• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

GeekyDad

I think the Chris campaign is my favorite, closely followed by Leon and then Jake, though Jake had one of the best chapters in the form of Ch. 3. Ada is the most fun character to play as (and easiest on the eyes!), and her campaign was consistently fun, but somewhat secondary to the others (which makes sense).

Not as easy on the eyes as she was in 4. She looks more...man-ish in this one.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Finished Leon's chapter and thought it ended fairly strongly, although the boss was starting to get a little annoying by the end.

I'm up to chapter four of Chris's chapter and not liking it as much. The J'avo are interesting to fight when they start sprouting Dead Space creatures from their limbs but they still rely on guns an inordinate amount of time and the gun play just isn't really fleshed out enough to be interesting on it's own, not to mention it's boring as hell. I get the feeling Capcom was going for a Gears of War-esque experience with Chris's campaign but it doesn't ever feel like you have enough ammo to really play it that way; there's been a couple times where I had to restart the chapter simply because the game was so damn stingy with ammo drops (even with the item drop increase perk) that I ran out of everything while fighting the bullet-spongy bastards.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If you want an example of man-ish Ada, reference the latest CG movie shitfest.

Neiteio

I wouldn't say "exactly," but I agree that, given all the possible ways a man can sound, all three leads sound EXTREMELY similar in terms of the tonal qualities of their voices. Their deliveries have subtle differences, so given enough time with them a person could pick up on what makes each unique. That's why people are going to disagree with you, but at first listen they really are very similar.
I disagree -- if anything, they did a great job of making the three character's voices and personalities feel different. Leon has the sexy/soft "pillow talk" voice, Chris is all clearly annunciated machismo/charisma, and Jake alternates between sarcasm, angst and bemused -- mostly sarcasm, though. Jake definitely stands out the most.

see5harp

I finally finished Leon's campaign last night and was laughing uncontrollably when I realized that I was playing crossfire with a bunch of soldier characters in an opposite room.

I disagree -- if anything, they did a great job of making the three character's voices and personalities feel different. Leon has the sexy/soft "pillow talk" voice, Chris is all clearly annunciated machismo/charisma, and Jake alternates between sarcasm, angst and bemused -- mostly sarcasm, though. Jake definitely stands out the most.

Perhaps after you have played all of the campaigns you might feel that way. The first time I heard Chris speak it honestly sounded like the same voice actor for both. Jake definitely sounded different but he doesn't have many lines of significance in Leon's campaign.

Neiteio

Perhaps after you have played all of the campaigns you might feel that way. The first time I heard Chris speak it honestly sounded like the same voice actor for both. Jake definitely sounded different but he doesn't have many lines of significance in Leon's campaign.
They've sounded completely different from the very start, when the debut trailer come out back in January. The girls all sound different, too: Sherry is very distinct from Helena and Ada, and vice-versa.

Nemesis_

The first time I heard Chris speak it honestly sounded like the same voice actor for both. Jake definitely sounded different but he doesn't have many lines of significance in Leon's campaign.

x6yye.gif

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I think in a blind test many people would have trouble telling the voices apart. And again, let me emphasize that I don't think their acting is the same; they each have distinct personalities and ways of speaking as you say. The tonal qualities of their voices are extremely similar, objectively. Consider the extreme variation in human male voices, and then think about Chris, Leon, and Jake. Extremely similar.

I could absolutely understand if, upon hearing them for the first time, someone couldn't tell them apart.

Neiteio

I think in a blind test many people would have trouble telling the voices apart. And again, let me emphasize that I don't think their acting is the same; they each have distinct personalities and ways of speaking as you say. The tonal qualities of their voices are extremely similar, objectively. Consider the extreme variation in human male voices, and then think about Chris, Leon, and Jake. Extremely similar.

I could absolutely understand if, upon hearing them for the first time, someone couldn't tell them apart.
I could easily pick out Chris' voice in a blind test of the first trailer, and I could easily tell Leon and Jake were separate characters from each other and him when they talk. Leon is super-soft, hush-like pillow talk, Chris is all loud and vacillates between drawn-out and snappy, and Jake's voice sounds completely different altogether. This is silly, they all sound completely different, not just in terms of acting, but in terms of the sheer sound of their voice.

So have you guys tried playing Mercs mode... WITH THE MUSIC TURNED OFF?

Goddamn. It becomes such an intense experience, without that goofy tune and just the sounds of your gun, the monsters and your partner blasting away in the distance...

Try it.

Neiteio

Goddamn. It becomes such an intense experience, without that goofy tune and just the sounds of your gun, the monsters and your partner blasting away in the distance...

Try it.
Mercs needs an option to endlessly loop Wind of Madness (Wesker Battle 1 theme from RE5).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Try it.

I might... thought about it, but I don't want to forget to turn it back on every time I play campaign! 0_0

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Try it.

I should probably plug in my iPod at some point. It would be quite fun to be chaining zombie kills while jamming out to some great progressive house. That shit will put me in the zone, baby.

Neiteio

I should probably plug in my iPod at some point. It would be quite fun to be chaining zombie kills while jamming out to some great progressive house. That shit will put me in the zone, baby.
If you listened to your iPod you'd lose a lot of the sound effects that telegraph the approach of enemies out of sight. It's too dangerous, good sir!!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i just ragequit. i was playing with my brother and i was
sherry in the hospital, i was chased by a fuckload of monsters, killed them, hid in a closet, and the new batch found me, and ofcourse i didnt know the password.

i hate it when games do shit like this.

Bladenic

i just ragequit. i was playing with my brother and i was
sherry in the hospital, i was chased by a fuckload of monsters, killed them, hid in a closet, and the new batch found me, and ofcourse i didnt know the password.

i hate it when games do shit like this.

You're supposed to use stealth attacks to get around that part. Then you can hide in a closet facing the door you're supposed to go through and wait for an enemy to go through and use the password so you can see it and use it afterward.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
You're supposed to use stealth attacks to get around that part. Then you can hide in a closet facing the door you're supposed to go through and wait for an enemy to go through and use the password so you can see it and use it afterward.

Yeah i know, i guess i got spotted 3 times for some reason. will try again later, still annoyed at it :p

Alfredo

Something we can agree on! I didn't like most of her scenarios, and her "witty" self-talk was annoying, too.

I also disliked Ada's campaign. Some of the puzzles in one of the chapters were extremely vague and one was poorly designed.

I liked how she talked to herself, though. I'm not sure if this was their intention, but it opened up her psychology, a bit. She seemed like a very lonely person. Her job as a spy makes it so she can't even talk to the people she cares about most, so she makes up conversations with them in her head. For once, I liked Ada as a character.

But I also hate how they're trying to turn her all badass, like a female Wesker or something.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

dark_chris

Gold Member
I still haven't gotten an answer for a question I posted sometime ago. But is Combo Bonus + apply to just combos or when you do Combo Time?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
RE6 is definitely the best voice acting and casting the series has ever had, hands down.

This is true, but given the history of the RE series, not an accomplishment.

Maybe I should make it explicit that I don't think their voices all being very similar is either positive or negative. It's just an observation (that I am not alone in making).

I also disliked Ada's campaign. Some of the puzzles in one of the chapters were extremely vague and one was poorly designed.

I liked how she talked to herself, though. I'm not sure if this was their intention, but it opened up her psychology, a bit. She seemed like a very lonely person. Her job as a spy makes it so she can't even talk to the people she cares about most, so she makes up conversations with them in her head. For once, I liked Ada as a character.

But I also hate how they're trying to turn her all badass, like a female Wesker or something.

The bolded is what irritated me. Characters talking to themselves in itself is not offensive to me on principle or anything like that. I get that it's an easy way for the character to express some personality even though they are alone. It's not natural, but hey, video games.

Atrarock

Just finished Ada's campaign. While RE6 does have its annoyances, overall I felt like it was definitely enjoyable and gets a lot of undeserved hate. There are indeed some sub par sequences, but I really liked it as a whole. I'd like to see Capcom revive Dino Crisis with this gameplay system.

