• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant: From The Ashes |OT| Bit Challenging? Then It's Souls-Like!

Mista

Banned
apps.40312.14472550674617543.30decaf0-5d95-43f0-ac2e-c58aaeacc309.55a0eab7-0d58-4f06-8e90-4ed5b119a1a0

Developer: GunFire Games
Publisher: PerfectWorld
Platforms: PS4, XB1 and PC
Price: $39.99 | £30.99
Release Date: August 16th (VIP Access for Pre-orders) - August 20th Official Release Date

ABOUT THIS GAME

Remnant: From the Ashes is a third-person survival action shooter set in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by monstrous creatures. As one of the last remnants of humanity, you’ll set out alone or alongside up to two other players to face down hordes of deadly enemies and epic bosses, and try to carve a foothold, rebuild, and then retake what was lost.

A REMNANT OF MANKIND

remnant-1.jpg

The world has been thrown into chaos by an ancient evil from another dimension. Humanity is struggling to survive, but they possess the technology to open portals to other realms and alternate realities. They must travel through these portals to uncover the mystery of where the evil came from, scavenge resources to stay alive, and fight back to carve out a foothold for mankind to rebuild...

ENDLESS FANTASTIC REALMS AWAIT

Remnant-From-the-Ashes-05.jpg

Explore dynamically-generated worlds that change each time you play through them, creating new maps, enemy encounters, quest opportunities, and in-world events. Each of the game’s four unique worlds is filled with monstrous denizens and environments that will provide fresh challenges with each playthrough. Adapt and explore… or die trying.

SCAVENGE. UPGRADE. SPECIALIZE.

8352ea44ff6118808f49eeec7c3ce28801a26f0a.jpg

Overcome tough-as-nails enemies and epic bosses throughout hostile environments to earn experience, valuable loot and upgrade materials you can use to build a wicked arsenal of weapons, armor, and modifications to approach each encounter dozens of unique ways.

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS.

Screen_%283%29.jpg

Invading other worlds to seek an end to the Root is dangerous and survival is far from guaranteed. Team up with up to two other players to increase your chances of survival. Teamwork is necessary to make it through the game’s toughest challenges… and unlock its greatest rewards.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Just got gifted this yesterday. Will try it out tonight or tomorrow hopefully if I find time. Looks pretty fun and could be a great time with a few buddies. The concept is awesome.

Last edited:

Tbone3336

Gold Member
Great Job on the OT Mista! Broke down and bought the game on XBOX, loving it so far. Can be a bit tough single player but I am doing ok so far playing single for the first time through. Controls are good so far, shooting has some weight to it and the guns feel good. I have only beat the first boss but the challenge so far has been fair. The only thing that may deter a bit is the graphics may not have much variety through out the game, but we will see.

So far worthy of the $40 Price for me. As Krappadizzle mentioned I think coop will be a lot of fun, but single player is fun so far itself also.

G-Bus

Banned
Very much ready for this.

Kind of sucks PS4 never got the VIP access for pre orders. Don't want to wait until Tuesday!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to playing the game Tuesday on PS4. Been interested in the game since it's reveal trailer when it was originally going to be a four player co-op game instead of three. All the impressions that I have read have been positive so can't wait to play it.

Mista

Banned
Convinced two of the boys to get the game so we hop in today. Hopefully this game doesn’t disappoint otherwise I’ll have to give them money🤷🏻‍♂️

Life

So there's no death penalties in this game? I died and retained everything and the penalty is: enemies respawn but in random locations. In other words, the challenge is getting through the areas from checkpoint to checkpoint.

That's a load off if it's true. Even though the hordes of enemies can be tough sometimes.

waylo

Banned
Whats the content like in this? My friends and I are on the fence. We watched Angry Joe's stream yesterday and they completed the story in roughly five hours. However, I saw other streamers playing some dungeon things that look separate from the story? They all looked kinda samey though. Is there enough here to justify $40?

Life

So err..enemies sneaking up behind you is kinda bullshit. No footstep sounds and boom, I get sliced front and back. Seems mandatory to play this with a partner - even though I prefer the solo challenge.

Ugly and boring environments and I don't see why ppl call it souls-like. Theres a whole lot more to souls-like than just similar dodge/stamina mechanics. I would advise waiting on this at least a year or so if they bother to support it.

Mista

Banned
Ugly and boring environments and I don't see why ppl call it souls-like. Theres a whole lot more to souls-like than just similar dodge/stamina mechanics. I would advise waiting on this at least a year or so if they bother to support it.
The title is a joke because apparently anything that is a bit challenging today is immediately “souls-like”

The title is a joke because apparently anything that is a bit challenging today is immediately “souls-like”

I know, sorry if I sounded like I was referring to the title. I was just talking in general, based on discussions outside gaf because even the most popular community tag for the game is souls-like, which is starting to get a bit annoying these days.

Last edited:

Keihart

It is very souls like tho...fog gates, flasks, bonfire, your choice in class is just your starting point, etc. I think it is intended to be souls like, it's not hiding it at all.

Just found an awesome set of armor from a seemingly innocuous environmental puzzle. Almost missed it entirely!

So err..enemies sneaking up behind you is kinda bullshit. No footstep sounds and boom, I get sliced front and back. Seems mandatory to play this with a partner - even though I prefer the solo challenge.
Yeah it was kinda annoying. Keep an ear out for the sound effect that indicates a special enemy has spawned.

Enemies spawning behind seems to have stopped completely in the second area, though... so there's that.
It is very souls like tho...fog gates, flasks, bonfire, your choice in class is just your starting point, etc. I think it is intended to be souls like, it's not hiding it at all.
It really doesn't play like one, though. Those first three elements are essentially the only Soulsian elements in the game.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I know, sorry if I sounded like I was referring to the title. I was just talking in general, based on discussions outside gaf because even the most popular community tag for the game is souls-like, which is starting to get a bit annoying these days.
No need to apologies my man. I was just making it clear that’s all

I do agree though that it’s becoming very annoying. For fuck sake even Cuphead got called that...

The Jag

Neo Member
No need to apologies my man. I was just making it clear that’s all

I do agree though that it’s becoming very annoying. For fuck sake even Cuphead got called that...
Maybe i'm wrong, but I always took the Souls/Cuphead comparisons as sort of a joke.

Life

It's more Resident Evil 4/5 with a lot more enemies/hordes and aggressive AI. Ammo drops and loot boxes ruin the pacing of the game for me. I'd rather have ammo boxes and chests in specific places.

Keihart

kinda bullshit when enemies can spawn out of sight constantly, like in the first boss. Only a real problem when playing solo tho.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I agree on the point with the random enemy spawns that happen behind you or anywhere randomly with no clue, especially on a solo run. I at first thought it was due to not using a headset, but after using a headset it did not seem to provide any, or at least any helpful sound cues that I could hear. I many times in the first boss area just got to a wall area and dodged forward then back to stop from being surrounded.

other than that I am liking it a lot and there seems to be a good deal of weapons and armor and traits to get different builds going.

Mista

Banned
It happens an epic shit ton. So if that some bothers a person they really better prepare their butt lol
Well brother, I faced the first real boss that summons bunch of big farts running around with him. I’m struggling alone to take him down

He’s easy to face but those farts clouds makes it annoying

Karak

Well brother, I faced the first real boss that summons bunch of big farts running around with him. I’m struggling alone to take him down

He’s easy to face but those farts clouds makes it annoying
Yep the adds are legit one of the main complaints everywhere I go. Aside from the huge number of bugs and fps problems. Luckily some patched out this morning.
But those ADDS are killers in some bosses. And then just normally running around and getting in a fight and BOOM enemy behind you. Just MONSTER CLOSET

Mista

Banned
Yep the adds are legit one of the main complaints everywhere I go. Aside from the huge number of bugs and fps problems. Luckily some patched out this morning.
But those ADDS are killers in some bosses. And then just normally running around and getting in a fight and BOOM enemy behind you. Just MONSTER CLOSET
This needs to be toned down. I don't mind adds just don't over do it and make them respawn behind me without any sound

Because this isn't adding a challenge at all, its straight up dogshit.

