• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 1.5 Leaked

Zombie cubes!

Leon vs. Solid Snake

Also, I went to picpar that part and look what happened to the link:

kIl.png

It spells JILL. The link for this picture spells KILL. What are the odds?

Huge appreciation for these guys if they can pull off a full, working game out of this. Resident Evil 1.5 is like the holy grail for old RE fans other than REmake 2. I am totally fine with any fan made content they need if it results in a complete game.

Not sure why people are complaining. Dude this would never seen the light of day if it wasnt for the people working on getting the beta for the past few years. Yes its an unfinished copy because *gasp* Capcom scrapped this version (RE 1.5) and never finished it.

So the fine gents/coders are injecting their own C code to fix alot of the bugs and adding areas that were missing to make it as much playable as possible. Will they get it 100%? No. Will they get close....yes. Should we be happy, absolutely. Last time gamer saw this shit was in tiny ass magazine pics from 199x.

Maybe you mistook my tone - I wasn't complaining, just curious as to how much there was going to be, is all. I come from the Sonic Community - if you want to talk unfinished game betas, I know what those are typically like.

I am also acutely aware of how restoration projects go.

There's no shame in being curious as to how much will be restored by fans and how much is still there and how long the eventual release is - I poked around a little bit and found that this was originally supposed to release for Halloween, and then for Christmas, but both of those deadlines have been missed and a recent comment from somebody on the team pegs the current (unreleased) version at "80% done".

My primary thought was along the lines of there being rooms without CG for them and whether or not any new graphics they would generate would clash with the existing art, but I suppose that's the kind of thing we might not know until it's all finished and released. At the very least, their new save screen (with the Kamiya doll based on his twitter avatar and the Playstation) looks "in-character" with the era.

Maybe you mistook my tone - I wasn't complaining, just curious as to how much there was going to be, is all. I come from the Sonic Community - if you want to talk unfinished game betas, I know what those are typically like.

I am also acutely aware of how restoration projects go.

There's no shame in being curious as to how much will be restored by fans and how much is still there and how long the eventual release is - I poked around a little bit and found that this was originally supposed to release for Halloween, and then for Christmas, but both of those deadlines have been missed and a recent comment from somebody on the team pegs the current (unreleased) version at "80% done".

My primary thought was along the lines of there being rooms without CG for them and whether or not any new graphics they would generate would clash with the existing art, but I suppose that's the kind of thing we might not know until it's all finished and released. At the very least, their new save screen (with the Kamiya doll based on his twitter avatar and the Playstation) looks "in-character" with the era.

Some of the trailers showed some of the CG rooms they did and they did a good job maintaining the artstyle.

Jawmuncher

While no way in hell it would ever happen.
It would be cool especially for RE3.5 if they did a sort of What'If remake of it.

Anyway just got done running through the file.
Gotta say it's great to see this finally and it should hopefully come together nicely.

Holy fuck WHAT. Originally saw this thread dicking around in line at Subway, hopefully people weren't wondering why I went bug-eyed for a minute...O_O

I was following the drama a little bit on THIA, but I didn't know it was going to escalate to this D:

I'm an impatient little bitch so...yeah gonna be playing this a bit, while following what else the team will do.

EDIT: I may cry

Neff

While it's surreal and joyous to be finally playing this, unfinished or not, I think it thoroughly vindicates what happened to it. The environment and camera/enemy placement feels very sterile and random. While the modernised RPD is visually interesting, and there's some great music, it just doesn't at all feel alive or inviting. I get a very strong DMC2 vibe from it, and they were wise to scrap it in favour of the godly RE2. It's the work of very talented people simply going in the wrong direction, and thankfully realising it before it's too late.

Seik

Banned
Downloading...

I was waiting for this very moment since years.

Even if it's not finished, I don't care, it's happening! :D

Dot50Cal

Banned
Interesting! The RE community has been pretty cool with one another for quite a while, but its still disappointing to see one bad apple still causing problems (a known bad apple at that). Also disappointing to hear about some people getting scammed as a result of this :\ At least theres somewhat of a baseline to compare their finished product to, that should be fun to play if it ever comes out.

Mr_Zombie

Man, I can't believe I've just played a part of RE1.5. It felt so... unreal to finally have this in a playable form. It will be great to play a new classic RE after all these years. :D

Anyone know how to add ammo to guns? I've read on another forum that you have to press Select + triangle on inventory screen, but pressing select removes the item from the inventory. I've tried to do a knife run with Elza, but was quickly killed by zombies. :(

Not really. RE1.5 was far more progressive in terms of mechanics than RE2. The new things re2 tried weren't implemented that well either. Elza Walker was also much much better character design than Claire. The atmosphere also looked much better since it actually looked like a police station instead of that retrofitted art museum bullshit we got with RE2.

Agreed

Always preferred the modern Police Station (I vividly remember pouring over it's screens in like EGM or some such). Everything else in RE2 though IE: Labs, mine cart, etc., are excellent though

Watching the video series now. Shit is FASCINATING!

randomwab

For those who don't want to try it out, I'll see if I can record a video of everything on the disc later. All the rooms, weapons and interactions that are working for both characters.

News Bot

Banned
Did Alyson Court actually voice Elza at one point? Or is that like a placeholder voice for her?

Placeholder. The acting in 1.5 wasn't much better than the first game, still hiring English voice actors based in Japan and requesting that they "speak slowly" to accentuate every line. Somehow that sounds cool to Japanese people.

