in the game.

Oh yeah, Clay Ffighter has been rumored a couple times. There was also a kickstarter for a Boogerman revival back in 2013, but this one failed to even come close to its fundraising goal. The campaign also had Earthworm Jim as a stretch goal.

I went ahead and bought The Whole Can O' Worms on GOG. Good timing for this thread, I guess, seeing as how it's currently like $4.

Yeah, dark10x was right about this being a good port. I set up the controls with joy2key, and haven't had any issues, so I have no idea what that one dude was on about. But yeah, this version of the game does look really good, and the sound quality is... shockingly good. Maybe because it's the first time I've played the game on real speakers, but the music is incredibly clean.

Oh, and the game itself? I only played up through a little bit of What the Heck?, but it's still really good. While western devs were pretty much garbage tier during the 16-bit era, this is one of the rare exceptions. This shit's so much fun. And it is kinda nice to have a game with the same layouts as the original versions. I will admit that, while the Win95 version did have new areas, some of them felt a bit unnecessary.

I swear this thread is stealth marketing for GOG. Because I just went and purchased The Whole Cam O Worms collection right now too. I used to see boxed copies of this collection as well as the stand alone DOS port of the original EWJ in computer stores all the time, but it was a collection that I never purchased because I owned The Genesis/ Sega CD and SNES versions of the game back in the day and I just never saw the point of owning additional copies for DOS/ Windows 95. But this thread has got me curious in them.

Zubz

Banned
I don't know if I'd want to see a revival. It's an extremely '90s thing, and I don't think it could be made properly outside of that context.

I mean... Earthworm Jim HD thought it'd be hi-larious to put Keyboard Cat in the game.

True, but at the same time, I love extremely 90's things, and I feel like that was Gameloft's decision to add a then-dated meme to a remake of a 90's game, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad?

Oh yeah, Clay Ffighter has been rumored a couple times. There was also a kickstarter for a Boogerman revival back in 2013, but this one failed to even come close to its fundraising goal. The campaign also had Earthworm Jim as a stretch goal.

Oh wow, I remember almost backing that. I remember there was a lot of back-and-forth on whether or not they could use Earthworm Jim, but it did so poorly that I guess it didn't matter. Still, I guess it goes to show that nobody's quite sure who owns the rights to EWJ these days.

Sorry for the bump but I want to confirm that I've found a way to run Windows 95 Earthworm Jim and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, with sounds effects and music, on Windows 10.

If you copy the contents of your CD version to any given directory (I used EWJ on the root C drive), then go into the assets folder and place in it the files contained in this RAR archive:

Click here to download

It's two dlls, "DISPDIB.DLL" and "wail32.dll". Copy them into "Assets", replace the old version of wail32.

Right click on Worm.exe, enter Properties and set compatability for Windows 95. Then launch the game (you'll need the disc still), and you should be able to set CD music and SFX and the game won't crash.

You might get a "DISPDIB.DLL not found" error, but mine worked anyway. Hope this helps someone. :)

Danny Dudekisser

Sorry for the bump but I want to confirm that I've found a way to run Windows 95 Earthworm Jim and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, with sounds effects and music, on Windows 10.

If you copy the contents of your CD version to any given directory (I used EWJ on the root C drive), then go into the assets folder and place in it the files contained in this RAR archive:

Click here to download

It's two dlls, "DISPDIB.DLL" and "wail32.dll". Copy them into "Assets", replace the old version of wail32.

Right click on Worm.exe, enter Properties and set compatability for Windows 95. Then launch the game (you'll need the disc still), and you should be able to set CD music and SFX and the game won't crash.

You might get a "DISPDIB.DLL not found" error, but mine worked anyway. Hope this helps someone. :)

This is, indeed, helpful. I need to dig out my old, scratched up copy of the game.

Really wish GOG would get it so we could just have a Win95 release that works out of the box. Along with the other upgraded Win95 stuff Activision published, like Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure.

Danny Dudekisser

Y'know, it's cool when you play a game instead of just staring at it on your virtual shelf. I went ahead and played through the GOG version of the first EWJ game this morning. Even though it's been like 18 years since I've played it, it's still awesome. Really, really fun. And it's kinda funny to find that the same things that tripped me up when I was 8 are the same things that trip me up now. Everything seems to work fine in this version, though I did need to use Joy2Key to set up my gamepad. This is also a pretty stark reminder of why the 360 controller is an absolute hate crime against 2D games.

This is a good port. I dunno if it's necessarily as good as the Windows 95 version overall (mostly because of additional two levels in that release), but it's kinda cool to have the original level designs here rather than the tweaked ones from the Special Edition. Music sounds immaculate, the backgrounds look great -- I really can't complain. I think for people who are really into the game, it's worth having both this and the Win95 version.

Top Bottom