• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 fans have made an impressive HD mod for it

Mista

Banned

There are plenty of HD mods where you have to zoom in on a screenshot to notice the difference. Well, this is not that kind of mod. Resident Evil 3 Seamless HD Project uses machine learning to upscale the backgrounds, and also includes upscaled menus with high-res character portraits, seamless masks, and a bunch of manual editing to insure things like in-game text are readable. The difference is pretty stark. There's also an optional FMV pack that doubles the resolution of the cutscenes, another pretty noticeable difference even though they're still only running at 640x320.

Thing is, Resident Evil 3 Seamless HD Project works with the emulated version of RE3 so you'll need the Dolphin emulator and an iso to check it out. Once it's up and running you can switch between the two by pressing the delete key, and in the video above you can see a few instances where the player does just that.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Well look at that! Another mod team that actually stayed quiet and released it into the wild before the cease and desist letters came in!:messenger_sunglasses:

It's refreshing to see modders/mod teams actually keeping quiet and not letting their hard work get shut down by announcing it to all
the corporate lawyers beforehand! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DavidGzz

Damn, it looks amazing. I guess if the Remake isn't a thing, I'll have to get this as my girls want to see me play through it.

I see they also included a custom Dolphin build on their website to ease people in as comfortably as possible. This is fantastic work all around, i appreciate the effort and the remarkable end-result which i believe may be the definitive way to experience Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
With all this machine learning stuff, do we even need HD remasters of old games anymore (besides support for modern screen resolutions / controls) sold for money? I'm sure I've seen similar mod for RE HD Remake which looks much better than what Capcom did while porting the game to PC and current gen consoles. And yeah, hopefully more games will receive similar treatment.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
This is what the PSX-era Final Fantasy ports should have looked like.

The new upscale thing is nuts. It needs to be embraced by the big studios.

Top Bottom