• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Just completed the entire game and all 4 campaigns. I really enjoyed the game and still do not understand the unadulterated hate and lackluster ratings for this game. Screw the reviews like always. Sure, there are definitely problems, but overall I feel like it was a great game with many memorable moments with a lot of effort put into it. The game got better once I really understood the gameplay mechanics and controls. Ada's Chapter 4 was probably the biggest surprise for me ever in a RE game. Very unexpected and out of the ordinary for this franchise.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just completed the entire game and all 4 campaigns. I really enjoyed the game and still do not understand the unadulterated hate and lackluster ratings for this game. Screw the reviews like always. Sure, there are definitely problems, but overall I feel like it was a great game with many memorable moments with a lot of effort put into it. The game got better once I really understood the gameplay mechanics and controls. Ada's Chapter 4 was probably the biggest surprise for me ever in a RE game. Very unexpected and out of the ordinary for this franchise.

Yeah man this game really is a lot of fun. Just wait until you start playing Mercenaries and replaying the game with the secondary characters. I've already put 31 hours into this game. :O

hamchan

I also just finished all the campaigns. The motivations for the main villain were pretty lol-worthy and the way they set up the story makes it extremely confusing to know what's going on until you finish everything.

I really really like the combat system and will definitely replay on higher difficulties. Quickshot is brilliant and the melee system is brilliant too.

Curufinwe

Not seeing all the annoying QTEs that the reviews mentioned so far. I wonder how much of that was due to them not knowing you need to rotate both sticks. Some of them would be terrible if you only used the left stick.

ApolloJoh

Not seeing all the annoying QTEs that the reviews mentioned so far. I wonder how much of that was due to them not knowing you need to rotate both sticks. Some of them would be terrible if you only used the left stick.

It's weird. I was fine when only using the left stick until I found out that you can use both.

Using both is obviously better.

Shouta

Finished all 4 campaigns today. While it has lots of good points, it has tons of stupid ones as well. I really do wish they'd go back to the adventure style gameplay over the segmented action style. That's probably my biggest complaint. More wider areas, a bit more exploration, proper story exposition within the game, etc. The other stuff that RE6 does isn't too bad though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I really do wish they'd go back to the adventure style gameplay over the segmented action style.

Fat chance of that happening considering how popular RE5 and RE6 are. From RE.net it seems there are 600,000 people online right now, which is a little ridiculous.

I personally don't mind the new action focus as long as the enemies are interesting and fun to fight. I've sunk 31 hours into this game so far and there are no signs of me stopping anytime soon. Can't really say that about any of the old RE games.

Astral

Why can't they keep the action and go back to old school? I wish every room in this game was like the mannequin room in Jake's Chapter 1. That's like my favorite area in the whole game. It's much better than EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE and FUCKING SNIPERS.

Replicant

Why can't they keep the action and go back to old school? I wish every room in this game was like the mannequin room in Jake's Chapter 1. That's like my favorite area in the whole game. It's much better than EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE and FUCKING SNIPERS.

I second this. I don't mind the action. Just make the atmosphere more like Jake Chapter 1's mannequin room. That was creepy. And fix the god damn camera and cover system STAT! Also, don't have a J'avo mutating into a spider then having said spider shooting AK-47. The mutation was horrific but having him shoot you with gun drops the creep factor to -100. Take a look at Siren: New Translation's 'spiders'. They don't shoot you but the very sight of them makes you want to flee in terror.

I love this game. I think it's a fun game. But it sure can use a lot of improvements to make it even better.

Riposte

I second this. I don't mind the action. Just make the atmosphere more like Jake Chapter 1's mannequin room. That was creepy. And fix the god damn camera and cover system STAT! Also, don't have a J'avo mutating into a spider then having said spider shooting AK-47. The mutation was horrific but having him shoot you with gun drops the creep factor to -100. Take a look at Siren: New Translation's 'spiders'. They don't shoot you but the very sight of them makes you want to flee in terror.

I love this game. I think it's a fun game. But it sure can use a lot of improvements to make it even better.

I loved the (upside down) AK-47 shooting spider J'avo. Absurd mutations like that is what catches my attention. When I first saw it in a trailer it really took me by surprise, and it is not often enemies designs do that.

Daigoro

So apparently to get the really high scores in Mercenaries you have to save the secret boss that appears and kill him as number 150 in your combo. Also you're supposed to constantly counter enemies at the beginning until things start to get too crazy.

I don't think I'm hardcore enough to bother with all that though lol.

holy crap. for real? that sounds nuts. i guess you can delay its appearance though. it comes after 15 counters or something?

sounds pretty technical.

They really need to dial back on the enemy designs.

Yup, I don't mind the zombie variations, because it's not a large number but the amount of J'avo enemies/mutations etc is beyond excessive.

And gah! Why did Capcom think it was a good idea to push the Jake and Chris relationship regarding his father? I just got done with the cutscene where
Jake is about to shoot Chris, and all I can say is...why? Why the fuck would he be so hot and bothered about a guy who was a bioterrorist nutter! I mean Wesker was *insane*. He was evil as shit and would never change his ways...so why is Jake acting like Wesker was a great hero who fought in some war with Chris and things went sour...ala Solid Snake and Gray Fox...

Makes no sense.

Bladenic

They really need to dial back on the enemy designs.

What do you mean?

Also I agree that I wish there were more areas like Jake 1 in the game. So well done. Was diappointed when there was nothing even resembling that in Jake's. Though I do like the fact that Jake's was most focused on exploration overall.

Also agree about the spider J'avo. Wish they did... idk, spider things to you, not shoot. Meh.

Esura

Banned
Yup, I don't mind the zombie variations, because it's not a large number but the amount of J'avo enemies/mutations etc is beyond excessive.

And gah! Why did Capcom think it was a good idea to push the Jake and Chris relationship regarding his father? I just got done with the cutscene where
Jake is about to shoot Chris, and all I can say is...why? Why the fuck would he be so hot and bothered about a guy who was a bioterrorist nutter! I mean Wesker was *insane*. He was evil as shit and would never change his ways...so why is Jake acting like Wesker was a great hero who fought in some war with Chris and things went sour...ala Solid Snake and Gray Fox...

Makes no sense.

Because
Chris killed his father. Granted, Wesker needed to die but no matter what kind of man he was, no one is gonna act all cool towards someone who killed their father, lol.

Because
Chris killed his father. Granted, Wesker needed to die but no matter what kind of man he was, no one is gonna act all cool towards someone who killed their father, lol.

I get that, but
if his father has barely been around, and was absolute scum why would he give a shit about what happened to him? The is no real history explained throughout the game, just that he is the son of Wesker and apparently wasn't around much. Why even push that angle, it's absolutely ludicrous. Can you imagine Wesker having an argument with Jakes mother and slamming the door yelling "I need to get my head together!!!" or something ridiculous like that lol? Nope...Wesker is a scumbag bioterrorist douche and that's about it lol.

I'm not expecting him to be cool about it, but to act like they had some kind've relationship together throughout his life...just no.

Astral

I get that, but
if his father has barely been around, and was absolute scum why would he give a shit about what happened to him? The is no real history explained throughout the game, just that he is the son of Wesker and apparently wasn't around much. Why even push that angle, it's absolutely ludicrous. Can you imagine Wesker having an argument with Jakes mother and slamming the door yelling "I need to get my head together!!!" or something ridiculous like that lol? Nope...Wesker is a scumbag bioterrorist douche and that's about it lol.

I'm not expecting him to be cool about it, but to act like they had some kind've relationship together throughout his life...just no.

It would've made more sense if Jake had mentioned wanting to settle things himself.

Riposte

That part was very poorly set up (though a great jerk moment for Chris). I kind of see it as Jake and Chris really disliking each other from the getgo and Jake feeling insulted or one-up'd by the whole thing.

Esura

Banned
I get that, but

You know, Wesker could of just had a one night stand with some sort of researcher or a hooker or something instead of having some sort of relationship, lol. But maybe he would of liked to have met his father or at least see how he truly is himself instead of hearing about his deeds from others. It seems like Chris understood somewhat which is why he didn't fuck Jake up for almost shooting him because when he was talking to Piers afterwards and Piers pretty much felt he didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't have to apologize and Chris was like, it's his father though. Overall I thought the confrontation was awesome until Jake said, "ITS NOT ABOUT ME AND YOU!" and I was like...ok wtf is he talking about?

Any tips for the Flying Ace achievement? I've tried 3 times now, didn't get hit by any missiles or choppers, and it still didn't pop. Only achievement I need.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Finished all the campaigns and I'd give it a 7. There's a good game in there somewhere with a pile of garbage on top. It should have been streamlined into one big story while cutting some levels out.

I'd have to say that Leon's campaign was the worst.

olimpia84

Finished Jake's campaign tonight. The last 3 chapters were enjoyable and this campaign had my favorite final boss fight out of all three. Will start the 4th and last campaign probably tomorrow.

Bladenic

Haven't read the full files, hopefully they she'd more light on the Jake situation, it's pretty poorly explained in the game. I also feel like Jake's too young for the stuff he's supposedly done and whatnot, but maybe it's common in other countries.

Also finished Professional and got all the emblems. Not bad at all, some parts were frustrating but that's to be expected. Only 2 trophies left now (Mad Skillz and Covered in Brass).

You know, Wesker could of just had a one night stand with some sort of researcher or a hooker or something instead of having some sort of relationship, lol. But maybe he would of liked to have met his father or at least see how he truly is himself instead of hearing about his deeds from others. It seems like Chris understood somewhat which is why he didn't fuck Jake up for almost shooting him because when he was talking to Piers afterwards and Piers pretty much felt he didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't have to apologize and Chris was like, it's his father though. Overall I thought the confrontation was awesome until Jake said, "ITS NOT ABOUT ME AND YOU!" and I was like...ok wtf is he talking about?

Bahaha!Yeah that cutscene was just...weird, I dunno. Another thing that was kinda shitty was the fact that Chris didn't mention "oh btw your father was a mutant bioterrorist when he tried, for the 48th time, to kill me. Just stood there. Like he killed a friend. Wat. I liked the way the scene looked and such, dramatic and all that. But then I actually think for more than 5 seconds about how Jerry Springer that scene becomes and I get bummed out.

Just reminds me of Dr Evil and Scott from Austin Powers. :/

It would've made more sense if Jake had mentioned wanting to settle things himself.

This as well, just *something* more concrete and not so forced.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm wondering if its one of those lost-in-translation things that Newsbot is always talking about.
I thought it was a bit odd, but I can speak up that family is family. Even if Jake never knew his father and particularly didn't like him for leaving him and his mother behind, in my experience with others in similar positions they still have an odd affection for their father. My dad never knew his own dad until he was already an adult, and when he finally learned who his father was and mailed him when he was in his early twenties he got a response telling him to never contact him ever again. Still, my dad did have a noticeable strange love for his father despite him not being a good dad by any standards.

It makes more sense if you think about how a person would respond if they met the man that killed their father, even if he wasn't a great dad, but I think the game could of done more to emphasize on that. I have a sneaking suspicion that Jake could somewhat relate to his father, particularly noted in the scene in Chapter 3 where he says his life makes a lot more sense now that he knows who his father was and it explains some of the things he personally has done. Jake shows a dislike for chris in every single one of their encounters, and then to learn that Chris was, in fact, the guy who killed his father probably set something off in him added on top of the fact he didn't like Chris much to begin with.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
About to jump online now. If anyone is interested in so co-op im going to replay Leon chapter 5.

Xbox 360: GT = SegaManAU

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering if its one of those lost-in-translation things that Newsbot is always talking about.
I thought it was a bit odd, but I can speak up that family is family. Even if Jake never knew his father and particularly didn't like him for leaving him and his mother behind, in my experience with others in similar positions they still have an odd affection for their father. My dad never knew his own dad until he was already an adult, and when he finally learned who his father was and mailed him when he was in his early twenties he got a response telling him to never contact him ever again. Still, my dad did have a noticeable strange love for his father despite him not being a good dad by any standards.

It makes more sense if you think about how a person would respond if they met the man that killed their father, even if he wasn't a great dad, but I think the game could of done more to emphasize on that. I have a sneaking suspicion that Jake could somewhat relate to his father, particularly noted in the scene in Chapter 3 where he says his life makes a lot more sense now that he knows who his father was and it explains some of the things he personally has done. Jake shows a dislike for chris in every single one of their encounters, and then to learn that Chris was, in fact, the guy who killed his father probably set something off in him added on top of the fact he didn't like Chris much to begin with.

I think this is probably the best explanation for that scene that I've seen. I agree.

So is Chris the best character in Mercs or what?

I've said this already but I think Chris, Sherry EX2, and
Carla
are the best three characters in Mercs. Until they release Wesker as DLC of course.

holy crap. for real? that sounds nuts. i guess you can delay its appearance though. it comes after 15 counters or something?

sounds pretty technical.

Yeah you're supposed to use as many counters as possible to keep as much time left on the clock as possible. Each second you have on the clock gives you 200 points or something, so you need to maximize your time by using lots of counters, but also keeping the boss for the very end so it gives you the maximum number of points.

Not something I'm really interested in practicing lol, but it makes sense.

Bittercup

Call me crazy, but I'm totally loving RE6. Rented it from Redbox last weekend, got up to chapter 2 in Leon's story and immediately knew I had to own it. Picked it up the same day I returned it and have finished Leon's campaign and now I'm halfway through Chris's. I'm totally addicted right now.
Nothing crazy about that. I'm now 10 hours in and absolutely love this game as well :)
It has some low parts, didn't like the driving sections so far, but the fighting feels great and the highlight for me is the character interaction between the teams. Especially Jake/Sherry and surprisingly Chris/Piers are amazing.

I think this is probably the best explanation for that scene that I've seen. I agree.

Carla
are the best three characters in Mercs. Until they release Wesker as DLC of course.

Yeah you're supposed to use as many counters as possible to keep as much time left on the clock as possible. Each second you have on the clock gives you 200 points or something, so you need to maximize your time by using lots of counters, but also keeping the boss for the very end so it gives you the maximum number of points.

Not something I'm really interested in practicing lol, but it makes sense.

I managed to make the boss appear and got a 150-kill combo in my last Solo run. Countering is easier than you think, and equipping Power Counter makes it really fun.

Nothing crazy about that. I'm now 10 hours in and absolutely love this game as well :)
It has some low parts, didn't like the driving sections so far, but the fighting feels great and the highlight for me is the character interaction between the teams. Especially Jake/Sherry and surprisingly Chris/Piers are amazing.

Yup. Almost done with Chris's campaign now and I love how they fit all the parts of the other campaigns together. Can't wait to start Jake's tomorrow.

Ken

Carla

Basically anyone with a good primary for staggering and headshotting enemies easily (pistols) and a good secondary for taking out special enemies fast (not a sniper rifle).

Ken

Good god, is Steel Beast deserted? In about a minute I only saw and killed four J'avo. :|

Playing solo, it seems the best way to do that map is to sit top until the armored j'avo start showing up. Move down to the middle level and kill stuff there until the jumping j'avo show up and then move to the lowest level. After that I think the j'a'vo start spawning at the top level again but will run down so you can keep the combo going as you make your way back up.

Butttt I've only done it once with Sherry2, got rank 31 on the leaderboards, and haven't had the patience to go back since to test my theory.

Yeah man this game really is a lot of fun. Just wait until you start playing Mercenaries and replaying the game with the secondary characters. I've already put 31 hours into this game. :O

Nice, I already started on Leon's campaign with Helena. Lol at the wrestling moves. I think I must be near 30 hours myself. Played a little mercenaries and it's very fun.

Even though I really, really did enjoy the game and had a blast, I will admit that I also loved the old style and wouldn't mind seeing it in future RE titles. RE6 to me is an action game with some horror elements and gore thrown in much like Fear. Unfortunately, it seems like traditional survival horror is dead and Capcom is gravitating more towards Gears of War style action for their future titles so it will apparently appeal to a bigger audience. Yeah, I wouldn't mind having both types of games honestly because I think there is room for both.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
am i the only one who thinks its hilarious to see mutated beasts with huge claws and legs use GUNS?

:lol

always kinda bothered me. and ofc this isnt the only game that does it, it just takes the scaryness away for me.

Top Bottom