• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican Who Made Human Shields Remark Copied Speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Gibbons said:
"We are all here tonight because men and women of the United States military have given their lives for our freedom," Gibbons continued. "We are here tonight not because of Rosie O'Donnell, Martin Sheen, George Clooney, Jane Fonda or Phil Donahue - they never sacrificed their lives for us or for liberty."

Gibbons said it was not movie stars but soldiers and sailors that defended freedom in the deserts of Iraq, the jungles of Vietnam, the sands of Iwo Jima and the beaches of Normandy.

"I say we tell those liberal, tree-hugging, Birkenstock-wearing, hippie, tie-dyed liberals to go make their movies and their music and whine somewhere else," Gibbons said to another burst of applause.

He said if they lived in Iraq or Afghanistan, "Ironically they would be put to death at the hands of Saddam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden."

Gibbons brought the crowd to near feverish pitch when he hit the hot button issue of abortion.

"I want to know how these very people who are against war because of loss of life can possibly be the same people who are for abortion?" Gibbons said. "They are the same people who are for animal rights, but they are not for the rights of the unborn."

He said that they are the same people who wanted to go to Iraq and become human shields for the enemy.

"I say it's just too damn bad we didn't buy them a ticket," Gibbons said.

Laughter rippled through the room, mingled with more applause.

Beth Chapman said:
I’m here tonight because men and women of the United States military have given their lives for my freedom. I am not here tonight because Sheryl Crowe, Rosie O’Donnell, Jane Fonda or Phil Donahue, sacrificed their lives for me.
Tonight, I say we should support the President of the United States and the U.S. military and tell the liberal, tree hugging, hippy, Birkenstock wearing, tie-dyed liberals to go make their movies and music and whine somewhere else.

After all, if they lived in Iraq, they wouldn’t be allowed the freedom of speech they’re being given here today - - ironically, they would be put to death at the hands of Sadam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden.

I want to know how the very people who are against war because of the loss of life, can possibly be the same people who are for abortion?

They are the same people who are for animal rights but against the rights of the unborn.

The movie stars say they want to go to Iraq and serve as human shields for the Iraqis, I say let them buy a one-way ticket and go.
If they want to be human shields, I say let them shield the men and women of honesty and integrity who epitomize courage and embody the spirit of freedom by wearing the proud uniforms of the United States Military. Those are the people who have earned and deserve shielding.

http://atrios.blogspot.com/2005_02_27_atrios_archive.html#110988204115622588

I feel like that chicken rancher in Napoleon Dynamite: "I don't understand a word you just said."

so is this a bad thing in that something will happen? it doesn't seem like it, soooo....

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Gibbons said it was not movie stars but soldiers and sailors that defended freedom in the deserts of Iraq, the jungles of Vietnam, the sands of Iwo Jima and the beaches of Normandy.

Sailors... in the desert? ;)

Camels are considered to be the boats of the desert incase you didnt know.

Because they're full of Iraqi seamen!

BU DUM PISH

Tip yer fuckin' waitstaff, folks. I'll be here through Friday, recycling jokes from the previous Bush Administration and crying into my coke lines.

Drinky Crow said:
Because they're full of Iraqi seamen!

BU DUM PISH

Tip yer fuckin' waitstaff, folks. I'll be here through Friday, recycling jokes from the previous Bush Administration and crying into my coke lines.
:lol
Take my wife... please!

Apparently, Gibbons has apologized for taking the speech.
Chapman, a Republican, said Gibbons told her he did not realize the speech was copyrighted.

During his speech at Friday night's Lincoln Day Dinner, Gibbons did not mention that the speech had been written and previously delivered by Chapman.

"I don't remember where I got it," Gibbons said this morning. "I had no idea it was copyrighted."

*Snort* I'd like to copy my classmates' uncopyrighted lab reports.

tetsuoxb

Yawn.... hammy, buddy, you gotta get better material than this.

I am also in awe that the page you linked has the Harry Reid quote calling Greenspan a hack.
He was Fed chairman during the Clinton years and people were running to hump his leg and call him a genius. Attacking Alan Greenspan, who, giving passes to Republicans or not, has been the best Federal Reserve Chairman since Alexander Hamilton was President of the Bank of the USA is akin to attacking Mother Teresa.

However, Im sure you are just happy to hear it since all conservatives must be punished.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Do those insults actually insult anyone?

Like, do liberals hear the words "Tree hugger" and all of a sudden want to go slap someone?

I just think there's a problem with people supporting a war who are unwilling to go themselves, or send their loved ones themselves. If it was McCain saying we needed to go to Iraq, nobody would care because he's been in that situation, and has had it worse than any soldier over there probably will. But not Bush...

OpinionatedCyborg said:
If you didn't write it, then someone else obviously did, and therefore it's protected by copyright. Idiot.
Whoops my bad.

tetsuo: My guess that the reason why Greenspan was called a hack was because he called for SS privatization while not emphasizing the deficit. BTW, this "material" was created when Gibbons took another person's speech.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
"I want to know how these very people who are against war because of loss of life can possibly be the same people who are for abortion?" Gibbons said. "They are the same people who are for animal rights, but they are not for the rights of the unborn."

I always get so annoyed at this sort of lumping mentality... from all sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom