• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Windows 12 May Require a Subscription

Draugoth

Gold Member

Microsoft is reportedly considering releasing Windows 12 as a subscription service.

As Neowin reports, an INI configuration file in the Windows Canary channel, discovered by German website Deskmodder, includes references to a "Subscription Edition," "Subscription Type," and a "subscription status."

We currently have two main versions of Windows 11 - Home and Professional, which cost a set price and include free updates for the lifetime of the operating system. It looks as though Microsoft may change that for Windows 12, with the upfront cost replaced by an ongoing subscription charge that would limit access to features based on the subscription tier chosen.

For preconfigured desktop PCs and laptops that ship with Windows 12 preinstalled, it would allow manufacturers to lower their prices as Microsoft would likely let them install Windows 12 for free knowing that the person buying the system would need to pay a subscription.

We currently have two main versions of Windows 11 - Home and Professional, which cost a set price and include free updates for the lifetime of the operating system. It looks as though Microsoft may change that for Windows 12, with the upfront cost replaced by an ongoing subscription charge that would limit access to features based on the subscription tier chosen.

For preconfigured desktop PCs and laptops that ship with Windows 12 preinstalled, it would allow manufacturers to lower their prices as Microsoft would likely let them install Windows 12 for free knowing that the person buying the system would need to pay a subscription.

If this turns out to be the case, we also need to consider the possibility of Microsoft offering a free tier and forcing the user to view ads placed throughout the Windows 12 experience.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you lucky enough to work at a company that offers full feature copies for dirt cheap (HUP home use program), do it. Ask your IT dept if t]your company gets access I dont know if they still do but I got a copy of MS Office 2019 Professional for less than $20. And I did it before for an older version of Office for like $15 ten years ago. Googling it, it seems sites offer downloads straight up for the same heavy discount. But I dont know how legit those sites are though.

As for paying for an OS sub plan, forget it. Just milk W11 with free updates. At some point they'll kill off W11 ten years from now, but cross the bridge then what to do.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lol get fucked Microsoft. I said it several times they were clearly laying the framework for this and was laughed at but it's clearly happening.
No surprise there. Software is a sub plan long term game as soon as the cmpany realizes the incremental improvements arent worth the average person upgrading for full price. Adobe went sub plan years ago at around $20/mth. I dont follow the arts and creative industry, but you'd think people would be up in arms. Turns out Adobe is at record high sales and profits and pretty close to record stock price. Sub planning Photoshop worked.

Puscifer

No surprise there. Software is a sub plan long term game as soon as the cmpany realizes the incremental improvements arent worth the average person upgrading for full price. Adobe went sub plan years ago at around $20/mth. I dont follow the arts and creative industry, but you'd think people would be up in arms. Turns out Adobe is at record high sales and profits and pretty close to record stock price. Sub planning Photoshop worked.
It got a lot of people who would normally pirate, even businesses, on board with something reasonable so it made sense especially considering that it's actually cheaper long term in some ways than buying full licenses for each version.

An entire operating system, though, is complete bullshit. As much I hate Linux for a lot of things I do I think it's time people should seriously start looking at alternatives if this comes to fruition IF THE ALTERNATIVES WORK FOR YOU (Lord knows mentioning Linux might work for some people starts a fight) because I'm not shelling out a subscription for what amounts to a bootloader for steam.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They raised MS 365 prices this year and that already pissed people off. They’ll stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025, forcing people to go to Windows 11. What a mess if they do. I could imagine people combining their Office, Windows, and mail into one license.

At some point, you could just find another OS for your business.

I installed Windows 11 on a computer and it took nearly a week to remove the walled garden safe mode they have by default that prevents installation of programs outside of its store. I hope Windows 10 is supported by software developers for at least the next 2 decades, because I sure as hell do not want to downgrade to the new Windows versions they are putting out.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’ll just stay on windows 11 for as long as possible in that case. Hopefully developers would be sympathetic and keep supporting windows 11 for game releases even if MS tries to kill it.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Time to start hopping between Linux desktop distributions that are good for a year or two before the graduate student maintaining it gets bored or gets a job.

Goalus

They raised MS 365 prices this year and that already pissed people off. They’ll stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025, forcing people to go to Windows 11.
Strange that on Android devices the complaint is always that there are not enough updates to the latest OS version. On PC the complaint seems to be that there are too many updates to the latest OS version because the older the OS, the better it is.

winjer

Gold Member
Strange that on Android devices the complaint is always that there are not enough updates to the latest OS version. On PC the complaint seems to be that there are too many updates to the latest OS version because the older the OS, the better it is.

That is just non-sense that ignores what is really going on.
The issue with Android is that most brands just release updates for one of two years, leaving many users without even the most basic security updates.

The issue with Windows is that most of it's updates are to add bloatware and spyware.
Windows 10 and 11, by default have way too much crap pre-installed. And a decent amount of it, can only be removed with advanced PowerShell commands.
And then there are things that if removed break the OS.
But the worst part is MS using users as beta testers. Too many updates are released into the Release Channel, riddled with bugs.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Microsoft has always had a chip in the shoulder in regards to how they monetize windows.

They saw valve taking a chunk off each game sold, they saw ios and android taking a chunk off every transaction... and they regret they never monetized windows.

It's not the first time they move to aggresively monetize windows, and so far they've relented but at some point they'll succumb to temptation.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It got a lot of people who would normally pirate, even businesses, on board with something reasonable so it made sense especially considering that it's actually cheaper long term in some ways than buying full licenses for each version.
I see it from another angle, Adobe is not able to justify the value of a new version of photoshop and they want a sure and recurring revenue stream while their R&D was more and more streamlined and delivering only small incremental improvement making their previous business model problematic.

Not everyone updated their software every time a new major version arrived (which was also less frequent)… now, if you do stop paying for a month you lose everything. This is bad also for non professionals who want to learn or those that want to keep their costs controlled, but before we realise deaths by thousand subscriptions is a problem it will be difficult to react.

Drew1440

Wonder how OEMs like Dell are going to react to this? Personally this will push me to switching to macOS, unless Apple pulls the same shut.

Goalus

That is just non-sense that ignores what is really going on.
The issue with Android is that most brands just release updates for one of two years, leaving many users without even the most basic security updates.

The issue with Windows is that most of it's updates are to add bloatware and spyware.
Windows 10 and 11, by default have way too much crap pre-installed. And a decent amount of it, can only be removed with advanced PowerShell commands.
And then there are things that if removed break the OS.
But the worst part is MS using users as beta testers. Too many updates are released into the Release Channel, riddled with bugs.
iOS and Android as well have a lot of bloatware preinstalled that can't be removed. I don't want to use Safari, Chrome, the App Store etc. For some reason that doesn't seem to be a problem.

winjer

Gold Member
iOS and Android as well have a lot of bloatware preinstalled that can't be removed. I don't want to use Safari, Chrome, the App Store etc. For some reason that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Non-sense again. Of course that is a problem.
But at least on Android, with most phones, all those apps can be removed with ADB.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Hopefully when the hot takes and virtue signaling are over we can talk about scenarios where subscriptions could make sense and where they wouldn't. Nothing about this suggests a subscription-only model to me, but I guess no actual info means that the worst case must be true.

Windows is not free and because of how it is licensed it doesn't provide much flexibility for short term or temporary use cases. There have been plenty of times where I just needed a Windows box short term but I had to pay for the full license. The only good short term option right now seems to be cloud servers, but for some applications you don't want to risk your data by funneling through some cloud provider. Virtualizing it on my own hardware still requires tricky licensing. I'd love a simple monthly subscription for when I just need a couple more nodes that I can turn off later.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Adobe products aren't essential to regular users and only people who actually make a living by using this software are the target audience. It works for them because they have established themselves among consumers who can afford it and make it so that these recurring fees are paying for themselves. Windows is an essential piece of software for every PC user, both professional and casual, so you can definitely expect a huge backlash if Microsoft goes through with this plan and puts a subscription fee on it. No one will want to pay a recurring fee just to be able to use their 4000 dollar computer, that sounds fucking absurd.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
OEMs like Dell don't really care about the OS.
They just care about selling a machine. And they pack it with as much trial software as they can, to get sponsored deals from other companies.
This is why some of these OEM PCs sometimes come with 2 or 3 anti-virus solutions pre-installed. And a ton of crap.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Whelp...I'll be on Win11 for a while if that's the case.
And should seriously consider a Linux distro which plays games the best like the Steam Deck OS.

This feels of control and unnecessary tension will persist.

Microsoft's vision of this sucks and they'll buy their way to things like success on consoles but that will not fly with PC.

Sorry but until there's some solid detail, I will stay on 11 and definitely investigate alternatives.

That's the beauty of choice. Not forcing to pay for a service like the basic necessity of operating systems.

Top Bottom