• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Demo Brings The Fear this January 11th for Xbox, PS4 and PC.

Do you believe this rumor from a random twitter account?

• Total voters

wolgoen

People will find a way to bypass the ‘one chance’ limit, you can guarantee it.

My guess would be:

Console - delete save game data after each play or use multiple accounts to download the demo.

PC - mod to disable the one chance limit or more interestingly, a mod to disable the timer and play as long as you want.

Hobbesian

Banned
My initial reaction when I heard there would be a demo was that it would be a bad idea... but this one time play through idea is admittedly intriguing. Has the potential to be quite memetic and viral and also obviates stupid people from drawing stupid conclusions about the game from the demo.

Kind of like Devil May Cry 5.

Last edited:
This one Chance thing is just so stupid, I hate it. Who thinks of such stupid shit?

The Suits.

giphy.gif

Moses85

Received confirmation by Capcom Germany that the Demo will come for Xbox One AND PS4!

Sony has the marketing deal for RE2, it never made sense the demo would be Xbox One exclusive. If the Demo would be released exclusive only on PS4 would make sense.

But anyway, both will get it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its way too close to release so I'm not gonna bother with this demo and also in survival horror games its better go as blind as possible.

dolabla

Install sizes for PC and Xbox One according to this: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/resident-evil-2-pc-download-size-is-26gb-1975168

Resident Evil 2 is being remade for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC. With a Resident Evil 2 release date of January 25, Capcom has updated the game's Steam page with more details. The Resident Evil 2 PC download size is 26GB. This makes it a bit bigger than the Xbox One version of the game that's around 21GB. So far, the exact Resident Evil 2 PS4 download size is yet to be revealed. 26GB for Resident Evil 2 on PC isn't too shabby when you consider how big most modern games tend to be, averaging around double of Resident Evil 2's download size.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Capcom better not be pulling a capcom and having sub par assets on Xbox over PS4 and pc. Xbox one x has a chance to really, really shine here, and frown hat I’ve seen there’s no reason it can be the best looking and performing outside of the pc platform.

But if they added lower quality assets to the Xbox S version, rather than lower settings... well, that just tells you something...

Hopefully it’s because either the full release isn’t on Xbox yet, or maybe Xbox has some better proprietary compression techniques.

But I dunno... 5gb difference in a game that’s knly 26gb total is... quite a lot.

Shifty

That error at the end. I wonder if they capped it at 30 minutes due to a critical memory leak :pie_thinking:

Limbless zombie is a sight to see as well.

Capcom better not be pulling a capcom and having sub par assets on Xbox over PS4 and pc. Xbox one x has a chance to really, really shine here, and frown hat I’ve seen there’s no reason it can be the best looking and performing outside of the pc platform.

But if they added lower quality assets to the Xbox S version, rather than lower settings... well, that just tells you something...

Hopefully it’s because either the full release isn’t on Xbox yet, or maybe Xbox has some better proprietary compression techniques.

But I dunno... 5gb difference in a game that’s knly 26gb total is... quite a lot.
In an ideal situation it'd tell you that they decided not to waste space on assets that would end up being displayed at lower-than-native resolution anyway. No point in shipping 4K textures if the target platform can't fit them into memory or use them at an acceptable framerate.

Whether Capcom's RE Engine pipeline supports that kind of target-by-target packaging scheme is another question, but I'm fairly sure the Xbox ecosystem supports delivering different asset payloads based on your hardware.

Last edited:

I bypassed the timer after my first two playthrus. This game is going to be awesome. Taking my time for sure felt better than trying to rush.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
*sigh*

For the last time there’s no such thing as “4k assets”. That’s some crazy talk people spout out. You can have a higher res texture pack, though. But that higher res texture pack could work at 480p and still show massive differences.

Having played all versions and looked st the tech I can confirm the reason the X looks more blurry than the pro, is that the pro uses no AA or FXAA, and the X uses TXAA. The problem with this is that TXAA will totally destroy the image and make the game look damn near 1080p quality. It ask has a serious effect on texture readability as well, due to the way TXAA works.

Also, the demo isn’t even in 4k, it’s around 1600ish.

So yeah... this seems like it won’t be fixed for the retail, as this is the exact same setup and issues RE7 had on X vs Pro, and nothing has been learned...

Damn shame, as the game is otherwise amazing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Played the demo on PC and One X and I'm definitely getting it on PC. You can choose so many graphical effect options including most importantly the type of AA and no motion blur. They also completely botched the HDR. Strangely, the HDR brightness setting screens have only one brightness adjustment, whereas non-HDR has you setting upper and lower limits, which I've only ever seen on HDR games? Did they really screw up and switch the two around?

I played today finally and its pretty intense, as the title of this suggests the demo brought the fear with a couple good jump scares, as a rule I would put a bullet in the head of any bodies on the floor but one got up anyways and grabbed me from behind. I'm sad that this won't get the PSVR treatment that RE7 did as that brought a whole new level of fear, nothing more scary than being chased in VR.

I'm pretty impressed by what I got to play on my PS4 Pro todayisu, vals with HDR on, were on point, lots of gore in this. I may have notice a frame rate drop looking down the hall seeing a zombie in the window and it seemed a little flickery with the lighting but it wasn't the worst thing in the world it felt like a horror movie effect.

brap

Banned
Pretty fun and the gore was great. Beat it in 24:19. I wish the knife let you use it as much as you wanted though.

ruvikx

Banned
I bypassed the timer after my first two playthrus. This game is going to be awesome. Taking my time for sure felt better than trying to rush.

Yes. For example
upstairs in the library, I was casually walking around on the balcony when Leon fell through the floor & landed right next to a bunch of zombies. That was fun!

IMO this game is going to be a massive hit & (without hyperbole) the best RE title in 14 years.

Yes. For example
upstairs in the library, I was casually walking around on the balcony when Leon fell through the floor & landed right next to a bunch of zombies. That was fun!

IMO this game is going to be a massive hit & (without hyperbole) the best RE title in 14 years.

Yeah. That made me about jump out of my chair. And I don’t usually scare playing games. They are handled really well from what I can tell so far.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Had a good time with the demo. It's fun to chop up the "dead" zombies with the knife, they did a good job with the gore effects.
20190114010840_1.jpg

Jesb

What I got from this demo was that this is not a remake. This is a whole new game. Not going to say if I like that or not yet. But what did stick out is not having some of the classic music in there.

Top Bottom