• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo now on PC [Steam]

Rizific

6600k + 1070 at 1440p everything very high/shadows high, ssao, fxaa+taa and im at 110-130fps in the house. it was short, but i liked what i played!

Looks great at 4k60 on a C6 OLED. Maxed out except for SSAO instead of HBAO+. I got spooked and had to quit.

I can't seem to enable HDR though? Not seeing an option for it.

Can't get the game to run. I get into the menu just fine but after the loading icon pops up the game crashes. Not sure why, my drivers are up to date.

Edit: More people having same issue on Steam community. I'll wait for a fix.

me0wish

Performs excellently well, I'm just surprised that it doesn't have 21:9 support. Please add 21:9 to it Capcom :(

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
SO, here's a copy & paste of my instructions of how to do the hidden puzzle in Resident Evil 7 from what we know. DON'T READ THIS UNTIL YOU'VE PLAYED ALL THE DEMO, it has HUGE spoilers. Know there's a lot more to do in the demo outside of the 'bad' ending where you go out the backdoor, play the demo a second time and use what you learned in the VHS sequence to see what I'm talking about if you haven't already.

With that said, here's spoilers of how to do the cryptic puzzle, which unlocks a secret item in the final game:

So here's what has been figured out to what you need to do for the 'Five Graves Puzzle' in the Midnight Version demo of Resident Evil 7, and all the steps involved, which were figured out by online people coming together including here on GAF in the Demo 'There's More, Right?' topic.

---

261a43c06475ff612403f8aa32f688a7.png

The existence and confirmation of a deeper puzzle was stumbled upon by myself while I was messing around and found the solution to a riddle unintentionally, told GAF & Reddit, and that set into motion a 7-8 hour hunt to figure it out.

The first few instructions have been validated by many of what you exactly need 100%, these steps are to do the puzzle and are needed to get it going:

STEP 1: When you begin the demo and awaken from the floor, pull the lever in the fireplace to go inside.

c15f0e898131e860f01d8cbb82181cb3.png

A secret wall department opens up, inside you find a fuse. Put the fuse in the fusebox in the room with the same fireplace, but you don't need to go upstairs yet (you can, but don't need to, to save a bit of time it'll be easier to do Step 2 first, as you need to do this eventually to trigger the puzzle).

STEP 2: In the new demo update, the moldy door to the right when you exit the TV/fireplace/piano room is now open. Go inside, and in the hallway there's a cabinet to the left of the restroom entrance. In it you find a blank notebook.

STEP 3: Pick up the Dummy Finger from the drawer next to the stairs to the second floor/across from the entrance to the Kitchen. Now go to the second floor by the stairs in the kitchen and lower the stairs to the attic (you can do this before or after, it's just simpler to pick up the notebook first). Go upstairs to the phone room in the attic and the room behind the broken wall. Read the scrawls on the wall next to the TVs, Ladder, and locked door. When you have the notebook in your possession and read the wall scrawl riddle, you'll here a distinctive child giggle. Check your inventory and examine your notebook and you'll find the blank notebook now has a verse in it, which reads:

"Grace will not wake when the clock makes its chime.
Her covers are heavy and it's her last bedtime.
"

Also make sure to pick up the Celluoid Object hidden in the stack of TVs directly to the left of this message. In your inventory combine it with the Dummer Finger to get the Dummy Hand.

762fd9d219fce45140144f521f03ab91.png

This basically starts the puzzle, though from here on out it becomes important you need things to trigger certain events. I'll try to format it in such a way to make it clear what you need.

---

SO EVERYTHING YOU'VE DONE SO FAR has set you up to solve the puzzle, triggered it, and gotten you the first 'Giggle' below:

GIGGLE #1: While holding the Blank Notebook, observe the scrawls on the wall in the attic.

There are two things you must trigger to solve this puzzle, Giggles & Murder Spots. The scrawl tells you that you need to point to five places where people were murdered, and to do this you need the Dummy Hand. However, you have to do all of these things in order.

Every time you get a Giggle, a new riddle is written in your Notebook. You can only activate a murder spot once you've gotten the giggle to trigger. There are 5 Giggles and 5 Murder Spots in total, and they MUST be done in order.

So once you've triggered the Giggle, you can trigger the first Murder Spot.

---

MURDER SPOT #1: The clue talks about a clock and a heavy sheet for their final sleep. The answer is down on the first floor, next to where you got the Dummy Finger, there is a Clock on the wall. To the left of the clock is a fallen bookshelf. Go to your inventory, examine the Dummy Hand, and point it towards the Fallen Bookshelf.

1ce91f92873694277e8421f5867e3c90.png

If you did it incorrectly, the Dummy Hand will slightly move when you leave it still to point you in the right direction. Do it right and the camera will get blurry, will slowly zoom in, and you'll hear the sound of a bookshelf falling over.

Once this has triggered, you won't get any new clues, but if you go to the basement attic, the locked door next to the scrawled graves riddle now has a bloody handprint on it.

3c789052f37a8deda0aa3a48716e5069.png

---

GIGGLE #2: Credit to GAF user NightShift for discovering this next one. Now you will need something for this to trigger.

To get the second giggle to trigger, like how the first trigger needed you to have the blank notebook to trigger, you will need an item in your inventory... The Derelict House VHS Tape. To get it, get the pliers from the room past the kitchen with all the cow corpses. Then go to the cabinet next to the kitchen and break the chain with it. Open the cabinet and pick up the VHS tape. You don't need to go inside the VHS tape world (yet) but can if you want (I'll get to what you need from it later in the next Giggle step (#3)).

Once you have the VHS Tape in your inventory, go upstairs to the attic and go pass the phone room to the boarded door at the end of the hallway. Look at the light next to the door. If you have the VHS Tape in your possession, a Giggle will be heard and you get a new verse in your notebook:

"Phil's tucked in tight on his cold, stiff bed
He's having sweet dreams of not being dead.
"

---

MURDER SPOT #2: Now to get this Murder Spot, you'll need the Basement Key from the attic (which is on the table next to the bed) and enter the basement by unlocking the steel door in the hallway where you got the Blank Notebook. In the basement is a monster. It doesn't matter for any of this if you kill it, don't kill it, get infected, or are not infected at all. If you are infected just make sure not to get near the ladder in the attic and you'll be fine. The monster will despawn if you pick up the attic key in the basement and leave (the attic key is in the side room on a shelf above eye level with a doll). This whole process will be much easier if you despawn or kill the monster. It also is possible to not spawn the monster (don't pick up the Valve yet and don't go to the side room yet), but you'll have to escape afterwards.

e4b53d4c61f342e846588600a8fa9e03.png

Now in the basement what you need to do is quite simple. There is a body on a cold steel table/gurney, it's the only one rested on something (that's not the floor). Take the Dummy Finger and point at it. The camera will act weird and you'll hear a gunshot sound to know you did it right.

---

GIGGLE #3: Now it's from here when things start to get tricky. You will need the Axe to do the next thing. There's a Lockpick you can use to get the axe in the basement (before you enter the morgue by the stairs on a generator), but it's not clear if you need this lock pick in the future to trigger any of the Giggles or Murder Spots (or what this lockpick may go to other than the axe). But for security reasons, it might be best to go into the VHS World, as there's another lockpick in here that can only be used to get the axe (and can be picked up any time you return to the VHS world).

In the VHS world, between the microwave and the fridge is a little space. Crouch down and look behind there to find a lockpick. then find the locked cabinet in the same room (kitchen) and unlock it with the lockpick. Finish the VHS sequence, and then in the current day go to the same cabinet. It'll be unlocked and you'll be able to get the Axe (while also keeping the modern day lockpick and not use it in case it's needed for a future step).

Now take the axe and go in front of the lady wearing a bag on the stairs next to the kitchen, it's between the first and second floor.

1c3a7de41770e5aa0b74a6d0f206ea56.png

Now swing the axe at it and it should giggle. You'll get the following riddle:

"Stanley was told to go hide and they'd seek
But they wouldn't let him out no matter how much he shrieked.
"

Some people CANNOT get this to trigger for some reason, if it doesn't work after trying to axe it, try to finish the VHS sequence once or shoot it or something, heard some people say trying different odd things like this got it to trigger.

IN NEED OF CLARIFYING: Is this all needed for the girl to giggle for this? Some people had a lot of trouble triggering this, so is something else needed? Do you need an item as well? I heard one person say you can also shoot it as opposed to just use the axe, is that true?

This is the first one in need of clarification, but there's a bigger one coming up in a few steps.

---

MURDER SPOT #3: Very close to where the painting was. there is a room beneath the stairs that has a lot of hanging voodoo dolls from the ceiling. Take the finger and point it at the sealed door beneath the basement, and the screen should do its effect and you'll hear someone falling down the stairs.

85bf2011a39f9f840f2534b3ee6116fa.png

---

GIGGLE #4: This is also literally right next to where you found the third murder spot. Right next to it down the hall is a black cracked mirror. Stand in front of it and look into it, and then do a quick-turn (on PS4, to do a quick turn is holding down and pressing the Circle O button). The Girl should giggle.

The verse you get for it:

"Marlene was so proud of her white and blue necklace
It made her feel tall and left her quite breathless.
"

CLARIFICATION NEEDED: Maybe you need something in your inventory for this one to trigger?

---

MURDER SPOT #4: Go upstairs to the attic. There's white and blue wires all throughout the house, but only one spot that they cross, which is towards the ceiling of the attic over the bed. Point the finger towards it and it should trigger with a sound to notify.

b84400920ca3fe6af235fd3a77d13f12.png

---

GIGGLE #5: This one a solution is believed to be known, but not 100%.
A LOT of clarification needed.

So, the basic idea is the giggle triggers when you go into the basement and look at this doll:

b78f95a25b44f1c1d5a108314120010a.png

It is near where you got the attic key in the basement, and it has triggered for several, myself included. However, HOW it triggers is not quite clear or under what conditions. Some have tried over and over again to get it work, and no one so far is 100% certain what makes this doll trigger the giggle.

I was one of the first streams to get to the end of this, I looked at the doll for ages and it wouldn't trigger. But then I went to the VHS world, I did a pretty basic vanilla run and followed Pete, came back and then the doll giggle triggered immediately. You can see my run and me doing this here:

Here are the 7 spots in the VHS demo where the ghost appears (in order of appearance) most of them will only trigger if you look at them at specific points in time (can't just stare at the point or they won't trigger). Highly believed you need to see two ghost points (not in a single playthrough but altogether) for the final giggle to trigger:

4387a02d9aafca843de96c121b991dde.png
10dfb43bd730b75669abf8385452cebb.png
12c9816a9eae90fa3ee06f3ad13183f3.png
3f02976a12fd836e644b01a1917ddddb.png
7fc8f5c62348f7f89f5de3164252fd76.png
ed0911541e427993b9041a192f0c6e17.png
ec6393f6071f1b7a9ef62393a175dd88.png

---

You get this final verse in your book:

"Timmy did not mind the harsh light of four suns
Eyes require heads and he did not have one.
"

---

GIGGLE #5: The riddle is complicated but the place is easy. Go to the Kitchen and point it to the stew on the table. What a poor fate for little Timmy to become supper. You'll hear a sound to confirm you've done it.

---

THE REWARD:

Once you've done all of this, all the bloody handprints will now be on the door upstairs.

8d89fb1f8fe0fc028180c1f311928ff0.png

The door will now be unlocked, and you can step inside. You walk inside and find a rocking chair swaying back and forth. There is something in the chair. You walk around and see this billboard staring back at you:

a3f51188bb5caf352f750c798ec8f1a8.png

A coin rests on the board, you pick it up and obtain the Dirty Coin. The description of the coin reads:

"An old, commemorative coin. It has something that looks like mold sticking to it."

Then you can finish the demo, get any of the three endings, and at the end this message will appear:

b4d279e13ab695dfc9854c576c1f4791.png

Coins are used as a collectible 'currency' in RE7 to open up bird cages (not micro-transactions, collectibles in the game), the bird cages contain weapons, supplies, permanent upgrades, and the like. There's different types of coins.in RE7, but this one hasn't been seen before, so it could very well unlock some exclusive item in the main RE7 game if you have the demo save file on your hard drive.

---

There's still some steps that need to be completely figured out (Giggle #3 & Giggle #5 specifically), and there might be more to the demo (the phone notably is completely absent in this final demo, it's still there but no one has found a use for it), but that would be the solution and working details of the Five Graves Puzzle.

Looks great at 4k60 on a C6 OLED. Maxed out except for SSAO instead of HBAO+. I got spooked and had to quit.

Yeah.. I don't think this demo supports HDR.

I just grabbed Shadow Warrior 2.. which has a HDR toggle in the menu.. and it's freaking gorgeous (and works great).

There's an odd shimmering effect going on with shadows on the ground at a distance. Also the SMAA setting is about as rough as it was on Alien Isolation.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Weird I was getting 80 - 100 FPS in the starting room but when I left and started walking around the house my framerate completely tanked into the low 30's.

Very odd.

EDIT: Restarted the demo and now it's fine. *shrug*

Javin98

Banned
Great to hear the PC version looks fantastic as well. I already
got the coin
on the PS4 version, and will get the full game on PS4 as I will be showing it off to relatives and my PC is hard to move around, but I might just download this demo from Steam to give it a try. My i5 6500/GTX 1060 combo should have no issues plowing through it on max settings at 1080p.

Momentary

Banned
Weird I was getting 80 - 100 FPS in the starting room but when I left and started walking around the house my framerate completely tanked into the low 30's.

Very odd.

What are you running and what settings? I was having similar issues, but not it tanking down to the 30's.

What are you running and what settings? I was having similar issues, but not it tanking down to the 30's.

I have a similar problem.. though it recovers to 60 after a second.

Using latest nvidia drivers.. 376.33

i7 6700k @ 4.6
16GB DDR4
Titan X Pascal @ +200/+400mhz
game is installed on a samsung 950 pro NVMe drive.

with everything turned up to very high, it was dropping to below 30 fps @ 4k resolution.. so I dropped to 1080p... there it stays 60 most of the time.. though when I look in a direction, it may drop to 30.. when I look away, it goes back up to 60.. if I look back, it stays 60.. so maybe some kind of loading/caching thing.

Momentary

Banned
Borrowed some pics over on the console screenshot side (credit to chandoog) to do a comparison. Not trying to start anything here whatsoever. I just wanted to show a comparison between a high-end PC and console.

Console version looks good, but this shows how Capcom is actually putting in some extra care on this port. Fantastic job.

(PC version is running Max everything with Chromatic Aberration turned off, SSAO, and 5K downsampled to 1080p running at 60~65fps.)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194167

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194168

I have a similar problem.. though it recovers to 60 after a second.

Using latest nvidia drivers.. 376.33

i7 6700k @ 4.6
16GB DDR4
Titan X Pascal @ +200/+400mhz
game is installed on a samsung 950 pro NVMe drive.

with everything turned up to very high, it was dropping to below 30 fps @ 4k resolution.. so I dropped to 1080p... there it stays 60 most of the time.. though when I look in a direction, it may drop to 30.. when I look away, it goes back up to 60.. if I look back, it stays 60.. so maybe some kind of loading/caching thing.

I have almost the exact same build except for the 6700K. It's HBAO+. It is super damn taxing at anything over 1440p. Also either try setting your the refresh rate to 120fps and or turning off Vsync if you have vsync and gysnc turned on. I was having an issue where the game brought me down to 72 fps after setting it to 144hz.

For some reason I have issues with VSYNC where it will lock a game down to a frame rate native to 120 like 60 or 30..... or if you're using 144hz either 72 or 48.

I have almost the exact same build except for the 6700K. It's HBAO+. It is super damn taxing at anything over 1440p.

That it is.

I'll try w/ HBAO+ off and see what happens to performance. Could be that a release nvidia driver will improve the HBAO+ performance so it doesn't hit the framerate as hard.

I don't have g-sync.. I game on a 4K OLED. I do think it's doing a double-buffer thing.. which is why it drops to 30 when it can't maintain 60.. I'll force triple buffering in the control panel and see how it behaves then.

Gitaroo

Wider FOV is a game changer, CA toggle too. Anyone know how to contact the dev to add those two features to the consoles version?

Spoo

If anything this PC demo actually contextualizes the console versions pretty well as really solid versions of the tech. I have a good PC, and the image quality here is pretty high, but I also have played the demo on PS Pro / VR and while the PC of course gets the winning numbers, the two versions sit comfortably in my mind as both really excellent.

I think it would be, in order of how I want to play the game, PSVR -> PC -> Ps Pro/PS4. (Of course, when the VR exclusivity runs out, PC players are going to have an amazing time on whatever gen Oculus or Vive they have)

aravuus

Oh lol, I don't think I even knew this was coming for PC too.

Game seems to run just fine maxed out @1440p. Not 144fps, but definitely over 60 at all times. PC version it is.

Demo is still creepy as fuck.

dlauv

Has anyone seen the vhs girl at 90 fov? Because I haven't.

Also, on max, I'm getting really bizarre shimmering artifacts. It looks horrible. It has something to do with the way surfaces react to light and it just moves and looks really unnatural.

Edit: Thanks wbacon!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Will it still be available when the game releases?

That's really an answer that only WBacon and Capcom knows.
---

Anyway, the bad ending is pretty straight-forward.
Get the key and then book it the hell out of the house
. It's late for me, so I can't fully explore it, but the idea of a first-person horror perspective is already P.T.-tred ground, but it's nice to see Capcom trying to do their own take on that.

That said, so far my feelings are this isn't in a Biohazard series title. Then again the series hasn't been a thing for me since like Bio4 where it went totally action. So, the horror focus is nice, but I want my zombies back. :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Did some testing and in my case the weird performance issue I was having is related to switching from windowed to fullscreen or back. If I switch mid game the framerate will tank after I leave the first room. If I start the game in fullscreen it's totally fine all the way through.

i7 4770k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce 980, GSync monitor.

atbigelow

...I had no idea this game was going to be first-person, haha.

Runs pretty great on my RX480. Also was really sucked-in on my first playthrough. Incredibly excited.

Jinroh

Does anyone know what the interlacing option changes? I tried turning it on and off but didn't see any difference.

wbacon

Capcom USA
Will it still be available when the game releases?

The Teaser demo will be accessible at all times regardless of whether you own the full game or not. It's treated as a separate application.

In terms of the demo experience, it is completely separate from the full game. More to the point, the demo segment doesn't exist in the full game.

zoobzone

Just finished the demo and it was great, spooky and definitely feels more like a survival horror than previous iterations.

Is there no 21:9 option? I choose 3440x1440 and it was still 16:9 with borders on the side for me.

well, I turned off HBAO+ and put it on SSAO.. and I'm north of 70 fps w/ everything on 'very high' running @ 4k res.. that setting really is expensive here.

Carlius

Banned
i gave it a shot..got spooked out..tomorrow iwll try again during the day lmao its 4 am here, time for bed. plays great. will def buy.

SliChillax

Cmon man, HBAO+ is a must have option.

I couldn't get myself to play it. Lasted about 15 minutes then NOPED the fuck out

Joey Ravn

Banned
Awesome. I've played the original PS4 demo, but never got to play the updates. I'll gladly do it on PC, thank you very much :)

And this is timely, too, since I'm one episode away from completing RERev2 and finally getting caught up to the series! At least, the 9 core games: RE1-6, Rev 1 and 2 and CVX.

Borrowed some pics over on the console screenshot side (credit to chandoog) to do a comparison. Not trying to start anything here whatsoever. I just wanted to show a comparison between a high-end PC and console.

Console version looks good, but this shows how Capcom is actually putting in some extra care on this port. Fantastic job.

(PC version is running Max everything with Chromatic Aberration turned off, SSAO, and 5K downsampled to 1080p running at 60~65fps.)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194167

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194168

I have almost the exact same build except for the 6700K. It's HBAO+. It is super damn taxing at anything over 1440p. Also either try setting your the refresh rate to 120fps and or turning off Vsync if you have vsync and gysnc turned on. I was having an issue where the game brought me down to 72 fps after setting it to 144hz.

For some reason I have issues with VSYNC where it will lock a game down to a frame rate native to 120 like 60 or 30..... or if you're using 144hz either 72 or 48.

just looks like the pc version is missing light bounces. the lighting in the console shots is closer to reality

Cmon man, HBAO+ is a must have option.

I couldn't get myself to play it. Lasted about 15 minutes then NOPED the fuck out

HBAO+ is nice, but it's not 40 FPS nice. Takes me from ~90 to ~50. The difference isn't big enough to warrant turning down other settings to try and fit it in.

Whoever plays this in VR is a braver person than me. I noped out pretty hard.

Played through on PSVR and yeah it's pretty nopey, but I got through it, cannot wait to attempt playing the whole game like it, given that Outlast scared that crap out of me I'm expecting I will need a few breaks in playing this game.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So it's established that Color Space is HDR? I enable 7.9 and my TV never tells me that HDR video is playing.

I've gotten HDR running on PC before with Shadow Warrior 2 so I know it's set up right. What's up?

Performs excellently well, I'm just surprised that it doesn't have 21:9 support. Please add 21:9 to it Capcom :(

Really?! :(
First Dark Souls 3 and now this. Are Japanese developers in general not really good with supporting this resolution? Very disappointing that this feature is missing.
Was really looking forward to this.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Looking glorious in 4k. Anyone know how to pull up fps? I'm running Nvidia'em overlay which usually works.

Confirming that HBAO+ made everything super slow. I loved from max settings to high and switched to the next highest from HBAO+ and seems to be running fine, but would really like to confirm.

bee

i always just choose max settings then start turning things down/off if the fps is below 40, this one was pretty easy, at 4k hbao+ = 25fps, 4k ssao = 60fps, TAA only is the best aa solution for this imo although not played much, will have to wait until i get home

Spinky

Well, fuck. This is way more immersive on PC. I'm creeped the fuck out and I've played this multiple times before.

What the hell is resolution scaling supposed to do, though? Kills my performance if I turn it up. Otherwise it runs fine for me.

Top Bottom