• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet Club

Banned
dlMffgs.png

She can buy Cyberpunk now.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Fuck I had to go to Era to check it. I can't believe she's really asking people to donate to her and getting mad if people don't do it.

What a fucking garbage human being.

how dare you? she’s a woman and no nonsense! She’s entitled to your respect and money!

don’t you know that her volunteering is saving lives and making the world such a better place? Quick, someone call the Nobel Peace Prize committee as well.

Since Cerium isn’t acknowledging her time and effort administering the site, us unenlightened and uninformed saps must do so in his stead, to keep that ‘coffee’ flowing! That echo chamber isn’t going to keep echoing by itself you know.

Last edited:

Longcat

one post there said "The forum was never left wing, even if the bulk of the users likely identify that way."
Bro they were insta banning everyone that voted for Trump what the fuck are you saying
Yup, they've been saying it for years now. I actually think I literally laughed out loud when I saw it the first time.

GHG

Gold Member
I still don't understand how Era is actually worth 4.5 million? The ad revenue is that good?

Sold for about 7 times annual sales apparently which is quite punchy.

They must have something major planned, if not they will be very lucky to make that money back over the next 5 years considering the exodus this will cause.

RafterXL

I still don't understand how Era is actually worth 4.5 million? The ad revenue is that good?
It's not worth that much. It makes about 700k a year in ad revenue, but its userbase and pageviews have been declining. The only way this transaction makes sense is if the new owners decide to drastically change things.

one post there said "The forum was never left wing, even if the bulk of the users likely identify that way."
Bro they were insta banning everyone that voted for Trump what the fuck are you saying
These are the same mental midgets that were banning Hillary supporters on THIS site when they were pissing themselves because people had the audacity to support anyone but Bernie. The entire shitbird crew that made this place unreadable back then are who founded that place. The idea that they aren't left wing is laughable.

Sold for about 7 times annual sales apparently which is quite punchy.

They must have something major planned, if not they will be very lucky to make that money back over the next 5 years considering the exodus this will cause.
Thing is, with things like Reddit and Discord, how the hell they plan on making that money? Forums are not the money makers they were in the past.

I have a feeling this won't pay off and they will shut down the forum after two years.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Hopefully this means the end of that shitty hivemind forum, just annoying that the ringleader made out like an absolute bandit and has made seemingly close to $7mil overall.

Having said that, I think all the anger about mods etc not being paid is stupid. They willingly signed up to be volunteers. They knew there was no pay. The site making mass profits doesn't affect that in any way. Why would you pay people that are going to do it for free?

I hope EviLore is well enough off where this whole situation of this person becoming a millionaire from his creation being stolen out from under him doesn't bother him too much.

TransTrender

Gold Member
It's payback time off user's backs too. No balls to get pay from the new owners.

Nepenthe's donation link has about 30 people already at $5 each. And on Reeee he's already ragging on users to amp up donations when he first got it up and running.

ZLg6vam.jpg
FYI Neph is furry midget woman and they're going to feed this one to the wood chipper for that kind of sas.

holy hell just when i think this cant get any better :messenger_tears_of_joy: this is so bonkers. its like everything is revealing itself in the final act of this clown world story.

will the other mods follow? was it always about money? has it always been a scam? LET'S FIND OUT!

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live
Everyone donate 41 cents…:)

lYcOxV9.png

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Oh dude they’re gonna open registration so fast. Going to be like fucking N4G over there. I’m sure they will lose all their insiders. The fact that you can’t just click yeah I want to be here, get banned and make another account the same minute is one of the reasons I think leakers and insiders are willing to share information on these sites. That site is going to be a complete joke in 6 months.

NeoGAF had much higher insider engagement before the Blue Haired Mini Mouse Avatars took over. It's pretty telling how there's only maybe 1 or 2 real insiders there and they never leak shit anyways.

You also have a few rare company-men shills from some studios but again, nothing really valuable gets posted.

Insiders left, and they basically found Twitter was a better platform for their narcissism.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Dw4E1uG.png

$2,764.27 per post for Cerium. A tough gig.
I see he's a fan of the former from control.

"Former is an extradimensional being originating from the Astral Plane, implied to be a former member of the Board. Former possesses the power to control the nature of Altered Items and, by extension, is able to bestow paranatural abilities similar to those granted by binding Objects of Power."

This Nepethe guy must be raging so fucking hard inside. I guess this "comedic" side he is using now is just a mechanism to try and not explode in a million pieces.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This Nepethe guy must be raging so fucking hard inside. I guess this "comedic" side he is using now is just a mechanism to try and not explode in a million pieces.
Cerium: 4 years. Barely posted. $4.5M sell out + 4 years of annual profits to boot

Nepenthe: 4 years. Tons of posts. Mod. $140 in donations all done in the past 90 minutes

I wonder which guy made out best. lol

MrFunSocks

Banned
Thing is, with things like Reddit and Discord, how the hell they plan on making that money? Forums are not the money makers they were in the past.

I have a feeling this won't pay off and they will shut down the forum after two years.
Didn't we just find out that it was making $700k a year in ad revenue? That doesn't count as being a "money maker"?

MrFunSocks

Banned
The mods chose to volunteer knowing they wouldn't get paid, not because there was no money but just because it's not a job, it's a hobby that they're volunteering to do (and most likely enjoy having some power on the forum). Why is everyone saying that now they should get paid just because the site sold?

Resetera integration with The Last of Us 2 multiplayer is all I'm thinking of now.

The mods chose to volunteer knowing they wouldn't get paid, not because there was no money but just because it's not a job, it's a hobby that they're volunteering to do (and most likely enjoy having some power on the forum). Why is everyone saying that now they should get paid just because the site sold?
This is why you don't do shit for free.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn't we just find out that it was making $700k a year in ad revenue? That doesn't count as being a "money maker"?
That part is swept under the rug.

The latest year is $700k at 80% margin before taxes. So $560k before taxes. I dont know what US corporate tax rates are, but he probably pulled in a good $400k. Other years who knows as Reee had to ramp up, but surely he made money too in years 1-3. I'd estimate in totality, he banks $1 million net profit just on operations. Might be more, but I'll assume the earlier years were much lower.

And this operational profit is what could had been used to pay some mods. The final buy out price out of nowhere is technically different, but he'd surely be scoping out offers the past year and had an ide what he would make selling it off. But looks like he was a cheapskate to the final minute. Although to be fair, the mods didn't seem to want to get paid. Maybe Cerium offered, but if they put their hands back in their pockets, then he'd be like.... fuck it. I offered.

The $4.5M will get taxed. So it might be ballpark $3.3M net if he loses 25% to tax. So I'd estimate he's made a net profit of $4.3M or so after everything and all taxes paid.

Assuming I got my rates kind of right, he probably made out a net profit of somewhere between $4 - 5M.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

What's funny is that any semblance of community there - the detailed and rich OT's, the community threads that someone curates results for weekly or monthly to keep people engaged, the occasional thoughtful post - all persevere despite the mods, not because of them. The mods don't contribute in a positive way to any thread. Meanwhile they gleefully ban long time members who do actually provide value over petty personal reasons.

I'm glad those mods got grifted and will all be gone soon enough once this MOBA company moves forward with their plans. B-Dubs and the rest are delusional if they think any sane company would keep them around in any kind of deal. They can find unskilled volunteer labor to moderate for them, people who aren't emotionally fragile bullies at that.

Edit: I mean look at this, posted by nush:

UICA4Zf.png

Does anyone really expect a serious business to keep this aggressive, lacking in basic character person around to help run their new investment? Or Hecht or B-Dubs, who encourage such childish behavior? They're all going to be gone.

And honestly I don't mind Nepenthe trying to grift (she lacks the intellect or charm to really pull it off beyond a one-time collection of maybe several hundred bucks) - those users there deserve it for feeding her sensitive ego.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
That part is swept under the rug.

The latest year is $700k at 80% margin before taxes. So $560k before taxes. I dont know what US corporate tax rates are, but he probably pulled in a good $400k. Other years who knows as Reee had to ramp up, but surely he made money too in years 1-3. I'd estimate in totality, he banks $1 million net profit just on operations. Might be more, but I'll assume the earlier years were much lower.

And this operational profit is what could had been used to pay some mods. The final buy out price out of nowhere is technically different, but he'd surely be scoping out offers the past year and had an ide what he would make selling it off. But looks like he was a cheapskate to the final minute. Although to be fair, the mods didn't seem to want to get paid. Maybe Cerium offered, but if they put their hands back in their pockets, then he'd be like.... fuck it. I offered.

The $4.5M will get taxed. So it might be ballpark $3.3M net if he loses 25% to tax. So I'd estimate he's made a net profit of $4.3M or so after everything and all taxes paid.

Assuming I got my rates kind of right, he probably made out a net profit of somewhere between $4 - 5M.
On the bolded - sure, it could have, but why would Cerium pay them when they're happily doing it for free and volunteered to do it for free? Would it have been nice of him to give all the mods a bit of a little payout as a gesture when the buyout happens? Absolutely! The mods are however not owed a cent. They chose to work for free. They volunteered their time, no one forced them. They don't deserve any money simply for doing it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Many of them are trolling the mods to make them feel like they got had by Cerium. lol

I mean, Era was created 4 years ago. Most of its users are already established. You don't buy a forum for 4.5 million and expect it to return always the same (700k). They will want the space to grow, but even though there's a lot to lurkers, most people don't actually care enough to create an account in a place that doesn't accept free emails. Not only that, but someone posted the decline in users there. Things are not looking too bright.

700k a year is good, but if I bought it for 4.5 million, I would want more in the next 5 years. When I said forums are not money makers, I mean this, how can they compete with Discord and Reddit, places where most users are moving to? How can they grow the forum to make even more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom