• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember one of the best trailers ever made for one of the most underrated games ever made?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Not nearly enough people bought it. SE instead tried to pivot to GaaS and killed the studio. So underrated seems right.

And yeah, love the game, and it’s a damn shame what happened.
But how is the game underrated? Being underrated isn’t about sales. Being underrated is about people thinking it isn’t as good as it is. That’s not the case here. People were just starting to wear thin on open world games. GTA killed the genre at that point. At no point did I hear anyone talk down on SD.

StereoVsn

But how is the game underrated? Being underrated isn’t about sales. Being underrated is about people thinking it isn’t as good as it is. That’s not the case here. People were just starting to wear thin on open world games. GTA killed the genre at that point. At no point did I hear anyone talk down on SD.
That’s the thing. At the time game was dismissed as a GTA clone, and while it did have certain elements akin to GTA, it had a competent different feel.

Hence it was underrated at the time of release. Now days, yeah, a lot more folks appreciate the game, but that wasn’t the case at release.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why do you guys keep trying to put Sleeping Dogs on a pedestal? It was a fun game, but I just don’t think it was anything special.
Better than GTA4 thats for sure. I never played 5. Game had it all. Open city with great combat and tons of environmental kills. And I like being a cop undercover. I dont get that far roleplaying as a criminal most times. And its actually set somewhere different for once.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
That’s the thing. At the time game was dismissed as a GTA clone, and while it did have certain elements akin to GTA, it had a competent different feel.

Hence it was underrated at the time of release. Now days, yeah, a lot more folks appreciate the game, but that wasn’t the case at release.
It wild that I personally still think it’s better than any of the GTA games.

Why do you guys keep trying to put Sleeping Dogs on a pedestal? It was a fun game, but I just don’t think it was anything special.
Then name another

tenor.gif

Midn1ght

One of my favorite open world game, far from perfect of course but damn I love this game. Honestly, they need more game set in Hong Kong or South East Asian cities. I think I got the platinum trophy 3 times on PlayStation and 100% twice on Steam. I would totally go for another playthrough and a sequel would be day one for me.

Best track:

Laptop1991

Loved Sleeping Dogs, just wished i could have a custom radio in like GTA, but the game was great, would like a sequel, but they don't make games like they use to.

Last edited:

Hudo

Holy hell, I never knew they made a live-action trailer.

Reminds me of the GTA 2 intro:

It even has a full version!

Edit: I am also gonna collect some hate: I genuinely had more fun with Sleeping Dogs than with GTA5.

Last edited:
Finished this just before the new year on Steam Deck OLED. Even though I mostly mainlined it, I loved every minute, super fun game that accomplished everything I think it set out to do. All the mechanics worked well and simple to grasp.

IAmRei

I like the setting of this game. And at the time, felt so alive. Thats it, until i see Yakuza in newer engine. But again, the game it self have bigger location. And its a plus for me. Still occassionally play this each several years and still love it. The combat is okay. Although the riding animation somehow aging not so well.

Walking in this game is my favorite. Quite immersive for me.

The story is not much of my concern for video game experience. I doesnt have any issue with it.

But still 9/10 for me. I wish there will be a sequel or something with this game veins.

TheAssist

Yeah I bought it one day on a sale not really expecting anything too much, but I ended up having a blast with the game. The atmosphere was amazing.

Hudo

Man, it's such a shame that United Front Games ended with their attempt at making a live-service Sleeping Dogs because Square Enix wanted it.

I so want a Sleeping Dogs 2. Rockstar will, by their own admission, never make a GTA game outside the Americas.

Top Bottom