Neiteio

The only thing disappointing about the way they handled Ada in RE6 is her loadout in Mercs. She requires near-flawless play: her machine pistol (her bread and butter) will run out of ammo real quick if you're not careful, and the crossbow bolts (non-explosive) won't kill outright unless you get a direct hit to the weak spot -- it takes like three shots to kill a normal zombie, and you have to reload each time. You can circumvent this a bit with quick-shots -- she'll instantly reload while back-flipping -- but quick-shots consume stamina, so I save them for hounds and bloodshots. A-ranking her to unlock her alternate was a bit of a pain... A shame, since she looks so cool. Makes me thankful she has her own campaign with reams of weapons to use...

Daigoro

The only thing disappointing about the way they handled Ada in RE6 is her loadout in Mercs. She requires near-flawless play: her machine pistol (her bread and butter) will run out of ammo real quick if you're not careful, and the crossbow bolts (non-explosive) won't kill outright unless you get a direct hit to the weak spot -- it takes like three shots to kill a normal zombie, and you have to reload each time. You can circumvent this a bit with quick-shots -- she'll instantly reload while back-flipping -- but quick-shots consume stamina, so I save them for hounds and bloodshots. A-ranking her to unlock her alternate was a bit of a pain... A shame, since she looks so cool. Makes me thankful she has her own campaign with reams of weapons to use...

yeah that load out sucks so bad. i was playing her today. such a drag because the outfit is so damn great. so hard to keep combos going with her.

see5harp

I've played Leon and that was probably less than average to me. If I had to play one more to get a fair assessment of the game which would that be?

Curufinwe

I've played Leon and that was probably less than average to me. If I had to play one more to get a fair assessment of the game which would that be?

Chris, I guess. Jake has the one thing that really annoyed me in the game (very poor visibility on level 2) but even that wasn't close to being the hellish ordeal some reviewers made it out to be.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well maybe I need to hold onto this game and play Jake and Chris then lol.

Honestly no one agrees on which is the best campaign. This game is just so polarizing that different people like different parts of it to different orders of magnitude. It's one of the few games where asking for a "GAF consensus" doesn't really make sense because it doesn't exist.

see5harp

Yea, I was lucky enough that Gamefly sent this to me on day one. I played all of the way through Lollipop Chainsaw despite feeling like that was the worst game I played all year so who knows maybe I'll just grit my teeth. I've got Dishonored and XCOM waiting on deck though.

Just finished Ada's campaign. While RE6 does have its annoyances, overall I felt like it was definitely enjoyable and gets a lot of undeserved hate. There are indeed some sub par sequences, but I really liked it as a whole. I'd like to see Capcom revive Dino Crisis with this gameplay system.

*drools*

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, I was lucky enough that Gamefly sent this to me on day one. I played all of the way through Lollipop Chainsaw despite feeling like that was the worst game I played all year so who knows maybe I'll just grit my teeth. I've got Dishonored and XCOM waiting on deck though.

Yeah, I don't know how familiar you are with all the combat mechanics (dodging, rolling, sliding, melee, quickshots), but figuring those out will definitely increase your enjoyment of the game. It markets itself as a horror game but it really is more of a skill-based shooter in the vein of Vanquish. It's why Mercenaries in RE6 is one of the most addictive game types ever.

see5harp

I thought Mercenaries was great in RE5. I love the tension of a waves based shooter with differing enemy types with a bunch of friends. It's why ODST Firefight is 10x better than Reach. I know all of the mechanics with running, rolling, dodging, and shooting now, which has made a lot of the action better. My main complaints with the game have to do with writing, narrative, pacing, framerate, level design..basically everything aside from the simple act of shooting.

Sectus

Whoo, 150 combo solo on High Seas!

High Seas is actually one of the easiest maps to get a 150 combo on. A TON of time bonuses around and if you stick around the middle of the deck and don't kill enemies too fast, you'll never have trouble with finding enemies. It's important to remember where the snipers and rocket dudes are though.

Can you guys help me with something regarding online co-op?

I've been playing this in bro-op mode, having a blast in professional campaign mode, we do one chapter every night. If I want to play with my friend, I set the game in "Private" mode, so I can invite him to play from the lobby.

But... we also want to be invaded by humans controlling monsters and play those special events where you meet with other characters, also controlled by humans.

How do we do it?

If I set up the game as "public"... then I can't invite my friend to play. Is there something i'm missing here?

Top Bottom