• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Requiem for a Dream has the greatest soundtrack ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

B00004Y6Q5.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Say what you will about the movie itself, but the soundtrack is frickin' awesome. So atmospheric and moody. Every time something bad starts happening to me, certain parts of the soundtrack start to play in my head. I've been spinning this a lot the past couple days. If you haven't heard it, I highly rcommend looking for it.

Anyone else got some recommendations on soundtracks that stand well without having to have seen the films associated with them?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
White Man said:

Say what you will about the movie itself, but the soundtrack is frickin' awesome. So atmospheric and moody. Every time something bad starts happening to me, certain parts of the soundtrack start to play in my head. I've been spinning this a lot the past couple days. If you haven't heard it, I highly rcommend looking for it.

Agreed.

An incredibly memorable soundtrack. And listening to the album away from the film makes you appreciate it even more. The way it gets progressively darker and more hopeless is brilliant.

I found the Amelie soundtrack to be pretty good, and I've never bothered with the movie.

Brotherhood of the Wolf OST kind of jumps around, and I like that.

Then there's wacky Hollywood stuff that I enjoy more than the movies - Pirates of the Caribbean, M:I2.

If you liked the Requiem soundtrack, I suggest tracking down some Alberto Ginastera. Requiem's OST reminded me a lot of his string quartets.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Lynch soundtracks. But I'm sure you already have them.

Twin Peaks for sure.

But Lost Highway's score is a mindfuck. Awesome stuff.

I guess anything Angelo Badalamenti.

White Man said:

Anyone else got some recommendations on soundtracks that stand well without having to have seen the films associated with them?

Clint Mansell is awesome. He's apparently pretty close to Requiem's director.
I loved PWEI (Pop Will Eat Itself, the band he was a part of prior to a 1995 break-up). Damn shame they broke up. They signed on Reznor's NOTHING label, put out Dos Dedos Mis Amigos (which rocked), and sadly didn't have another album after that.

I really enjoy Clint's movie score work, but I miss his voice. He has such a great voice! :)

ToxicAdam

My wife has a copy of "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" in her car right now.

I don't know what else to say about that.

d3765600k4p.jpg

White Man

Tabris said:
Never listened to the soundtrack, but isn't it basically just the Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter songs?

Yes it is, but they're great. The seasonal songs are all subtle variations on the same set of musical themes. The Summer versions are all slightly more optimistic, and the themes get darker as the seasons progress.

It's 33 songs in 50 minutes. You're never given the same thing for too long. It's a great listen.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm shocked this hasn't been mentioned yet.

B00000JJMA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

SO FUCKING GOOD. SOOOOO GOOD. I've pretty much worn the movie out after seeing it in the theatre, but the soundtrack still reigns supreme. Awesome.

EDIT: Fuck, beaten while finding a cover shot. >:|

White Man

robojimbo said:
Mansell's songs on the Pi soundtrack are great too, if not quite up to par with what he did on RfaD. I still highly recommend given them a listen if you like his other stuff.

I'm having trouble locating the Pi soundtrack (or the movie for that matter). I remember it having a pretty great soundtrack, too.

Fight Club's is pretty good.

I forgot to mention Run, Lola, Run. Another great one.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
White Man said:
I'm having trouble locating the Pi soundtrack (or the movie for that matter). I remember it having a pretty great soundtrack, too.

Fight Club's is prett good.

I forgot to mention Run, Lola, Run. Another great one.
Pi soundtrack is long out of print, I nabbed it at Best Buy really luckily a few years ago. Movie should be all over. If you can't find it I can nab it for you for like < $10 pretty easily.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
'coney island dreaming' is awesome. especially coming right after the party track on the album.

7imz

My Absolute Favorite -> Road to perdition

also

bourne identity
bourne supremacy
mr and mrs smith

(in general i like john powell)...

beautiful mind
pirates of hte caribbean

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The soundtrack is indeed awesome. I was excited when I saw the Two Towers trailer with a brand new composition of the Requiem theme used.

Ben-Hur by Miklós Rozsa. By the way, i-pods are dumb. Bus rides should be spent either reading, solving math problems or surreptitiously gawking at your fellow passengers, all of which deserve your full concentration.

etiolate

Banned
Yeah, the Pi soundtrack is also real good stuff. Clint Mansell also did the soundtrack for Abondon and it's worth a listen as well.

Scotch

B00007J8C7.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00005TPFV.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Best soundtracks ever made. Ever.

Also great:

Air - The Virgin Suicides
John Ottman - The Usual Suspects
John Powell - Bourne Identity
David Holmes - Ocean's Eleven

Polari

Clint Mansell is awesome, he's doing "The Fountain" too which is cool. I remember his score for "The Hole" being one of the only good things about that film, might be worth a look in.

Aside from that, the scores to shit like "The Rock" other ridiculously overblown action films are really great to listen to in your iPod/Walkman/whatever while out of the house. There's just something unbelievably funny and surreal about listening to those sort of scores while sitting on the bus, with everyone else oblivious to the insane shit going on in your headphones.

lexy

Scotch said:
B00007J8C7.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00005TPFV.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Best soundtracks ever made. Ever.

Never saw/heard a Beautiful Mind but I second that Solaris recommendation. I mentioned it in a recent "what are you listening to" topic too. I don't think there has ever been as great as a disparity between the quality of the movie and the quality of the soundtrack as there was with Solaris.

Gibbo

I prefer anything that's given the 'epic' treatment. Stuff like Dragonheart, the Patriot, Braveheart, Apollo 13.

If you want to hear the best action que ever composed, listen to Bryan Tyler's 'Summon the Worms' in the Children of the Dune OST. It somehow manages to stand out in an already awesome soundtrack

fart

Savant
Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
Ben-Hur by Miklós Rozsa. By the way, i-pods are dumb. Bus rides should be spent vigorously dry humping your fellow passengers through your flannel thrift-store wear.
FIXED

acidviper

Banned
Star Wars OT is by far the best and most memorablt. But Clint Mansell does some good shit for Aronofsky. I like the Pi soundtrack a little more than the RFaD.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Nothing can top Star Wars. Anything else is an incorrect answer.

Some other of my favorite scores are Aliens (Horner), Batman (Elfman), Brazil (Kamen), Dawn of the Dead (Goblin), Die Hard (Kamen), Doctor Zhivago (Jarre), Edward Scissorhands (Elfman), El Cid (Rozsa), Fight Club (Dust Brothers), Good, Bad, and the Ugly (Morricone), Jaws (Williams), King Kong (Steiner), On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Barry), Once Upon a Time in the West (Morricone), Predator (Silvestri), Punch-Drunk Love (Brion), Sea Hawk (Korngold), Searching for Bobby Fisher (Horner), Stargate (Arnold), Taxi Driver (Herrmann), Twin Peaks (Badalamenti), Usual Suspects (Ottman), Vertigo (Herrmann), Wyatt Earp (Newton Howard), and Young Sherlock Holmes (Broughton).

But my current favorite that plays nonstop on my iPod is James Horner's brilliant score to Krull. The opening track is orgasmic and it's a shame so few people have heard it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
TJ Bennett said:
Some other of my favorite scores are Aliens

i love this soundtrack (also my favourite movie) - the track 'dark discovery' (i think that's the name..) is fantastic :)

Solo

They're called scores you man who is white, not soundtracks!

When you get a random collection of shitty pop songs, then you've got a bonafide soundtrack!

Oh, and the lack of Morricone and Herrmann in this thread is extremely disturbing.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Has anyone else read the book Requiem for a Dream?

Man, I didn't think it could be more fucked up than the movie. Talk about a hard read.
How well Aronofsky translated it into a movie makes it even more amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom