• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Review thread

ssringo

Didn't need reviews or the demo (but I loved it). Got it on PC for mods and PS5 for VR.
aroused my body is ready GIF

One of my favorite games of all time is back big. This was the first game I finished in one sitting (on PS2), because I didn't find the memory card to buy.

I will probably finish this remake 10 times this year :lollipop_ogre:

MarkyG

I'm sold. Game is solid. I've watched about 5 video reviews so far. Interesting how there's almost no mention of the lack of Mercenaries mode (although Capcom have teased it in previous trailers, so perhaps post launch DLC?) and puzzle complexity. I also wonder if Capcom will release the Ada missions as post release DLC?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Thats shockingly high.
Congrats to Capcom for putting in work.

Now we wait for Dragons Dogma 2 Game of the Generation!!
Didn’t play that yet. Thought it was well received apart of some woke trash here and there?
It was very well received and had no "woke trash" in it.
People who didnt like the Remake are weird cuz its a faithful remake of Dead Space, with enough enhancements to make it worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

Kacho

Veronica will need to be almost completely re-written. The game has some pretty ass backwards story beats. As in, it's just a poor game. IMO of course
Yeah that story was too weird, even back in the day. I couldn't wrap my head around how we went from the incredible Raccoon City trilogy to that.

what about zero?

isn't Veronica to wacky ?
Now to state the obvious - this is just my opinion but.....

RE0 doesn't have many redeeming qualities at all. Honestly outside the train being cool it's kinda a whatever game. RE0 feels more special than it is because it got it's start as a N64 game which is kinda a cool little detail. I think Code Veronica has the most to actually gain. It has incredibly moody and diverse environments, one of the best soundtracks of the series, a decent enemy roster, it jump started the big Chris vs Wesker thing that culminates in RE5.

Let's be real, Claire makes a far better lead character than Rebecca. Not to mention RECV is more of a sequel to RE2 than RE3 ever was as much as I love RE3.

The major issues of CV being it's bad pacing and voice acting/dialogue are the two things that could easily be fixed with a remake.

Last edited:
The only review that truly matters:

Her point about edge is a good one. It doesn't make sense why Capcom censors their stuff so much. You can blow a zombie's whole body apart with a shotgun but they are afraid to show your main character get messed up in crazy ways. Why? Never understood it.

I 100% bet what she's referring is specifically the novistador's face melting death. Probably even the chainsaw decap too because personally I think it's more shocking than the new ganado one.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Her point about edge is a good one. It doesn't make sense why Capcom censors their stuff so much. You can blow a zombie's whole body apart with a shotgun but they are afraid to show your main character get messed up in crazy ways. Why? Never understood it.

I 100% bet what she's referring is specifically the novistador's face melting death. Probably even the chainsaw decap too because personally I think it's more shocking than the new ganado one.

Oh I definitely disagree with the 'character getting messed up' part. There are some gruesome death animations for Leon in just the demo alone.

Danknugz

an Inthe only one that feels incredibly underwhelmed at the prospect of playing a game I already played literally almost 20 years ago on a PS2?

DavJay

Anyone that know the unlockables, please message me. I want to know but it is considered spoilers for some.

Madflavor

Oh I definitely disagree with the 'character getting messed up' part. There are some gruesome death animations for Leon in just the demo alone.
From I've been hearing, there are gruesome death scenes in RE4R, but they don't quite reach the same levels as OG RE4. They started censoring death scenes beginning with RE5 that lasted well through to RE Village. But from what I'm hearing, RE4R finally brings back the gorey deaths from the classic era. It's just that, unfortunately, there are some classic death scenes that didn't make it back in.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Remakes are on a burner this year. This, Dead Space, Metroid Prime. 3 of the top 5 games of the year might be remakes.

So people who have played the original and village - I have only played village but I REALLY loved it. Also played all the new remakes. But I hear village takes inspiration from this - will this be similar to that game?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wonder if anyone in the gaming industry, reporters etc....Digital foundry can reach out to capcom to get an update on the graphics on PS5 and controller issues on XBox and PC.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's my understanding that RE3R being the way it was is why they went so hard on making RE4R great.
I think RE4 is among the best games ever made so Capcom knew they have to put the time and budget to make it right. They could easily get a way with a remaster for maximum cash grab.

GymWolf

So people who have played the original and village - I have only played village but I REALLY loved it. Also played all the new remakes. But I hear village takes inspiration from this - will this be similar to that game?
Re4 shat on re8 from great heights and then teabag its shit smeared corpse for 3 hours straight.

So yeah, you are gonna enjoy re4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom