• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember that X-Files game for PS1?

Blablurn

Which was an actual episode of the show. But you could play it. Pretty neat idea back then. ++
39RXsa5.jpg

Description
Enter the world of the X-Files.

As field agent Craig Willmore, assigned to assist Special Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully in their latest investigation into paranormal activity. Follow the trail of elusive clues, sift through evidence at crime scenes, use a wide range of standard issue FBI equipment and special tools, conduct interviews with witnesses and suspects, and make critical decisions to solve an all new X-Files case.

XzgxKBs.jpg
c
bvms16E.jpg

Trivia

- Almost the entire senior cast of the X-Files stars in the game.

- The instruction manual features a full page of companies that donated items for the making of the film.

- There are 7 full pages of Cast, Crew, and Developer Credits.

3FcOAKp.jpg

You can watch part one of a Lets Play here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmRmyZJ7ZK8

DryvBy

Yeah, I still have that crap. And 7th Guest. And 11th Hour. And Mad Dog 1 & 2. And all those other crappy games.

FMV <3

Which was an actual episode of the show. But you could play it. Pretty neat idea back then. ++
39RXsa5.jpg

XzgxKBs.jpg
c
bvms16E.jpg

3FcOAKp.jpg

You can watch part one of a Lets Play here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmRmyZJ7ZK8

lol, you ass!!!!! :p

I already planned (2 few days ago) to make a X-Files thread for this game.
Why? I LOVED IT! Bought it a few days ago from ebay, because it's one of my favourite games ever.

It's awesome! Suspense, etc.
The atmosphere.... awesome!

RaginRoss

A friend of mine had this when we were about 10. All I really remember is us getting a game over after trying to shoot Skinner in the face.

nowarning

I remember that one on PS2 that I didn't play but not this one, I wouldn't have gotten into the X-files until a few years after this came out unfortunately :(

danmaku

I played the PC version. Decent adventure game, but a must have for an X-File fan. I was so delighted to see Mulder and Scully on my monitor.

Remember it? I still have my copy of it.

It was decent but it was stupidly easy to trigger unwinable scenarios that didn't appear until late game if you missed certain things.

Resist or Serve was great too. An Resi game with an X-Files skin.

I miss The X-Files. I hope it comes back.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I remember the PS2 Resident Evil clone game, X-Files: Resist or Serve, more.

1.jpg
The+X-Files+Game_thexfileshunt+%252811%2529.jpg

It honestly wasn't that bad, actually had a pretty deep amount of content to it from what I remembered, a bit longer than your typical horror game. It wasn't live-action, but all the actors from the TV series voiced their respective roles in the game.

Pinktaco

Ooh yes. As a kid who didn't understand English this was quite hard haha. Got quite far into the game, but I eventually stopped. Was a trial and error thing for me, but interesting game. It was mostly a puzzle though wasn't it? The gameplay aspect. I also didn't realize that this was supposed to be an actual episode :p

eXistor

Such a shitty game. I only got it (on PC) because I was a massive X-Files fan back then. Thank god I simultaneously got Banjo-Kazooie on the same day to wash away the bad taste it left.

Ooh yes. As a kid who didn't understand English this was quite hard haha. Got quite far into the game, but I eventually stopped. Was a trial and error thing for me, but interesting game. It was mostly a puzzle though wasn't it? The gameplay aspect. I also didn't realize that this was supposed to be an actual episode :p
Yeah. It was made by the full crew and exists between two episodes of season three but filmed just before Fight the Future was filmed.

The PC version had 7 discs.

I loved this game back then, I wonder if it's available somewhere digitally.
I miss the cheesy FMV games from the 90's, think I'll play through both Phantasmagorias this weekend.
This isn't really cheesy. Well, no more than the show is.

It's not available digitally, probably licences and all sorts of issues.

Teknoman

1.jpg

It honestly wasn't that bad, actually had a pretty deep amount of content to it from what I remembered, a bit longer than your typical horror game. It wasn't live-action, but all the actors from the TV series voiced their respective roles in the game.

Im interested now...any puzzles or actual boss fights?

bryanee

1.jpg

I was hoping the Super Best Friends would do a play through of that after they had it on their shitstorm. It looked surprisingly good.

Klarax

Banned
I remember the ps1 game, was pretty good. Remember getting stuck a few times.

Not sure if i cleared it tho...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Im interested now...any puzzles or actual boss fights?

Yup, has both. The game was literally a Resident Evil clone with an X-File skin. It wasn't revolutionary, but may be more novel these days because those type of games hardly exist anymore. Part of the reason it's long is because there's a lot of pretty big locations in the game, you sort of go globe-trotting and the levels can be surprisingly large. The story starts off with investigating some murders in a small town in the rocky mountains, and this small town alone is pretty sizeable and you spend a good amount of time in it at the beginning, but that's only the first location and you soon go to various places. Even modeled a few areas off the TV show you can explore, like the FBI office, Mulder's apartment, the Rusian camp where Mulder and Alex were subjected to the black oil, etc. And most main and many minor characters make some kind of appearance in the game.

You can beat it a bit faster once you know what you're doing of course, has fixed camera angles, puzzles to solve, items to collect, some back-tracking. It also sort of rips shamelessly from Resident Evil 2, it basically is best compared to Resident Evil 2 with an X-Files skin. They even have the dual-character thing going on where you can play as both characters, and they both go through similar but very different events in their separate campaigns and perspectives. It's not as good as RE2 obviously, and I wouldn't say the game is scary, sometimes it is a bit startling and others it can be a bit silly, but I think it's good for a licensed game and a pretty decent horror game, and pays a lot of attention to X-Files lore with lots of nods and references, making it pretty fun if you're a fan, obviously made for fans. Also includes a lot of unlockable behind the scene videos with the actors and commentary from them and so on.

If you go in expecting a B-Tier sort of horror game with X-Files love, you'll probably enjoy it. It's on the higher-end of B-Tier horror games, in my opinion.

I was hoping the Super Best Friends would do a play through of that after they had it on their shitstorm. It looked surprisingly good.

To their fairness, this game is hard to Let's Play. It's a fucking copyright claim nightmare, from my experience.

mdzapeer

I played the PSone game, remember it being pretty fun. You could do some funny stuff as choices.

It atleast it had choices...unlike newer games....*grumbles* GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

Jawmuncher

We need the GIF of how many times you have to stomp on enemies in Resist or Serve.

-----

Never wathced the FMV game, but it being FMV alone was always cool

Kevin

Would have been cool if someone had compiled the FMV game into a watchable movie. Tried to turn it into like a lost episode to watch.

inm8num2

Always wanted to play the old X-Files FMV game, as both a fan of the show and adventure games. Saw a PC copy (just the discs) in a used bookstore a few years ago and stupidly didn't buy it. Went back a few days later and it was gone. :/

Conezays

Yup, has both. The game was literally a Resident Evil clone with an X-File skin. It wasn't revolutionary, but may be more novel these days because those type of games hardly exist anymore. Part of the reason it's long is because there's a lot of pretty big locations in the game, you sort of go globe-trotting and the levels can be surprisingly large. The story starts off with investigating some murders in a small town in the rocky mountains, and this small town alone is pretty sizeable and you spend a good amount of time in it at the beginning, but that's only the first location and you soon go to various places. Even modeled a few areas off the TV show you can explore, like the FBI office, Mulder's apartment, the Rusian camp where Mulder and Alex were subjected to the black oil, etc. And most main and many minor characters make some kind of appearance in the game.

You can beat it a bit faster once you know what you're doing of course, has fixed camera angles, puzzles to solve, items to collect, some back-tracking. It also sort of rips shamelessly from Resident Evil 2, it basically is best compared to Resident Evil 2 with an X-Files skin. They even have the dual-character thing going on where you can play as both characters, and they both go through similar but very different events in their separate campaigns and perspectives. It's not as good as RE2 obviously, and I wouldn't say the game is scary, sometimes it is a bit startling and others it can be a bit silly, but I think it's good for a licensed game and a pretty decent horror game, and pays a lot of attention to X-Files lore with lots of nods and references, making it pretty fun if you're a fan, obviously made for fans. Also includes a lot of unlockable behind the scene videos with the actors and commentary from them and so on.

If you go in expecting a B-Tier sort of horror game with X-Files love, you'll probably enjoy it. It's on the higher-end of B-Tier horror games, in my opinion.

To their fairness, this game is hard to Let's Play. It's a fucking copyright claim nightmare, from my experience.

Nice, thanks for the write up. Game sounds right up my alley. *Love* The X-Files.

woodypop

Yeah, I remember trying to play it back in the day. But I think it was kinda glitchy with the PS2, and I didn't get very far. I ought to at least give it a go on a PSOne. (I wonder if there're any issues with playing it on PS3?)

Dsyndrome

Still got mine, got terrible reviews back in the day, I didn't care. Biggest complaint I remember is the sheer amount of CD's required to play the game, over five at least. Was cool seeing Mulder and Scully throughout the game, would buy instantly if they rereleased it on GOG.

Top Bottom