• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Riposte

I played last night and this morning and did not encounter the bug, thankfully.

The scripted events in this game are coming close to ruining every chapter for me. Why am I told to defend people near a gas station, and fight a ghoul on a truck near a gas station, only to have an ambulance barrel toward the gas station and activate my Continue screen? What buffoon designed these sequences? It's like I'm supposed to lose my first attempt at each chapter. I'm told everything will be explained when I get to Tall Oaks Cathedral, but I don't know...

If it makes you feel better Leon 1 has the worst of that stuff.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Leon Chapter 3 has been the low point of the game for me right now. So boring.

Jake Chapter 3 kinda picks up from there. Haven't completed it yet, probably will do that later.

I really wish people would stop joining my games and trying to skip cutscenes. I have "HERE FOR THE STORY" up there for a REASON, dudes.

bndadm

Also, more "Present codes" for RE Revelations:

abyss [Unlocks HG Beretta M92F Lv.1 - 4 Slots] -Expires ??/??/??-
globster [Unlocks HG PC356 Lv.1 - 6 Slots] -Expires 3/31/13-
ghiozzo - [Unlocks Windhan Lv1 - 4 Slots] -Expires ?/??/??-

Saw these at CAG so credits to them.

Thanks Treb! Redeemed.

Archon473

Haha that ambulance has killed every single person who has ever played RE6. Just shrug it off and move on. This game has a lot of quirks that will bug you if you let them, just think of the game as a dumb action game with a few screws loose and enjoy it for what it is.

If it makes you feel better Leon 1 has the worst of that stuff.

Haha, thanks for the calming words. I will take my first run foibles in stride. My friend and I had the hardest time playing Chris 1&2, but I had a blast replaying them solo because I knew exactly what I was in for. I'm loving every moment I'm aiming a gun and splattering heads.

cj_iwakura

Just finished the game, all four campaigns.

Great overall. Not as good as 4, way better than 5.

And Mercenaries? SO GOOD. The pinnacle, easily.

Just pre-ordered Revelations from WOWHD. They had 20% off this entire month. Under 30 euros for that game. Didn't wanna pay 60 for it since it's just a remastered game but I probably would've. Glad I got it for under 30 though. Can't wait.

RACHEL, ON THE SCENE!

cj_iwakura

Any advice on unlocking the costumes/getting A rank? From dabbling in the stages(got a B on all three), Steel Beast seems best. I'm aiming for Sherry's, which seems like no easy task. She only gets 9MM ammo. :(

And are any of the DLC stages worth it?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Any advice on unlocking the costumes/getting A rank? From dabbling in the stages(got a B on all three), Steel Beast seems best. I'm aiming for Sherry's, which seems like no easy task. She only gets 9MM ammo. :(

Steel Beast is actually the hardest of the levels to keep a combo going since there are three different floors you have to search for enemies. I think Mining the Depths is the easiest actually since there's that one large area in the middle where you can just hang out and have enemies come to you.

maomaoIYP

1) Learn item placements on the map, there are at least 3 green herbs and 1 red on every stage.
2) Depending on the map and your skill as you get more experienced, you will vary your strategy (collect everything first? or collect as you kill?). But a good starting point to learn any map just just collect everything before you start to kill.
3) If you're just aiming to unlock stuff first, don't worry if you've dropped the combo. Just stay alive and kill as many as you can. The score requirement for S rank is actually pretty low.
4) Find the most efficient way to kill each type of creature, preferably with a melee for the time bonus. Zombies can be killed by a lot of characters with just a counter. Javo's are best killed with a coup de grace for a beginner.
5) How to get a coup de grace on Javo: easiest method is a quickshot followed by a slide (or unarmed punch as Jake). A cheaper method is a headshot stun followed by a slide.
6) Not all characters are equal, in general alternate Chris is best against zombies while Jake is best for Javo.

If you're as addicted to mercs as most of us were, the maps are definitely worth it.

cj_iwakura

1) Learn item placements on the map, there are at least 3 green herbs and 1 red on every stage.
2) Depending on the map and your skill as you get more experienced, you will vary your strategy (collect everything first? or collect as you kill?). But a good starting point to learn any map just just collect everything before you start to kill.
3) If you're just aiming to unlock stuff first, don't worry if you've dropped the combo. Just stay alive and kill as many as you can. The score requirement for S rank is actually pretty low.
4) Find the most efficient way to kill each type of creature, preferably with a melee for the time bonus. Zombies can be killed by a lot of characters with just a counter. Javo's are best killed with a coup de grace for a beginner.
5) How to get a coup de grace on Javo: easiest method is a quickshot followed by a slide (or unarmed punch as Jake). A cheaper method is a headshot stun followed by a slide.
6) Not all characters are equal, in general alternate Chris is best against zombies while Jake is best for Javo.

If you're as addicted to mercs as most of us were, the maps are definitely worth it.

I might have spent more hours on Mercs in RE4 GC than the rest of the game, so yeah.
(I didn't play RE5's nearly as much though.)

Thanks for the hints.

bndadm

Well my Resident Evil 6 odyssey is now complete. Finished up fourth campaign last night.

Man those emblems unlock some CRUCIAL story bits. I did not play Halo 4, but this feels like those terminals that were hidden in that game (though RE6 didn't rely on any books previously).

Story overall is still the weakest but knowing a bit more about why some of the things happened through emblems and the fourth campaign really got me to like it a bit more.

Never had a problem with any of the boss fights (considering how a lot of people on here seemed so worked up about how hard they were). Actually the most annoying enemy in the game for me were those creatures on the carrier that would split into multiple pieces and eventually recombine again. Ugh!

I found just about half of the emblems on my own and figured that was good enough before going to a guide. I feel a little dirty looking them up, but I'm ready to move on from this game...

Except for Mercenaries. I'll be hitting that from time to time. So deliciously good (after never getting invested in previous games).

TheSeks

I can see why some people regard Jake Chapter 3 as the highpoint for the game. But personally the motorcycle chase was stupid as hell given how awful the motorcycle controls. The sequence itself isn't that hard (besides slamming into things given how awful the bike controls) just the controls for the bike and how it handles.

I'm getting really fucking sick of getting hit while trying to get into low-laying cover only to get back up and eat another attack promptly after only to restart the stun-fall-get-up cycle again.

Riposte

I can see why some people regard Jake Chapter 3 as the highpoint for the game. But personally the motorcycle chase was stupid as hell given how awful the motorcycle controls. The sequence itself isn't that hard (besides slamming into things given how awful the bike controls) just the controls for the bike and how it handles.

I'm getting really fucking sick of getting hit while trying to get into low-laying cover only to get back up and eat another attack promptly after only to restart the stun-fall-get-up cycle again.

I'm 99% sure that's Jake 4.

TheSeks

I'm 99% sure that's Jake 4.

If it is it's still stupid as hell. I stopped there and went to Chris 3 to do that, Chris 4, go back to Jack 4 finish up, finish Leon 4-5, Finish Chris, Finish Jake then do Ada's campaign.

cj_iwakura

If it is it's still stupid as hell. I stopped there and went to Chris 3 to do that, Chris 4, go back to Jack 4 finish up, finish Leon 4-5, Finish Chris, Finish Jake then do Ada's campaign.

Chris easily has the most annoying final battles. Leon's and Jake's are fun.

Ada's is really short. Starts out great, then loses steam real fast, but Chapter 4... well. You'll know when you get there.

jediyoshi

This game is quite fun. I'm assuming that costumes can only be unlocked through re.net

Costume 1 is unlocked by getting an A rank on a stage in regular mercs, Costume 2 is just a retexture of those costumes. I think 3 is only through the site

Manu

Guys, quick question. I'm trying to get better at Mercenaries and I'm pretty bad, I usually die halfway into a game and have trouble keeping the combo. I'm trying to play online (I had a shitty ISP before and was unable), but usually people either kick me out of their games or disconnect from mine when they see my lousy score.

Question is, should I keep trying to get better playing alone, or should I insist on playing coop with whoever wants to play with me? What's better in the long term?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, quick question. I'm trying to get better at Mercenaries and I'm pretty bad, I usually die halfway into a game and have trouble keeping the combo. I'm trying to play online (I had a shitty ISP before and was unable), but usually people either kick me out of their games or disconnect from mine when they see my lousy score.

Question is, should I keep trying to get better playing alone, or should I insist on playing coop with whoever wants to play with me? What's better in the long term?

I play most of my games online co-op, but I will get kicked every now from the lobby. It happens, don't feel too bad about it. Playing solo will make you better though if you want to practice, but I find playing with others more fun.

Manu

I play most of my games online co-op, but I will get kicked every now from the lobby. It happens, don't feel too bad about it. Playing solo will make you better though if you want to practice, but I find playing with others more fun.

Gotcha. I guess I'll just have to step up my game then.

One other thing: Are the additional multiplayer modes worth it? They look interesting.

maomaoIYP

Learn to get better playing solo, all the skills picked up solo are transferable to coop, but not vice versa.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Learn to get better playing solo, all the skills picked up solo are transferable to coop, but not vice versa.
Agreed. Playing solo is the way to go. Sure it'll be a little tougher for you, but you'll gain so much experience from it and become better fast. If you keep playing co-op, you'll just learn to rely too much on your partner (saving, time stones, combo stones, not losing combo, etc) and not for yourself. At least that's the way I look at it anyway. I love playing duo, but I learned the way of the Mercs playing solo. Memorize where all the time stones, green/red herbs, and first aid sprays are at on the maps.

Krelian

I dunno. For me it's not that much fun playing solo, so most games I play are co-op. I only play with one other person though, so it's a little different again. I'm usually the one getting all the time bonuses and if the combo is about to die I quickly try to save it too even if I know there's a partner there somewhere.

I tried to play a solo game recently. I had no problem keeping the combo going until a certain point. Didn't die though, so it's a win to me. So I think playing co-op is the way to go unless you enjoy playing solo.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Well, co-op is the way to go once you're pretty good at it. I personally love playing co-op on Mercs, but I still believe solo is the fast way of learning everything about Mercs and becoming decent at it.

Riposte

Chris Chapter 3 is some hot bullshit at the end.

Aside from it just not being an altogether interesting section, there is actually glitch involving controllers which may be preventing you from moving at full speed. If you can't beat it at all, it could be that. I ran into it for the first time on PC using a PS3 controller with the trigger functions set to L1/R1.

Manu

Okay, so I just did a 125 combo with Sherry EX2 in Urban Chaos, 485k.

Pretty bad compared to the things I've read here, but a lot more than my previous record of 85 and 180k. I'll keep practicing!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so I just did a 125 combo with Sherry EX2 in Urban Chaos, 485k.

Pretty bad compared to the things I've read here, but a lot more than my previous record of 85 and 180k. I'll keep practicing!

That's pretty decent actually, a 125 combo is nothing to scoff at.

Edit: Nice avatar haha. Sherry EX2 is my favorite character in Mercs.

TheSeks

Yeah, it bugged out for me online. So I left and restarted the checkpoint and somehow got through it. Still that sequence is bad. Like worse than the Motorcycle bit. Oy.

Jubern

Shit, I just started the game yesterday and went up to about half of Chris's chapter 2. Didn't realize it didn't save at checkpoints and had the unpleasant surprise to see I had to re-do the chapter from beginning :(
Who thought that was a good idea?

Mr_Zombie

Chris Chapter 3 is some hot bullshit at the end.

I agree. The end of Chris 3 and beginning of Jake 4 were bad. Graphics during the car chase reminded me of some old arcade games - it was terrible, the streets were empty, background buildings simple and poorly textured. I wonder who thought that this section, lasting so long, was a good idea.

bndadm

I agree. The end of Chris 3 and beginning of Jake 4 were bad. Graphics during the car chase reminded me of some old arcade games - it was terrible, the streets were empty, background buildings simple and poorly textured. I wonder who thought that this section, lasting so long, was a good idea.

Don't forget the fact that the vehicles "shudder" when you shoot them as if they were somehow physically reacting to your bullets. Or why your vehicle has a boost function...

Plus, driving a motorcycle off a ramp and plummetting hundreds of feet to the street below un-phased. I know suspension of disbelief, but that's garbage.

TheSeks

Don't forget the fact that the vehicles "shudder" when you shoot them as if they were somehow physically reacting to your bullets. Or why your vehicle has a boost function...

Plus, driving a motorcycle off a ramp and plummetting hundreds of feet to the street below un-phased. I know suspension of disbelief, but that's garbage.

Super Boy and Girl love story, dude. You can't realistic that.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yes yes, the vehicle sections are dumb and out of character with the rest of the game, but I actually enjoyed them. Crazy, I know. There's just something so silly about them that makes them enjoyable to me lol.

Jubern

Maybe it's because I read that thread about "how to play properly" with all the explanations about quickshot, the shortcuts and whatnot, but I have to say that after playing Chris 1&2 and Jake 1 I am, much to my surprise, enjoying the game quite a bit :x

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You don't have to justify why you're enjoying the game, it's a very solid TPS and an enjoyable experience overall. Just wait until you start playing Mercenaries; that's when the addiction begins.

Manu

You don't have to justify why you're enjoying the game, it's a very solid TPS and an enjoyable experience overall. Just wait until you start playing Mercenaries; that's when the addiction begins.

Indeed.

I still think it's funny how those of us who like the game are like "yeah, it's a flawed game with tons of problems but it's a lot of fun nonetheless", while the haters are like "it's a putrid ball of cancer that gave my console herpes."

Krelian

I still think it's funny how those of us who like the game are like "yeah, it's a flawed game with tons of problems but it's a lot of fun nonetheless", while the haters are like "it's a putrid ball of cancer that gave my console herpes."
This hyperbolic tendency is a quality that I can't stand in many of GAF's posters. There never seems to be a middle ground.

Anyway, the game is good and well worth its money. Lots of content, fun gameplay (minus vehicle bullshit and Chris chapter 5 ending) and Mercenaries.

bndadm

Maybe it's because I read that thread about "how to play properly" with all the explanations about quickshot, the shortcuts and whatnot, but I have to say that after playing Chris 1&2 and Jake 1 I am, much to my surprise, enjoying the game quite a bit :x

I still have to play the DLC for Resident Evil 5, but I tried out the RE 5 mercenaries after trying out RE 6 mercenaries, and it's really hard to adjust to not having the range of motion now available.

It doesn't make those games unplayable, I was just surprised how much I found myself really loving the combat mechanics in RE 6.

Just slow down the regular walking speed, have the camera options open from launch, and the template is there for some great future games (story not with standing).

I think people take advantage of that grenade glitch kill to get alot of kills in Onslaught to get up to 300%. You know how you can finish someone off and get x amount of seconds if you do it correctly in Mercenaries. Just played with some japanese player and he had 40-50 kills above me every time after 10 mins.

Grr! So frustrating. I only won once. And he had like 50+ wins with almost all characters.

Archon473

I think people take advantage of that grenade glitch kill to get alot of kills in Onslaught to get up to 300%. You know how you can finish someone off and get x amount of seconds if you do it correctly in Mercenaries.

What is this glitch and how do I do it in singleplayer?

Nemesis_

Siege is great fun too, I'm surprised at how much fun I'm having with the DLC so many months following the game.

I guess we're done now with RE6 - Capcom have moved onto newer things, right?

This hyperbolic tendency is a quality that I can't stand in many of GAF's posters. There never seems to be a middle ground.

The worst is that whole LOL GLAD I DIDNT BUY THIS or some stupid shit like that after seeing a bad screenshot or something. I hate the attitude. I also have to wonder how many people who criticised it even played it or made up their mind about it before even touching it.

Didn't help we had hyperbolic reviews from people like Jim Sterling giving it 3/10 :/

Yes, I'm still seething :p

Archon473

The worst is that whole LOL GLAD I DIDNT BUY THIS or some stupid shit like that after seeing a bad screenshot or something. I hate the attitude. I also have to wonder how many people who criticised it even played it or made up their mind about it before even touching it.

Nowadays people have more fun complaining about their entertainment than trying to enjoy themselves.

Manu

A little update. I've been playing a lot of Mercenaries this week, and I finally achieved a 150 combo (duo though) in Urban Chaos for 1080k. My solo highest score is 126 combo, 466k. I'm still aiming for the solo 150... I'm slowly getting there.

I've been playing some of the other MP modes, and while they're a lot of fun (Siege and Predator are pretty great) I find myself going back to Mercenaries, which I feel is the only mode where practice makes perfect and where I feel like getting better.

I'm also playing Demon's Souls which I got from PS+, and it makes me laugh how a lot of complaints people had about RE6 are present and are a lot more blatant, yet that game got critical acclaim. I know the games are nothing alike, but it's funny.

Riposte

Can anyone recall an instance where Capcom said there would be a single player DLC or at least something meaningful far into the future?

I mean at the end of the day the game didn't sell that bad, so I don't see it outside of the realm of possibility, but I would like to know if I'm basing my feelings on more than some months old speculation.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I hope we get a Reunion type DLC for Mercs...

With new melee moves and weapons just like RE 5. That's one of the things I found disappointing in the L4D content in the PC version...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I get the feeling Capcom is going to release a Mercs-only game with a bunch of characters and stages from across the RE timeline. I recall a Capcom spokesperson hinting at something like this a few months ago.

Top Bottom