Why? The fog would have made for a way less interesting game than Las Plagas.

I agree, people seem to think that this game would've been closer to the original games, when it actually was a much bigger and crappier departure from the pseudo science horror of the original. Posessed dolls and trophies, a guy with a hook coming out of paintings... yeah no, that's just bad. If they try to go for a supernatural horror vibe, this shit is just about as uninspired as it gets. Oh no moving dolls, and moving and bleeding moose trophies... are you scared yet? Maybe if you'd lived in the 1800s this stuff would've been creepy, but in a time where Project Zero and Silent Hill exist, this would've been more like reading Bram Stockers Dracula. Fascinating but hardly scary.

The same goes for RE1.5. From all the footage that was shown, to this now, it is clear that the game was scrapped for quality reasons. And I don't know how but they managed to have an even more ridiculous female character design than Claires lol worthy RE2 outfit.

I am however extremely interested in unfinished games myself. The snapshot of development that is akin to production sketches is just very interesting as it allows a great look into the process of delivering a final playable game.

That's why I'm not really ok with the game being "enhanced" by coders. If all they did was to make all content available to as many people as possible, that would be fine, but going in and adding their stuff is just cringeworthy as it asumes authorship over someone elses work without giving due credit. At least clearly label where you make changes.

News Bot

Banned
I agree, people seem to think that this game would've been closer to the original games, when it actually was a much bigger and crappier departure from the pseudo science horror of the original. Posessed dolls and trophies, a guy with a hook coming out of paintings... yeah no, that's just bad. If they try to go for a supernatural horror vibe, this shit is just about as uninspired as it gets. Oh no moving dolls, and moving and bleeding moose trophies... are you scared yet? Maybe if you'd lived in the 1800s this stuff would've been creepy, but in a time where Project Zero and Silent Hill exist, this would've been more like reading Bram Stockers Dracula. Fascinating but hardly scary.

The same goes for RE1.5. From all the footage that was shown, to this now, it is clear that the game was scrapped for quality reasons. And I don't know how but they managed to have an even more ridiculous female character design than Claires lol worthy RE2 outfit.

I am however extremely interested in unfinished games myself. The snapshot of development that is akin to production sketches is just very interesting as it allows a great look into the process of delivering a final playable game.

That's why I'm not really ok with the game being "enhanced" by coders. If all they did was to make all content available to as many people as possible, that would be fine, but going in and adding their stuff is just cringeworthy as it asumes authorship over someone elses work without giving due credit. At least clearly label where you make changes.

The version with the Fog and the version with the hallucinations are completely different.

When it comes to quality I can tell that some of the rendered areas were either unfinished with nothing but walls or looks lower in detail over the resi 2 backgrounds, they had a huge task in rebuilding areas I guess.

Are these in the code right now? awesome.

*edit* just in case people are interested, in the menu system there is a new type of first aid spray which cures poison, in RE2 only the blue herbs did such.

The release is rather old in terms of what can be done, this video from 2006 is more complete, some areas like where leon jumps down before the white fade do not work in this release.

randomwab

*edit* just in case people are interested, in the menu system there is a new type of first aid spray which cures poison, in RE2 only the blue herbs did such.

The release is rather old in terms of what can be done, this video from 2006 is more complete, some areas like where leon jumps down before the white fade do not work in this release.

I think it's generally believed that this release is derived from that build. More than likely some things have been disabled/broken by their reworking of the code and probably in their attempt to fix the air Jesus bug.

randomwab

Almost everyone on the 1.5 team (even the composer!) disliked the game. I think that's pretty telling.

Is this from an interview or something? I'd love to hear more from the composers, kept hoping someone would translate the liner notes from the Sound Chronicle box.

I was waiting for some news on this project but a shame that what was leaked isn't their finished build. However I fear that this project will be forced to shut down in the end. These guys should use their talent to make a retro Resident Evil type of game since working with this gives them a lot of experience.

The version with the Fog and the version with the hallucinations are completely different.

Wait, the fog was basically just a few snippets of Leon moving around some environments. That was considered to be a version of the game? Always thought it was merely a tech showing since the design and lightning was completely the same as with the posessed version.

My old bro Playstation sounds like it's dying trying to run this game. Actually the good ol' "flip it on it's side" trick works but the problems is that the lid has some staying shut problems! Got to the second screen with Elza without the console crapping out so I know that the game works properly!

Old skewl gaming is a bitch

My old bro Playstation sounds like it's dying trying to run this game. Actually the good ol' "flip it on it's side" trick works but the problems is that the lid has some staying shut problems! Got to the second screen with Elza without the console crapping out so I know that the game works properly!

Old skewl gaming is a bitch

Okay: in the first cutscene is Elza supposed to see someone or was it a streaming issue? Edit: okaaay, the policeman. The game also crashed on the menu :(

edit: Can you equip the gun? I can cycle around items with R and L buttons but can't get out of the menu

edit: holy lol staircase 2

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Some of the music in this dump is really bizarre. Some is leftover from RE2 (or...leftover in RE2, rather), but yikes.

alf717

Couldn't sleep at all so I just kept plugging away at this. So so fun. Was about to go to bed and then randomwab starting talking about the Umbrella Factory, I thought the game was just the police station. Frantically fired up the beta again and I guess I forgot about hitting triangle in the debug menu.

Leon seems to have more cut scenes. Also Annette at the end in the tram is interesting. RE1.5 tells such a different story from the final RE2. So amazing.

Top Bottom