• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relics of the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Stracraft-+-Brood-War-img-1.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
The Nintendo Power Source on AOL

[IMGhttp://www.terrisus.com/pictures/npmousepad.jpg[/IMG]

(That being a mousepad with the mainpage layout of the area, since, of course, all of that is long since gone, and there's nothing similar to archive.org that's going to work with anything that was only located on AOL).

That was one of the main things I was excited about going to when I first got the internet back in 1996.
AOL used to have a number of great things on it (not the least of which being a couple of MUDs, such as Terris)

Fun fact that is completely true but I have absolutely no way to substantiate: I used to be a ridiculously prolific poster on the AOL videogame message boards (AOL username was Kraidman), which caught the attention of Geoff Rainville from NOA. He subsequently solicited ideas from me for what to put in Nintendo's AOL... site, I guess? I spent an unhealthy amount of time just dumping every idea that came into my head on e-mails with him (I didn't have the sense to type them up *offline* though, which racked up the bill. This was back when AOL was still billed by the minute).

Eventually the site went live, and didn't feature very many of my ideas. Then my parents discontinued our AOL subscription and signed on with a proper ISP (You know, back in the day when there were ISPs that weren't just cable conglomerates), and I was forever cut off from Nintendo Power Source. Which was ironic, because it eventually underwent a subsequent redesign that incorporated many of my ideas, but I never got to participate : (

Ironically, I don't even remember what most of my ideas were, except for some sort of play-by-post role playing board or something which was implemented.

Mike M

Nick N
Here's a tough one...

Does anybody remember what IGN was called before it became IGN? I used to visit it daily back in '96 or '97. I remember the pages were kind of color coded, one of the writers was a guy with Buddy Holly glasses, the other was a busty woman named Leah (who I recall worked at IGN for years and had like an advice column).
It's been bugging me for well over a year because it just totally fucking escapes me what it was called back then. It's just completely lost down the memory hole. Haha.

If I recall correctly, there was always the "Imagine Games Network" which consisted of the online presence of Next Generation, N64.com, and equivalent Saturn and PSX sites (Planet Saturn, I think? I have no idea what the PSX site was anymore.). They also had the Daily Entertainment Network, which had Daily Movies, Daily Music, and Daily TV. The Buddy Holly guy was the editor of Daily Music, his name was... Adam, I think?

He actually invited me to visit the IGN offices once since I was kinda single handedly keeping the letters section of the DEN sites alive, and I got to meet them all and play some weird N64 Neon Genesis Evangelion game that none of us could figure out what the hell was happening on.

Shortly after that, they rolled everything under the IGN banner. I think actually the video game stuff was already under the IGN banner (IGN64.com, etc.), and then the DEN stuff got rebranded.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Heaven's Gate cult website is till up. You would think whichever isp that host that website would take it down now that all it's members are deceased.

How did they manage to misspell the name of the town they lived in?

Ganhyun

I remember playing the Encarta game people have posted. I also remember Joe Cartoon, Kazaa, Morpheus, Bearshare, etc. My biggest time killer had to be the Shockwave player with a ton of games on it(Water Balloon Drop FTW) and playing Age of Empires 2 online with the customer "blood" maps people made up.

Old school File sharing with Direct Connect+

DC_en.jpg

I remember the UI looking different than the above, so Direct Connect probably had many revisions and updates, but I remember this from way back.

I used to love DC. Used it all the time.

There's also another piece of software that I used but I can't remember the name, I think it was called SkyFire or something similar? It was like DC but 99% of it was used to download death/black metal, mostly people from northern countries. I remember a specific instance where I went into some guy's computer and downloaded 20k songs over 3 days.

Also, this got me as well.

Not a big "relic" and not sure of its relevance today, but in the mid 2000's I went all apeshit for stardock and object dock. I had my girlfriends computer looking like this during christmas time. We loved it.
BMa6pl.jpg

Kanyon

Put me down for still using WinAmp, haven't found a better MP3 player yet, plays anything thrown at it... I feel like VLC is its video equivalent in some bizarre way.

Also used MIRC on efNet back in the day, some good times.

THE INTERNET on April 4th, 1998
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWq4DWfrpu8

From the video description.
I just decided to fill a VHS tape with me using the internet. I've edited out a lot of even more boring bits of this video, you're not missing much. I've uploaded this to show to friends, but it'd be cool if more people find something they enjoy here.
0:00 I visit #3dfx on IRC
4:17 I show off my old Geocities website
5:18 I check http://bluesnews.com for the latest gaming news
3:57 browsing the anime web turnpike
5:42 more #3dfx on IRC
9:07 I go to IGN64.com looking up news on the upcoming Zelda64

Chittagong

Gold Member
n64hq_main.png

re: the above media player Ui - what in the FUCK was wrong with people in the 90s? That crap was everywhere. I have no idea how it started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom