• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyHorace

One of the most famous villains in cinema (Darth Vader) was voiced by a black man (James Earl Jones). How come there was no backlash against him when the character is supposed to be white?

main-qimg-580cee36483fb4ced6966fb4aa83d574

A voice is a fucking voice. It didn't matter to Lucas that Jones wasn't the same skin color as the character. The voice fit Vader and film history was made. Stop trying to limit what creators can do over some social justice nonsense.

104fe31d1bfffaa45fa73d4ede9ffc2d.jpg

tkscz

Why would they? What happens if they don't? I'd tell these children to fuck off and be done with it, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Most devs give in. Only two I can think of that didn't were ProjectCDRed and Nintendo. The other devs give in and usually "mess up" again in the eyes of SJWs and they never actually let go of any of the "transgressions" and still never buy the product.

EDarkness

I agree that they SHOULD try to get more ethnic people to do voices, just to add some diversity to the business. However, the voice actors themselves are just looking for work and if company X wants to hire a white person to play a black/hispanic/asian person, then that's just the company. Not sure what can be done, though. There are far more white people out there so odds are that's who's gonna get the job most of the time. As a black dude, it doesn't really bother me. I'd like to see more black folks get voice work, though.

I agree that they SHOULD try to get more ethnic people to do voices, just to add some diversity to the business. However, the voice actors themselves are just looking for work and if company X wants to hire a white person to play a black/hispanic/asian person, then that's just the company. Not sure what can be done, though. There are far more white people out there so odds are that's who's gonna get the job most of the time. As a black dude, it doesn't really bother me. I'd like to see more black folks get voice work, though.

Yes, if it was about black vas being kept out of the va business, that's an issue that can be talked about.

But that's not what this attack against chucklefish is. Here, a specific casting choice is being criticized.

So I agree with you, anyone who wants in the business ought to get the same chance. But a voice shouldn't be tied to same-looking vas. Any alien movie leads that ad absurdum anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Where's the campaign, you just linked to a thread talking about the announcement and people commenting in it. The first page is mostly fine (and I cba to read more of em). People can't voice opinions now because they will be labelled this or that radical group out for blood? I'm sure some individuals are radical but come on.

Edit: so the thread was barely 2 pages so I read them both and see nothing about any kind of a harassment campaign, just people voicing their opinion/concerns and most being fine with it "even if it's not a good look" or whatever they feel, some derailing about uncharted, that's about it. What are you talking about then? Weird.

Seems like you're even more eager to start shit over next to nothing than some of the people there or elsewhere honestly, how many replies did that thread even have when you thought to make your own thread on here if it had so few by the time I got around to reading it and responding here, lol? The thread title is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Kevin “Kawaidude420” Smith mutters to himself “You did good today” as he turns off his anime night light. Earlier today he sent a death threat on Twitter to a company that develops video games. They did something he doesnt agree with. He puts on his cpap machine and drifts off to sleep. Sleep well Kawaidude420, tomorrow awaits another day where you will improve the world.

Not even a harrassment campaign against them at all from what I've seen. Just a few disgruntled SJW-types going rabble rabble rabble in the twitter replies and ResetEra, and the developers rightly not replying to any of them at all!

hfQpOKS.png

How dare you voice actors take a job that'll put food on the table! Forgo getting paid for your talents so you can satiate my craving for social justice!

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Not even a harrassment campaign against them at all from what I've seen. Just a few disgruntled SJW-types going rabble rabble rabble in the twitter replies and ResetEra, and the developers rightly not replying to any of them at all!

hfQpOKS.png

How dare you voice actors take a job that'll put food on the table! Forgoe getting paid for your talents so you can satiate my craving for social justice!

How are people going to voice victional races from now on @wodnesse?! And what about animal characters? Does an actual cat have to voice a cat character?!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they should implement obligatory identity tags, including race, gender identity, and sexuality since so many of them seem to care more about the speaker and trying to infer motives based on their identity groups rather than what they are actually saying.

They could then even let posters check boxes to when creating threads to specify which identity groups are allowed to post in it to really allow for some safe spaces!

Last edited by a moderator:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Or they could just remove the text box for replies and replace it with a dropdown with a few standard allowed replies.

- that is racist / homophobic / transphobic / agist / nazi
- yas queen
- that is offensive to me and/or a group
- yikes
- I too love anime
- we need a summit

SNPlayen

Or they could just remove the text box for replies and replace it with a dropdown with a few standard allowed replies.

- that is racist / homophobic / transphobic / agist / nazi
- yas queen
- that is offensive to me and/or a group
- yikes
- I too love anime
- we need a summit
you missed "Oh sweet summer child"

Why didn't they say this about Horizon? Like every other npc was black, and a lot of the voices did not fit at all. The race of the VA doesn't matter, but it should match up somewhat. I had no issues with the VA of Nadine in Uncharted 4, because it matched up well enough to not take me out of it. Them making her a super human did that.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
This might be unpopular BUT- not sure why they just couldnt find POC voice actors? They exist out there.

Certainly not the worst thing theyve been called out for this year

Why do skin colours of voice actors matter -at all-? Black dude voicing white, white dude voicing black. Its the artistic choice of the developer what voice they want.

Jeeves

Maybe they should implement obligatory identity tags, including race, gender identity, and sexuality since so many of them seem to care more about the speaker and trying to infer motives based on their identity groups rather than what they are actually saying.

They could then even let posters check boxes to when creating threads to specify which identity groups are allowed to post in it to really allow for some safe spaces!
Give them another year or two and this will begin to unironically look like a good idea to them.

ahahhaha anyone that answers “yes” in that thread, you can 100% confirm they’ve never left their basement 😂

imagine asking someone their permission to sext lmao
Suddenly my idea for consent smart condoms is not such a bad idea....imagine your a celebrity and you want to have sex with a woman ...you would put on the condom with an rfid chip and the woman confirms via her biometric phone that she consents to being railed.....No more costly court cases or #metoo court cases.....just sweet consensual sex.

Where's the campaign, you just linked to a thread talking about the announcement and people commenting in it. The first page is mostly fine (and I cba to read more of em). People can't voice opinions now because they will be labelled this or that radical group out for blood? I'm sure some individuals are radical but come on.

Edit: so the thread was barely 2 pages so I read them both and see nothing about any kind of a harassment campaign, just people voicing their opinion/concerns and most being fine with it "even if it's not a good look" or whatever they feel, some derailing about uncharted, that's about it. What are you talking about then? Weird.

Seems like you're even more eager to start shit over next to nothing than some of the people there or elsewhere honestly, how many replies did that thread even have when you thought to make your own thread on here if it had so few by the time I got around to reading it and responding here, lol? The thread title is just ridiculous.

Go back to Resetera.

Gathering a harassment mob at the developer's Twitter is a campaign. It's what 'they' call it all the time when it happens to a 'good' person.

Fight back

This might be unpopular BUT- not sure why they just couldnt find POC voice actors? They exist out there.

Certainly not the worst thing theyve been called out for this year

You're assuming they didn't listen to black vas. They picked the best voices for the job. Entirely fair imo.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Go back to Resetera.

Gathering a harassment mob at the developer's Twitter is a campaign. It's what 'they' call it all the time when it happens to a 'good' person.

Fight back
I mean, this is just more bullshit, how do I go back to where I wasn't? Care to actually reply to what I actually said or? Well, I already got my answer I guess, lol, the pot calling the kettle black is your deal I guess.

Edit: I re-read it for your sake and nobody of the pitiful amount of people participating in that thread is telling anyone specific or in general to go on twitter and tell them off or anything of the sort (which itself wouldn't necessarily be/become an organized harassment campaign but would give you some benefit of the doubt).

Again, seems like you're even more eager to start shit over next to nothing than most of the people there or elsewhere honestly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I guess the tumblr nose artstyle wasn't enough to appease them.

legacyzero

Banned
Why do skin colours of voice actors matter -at all-? Black dude voicing white, white dude voicing black. Its the artistic choice of the developer what voice they want.
Sure. Artistic choice is why I dont lose my shit at people's outfits in games. Hysterically laugh at? Absolutely. But the artist made a choice.

I'm thinking authenticity. I picture a white dude trying to play Barret in FF7 Remake and automatically cringe. The artistic choice is there, along with the capacity of criticism for making the choice. But honestly, I'd prefer the authenticity of the black dude selling the role.

Edit: I mean, Louis in my Avatar, another great example

Last edited:

While I agree that the OP was a bit hyperbolic, reading the subtext here is fucking scary. Chucklefish is a small studio, if they didn't have the resources to go on a wild goose chase to fetch some black VAs, then people should understand that and not make it an issue. They have so much on their plate and they're trying to fucking survive, it's not up to them to MAKE THINGS RIGHT or shit. If it's EA? Ubisoft? Any large publisher/dev? Then MAYBE you can voice your concern about it. I wouldn't agree with it, I'd think you're being a sped, but I'd respect it as a valid stance. But this? They can go fuck themselves, curl up into a ball up their own ass and die like the fucking cancerous bitches they are.

ethomaz

Banned

There is actually one single comment fine in the whole thread lol

"Any person or any color should be able to voice any character if they do it well enough."

Everything else is bullshit hate done by people with preconditions.
People people there attack without know how the vas were chosen... to be fair they should show proof before start a nonsense gate.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Sure. Artistic choice is why I dont lose my shit at people's outfits in games. Hysterically laugh at? Absolutely. But the artist made a choice.

I'm thinking authenticity. I picture a white dude trying to play Barret in FF7 Remake and automatically cringe. The artistic choice is there, along with the capacity of criticism for making the choice. But honestly, I'd prefer the authenticity of the black dude selling the role.

Hey remember when Phil Lamarr voiced Vamp in a couple MGS games? What part of Africa is Romania in, again?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Companies need to stop "responding to criticism." Do you, and people can either like it or not. And that's kinda that. All you do by responding is give legitimacy to any madness.

The market will work itself out. If you do something egregious it'll show in sales.

zeorhymer

startrek-picard-facepalm-700x341.jpg

How do you know the color of the skin from listening to their voice?

Edit: To add fuel to the dumpster fire, every single JRPG has white people that voice over Asians. I hope Wargroove folks slap them upside the head.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Uncharted 4 have a white female be the voice actor for Nadine in the game? If so, I don't remember seeing anyone getting outraged over that.

ResetEra new radical innovative social justice move!

drumroll

Segregation!

Why hasn't anyone tried this before to maintain safe spaces?

(Wait. They did?! How did it end up?)

Last edited:

legacyzero

Banned
Hey remember when Phil Lamarr voiced Vamp in a couple MGS games? What part of Africa is Romania in, again?
I'm curious how many of those kinds of examples you have, versus the amount of examples like in the OP. I mean, I tried to avoid the whole privilege and minority argument because it feels like an easy out or placating the first thing Resetera would throw a shit fit and mass ban people who made the argument you just did. I'd forgotten about Phil Lamar. He NAILED Vamp.

But a quick google brought up just a handful, some I hadn't even known. Talented? Sure. But quite a lot.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Do we need a "news" thread about Resetera? Don't we have a thread about this in communities? This is hardly worth it.. and "Assturd"? Seriously?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom