• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renegade X, an Unreal Tournament 3 mod based on C&C: Renegade

dmr87

C&C: Renegade, brings back some memories for sure.

A first-person Command & Conquer game: it sounded like a good idea at the turn of the millennium, but the tripe that EA and Westwood turned out - Command & Conquer: Renegade - was, well, tripe.

Thank goodness for a group of fans determined to do better - much better, by the looks of things.

In 2007 they embarked on a project called Renegade, an Unreal Tournament 3 mod that would be everything C&C: Renegade wasn't. Six years later it's almost done: Renegade X will be released 26th February 2014.

This is an admirably free and non-profit pursuit, the game created in the team's - Totemarts' - spare time.

Gameplay itself is first- and third-person, and both teams - Nod and GDI - will have bases to look after, as they do in the C&C strategy games. You'll be able to manage your own economies, choosing from more than 30 weapons, 15 vehicles and massive attacks such as nuclear strikes, ion cannons, air strikes and more.

If structures are destroyed, various upgrades will be lost to you. In other words, there's a layer of tactics and strategy on top of the blam blam blam, which also looks entertaining. There's all sorts of vehicular combat mixed in as well.

Betas for Renegade have been released before, as has the single-player campaign, Black Dawn, in 2012.

The multiplayer in Renegade X will apparently be in beta shape when the game launches. "That means that although all core features will be in the game, it will not be the finished product," Totemarts explained. "We plan on releasing patches, new maps, and new features throughout 2014."

Release date Trailer
http://renegade-x.com/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-27-command-and-conquer-renegade-done-right

Refyref

I played Black Dawn. It was pretty nice, but clearly just a beta, as some didn't work.

Interested to see how it will play out in multiplayer.

Xater

I thought the C&C: renegade MP was pretty cool and this mod looks quite fantastic. Sadly I don't have the machine for it to play.

jediyoshi

Bah at this point they may as well have saved the announcement for next year, the wait is gonna hurt. Guess they probably want to build up hype until then

Oooh i loved me Renegade MP back in the day. Played this shit far too much. Always being the 1 guy that somehow managed to sneak in and take out important buildings (especially guard towers). So much heroic shit to be done.

Looks like i will be re-installing UT3 next year.

Jintor

I remembered that Renegade MP was okay.

I also remember sneaking downstairs to the computer to play Renegade SP at 1 in the morning and getting caught by my dad. Not worth it in retrospect

FACE

Banned
I remember seeing some screens of the SP portion posted here when that came out.

Oooh i loved me Renegade MP back in the day. Played this shit far too much. Always being the 1 guy that somehow managed to sneak in and take out important buildings (especially guard towers). So much heroic shit to be done.

Looks like i will be re-installing UT3 next year.

You won't need to.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
Dang. I thought this mod was dead. Played Renegade competitively on the german ESL back in the day and I'm really looking forward to this.

Every time I see this thread title, all I can think of is

MHWnalV.jpg

...which deserves a remake too, come to think of it.

DeaviL

Banned
Just yesterday, i was thinking: "I wish i could play C&C Renegade again" and i bump into a Renegade X article.
It looks pretty good, will play when it comes out.

Miker

Wow, I remember following this on ModDB aaaaaaaaaages ago. Really cool to see that it's coming out. Wonder if it'll show up on Steam.

The Stealth Fox

Renegade multi was so awesome for its time. Love the RTS/FPS hybrid, unfortunately the original game was marred by severe netcode issues. Hopefully this game will resolve that.

PensOwl

Banned
Man, Planetside 2 would be so much better if it was just massive multiplayer Renegade.

I've always been surprised that the Renegade formula never caught on, it's just so perfect.

CMDBob

Awesome, been waiting a long time for this to some out. Loved me some Renegade back in the day, heheh. Might replay the Black Dawn SP thingy before the MP comes out.

The Stealth Fox

Good to see some excitement. It's a completely free stand-alone download. We should get a team going when it comes out.

Renegade was one of those games where coordination was so important.

Syf

Banned
Really hope this gains some traction in the shooter community. Renegade was such an awesome multiplayer concept and I've been waiting for somebody to do it again. Can't wait for this release.

UnrealEck

Yeah Renegade was good. Some of the best fun I've had online. I forgot about this mod. Has been in development for years. I think I also played this way back early in its development. Must have been 3 years or more ago.

Looking forward to lots of *BOING*s

Slavik81

Nice. I really enjoyed Renegade's clear strategic objectives and its balance between individual and team rewards. I hope this catches on.

Cronox

Banned
C&C Renegade multiplayer was something special. Had some great times playing it back in the day. Looking forward to giving this a try, and hoping it has a large enough community so I can join a server with players and decent ping.

The Stealth Fox

I didn't see this posted, but they outlined what's going to be contained in the release on February 26th.

http://renegade-x.com/news?id=71795

Renegade X is a free indie tactical FPS multiplayer game that will be coming out on February 26th, 2014. The beta release is less than two weeks away, so this post will provide you with all of the information you will need to get onto the battlefield and take the point.

Renegade X is a First/Third Person Shooter with RTS elements. Players will be able to fight for two unique teams, manage their own economies, choose from over 30 weapons, 15 vehicles, and call in nuclear strikes, Ion Cannons, and airstrikes, and much more. Renegade X is for all players - lone wolves, team-based gamers, tankers, snipers, rushers, turtlers, and all others!

Story

Renegade X is set in the near future, in a world dominated by a contagious yet valuable resource called Tiberium. The Global Defense Initiative (GDI) is an international security force set to combat global terrorism. Conceived as a united peacekeeping military force, GDI depends on the technological sophistication of its weaponry, and the superior training and loyalties of its officers. GDI looks to halt the spread of Tiberium, which is gradually destroying the Earth and killing off millions of people. At the same time, the Brotherhood of Nod, led by the charismatic leader known only as Kane, grew to prominence. Working largely in third world countries, wherever there was discontent and unrest, there was Kane. With the promise of a New World Order and bankrolled by the illicit Tiberium research and trade that Kane made famous, Nod began to gain power. A few scattered, disaffected units grew into an army with powerful atomic weaponry, ruthless tactics, and a Tiberian fortune. The Brotherhood aims to push humanity into the next stage of evolution via Tiberium mutation.

Where GDI stands for international stability and the removal of the Tiberium contagion, Nod seeks to overthrow the established order and build a world centred on Tiberium research.

It's free. Seriously.

The Open Beta will be available for free on February 26th. Not free-to-play, not pay-to-win, just straight-up free. This is a non-monetized game. No ads, no for-money expansion packs. Free. Like, actually free. How much clearer can we be? It's FREE!!!!!

Release Content

By February 26th 2014, Renegade X will include the following:

Levels

-Field
-Islands
-Mesa II
-Walls Flying
-Whiteout
-Lakeside
-Goldrush

Infantry

-GDI and Nod Soldier
-GDI and Nod Shotgunner
-GDI Grenadier
-Nod Flamethrower
-GDI and Nod Engineer
-GDI and Nod Marksman
-GDI and Nod Officer
-GDI and Nod Rocket Officer
-GDI McFarland
-Nod Chemwarrior
-GDI Deadeye
-Nod Black Hand Sniper
-GDI Gunner
-Nod Stealth Black Hand
-GDI Patch
-Nod Laser Chaingunner
-GDI Sydney (Personal Ion Cannon)
-Nod Raveshaw
-GDI Havoc
-Nod Sakura
-GDI Mobius
-Nod Mendoza
-GDI Hotwire
-Nod Technician

Structures

-GDI and Nod Refinery
-GDI and Nod Powerplant
-GDI Barracks
-Hand of Nod
-GDI Weapons Factory
-Nod Airstrip
-GDI Advanced Guard Tower
-Nod Obelisk
-GDI Guard Tower
-Nod Turrets
-Nod SAM Sites
-Gun Emplacements

Tech buildings:

- Tiberium Silo

Vehicles

-GDI Humvee
-Nod Buggy
-GDI and Nod APC
-GDI MRLS
-Nod Artillery
-GDI Medium Tank
-Nod Flame Tank
-Nod Light Tank
-Nod Stealth Tank
-GDI Mammoth Tank
-GDI Orca
-Nod Apache
-GDI and Nod Transport Helicopters

Items

-GDI Ion Cannon Beacon
-Nod Nuclear Strike Beacon
-GDI A-10 Warthog Airstrike
-Nod AC-130 Airstrike

Sidearm Replacements

-Machine Pistol
-Grenades
-Heavy Pistol
-Carbine
-Tiberium Autorifle
-Tiberium Flechette

Miscellaneous

-Skirmish mode with AI bots
-Basic Server Regulator
-Server Client
-Official Soundtrack (to be released separately)
-Gamemode Tutorial video
More.

----------

Planned Content for Future Versions

-More multiplayer levels
-More tech buildings, including a caputrable Repair Facility and Communications Centre
-Clanwars ladder
-More items
-New gamemode(s)
-Glitch fixes
-Custom map and mod support
-More to be announced on a later date!

Calling all Server Owners!

Are you interested in running a Renegade X gaming server? You can apply and get early access to the Renegade X beta here: http://www.renegade-x.com/forums/viewto ... 16&t=71794

Totem Arts is interested in welcoming all server owners aboard, so that they may receive direct support from us and so that we may answer all of their questions.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Here are the minimum and recommended system requirements required to run Renegade X:

Minimum:

Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
2.0+ GHz processor
2 GB system RAM
SM3-compatible video card
4 GB free hard drive space

Recommended :

Windows Vista 64 SP2
2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
4 GB system RAM
NVIDIA 200 series or higher graphics card
Plenty of HDD space

Screenshots at the link too.

Syf

Banned
Dang, was really hoping Under would be an official level at open beta release. That was one of my favorites from OG Renegade. Air strikes sound interesting. Anyone know how those are triggered? Is it a beacon like nukes and ion cannon strikes?

The Stealth Fox

Dang, was really hoping Under would be an official level at open beta release. That was one of my favorites from OG Renegade. Air strikes sound interesting. Anyone know how those are triggered? Is it a beacon like nukes and ion cannon strikes?

I think you laser designate with your crosshair.

Also, I read on one of their podcasts that C&C_Under is coming sooner in a future update. They tried to have it ready for release, but it didn't get done in time AFAIK

Orayn

Looking forward to trying this, but the thread title is slightly inaccurate; Renegade X is going to be a standalone release.

Syf

Banned
I think you laser designate with your crosshair.
You're right. Just found this post on the official forum about air strikes:

How it works just now, you buy the airstrike from a PT like you would a nuke/ion. You can't have both at one time. I believe they double in price when power plant is destroyed.

You right click to bring the binoculars up and left click to target. While painting an area, you are completely stationary and there is a visible beam from you to the target. Once fully targeted, both teams get an airstrike announcement (Although this is likely to change). There are a few seconds until the airstrike actually begins.

Airstrike do little damage to buildings, they're more effective against players. They aren't instant kill on higher tier vehicles or infantry so even if you are caught in a strike, you still have a brief time to escape the targeted area.

Orayn

How do you make a free stand-alone release like this without paying for an engine?

99% sure it's based on UDK, whose default license limits some features but allows you to release games either for free or as commercial software with 25% royalties after the first $50,000 you make.

Syf

Banned
Yeah it is UDK. I played some of their Black Dawn singleplayer release and the installer was a UDK package.

KaiserBecks

I don't think this has been posted yet. For people new to Renegade's Multiplayer (well, or in case you've forgotten what it's all about, since it's been a while):

They released a tutorial video a couple of hours ago. I cannot wait to play this.

Syf

Banned
Played my first couple games. They've done such a good job with this. My first boink. ;-;

Will be on a lot tonight after my exam.

Syf

Banned
That or just edit this one into an OT. Either way yeah, it'd be cool to have a thread to talk about the game and maybe get some GAF group play going. I wish I didn't have to go write this exam hahah, all I wanna do is jump back in. Be back later.

Top Bottom