• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie's book in Japan is titled “The Man Who Brought Nintendo Of America Back From The Brink”

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

Yea, but he wouldn't release Mother 3.

Reggie Fils-Aime Nintendo GIF by Mega 64

SaintALia

I guess he's right. Nintendo had a crap time with the N64 and GC, and a lot of their second party studios who they worked with over the years in the West were pretty much all gone.

Not sure how much he helped in the West though since he was pretty much taking control during the Wii and DS era. He's the only president of note I remember from NOA though, so that must be saying something.

I guess he's right. Nintendo had a crap time with the N64 and GC, and a lot of their second party studios who they worked with over the years in the West were pretty much all gone.

Not sure how much he helped in the West though since he was pretty much taking control during the Wii and DS era. He's the only president of note I remember from NOA though, so that must be saying something.
He is the only one who made a cult of personality around himself. Didn’t matter if Nintendo of Europe was localizing more games than Nintendo of America despite their release calendar being practically empty, didn’t matter that Club Nintendo was absolute garbage in America compared to even Europe, didn’t matter that Nintendo of Europe has significantly better Collector’s Editions compared to Nintendo of America (compare the quality of the packaging between the American and European collector’s editions and it’s clear that Nintendo of America went with the cheapest, most flimsy packaging possible), and didn't matter that the game localizations by Nintendo of America were (and still are) heavily censored and altered bullshit, all Reggie had to do was pump out memes and the drones would clap like seals.

SaintALia

He is the only one who made a cult of personality around himself. Didn’t matter if Nintendo of Europe was localizing more games than Nintendo of America despite their release calendar being practically empty, didn’t matter that Club Nintendo was absolute garbage in America compared to even Europe, didn’t matter that Nintendo of Europe has significantly better Collector’s Editions compared to Nintendo of America (compare the quality of the packaging between the American and European collector’s editions and it’s clear that Nintendo of America went with the cheapest, most flimsy packaging possible), and didn't matter that the game localizations by Nintendo of America were (and still are) heavily censored and altered bullshit, all Reggie had to do was pump out memes and the drones would clap like seals.
Not sure how much of that is actually his fault though. NOA has historically been pretty tight assed, since they tend to tread carefully so as not to ruffle any feathers in North America's sensibilities.

Not entirely sure about the packaging during that time. I only have a few Wii games and no physical DS/3DS games. NOE usually has better cover designs imo, but I usually dislike US videogame cover designs in general, so neither here nor there for me.

Yeah, I just have no idea what this guy actually contributed to NOA or Nintendo in general, apart from the quotes and memes thing, and that was more people making up memes off what he did, not that he was trying to make those memes to begin with. Only memes I remember are 'My body is ready/Reggie' and that eyebeam lazer thing.

I just think of NOA after the GC, as a headless chicken, with NOJ marionetting it. Maybe I should actually buy the book and check it out, but I have a feeling it'll be one of THOSE CEO/COO books, where they break their arms patting themselves on the back for what they did, while barely giving any actual insight into anything, and showering the reader with generic, shallow quotes about success, failure and pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and whatever. But maybe I'm wrong.

Japanese bookstores don't have a lot of shelf space. When someone looks at a book on the shelf, the title has to be descriptive enough for you to know exactly what it's about.
Are there any stats on this? I've been to bookstores in Japan and, if anything, they actually had more books on display than the ones I've been to in Europe and North America.

nush

Are there any stats on this? I've been to bookstores in Japan and, if anything, they actually had more books on display than the ones I've been to in Europe and North America.
Same for the bookstores in China, they were huge, they were big aisles in the supermarkets packed with books too. Asians love real books.

That son of a bitch was Nintendo's Jim Ryan.

They didn't release games like Disaster or they didn't bring Fatal Frame to America in Nintendo Wii, they always put on a Diva when bringing games to the continent.

AndrewRyan

It's written like you're a student enrolled in his business class. Made it to chapter 5 but didn't really grab me. Will try again sometime when I'm more interested in the big N.

Rat Rage

Gold Member

Even if he wanted, he couldn't do anything, because every major decision is made in Japan ONLY. Neither NOA or NOE had ever any say in the grand sheme of strategic decisions at Nintendo.

All these non-japanese Nintendo Headquarters around the world are just mere localisation and marketing agencies (and even in that regard NOA was behind NOE). So what the fuck did Reggie do, outside of creating some memetastic statements throughout his career? All he did was just playing the standard corporate manager game, pretending to be anything special, earning money and trying to build a cult around his personality.

This book is another great example of that. He's just trying to milk his "fame" as much as possible. I don't think he's narcissistic, just your average corporate manger opportunist, so in other words, nothing special.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I got a little drunk the other night and I decided that “I wanted to have lunch with Reggie sometime in the near future”, so I immediately started going through my old Nintendo contacts to see if I could get a good lead on his current communication channels.

I got to meet him years ago when he was at Nintendo, but I’ve never been able to spend any time or ask him questions. Now that he’s out if the spotlight, I’m gonna see if I can buy him lunch next time I’m in WA (I think that’s where he still is). I doubt I’ll be successful, but it’s worth a try. Dude’s got such a fascinating story.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Yea, but he wouldn't release Mother 3.

Reggie Fils-Aime Nintendo GIF by Mega 64

It’s because Reggie saw the future. There’s an alternate timeline where Mother 3 released in the west and it was such a massive mainstream success, it caused Nintendo to ignore the idea of dual screen gaming in favor of a Gameboy Advance successor, and thus they never started the casual gaming revolution. This continued Nintendo’s downward spiral until they were forced to sell out to Microsoft.

NanaMiku

What's up with Japan and their weird love for long and overly-explanatory titles?
I think it's just their culture? The title must describe the content of the book/movie? Almost all movies are renamed completely in Japan
Fast & Furious = Wild Speed
Frozen = Anna & The Queen of Snow
Wreck-it Ralph = Sugar Rush

Top Bottom