• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I hope the guy responsible for that mess that RE6 is gets fired after the bad reviews.

We seriously need someone new who would put all his heart into the project and make it a real Resident Evil game again.

denshuu

I have no idea what it must be like to think to myself, "I'm really interested in this game, and I'm having fun with the demo, but I'm not going to play the full game unless Kevin VanOrd likes it." Being incapable of forming your own opinions must be pretty terrifying.

In other news, Tokyo Jungle is a hell of a lot of fun. Half of you will never know what it's like to play it though, since it has a 3/10 review out there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
A 4.5? OK seriously as "polarizing" as this game is going to be, a 4.5 means the game is broken beyond repair and that no one could possibly have any fun with it.

This game is really polished, has great graphics, and is giving us a 30 hour campaign. To give it a 4.5 means its mechanics have to be extremely broken to the point that the reviewer was unable to play the game. For fuck's sake, Skyrim PS3 got a 9.0 on Gamespot. To give RE6 half that score means there is something fundamentally wrong with the game, which I'm not buying.
You're reading too far into this.

Double Dragon Neon received a 3.0 from IGN just like God Hand and most of us here feel that both games are absolutely fantastic.

RE6 is definitely looking to be pretty divisive, however.

A video of actually competent players! The first stage of Mercenaries being done by two people online as Chris and Leon, get a 150 combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYpxFj6SQk

I also learned two things from this video about mercs in RE6:
-You can slide into time crystals to gain time, didn't know that and much faster than kicking them.
-Doing a 'strikeback' (reflecting an enemies attack back at them at the millisecond before they hurt you) gives you a 10 second bonus instead of 5.

All these new mechanics and people are still playing it like it was RE4 with a quick shot button added...., oh well.

ErikB

Banned
(assuming we are talking about a rational use of a 1.0-10.0 scale).

We are not, though. The scale is 7-10 (MAYBE 6 if the game particularly offends the reviewer), with games like Steel Battalion: Heavy Armour that flat out don't work getting 3.5

meta4

You're reading too far into this.

Double Dragon Neon received a 3.0 from IGN just like God Hand and most of us here feel that both games are absolutely fantastic.

RE6 is definitely looking to be pretty divisive, however.

While that is true judging from the demo I dont think we have got a cult hit or classic in the making unless something drastically changed in the final build. Seeing the streams I dont think that is the case.

I have no idea what it must be like to think to myself, "I'm really interested in this game, and I'm having fun with the demo, but I'm not going to play the full game unless Kevin VanOrd likes it." Being incapable of forming your own opinions must be pretty terrifying.

In other news, Tokyo Jungle is a hell of a lot of fun. Half of you will never know what it's like to play it though, since it has a 3/10 review out there.

Heaven forbid people actually wait for impressions on something they're about to pay 60 bucks for.

Oh god, the thumbs up mechanic from the demo just makes me laugh, over and over.

The biggest problem I have with the demo is the camera actually. Makes me nauseous.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
While that is true judging from the demo I dont think we have got a cult hit or classic in the making unless something drastically changed in the final build. Seeing the streams I dont think that is the case.

I also can't see someone saying the game is "broken" or has "terrible graphics" or that it is "unpolished." I'm sure some people think and believe that, but I just can't see it. So it stands to reason that some people will really enjoy the game and may consider it a classic. I think RE5 is one of the best games of this generation, but a lot of people are content to call it a piece of crap game that killed any tension or horror inherent to the Resident Evil series.

Heaven forbid people actually wait for impressions on something they're about to pay 60 bucks for.

While I understand that sentiment, I still feel like reviews are generally unreliable. Very rarely has a review actually agreed with how I feel about a game, so I usually get recommendations from like-minded individuals (i.e., GAF or friends), or I try the game for myself and see how I feel.

can you use the skill points in the demo? I didnt see any options to use them, and I didnt have the patience to finish any of the 3 demos.

Mantorok

Well I've just always felt the games were leading up to a global crisis ever since RE4 and 5 at least. It only makes sense to increase things to this level in a natural progression of sorts in my opinion. How many times storywise can you do "in a remote location, with a remote outbreak" scenario? It's already been done to death. This game truly feels like the world is about to be fucked from what I've played.

I got no problem with that, I guess it's just the direction in gameplay I'm not happy with, I just find it all too predictable and boring, probably just me.

Also having completed Leons first chapter, I found it anything but boring, and yes I'm a RE fan since the first originally released so I've seen it all.

The controls/camera didn't gel with me, and maybe I'm getting tired of the formula, I just didn't find any reason to get excited about it.

Mantorok

Oh god, the thumbs up mechanic from the demo just makes me laugh, over and over.

The biggest problem I have with the demo is the camera actually. Makes me nauseous.

Here here, the camera is a mess and I didn't feel like I could actually see anything around me, it feels claustraphobic, I didn't feel in control fully, they've really fucked it up this time.

Kikujiro

Famitsu has a really pro japanese games mentality. Since this Capcoms work...they would lean towards more positive reviews for "their" games.

Stop posting Famitsu reviews.

Famitsu is not pro Japanese, Famitsu is pro everyone who threw them a lot of money, the broken not Japanese Skyrim got a 40/40 on Famitsu, duh.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What's everyone going for here? Ps3 or 360?

I gotta make a choice here soon , as I have both pre ordered at newegg.

360 myself, but there's quite a few PS3 users. I'd say play the demo on both systems and decide which one you want.

Here here, the camera is a mess and I didn't feel like I could actually see anything around me, it feels claustraphobic, I didn't feel in control fully, they've really fucked it up this time.

Have you tried turning down the sensitivity? I personally crank it all the way up, but a lot of people have said dropping the sensitivity of camera and aiming down to like 3 or 4 has solved their camera issues.

denshuu

Hey, you can go about it however you want. I'm just saying that I don't need any one specific person to tell me if a game I'm playing right now is fun or not. I understand that that's beyond some people. More power to them.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Hey, you can go about it however you want. I'm just saying that I don't need any one specific person to tell me if a game I'm playing right now is fun or not. I understand that that's beyond some people. More power to them.

It's disingenuous to act like people are waiting for "one person's" review when they are really waiting for reviews, period.

But please keep on congratulating yourself for being such an independent thinker.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Are we sure there's only one song for Mercs? I don't know and there's nothing online, spoiler topic even, about this but looking through the music files there's two mercenary songs on the disk. There's the one we all have come to know, but there's another one I'm temporarily titling EX.

It doesn't have to be broken to be crap, it could just be the same old shit over and over again like RE5, which was a fucking bore-fest, not once did I feel refreshed by it.

Trust me, being the same thing over and over again is one of the last things RE6 needs to worry about. There's very few games I could say I was
weaponless and sneaking around a facility hacking video cameras with turrets to help my partner one moment, going right into a giant explorable palace running around exotic bathhouses and solving puzzle while collecting keys, only for a giant tank to come bursting through the wall out of nowhere and starting a really over the top chase sequence, resulting in hopping on a motorbike and revving through buildings as helicopters try to shoot me down.

Also, while peoples opinions will differ, I really do love the music in this game. I think this may very well be the best Resident Evil soundtrack yet. A few songs are orchestrated, of particular notice are the final boss themes. If anyone is curious, you can listen to them below. No worries, I have set on only approved comments and kept the info vague so those who just want to hear the music with no spoilers can sample them.

Chris's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1bviAtW4I
Jake's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl6bw3jwYTQ

What's wrong with that ? If the game let you play in very distinctive manners and you can choose the way you'll get the most enjoyment from it, it's a plus in my book.

I found it quite boring, specially regarding Mercs. People used that, shoot in the head -> melee on repeat forever in RE4 and RE5 and now is quick shot/shoot in the head -> melee on repeat forever.

Specially now, that since there's is a limit on enemies there's no need to extend indefinetly the time.

I found it quite boring, specially regarding Mercs. People used that, shoot in the head -> melee on repeat forever in RE4 and RE5 and now is quick shot/shoot in the head -> melee on repeat forever.

Specially now, that since there's is a limit on enemies there's no need to extend indefinetly the time.

There was always a limit of 150 kills, which automatically gave an SS rank. I don't know how anybody else plays Mercs, but I always go after time first, THEN focus on trying to get a high score.

Dusk Golem

I also should mention I think the arenas were made bigger for (here comes people complaining) the DLC modes. Things like Versus Mode, Ustanak Mode, Siege Mode, and the likes. Pretty sure (though not certain) those will use the same stages, so I'm guessing they were designed with them all in mind.

See, this is the problem with looking so hard at numbers being used to assess a complex, multifaceted experience and product. The text, which provides context and real information and opinion from the writer, should be the only important part of the review. Scores are for marketing departments. That said, this game, just from the demo, seems only redeemable for those that have an issue with its camera if only Capcom would fix it post-release. There's no fucking way I'm putting up with the greatest game in the universe if the main view on the action is just headache-inducing, gameplay-sapping shit. And, no, tweaking the camera and control sensitivities doesn't really address the shit design decisions or crap camera in that demo.

Pranay

Heads up for people dl RE6 via psn especially plus users

20$ off if you buy 100$ content next month on psn.

So you can get RE6 for 43$

Cool deal i guess

I guess this option would cheaper for me

latest 360 build was solid, no visible tearing that I could see. very solid. engine impressed me, though the content did not (didnt seem as colorful and interesting as RE5, though that could be nostalgia goggles)

usual low quality textures as expected on consoles, which is one of the downsides of being a PC gamer - PC sleeping dogs asia is so superior to the console asia (dark streets, neon signs, food stalls etc)

Heads up for people dl RE6 via psn especially plus users

20$ off if you buy 100$ content next month on psn.

So you can get RE6 for 43$

Cool deal i guess

I guess this option would cheaper for me

It's a deal if this game turns out to be decent :) Personally I'm waiting on reviews before putting down $60 on this game.

Pranay

It's a deal if this game turns out to be decent :) Personally I'm waiting on reviews before putting down $60 on this game.

Waiting for reviews here as well

I am a bit confused though i expect -ve reviews lol but i am a huge re fan so most likly will end up playing it.

Retail games of capcom here are quite expensive, same for bethesda so i guess this deal is better for me he :)

Riposte

I also should mention I think the arenas were made bigger for (here comes people complaining) the DLC modes. Things like Versus Mode, Ustanak Mode, Siege Mode, and the likes. Pretty sure (though not certain) those will use the same stages, so I'm guessing they were designed with them all in mind.

Urban Chaos is the only stage that looks bad to me so far and it isn't even that big I think. My problem with it is just that there are few enemies. I'm not counting it out yet though.

EDIT: I'm largely convinced RE5 will be better than RE6 in most aspects, but I see RE6 having a different appeal. (Also I should note I quite like RE5.)

Waiting for reviews here as well

I am a bit confused though i expect -ve reviews lol but i am a huge re fan so most likly will end up playing it.

Retail games of capcom here are quite expensive, same for bethesda so i guess this deal is better for me he :)

Yeah I'm a big RE fan as well but mainly of the older games. Didn't care for 5, not sure how I will feel about this one.

Speaking of modes, was the "Survival" mode you found in the files ever proven to be in? I think I'd enjoy that as much, maybe even more, than Mercenaries.

Dusk Golem

Speaking of modes, was the "Survival" mode you found in the files ever proven to be in? I think I'd enjoy that as much, maybe even more, than Mercenaries.

Last Stand Mode you mean? Capcom has made no mention of it as DLC. Maybe it's in the game, all the other uncovered modes have either been confirmed as unlockable or DLC so far besides that one. I was just talking about how there was a second Mercenaries song on the disk but I don't know what it was for. Could it be for Last Stand Mode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadQ1F0Z_Rg

That's not what I meant. Still sounds kind of fun though. And Dusk Capcom did mention "one more mode" when everyone (including me) was thinking the 3 modes announced were on the disc.

EDIT: After talking about the other modes he goes on to say there is another mode, already on the disc, that is a mix of existing data and newly downloaded data:

www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2012/9/12/resident-evil-6-first-dlc-info

Top Bottom