• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Ban Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenon

Banned: (Permanent)
Using the term Strawman, which is non gender neutral term derived from a patriarchal society that engages in the use of false equivalencies.

Hudo

Did someone ever try to mention GAF over there? It would not surprise me if that warrants a ban.

Paltheos

As a regular ERA user, I really wouldn't have a problem with the moderation policy if it was at least consistent.

The turning point for me was some Valkyria Chronicles 4 topic on the gaming forum complaining about a butt grab in a game in 2019. I remember one guy in particular who was arguing a not so popular position and seemed to be talking all in good faith but got banned (perma? I don't remember)... while at the same time the topic was plastered with some pretty awful one-line posts "Fuck Japan", etc. and the moderation team had made a staff post making clear they were watching the topic closely.

The first few weeks on the site were really great and I still like visiting now but I have to post carefully allot of the time whenever I have a dissenting opinion and sometimes post disclaimers that I don't think I'd have to in a healthier environment. It's pretty disappointing. My fear is that the moderation policy has scared away allot of cool people and the result is the echoing chamber that I often find in many topics. I'm not sure there's a conscious bias in the staff, but they definitely clamp down harder on some positions over than others. Maybe there's a fear they'd come down hard on too many posts if they were consistent but that's a sign they should review policy, not back off on something that might not feel that bad to them personally lol

Now however, based off past anecdotes, I might need to be careful for a while as supposedly ERA users who posted on GAF complaining have gotten hit back on ERA.

Traianvs

As a regular ERA user, I really wouldn't have a problem with the moderation policy if it was at least consistent.

The turning point for me was some Valkyria Chronicles 4 topic on the gaming forum complaining about a butt grab in a game in 2019. I remember one guy in particular who was arguing a not so popular position and seemed to be talking all in good faith but got banned (perma? I don't remember)... while at the same time the topic was plastered with some pretty awful one-line posts "Fuck Japan", etc. and the moderation team had made a staff post making clear they were watching the topic closely.

The first few weeks on the site were really great and I still like visiting now but I have to post carefully allot of the time whenever I have a dissenting opinion and sometimes post disclaimers that I don't think I'd have to in a healthier environment. It's pretty disappointing. My fear is that the moderation policy has scared away allot of cool people and the result is the echoing chamber that I often find in many topics. I'm not sure there's a conscious bias in the staff, but they definitely clamp down harder on some positions over than others. Maybe there's a fear they'd come down hard on too many posts if they were consistent but that's a sign they should review policy, not back off on something that might not feel that bad to them personally lol

Now however, based off past anecdotes, I might need to be careful for a while as supposedly ERA users who posted on GAF complaining have gotten hit back on ERA.

TintedLankyChipmunk-max-1mb.gif

TTOOLL

https://resetera.kiwifarms.net/post/19451244

I just follow the bot

https://twitter.com/reseterabanbot?lang=en

https://resetera.kiwifarms.net/post/19424903
Published 2019-04-01Dr. Caroll (19424903)
EtcetEraThread Wkd Box Office - 3•29-31•19 - Elephant in the room ignored for $45M, Unplanned aborted after 1st day, McConaughey bums $1.8M, Carol still slays
Reason User Banned (Duration Pending): Misogynist rhetoric, Inflammatory false equivalencies to bigotry
Abortion is one of the great evils of modern civilization. A fundamental devaluing of human life as having value or merit outside of what it contributes to society. Having an anti-abortion message is a good thing, just as having an anti-racism message is a good thing. The more films that perpetuate these messages, the better. That doesn't make Unplanned a good film, however. It doesn't absolve it of criticism for being manipulative or the veracity of its subject matter being dubious. At best, one hopes it inspires actually good films about abortion and the people who dedicate themselves to the fight against it.​
Link: https://resetera.com//threads/wkd-b...s-1-8m-carol-still-slays.108765/post-19424903
Archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/2019040...hey-bums-1-8m-carol-still-slays.108765/page-5
Archive.is: https://archive.vn/8Z4CL

https://resetera.kiwifarms.net/post/19407692
BrucCLea13k87 (19407692)
EtcetEraThread 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary | OT | Biden Mulls Abrams as Running Mate
Reason User Banned (2 Weeks): Excusing sexual misconduct
We have a fucking serial rapist in the White House and people are freaking out about a peck on the back of the head?! Do we want Trump out or are we going to just kill each other over the next two years? Because if we are it's gonna be Trump in 2020.​
Link: https://resetera.com//threads/2020-...ls-abrams-as-running-mate.91234/post-19407692
Archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/2019040...n-mulls-abrams-as-running-mate.91234/page-379
Archive.is: https://archive.vn/c6KX1

Last edited:

Shifty

User Banned (6 months): Too many paragraphs, transparent attempt at using misdirection to confuse fellow members. Whataboutism.

Last edited:

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm not sure there's a conscious bias in the staff, but they definitely clamp down harder on some positions over than others.

The moderation staff is disproportionately militant sexual minorities.
I'm gay myself, so in a way I like seeing people willing to stand up for themselves, but they're holding their community essentially hostage, refusing to entertain other views even when reasonable and not doing their part to further representation by simply banning/deleting/ignoring every person who representation might change the mind of. ERA is building a safe space where nobody can grow and the representation doesn't matter since everyone who it might affect positively is barred from entry. It is basically the exact wrong way to try to further acceptance of a marginalized community. Homosexuality is 10-15% of the population. Transgendered is less than 1%. Why is the moderation staff stacked with militant transgenders who act as though they are the world's only and most pressing issue? If the staff was 90% gay and constantly moderated on the basis of perceiving everything as "homophobia" I'd be just as annoyed. It makes the community they claim to champion look pathetic.

I'm tired of being told that, as "an LGBT" I must support transgendered individuals unquestioningly. In 2019, trans individuals are unquestionable even in topics that have nothing to do with sexual or gender identity. Like different pizza toppings than a transman? TRANSPHOBIA! I don't want anyone to feel bad or belittled or left behind, but I also think that people need to wait until they reach mental maturity before they start making decisions involving drastic and irreversible surgical changes to their bodies. Apparently that's ban worthy "transphobia."

I'm not "afraid" of trans people. What I'm afraid of is young and emotional people at risk for self-harm and suicide making irreversible alterations to themselves, not having it solve the underlying depression or issue, and then being trapped. If you feel you need to fundamentally change who you are because you're unhappy as yourself, that's fine - but wait until you've actually stopped developing and aren't afflicted by teenage hormones so that you can experience your mature body and then decide if you feel "right" in it. Teenagers always feel out of place and awkward in their bodies. It's one of the defining traits of that whole age period. You can't just change genders the way you change clothes.

Last edited:

SoulUnison

Banned
That wouldn’t get you banned, that would get you promoted to moderator.

I have seen people make the nearly the same word-for-word post just with the words "white" and "black" swapped, for example:

"Slang is ruined once white people use it."
"Slang is ruined once black people use it."

The former was untouched and many posted in agreement.
The latter was banned.

If it's racist in one direction, it's racist in both directions.
If your synopsis of racism in 2019 is "It's ok for whites (or insert-race-here) to feel bad, it's their turn" instead of "Nobody should ever feel demeaned or belittled based on their racial background" then congratulations: You're actually a racist just trying to twist the culture and semantics in a bid to gain social power! So you're racist and dishonest and manipulative. You sure hate racism... But not enough to avoid benefiting from it or using it for entertainment! You don't want racism to disappear, you just want to be the one in charge of it.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
That wouldn’t get you banned, that would get you promoted to moderator.
It would be funny if it wasn't actually true... The moderator Nepenthe has supported lyrics of a rapper about killing babies as unproblematic because they focused on killing "only white babies". Really that place is like Mental Illness - The Forum.

Last edited:

SoulUnison

Banned
If you really want to irk them, say GLBT and get ready for the outrage.

I don't even understand why "T" is part of the acronym, honestly.
If the above statistic are correct then the Trans community isn't actually that much smaller than the gay community.
They should strike out on their own and cultivate their own representation while getting to be in charge of their own message, rather than being a "sub-minority" of the "gay community."

After all, LGB is about who you love. T is about who you are.

They're fundamentally different experiences and I understand the communities melded for safety and strength in numbers, but it's frustrating being told by the Trans community that LGBs must simultaneously champion their rights to every corner of the globe while also sitting down and shutting up because how dare you speak for or over a trans person? Similarly, it must be frustrating for them to have to stay in step of a community that's much farther along politically and is starting to be able to "play it safe."

There's no way to win, and the worst agents enjoy it that way as they can play the victim no matter what.

Isn't the Q redundant in that sense?

A lot of people will say the "Q" is for "queer," but to me it's always been for "questioning," as in "I don't know what I am yet but I'm poking my head in to see if this seems a good fit."

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It would be funny if it wasn't actually true... The moderator Nepenthe has supported lyrics of a rapper about killing babies as unproblematic because they focused on killing "only white babies". Really that place is like Mental Illness - The Forum.

That's what I was referencing.

crowbrow

Banned
I don't even understand why "T" is part of the acronym, honestly.
If the above statistic are correct then the Trans community isn't actually that much smaller than the gay community.
They should strike out on their own and cultivate their own representation while getting to be in charge of their own message, rather than being a "sub-minority" of the "gay community."

After all, LGB is about who you love. T is about who you are.

They're fundamentally different experiences and I understand the communities melded for safety and strength in numbers, but it's frustrating being told by the Trans community that LGBs must simultaneously champion their rights to every corner of the globe while also sitting down and shutting up because how dare you speak for or over a trans person? Similarly, it must be frustrating for them to have to stay in step of a community that's much farther along politically and is starting to be able to "play it safe."

There's no way to win, and the worst agents enjoy it that way as they can play the victim no matter what.

A lot of people will say the "Q" is for "queer," but to me it's always been for "questioning," as in "I don't know what I am yet but I'm poking my head in to see if this seems a good fit."

It seems to me it's like a turned-on-its-head hierarchy. The most victim points you get the highest in the hierarchy you are inside the echochamber (or "safe space") and then pretty much all others down the pyramid (namely those with not so many victim points) are under your authority. It's like the philosopher Zizek says, current PC culture is like a totalitarian regime where they decide what is good for you and only them.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
The moderation staff is disproportionately militant sexual minorities.
I'm gay myself, so in a way I like seeing people willing to stand up for themselves, but they're holding their community essentially hostage, refusing to entertain other views even when reasonable and not doing their part to further representation by simply banning/deleting/ignoring every person who representation might change the mind of. ERA is building a safe space where nobody can grow and the representation doesn't matter since everyone who it might affect positively is barred from entry. It is basically the exact wrong way to try to further acceptance of a marginalized community. Homosexuality is 10-15% of the population. Transgendered is less than 1%. Why is the moderation staff stacked with militant transgenders who act as though they are the world's only and most pressing issue? If the staff was 90% gay and constantly moderated on the basis of perceiving everything as "homophobia" I'd be just as annoyed. It makes the community they claim to champion look pathetic.

I'm tired of being told that, as "an LGBT" I must support transgendered individuals unquestioningly. In 2019, trans individuals are unquestionable even in topics that have nothing to do with sexual or gender identity. Like different pizza toppings than a transman? TRANSPHOBIA! I don't want anyone to feel bad or belittled or left behind, but I also think that people need to wait until they reach mental maturity before they start making decisions involving drastic and irreversible surgical changes to their bodies. Apparently that's ban worthy "transphobia."

I'm not "afraid" of trans people. What I'm afraid of is young and emotional people at risk for self-harm and suicide making irreversible alterations to themselves, not having it solve the underlying depression or issue, and then being trapped. If you feel you need to fundamentally change who you are because you're unhappy as yourself, that's fine - but wait until you've actually stopped developing and aren't afflicted by teenage hormones so that you can experience your mature body and then decide if you feel "right" in it. Teenagers always feel out of place and awkward in their bodies. It's one of the defining traits of that whole age period. You can't just change genders the way you change clothes.

User banned (permanent): transphobia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom