• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie speaks: "I want another [mature] Mario"

FnordChan

WarPig said:
See, my theory is that Reggie and Segata Sanshiro would beat the shit out of each other, make up, form a mighty crime-fighting team, and go beat the shit out of Kaz Hirai together. It would rock all ass.

sega-team-up-66.jpg

FnordChan

explodet

WarPig said:
Phil...Think of it...

REGGIE...SEGATA...JOHNNY TURBO...

THE TRIANGLE OF POWER
Are you forming a Legion of Doom along with this twisted Justice League?

I wouldn't mind a return to "Brooklyn Plumber" Mario, but the whole thing would have to be decidedly and firmly retro.

I've got no issues with Mario as he is now.

FnordChan

WarPig said:
REGGIE...SEGATA...JOHNNY TURBO...

Also known as The Invaders, Marvel's old WW2 Axis-blastin' superhero team. They are, indeed, a TRIANGLE OF POWER!

Of course, it's hard to top the old Johnny Turbo solo series:

jt3-1.jpg

Just imagine what the world would be like today had Stan Lee not ressurected ol' Johnny in issue 4 of The Avengers!

FnordChan

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ehh I tried to make a realistic assumption of what players would demand in order to make Mario mature. Lately it's all about the storyline and character image.

I wouldn't want Mario to have a storyline either, just enough is good for me.

Tabris

You're crazy!

Segata Sanshiro is defender of all that is good in the world! Can Reggie say the same thing? No, he can just kick some asses and take some names. Big deal!

Would Reggie jump on a missle, direct it towards space, thus sacrificing himself to save the company he loves? No! He would cry, and maybe take some names.

Segata > Reggie > Johnny Turbo.

Memles

I don't think it requires any sort of maturity to make it relevant for today's teens...I think it simply needs to be good. I mean, the same teenagers that badmouth SMS probably loved SM64; it's all about the game. Even if they just give the game a bit more of a classic, nostalgia twist, with nothing but old enemies, old areas, old friends all remixed, they'd probably make it more relevant to teens who played Mario as a kid.

FnordChan

TekunoRobby said:
The Sardius is not please with your actions FnordChan. Now's a good time to take out that life insurance plan.

It's true - I'm an inhuman agent of Feka, dedicated to selling kids $300 CD attachments to $100 video game systems and abusing other people's bandwidth. However, rather than have Johnny Turbo show up to kick my ass, I've put the image hosting on my dime. Hopefully The Sardius will restrain his wrath.

FnordChan

Suerte

How about Nintendo actually make an ORIGINAL game with a mature style instead of using Mario, a mature Mario would just be dumb.

Reggie in talks with that former Naughty Dog employee? Or perhaps he is simply alluding to Mario 128 like some most likely mentioned. I hope Nintendo saves Mario for a bit debut at E 2005 when they show off the Revolution. Or at least for their own Space World 2005. I guess it'd be a good idea not to overshadow Zelda.

Tellaerin

All this 'mature Mario' stuff is fun to joke about, but after getting the new EGM in the mail and reading the article in question, I don't think that's what he's implying at all.

From the body of the article:

"If I could wave a magic wand, I'd want more franchise characters," he says. Fils-Aime says Nintendo has several secret new franchises in the works.

And the bold purple header at the top of the page:

"I want another Mario--I want a Mario that's relevant to today's teens."--Nintendo Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing Reggie Fils-Aime

Sounds to me like the 'Mario' soundbite is part of the discussion about new franchises, and that Reggie wants to see Nintendo create a 'new Mario', a new franchise that's relevant to today's gamers in the same way that Mario was to oldschool players.

explodet

"If I could wave a magic wand, I'd want more franchise characters," he says. Fils-Aime says Nintendo has several secret new franchises in the works.
That's *already* one of their strengths - their characters. :p

Nintendo could make a whole series of games based on characters that have already been introduced - spin-offs, essentially - and already there will be a small fanbase. They've already done this with Wario, Yoshi - isn't there a Peach game in the works?

If they ever made a game starring Bowser, I'd probably give it a second look.

Deg

Banned
explodet said:
If they ever made a game starring Bowser, I'd probably give it a second look.

A Bowser game would be great. But so would Chain Chomp or Bullet Bill be right. I wouldnt mind a Mario Football or other Mario type games either.

Tellaerin said:
Sounds to me like the 'Mario' soundbite is part of the discussion about new franchises, and that Reggie wants to see Nintendo create a 'new Mario', a new franchise that's relevant to today's gamers in the same way that Mario was to oldschool players.
Thanks for the clarification. So he is talking about something new, rather than sassing up the non-sassy standard. Cool with me.

kamikaze

talk about putting words into someone's mouth...'relevant to teens' is not mature. what world do you live in where teens are mature? 'hip and trendy' yes...mature, no.

I actually think Mario would make a better Cel Shaded game myself.
That would allow Nintendo to add artistry to his design and the style of the broader mushroom kingdom without having to make him 'realistic' which obviously is never going to happen with Mario. I like realistic Zelda, sure. But Mario would be cool with Cel shading.
Also, a new Mario needs some real whacky and psychedelic powerups, man.

Alf_Life

A down-and-out Mario, high on magic mushrooms, is imprisoned in the psychiatric ward of a maximum-security mental hospital after beating up a pregnant Peach and shooting her boyfriend John Bowser.
He is forced to relive his past as well as discover if this world, this 'Mushroom Kingdom', is something he has inwardly created to deal with his miserable existence in Brooklyn.

Maneouvre a shotgun-weilding Mario, Resident Evil-style, as he tries to escape the hospital, while also handling traumatic flashbacks where Mario has to keep his mental state in balance, and sees himself as a cartoon character who has to jump onto platform after platform to survive.

etiolate

Banned
I would like a consumer who didn't need their manhood reaffirmed by a videogame.

But since we are talking about a Mario for todays teen or today's mature gaming public, it would include:

Handguns and cars!

-Licensed Music from bands that wear either A: Indipendent Tshirts or B: FUBU shirts
-Be Cinematic, cutscenes, involve actors. No grabbing a star at the end of the level, only watching Mario trying to disarm the Starbomb threatening the safety of the CIA, unable to do so in time and tossing it into a suddenly nearby lake and watching it explode while fish reign down in a Magnolia-esque reinactment
-Handguns and cars!
-Sexist portrayal of women
-Attitude!
-Online. No actual new Online gameplay ideas, just be online.
-Oh yeah Blood. And Swearing. And guns
-Mario is somehow connected to the military.
-Overuse of dark colors to replace varied bright colors. Platforms may be hard to see because everything looks alike, but its gritty!
-Game is easy as fuck

human5892 said:
Really, just give me a Mario that's up to par with Mario 64 and I'm good. No need to make him "mature".

...how would you do that, anyhow? Have him smoke cigars? Or would it be that lame irritating "attitude" that so many 3D platformers have these days?

IAWTP.

I think originally with Mario Sunshine they were just talking about more true to life environments. i.e. no floating islands or platforms and a bit more emphasis on story. Not "teh mature!"

I just want the variety of environments and levels from Mario 64 and the MUSIC. Oh the music was so good in Mario 64. And more of those "Bowser" style stages (man the music rocks in those stages too).

Best thing they added to Mario series were those tight ropes in Sunshine. They were pretty fun.

Tellaerin said:

Ah right. Thanks for the clarification. I think the new Zelda has the potential to be that game. But new franchises are always welcomed. I like Pikmin a lot but it doesn't really have that much mainstream appeal. A new franchise like "Zelda" is what we need. A game that truely appeals to all ages (except for WW).

Red Dolphin said:
Best thing they added to Mario series were those tight ropes in Sunshine. They were pretty fun.
They were pretty cool... but I'd really place that credit with Donkey Kong '94, though SMS expanded upon it. DK'94 had wires Mario could traverse using his hands, as well as spin around to leap high distances.

JoshuaJSlone said:
They were pretty cool... but I'd really place that credit with Donkey Kong '94, though SMS expanded upon it. DK'94 had wires Mario could traverse using his hands, as well as spin around to leap high distances.

Ah yes how could I forget. I love DK94 btw.

By a mature Mario he probably implied something like Crash Bandicoot or something. Mario Sunshine was by far the most kiddy of the Mario games that I have played in my gaming life.

Top Bottom