Karak

This needs to be toned down. I don't mind adds just don't over do it and make them respawn behind me without any sound

Because this isn't adding a challenge at all, its straight up dogshit.
Ya. I would agree. It seems to be a huge complaint from everyone I talk to playing the game.

I think what we will find is that simply based on what bosses you get too. Some people will love it and others HHAAAAAATE it.

Last edited:
Adds are definitely annoying, but they've been manageable so far IMO. Switching up weapon loadouts can help. Melee is very helpful with smaller adds as well, with the exception of exploders of course.

Keihart

so i was playing in the area next to the first boss, past the first shortcut and after like 15 minutes or less playing the game starts to freeze every couple of seconds. I think there is some memory or streaming bug going on, i can't play like this and my PC is not strong enough to just muscle through it (I76700K, gtx1060 and 16gb of RAM running on a SSD)
This game might be not running at all in theses sections on Xbox one i imagine.
iu

Lanrutcon

This is not a good game.

The main problem stems from the conceptual shift from melee to ranged gameplay. They put guns into Souls-like gameplay and immediately realised that causes problems, which they couldn't solve.

- The player will just shoot everything and forget melee. Uh oh! We better restrict ammo...
- ...but then how do we handle boss fights? Uh oh! Better give every boss infinitely respawning minions...
- ...but then the player will just find some corner and bunker up! Uh oh! Better make enemies spawn out of thin air from behind the player...
- ...but then everything just gets shotgunned! Uh oh! Better make melee enemies that are immune to bullets until they swing at the player...

So you end up with an arena based third-person shooter with limited ammo, Souls level of damage, Souls level animation lengths, teleporting enemies and boss fights were you are literally rushed by infinite enemies. Imagine fighting the Capra demon with 12 instantly respawning dogs. And the Capra demon has a machine gun.

Don't get me started on the hitboxes.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

And there's skill here, I can see that. The game is much less janky than it should be. Maybe it wasn't playtested? I dunno. The solo experience is rough, and the auto-scaling is maybe not a great idea.

Are you guys playing on console? I can see the 30fps limit making the handling of adds more difficult than it needs to be. But otherwise it's a surmountable challenge, like every encounter in the Souls games. I realize it's a lot to deal with and therefore frustating but, like in the Souls games, getting past those moments are some of the best feelings in gaming.

As for those bullet points...
- The player will just shoot everything and forget melee. Uh oh! We better restrict ammo...
- ...but then how do we handle boss fights? Uh oh! Better give every boss infinitely respawning minions...
- ...but then the player will just find some corner and bunker up! Uh oh! Better make enemies spawn out of thin air from behind the player...
- ...but then everything just gets shotgunned! Uh oh! Better make melee enemies that are immune to bullets until they swing at the player...
- Almost every game with guns has limited ammo, and melee is good for adds so you better make sure NOT to forget it.
- Not every boss has adds. And if they do they're usually dispatched with a single bullet or weapon swing. If that's not happening then upgrade your shit.
- Putting your back against the wall in a game like this (i.e. a shooter with melee enemies) is a terrible idea. You need to be mobile.
- You're complaining about a single enemy type here, dude. I realize dying to the same enemy is frustrating but come on lol

I don't want to sound like I'm cheerleading the game (in all honesty I think the game will settle at a flat 80 MC, maybe a little less), but I had to address those points because they were way off.

Edit:
Maybe it wasn't playtested?
🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

Tbone3336

Gold Member
For those struggling with the Gorefist fight in the grinder, I had lots of trouble myself, over 30 attempts, yes I am not gud :messenger_loudly_crying:until I figured out you can give yourself some space between you and him and there is time if I stayed calm and got enough distance from him and not just spam and sprint all the time, (got into the big open room on the first floor and allowed freedom of movement). Unless he is enraged you can roll into him and then sprint to give yourself some range, ( i used the hunting rifle), and emptied my clip into him and repeated in the other direction while slowly walking toward him them rolling into him and past him and sprint away, rinse and repeat. I found if I kept moving this way adds could be kept in front of me and I was able to kill them one-shot each. Then I would gain some distant from the boss with rolls and I had about two clips worth of time before the next adds showed up.

I had the fire mod on my rifle. When he gets enraged, you can roll into him but need to follow up with a second roll right after and a third roll to be sure then sprint away to gain some distance. He will tire and you can deal with adds or empty several clips into him.

For a bit there I was frustrated thinking it was going to end up being rng based with just getting lucky with adds and not my actual improving to beat him, but once I controlled my distance and stayed calm I barely took a hit when I beat him. (It can help to have an oil skin tonic to increase root rot resistance). Also the adds when they get close to you stop and then explode, You can roll away from them most time and not get hit if timed right I found also.

Hope this helps someone and I also found this YT video as a helpful tactic-

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Keihart

From the desing persepective i have a problem with how enemies respawn and the scaling a little too.

While i find that some type of scaling is necessary, it only becomes necessary if you give the player easy and meaningful upgrades, wich this game does thus creating the problem it's trying to solve. There was no need for it, give the player utility upgrades instead of just number upgrades, that incentives creativity and co-op gameplay and enemies can be hard from the get go. I like the idea of mods and they should be more meaningful than the equipment upgrades like giving your gun a +10 for example. This problem is not easy to fix right now, but it's not really that urgent is just missed potential.

Monster closets should have visual and sound cues, "farts" have sound cues but since there is no visual cue it feels cheap, and unlike the traps in souls games, you can't negate the cheapness with knowledge here because they will keep re spawning and do it without you knowing some times. This could be "easy" to fix by adding visual cues to when a enemie will spawn, before they actually do and some sound indicating their direction.

Game is fun, souls with guns works.
Mods make it fun like playing the binding of isac with the power ups, wish there was even more of that.
I can't keep playing it because the game is freezing every couple of seconds, i hope it gets fixed.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

As for those bullet points...

- Almost every game with guns has limited ammo, and melee is good for adds so you better make sure NOT to forget it.
- Not every boss has adds. And if they do they're usually dispatched with a single bullet or weapon swing. If that's not happening then upgrade your shit.
- Putting your back against the wall in a game like this (i.e. a shooter with melee enemies) is a terrible idea. You need to be mobile.
- You're complaining about a single enemy type here, dude. I realize dying to the same enemy is frustrating but come on lol

I don't want to sound like I'm cheerleading the game (in all honesty I think the game will settle at a flat 80 MC, maybe a little less), but I had to address those points because they were way off.

That's all bullshit and I'm not going to waste my time telling you why because you're playing the same game so you know it's bullshit.

I'm now in the wide open sections where the base enemies have automatic rifles and the big enemies don't even need to LOS to damage me. Thought the game was bad when my guns could kill things with headshots, Now that I can't all the rifles are useless. Great.

How is this game getting worse, I ask you.

Edit: I must be missing something. Someone tell me how to upgrade my stuff over +5, where the weakpoints are for the heavy charging swordsmen and the heavy gunners and how I earn traits that are worth a damn.

Edit: I've killed a giant tree and found out you can buy ammo containers for cheap. And carry shitloads of them. Why can my dude carry 10 ammo crates with about 370 round of rifle ammo in his backpack, but only 37 rounds on him at a time. This is dumb.

Last edited:

Life

Getting tired of booting up the game and seeing it load in the first area every time *facepalm*. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

Top Bottom