• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying games

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
How often do you replay games? Barring fighting games, I've found that even in these days of games with tons of unlockable content I very rarely have the desire to go back and replay games and not move on the next game on my playlist. Recently, I have beaten Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Devil May Cry 3, each one was an awesome experience, and after each one I swore that I would replay for all the unlockable content and other cool stuff. But I found it really hard to go back. In fact, I think I have to go back to REmake and Eternal Darkness on GC if I had to name the last games I replayed to any degree of thoroughness. Scary huh? Or maybe I am just getting old and have less time to replay the same game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the only story based, single player games i've replayed this gen are halo 1 and 2. both of which i've replayed through many many times.

Tain

No, I generally don't.

Unless there's a year gap between playthroughs, perhaps.

edit: save for arcade ports, of course.

Scary huh?

No, not at all. Frankly, I'm baffled as to why anybody would feel obligated to replay games. Or even play games, for that matter.

blackadde

Arcade ports (Ikaruga, SF3, KoF, Golden Axe, AvP, etc), and strategy games (WC3). The first because it's a dying breed of mindless, twitchy fun, and the second because the games are just so damn deep. Not to mention the mod potential (DotA).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Red Scarlet said:
All the time, just how I like it. I like getting my money's worth. :)

*high five*

I think I actually replay RPGs more than any other type of game (barring the arcadey types, obviously.) Take that, Electrii. ;p

evil ways

I usually get a craving to replay certain games when a sequel is about to be released, for example GTA. I replayed both GTA3 and Vice City right before San Andreas came out.

I also replay games after a lot time of not having played them, like recently I started replaying Parasite Eve 2.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
NFS:HP2 - Best arcade racer this gen IMO. I played through it on both GC and PS2 (they're almost two different games) It's the only racer I keep going back to this gen.
TimeSplitters 2 - Multiplayer kept me coming back. It had a lot of unlockable content in the arcade mode, so I put quite a bit of time into it unlocking everything
Ikaruga - What a fantastic game. I don't know how many times I beat this game. I've got Gradius V, but haven't had time to play it yet. Can't wait to get into it
Castlevania:CotM - I beat this game several times. It's a lot of fun to level up and find all the powerups.

Edit: Some older games I still go back to:
Contra - NES
Mario 3 - NES (Mario All Stars SNES)
Super Metroid - SNES
Donkey Kong Country - SNES
Mario 64 - N64
Zelda OoT - N64
World Driver Chapionship - N64

The idea of owning a good game, but only playing through it once is foriegn to me. I bet I own more games that I never completed and never tried than games that I beat once and then ditched.

If it is a game that I can form an attachment to, I will replay it every year or so to try and re-affirm that attachment and repeat the experience that made the game special to me in the first place.

Sometimes, not only do I really like the game, but I feel there is more to unlock or a more complete way to finish it, and will re-play with this in mind.

Any good single player experience, nearly without fail, spurs an instant replay, which often get abandoned about halfway through. It's often interesting to see how different the early sections of an adventure are once you are skilled enough to complete the later sections.

And sometimes the damn game is just fun. So I play it again.

I dare anybody to only play RE4 once.

Ironclad

I replay games all the time. Of course arcade games and puzzle games, those are given but other games I tend to replay quite often as well. It all depends on the backlog of games that I have and how good the game is but I try to work time in so that I can replay a game as many times as I want.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Red Scarlet said:
All the time, just how I like it. I like getting my money's worth. :)

yep...i replay mostly action games though. i dont believe in replaying RPGs (mostly cause they're too damn long and I lose interest about a hour into it)

Ironclad

M3wThr33 said:
Ratchet & Clanks get better with each playthrough.
Indeed, but that's because it gets harder and you can upgrade your weapons even further. It's kind of sad though that you have to replay the game multiple times to actually start to get some difficulty out of it.

Sometimes it seems all I do is replay games, and leave the new ones out waiting in the cold...

That is until I play and beat the new ones and then they get replayed as well.

Action, RPG, SRPG... I replay them all.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Often. My highest replay amounts are Jet Grind Radio 25+, Pikmin 20+, Tenchu Stages 1-8 30+ times.

If a game isn't worth replaying, chances are I'll get rid of it eventually, unless it has some novelty like a great soundtrack (Why I'm keeping JSRF, plus it's worth nothing.)

The longer a game is, the more time I'll need before replaying it, even if I love the game like Zelda Oot or Suikoden.

DCX

DCX
Hmmm...i don't replay many games becuase i have so many, that i have a backlog of games i want to get to. I have finished some games multiple time regardless of how huge my backlog has gotten here's the list from what i can think of right now.

- Sonic Adventure (played it through at least 5 times)
- The Sword of Beserk (played through something like 6 times, i loved this game )
- Final Fantasy VII
- Resident Evil
- Halo
- Metal Gear Solid
- Super Mario World
- Evolution
- Space Channel 5
- Gex: Enter The Gecko

And some others i can't quite remember but the list is pretty short, there a ton of games i want to replay again and will do so, as soon as i can find the time.

DCX

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Mikazuki said:
Often. My highest replay amounts are Jet Grind Radio 25+, Pikmin 20+, Tenchu Stages 1-8 30+ times.

If a game isn't worth replaying, chances are I'll get rid of it eventually, unless it has some novelty like a great soundtrack (Why I'm keeping JSRF, plus it's worth nothing.)

The longer a gamer is, the more time I'll need before replaying it, even if I love the game like Zelda Oot or Suikoden.

yeah, thanks for reminding me, i did replay all the way through jsrf.

for the record, i'll often start a game after finishing, or replaying it again later for fun. but it is very rare that i play through a game till the end more then once.

I replayed DMC about 7 times when I first got it...but that probably was mostly due to it being a relatively short game, and finally having a good action game for PS2. Plus it gave you and incentive to beat it multiple times.

There are certain older games I always go back to and have replayed to many times to count - FF6, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown 2, Neo Turf Masters, etc...

Pimpbaa

I replay my favorite games all the time. If I never have a desire to replay a particular game, then I consider it a bad game.

Ranger X

Well, this gen i was more busy so there's less time for videogames in my life. I'm always playing new games as those are of course the priority.

There is some exeptions though.

Suikoden - i complete it once a year or so
Super Metroid - every year
Super Mario Bros 3 - 3 or 4 times a year
Link To The Past - pretty much every year
Super Mario Karts - one player go through, 3-4 times a year

I also go back at most my old NES games once in a while or in-between 2 current games.
I need my quick fix of Rad Racer 2 and Castlevania pretty much every week.

In all this i'm not including games i play with my buddies, you know those games that are kinda made to be replayed all the time like Gradius 3 for instance.

Xenon

too many to list

8Bit - alot
16Bit - less
32Bit - a few
current gen - PSO(more than I should) & Halo. On my list for a second go through NG, GoW, and Gothic II(I used potion quick key which is disable by default so I guess the first time doesn't really count =P)

Jado

Banned
Recently replayed RE4 once. I struggled with it though. I was getting impatient/bored and just rushing through it with the Chicago Typewriter (surprisingly not fun compared to playing with limited ammo). It's a great game, but I don't get how some people managed to play through it 5 times plus. Then again, I did play through REmake some four times.

I usually replay games not for bonus content or whatnot, but to "master" them.

Having said that, it should come to no suprise that I've replayed DMC1, Ninja Gaiden, and DMC3 MANY times over. Just-Parrying "One-Hit Killing" Cerberus in less than 20 seconds on Dante Must Die mode DMC3 is all the "incentive" I need.

I never replay games at all. No game has replay value in it for me unless it has multiplayer. Even in the GTAs once I beat them I wont touch them again.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat smb 3 twice over and I'm going to do it again once I beat fire emblem. I beat monkey ball 1 about 70 times over on expert before I unlocked master as well. I'll never replay an adventure/story based game though. I'll mainly replay more 2d platformers or score based games.

LakeEarth

Depends on how fun the game was, and how long it takes to beat. I loved Super Metroid and beat it again and again cause it only takes a few hours to beat (assuming you know where to go). However, Metroid Prime 2 takes a long time (cause you have to keep collecting these fricken keys) that I'm sure when I finally beat it, I'll never touch it again

I also replayed RE4, but that's just one of those games that just grab you and you just can't get enough of them.

Barrage

I replay plenty of games. But then again, I prefer games that are between 10-20 hours in length. I'll take a shorter, more contained adventure over a long, drawn out one anytime(barring Square games for some reason.)

Anyway, here are the games I have replayed this generation:
-Metal Gear Solid 2
-Viewtiful Joe
-Final Fantasy X
-Kingdom Hearts
-Jade Empire
-Killer 7
-Spider-Man: The Movie
-Metroid Prime
-Metal Gear Solid 3

That's all I can think of, off of the top of my head.

Madame M

Banned
For some reason I used to think it was fun to replay FFT a lot.

Because it IS fun. It is however a gigantic waste of other games' time.

Tarazet

I extracted every drop of juice out of three games: Monster Rancher, Monster Rancher 2, and Final Fantasy VII. THOUSANDS of hours went into these games, and that is no exaggeration. Even today, if I decide on a lark to pick any of them up for old time's sake, I'll play it for a week solid. The chemistry in these games just clicked with me perfectly, and I wanted to do everything. If I could click that well with a game like Jade Empire, then I wouldn't need an ever-changing library of roughly 20 titles...

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
There are some games where re-play is almost better than first play. Where knowing where everything is, and thinking about how to deal with it is better than the discovery of things in the first place.

That type of game seems to be coming around less these days, but that's just as likely due to the fact that most of us have way too much else to do. And WAY WAY too many games. We are spoiled, aren't we:)

Goldeneye was the last game that I played through dozens of times. I player Fable 3 times. MGS2 3 times. Halo 1 3 times (twice co-op)...

I want more re-play next gen. More leaderboards would help... competition is a good thing. Driving games get replay of course... as do many sports games.

Reilly

Recently, I've played through God of War 3 times. Metal Gear Solid games are always worth to play through again because there's always some new stuff you can see or do.

Morrowind. Damn that Morrowind. Beat the sucker, waited a year, and played it again. Ate up two complete summers.

Damn Morrowind.

AniHawk

Barring Super Mario, Sonic, and other various platformers and multiplayer games, I have replayed to their completion:

Pokemon Red- Friend dropped his GB when he borrowed my cart full of Pokemon, (that included a level 99 Charizard) which erased the data. So I played again and finally caught all the Pokemon in the game.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater- Just too good to beat once. I picked it up, and in one night replayed the entire thing (while skipping cutscenes and looking for secrets). Will probably do it again with Subsistence.

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando- Beat this 5 times, spending 60 hours on it. Stopped on my 6th playthrough as I had basically done EVERYTHING in the game and was sick of it.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic- Just so I could do light/dark side

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II- see above

Fable- see above

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening- Just too good to do once. Played through it twice, my first game to go through twice, and my first Zelda. Looking forward to a third go with DX.

Star Fox 64- Just addictive. Replayed it over and over.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time- Immediately replayed upon completion and beat it again. Replayed it a second time to the water temple on someone else's save file, and I beat it a second time while playing Master Quest.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker- played it all again last year, just so I could see its complete ending. No complaints

Basically I don't usually replay many games. The former part of the above exceptions tend to be games I have restarted multiple times, but beaten once, though wouldn't mind still going back to. I have a feeling I'll play Twilight Princess more than once as well.

Top Bottom