• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Early Impressions Thread (MARK SPOILERS!!)

bidguy

Banned
anyone know how much the sound factors into the experience here ? ive bought a pair of nice headphones and hoped they could be put to good use here

As I've said earlier, I can only find it reminiscent to RE1 because of the survival horror nature of the game. Some people have said it feels like an old school RE game, but I honestly can't "feel" that, neither can my friends that watched me play almost every RE game.

That's fair. Im only speaking from watching the leaks. Won't know how I feel for sure until I play it myself. Glad to hear it's a great regardless of being an RE title though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
anyone know how much the sound factors into the experience here ? ive bought a pair of nice headphones and hoped they could be put to good use here
The sound design was really good in the demo. I assume it's an even bigger deal in the full game with the Bakers stomping about.

me0wish

We've been playing in a surround sound set up, and it felt great. The use of sound in the game is definitely a major factor to the experience.

That's all for now, gonna update my impression first thing in the morning. Good night everyone!

Yeah this game seems to be more about atmosphere, ambiance, and just immersion in general. I'd imagine the sound work is quite good.

Erebus

For me as long as it ends up tying into the rest of the lore, I'm down. It seems to have some of the basic staples too, such as the item management and all that bullshit. RE4 didn't feel like RE at all to me and neither did 5 and 6, but 5 at least tied in very well, at least I thought, which could be why I like that one the most of those three. 4 and 6 do tie in, but 4 especially feels like an isolated spinoff. 7 can feel different but if it's a great game and ties into everything that's all I'm really asking for.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. So far RE7 has shown no ties with the Resident Evil universe, at least not from what Capcom has showed us. I just hope that the lore is there and they simply want to surprise us but it would be really infuriating if the only connection to the RE back story is the recent leak
about a major RE character dying at the end.

I'm not going near the spoiler thread, but for anyone who has checked it out, what seems to be the early consensus? Are things generally positive? No spoilers of course.

Eerbus, I wanted to quote you but when you quote you can see what's in the spoiler bars :p

I think where RE7 is going to be more of an isolated incident with new protagonists that it may feel separate in that regard, but it's still in the same chronology so I think this separate story can become a new part of the lore in general. Like even if it's not an absolute direct continuation of RE6 (and thank god for that right), it can be its own story in regards to the new characters, but they can do it in a way where it all generally ties into the rest of the series or at least partially. Like if, and this is pure speculation simply based on a very small detail in the demo but I'll tag it anyway,
it ends up being that Umbrella used this plantation/Baker family to test a new virus, that's a new story that still ties into the series
... but of course it'll be interesting to see if there's anything more to it than that, if that's the case.

Definitely, game probably has the best footsteps I've ever heard in video games. I was definitely impressed with the demo's sound design.

Do we know how Baker "operates?" Like is he stalking you through the entire game, is it scripted for key moment encounters, etc? I do get the feeling from footage that it's a little random at least.

I feel your pain! The seconds seem like hours. I really, really, really hope that Capcom releases the game a little early (like this weekend, perhaps)! Wishful thinking, I know :(

Supposed to get a review copy but PR went super dark and thinking were getting denied unfortunately. Either way, it's like waiting the on the edge. Ha.

hyRbISn.jpg

dan2026

Wish I could solve that damn demo,
Tried a dozen times and can't get past the 5th riddle part. Nobody seems to know what exactly to do.

Kinda fucking dumb to be honest.

Tried a dozen times and can't get past the 5th riddle part. Nobody seems to know what exactly to do.

Crouch over
doll in basement
has nothing to do with triggering the ghosts

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Man this wait is killing me. The worst week ever haha.

Scrolling the spoiler thread was fun until the big leaks started coming. I'm excited to play it. I've been a fan since the original. I don't mind the first person view because fans have had camera changes for years.
The vibe of being an actual resident in RE seems fun. Granted I haven't read a lot because I'm going into this with an open mind.

Didn't you get XV early? The wait is just gonna get worse and worse with early copies being out in the wild. I gave up on the chance of ever picking up something early unless Amazon ships it that way.

I think Capcom hit the spot with all this cryptic gameplay coming back.

Scrolling the spoiler thread was fun until the big leaks started coming. I'm excited to play it. I've been a fan since the original. I don't mind the first person view because fans have had camera changes for years.
The vibe of being an actual resident in RE seems fun. Granted I haven't read a lot because I'm going into this with an open mind.

Didn't you get XV early? The wait is just gonna get worse and worse with early copies being out in the wild. I gave up on the chance of ever picking up something early unless Amazon ships it that way.

I think Capcom hit the spot with all this cryptic gameplay coming back.

Yeah I got XV early on my own. Resident Evil wise, I know we got Revelations 2 early from PR as I got all the episodes up front. Yeah I've got to be very careful spoilers at this point for 7. Been a huge fan since the first game and lots of stuff leaking already.

jukah

Neo Member

when you ready to look for the ghost it took me three video tries, before you replay the video, go upstairs look at the headphones, then go play the tape, stay close to pete, when you in the kitchen, do everything, open fridge, microwave, drawer, and anything else with interaction, then be very close to pete when hes about to leave the kitchen, and look at the stairs she should be there for a second. then wrap up the video and look at the doll in the basement and crouch for the last giggle. console or pc?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
when you ready to look for the ghost it took me three video tries, before you replay the video, go upstairs look at the headphones, then go play the tape, stay close to pete, when you in the kitchen, do everything, open fridge, microwave, drawer, and anything else with interaction, then be very close to pete when hes about to leave the kitchen, and look at the stairs she should be there for a second. then wrap up the video and look at the doll in the basement and crouch for the last giggle. console or pc?
You don't have to watch the VHS at all to complete it. I did it the other night. At work now but I'll link the the guide I used when I get home. Took about 10 minutes.

It seems that picking up any handgun ammo can cause the 5th giggle to not show up.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I really hope embargo isn't lifted the day before release. That's not very promising.

I'm sure it'll review terribly just like Doom, which didn't even get reviews until after launch! Hiding secrets aren't they?

dlauv

I'm sure it'll review terribly just like Doom, which didn't even get reviews until after launch! Hiding secrets aren't they?

Nice attitude, but one unrelated situation doesn't preclude the outcome of another.

I'm excited for RE7 and have been on board since the E3 reveal. But as more footage and impressions come out, I'm becoming slightly anxious to put the doubt behind me. I'm expecting decent reviews actually; but, I'm not expecting anything as glowing as the previews would lead me to believe. Which is disappointing.

The best thing about the game is that it doesn't feel like Resident Evil, It does not play like Resident Evil, it does not look or sound like Resident Evil. The way the game portrays the characters and their relationship with the player is definitely not Resident Evil, The game feels much more than what a "Resident Evil game" could ever offer, the Resident Evil branding feels tacked on and it hurts the game IMHO.
yZzLjoP.gif

All the material in the spoiler thread has got me reasonable hyped except
for the ending
but man those lines are something I'm honestly don't want. Very much reminds me of the DmC scenario.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Any VR impressions? I can't decide if first playthrough will be VR or standard. The demo in VR was out of this world but I'm afraid of losing stuff.

Do we know how Baker "operates?" Like is he stalking you through the entire game, is it scripted for key moment encounters, etc? I do get the feeling from footage that it's a little random at least.

Here's a general, non-spoiler run down that I'll still tag due to it being based off of the leaks:
1. The initial appearance of the Baker member that starts the stalking sequence is scripted. The first with Jack has been shown in the B-roll.

2. After that, the A.I. does what it wants. It will search room to room, and not home in like the Alien in Alien Isolation.

3. If you down them, they will stay down for a certain period depending on the difficulty mode. AFAIK they don't disappear and respawn elsewhere.

4. The stalking ends when you fulfil an objective, such as reaching a certain spot. You can likely return to those areas then unhassled.

In regards to if the game is Resident Evil...it seems like a Resident Evil with good writing. The characters are more fleshed out; the game doesn't do what most of the series had done and leave development and important aspects in files. That and the gameplay seem like good foundations to improve upon further.

Sanctuary

Nice attitude, but one unrelated situation doesn't preclude the outcome of another.

I'm excited for RE7 and have been on board since the E3 reveal. But as more footage and impressions come out, I'm becoming slightly anxious to put the doubt behind me. I'm expecting decent reviews actually; but, I'm not expecting anything as glowing as the previews would lead me to believe. Which is disappointing.

I've had the game activated on Steam for a while now, but at this point I don't even care what the game is being called. I am just hoping that it's actually fun to play, and offers more than 50% running away. I just can't stand that kind of "gameplay", and none of the modern horror games have done anything for me. I don't know why, but having less player agency doesn't actually make a game tenser for me. Probably because there are very few options to actually choose from to make mistakes with.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Any VR impressions? I can't decide if first playthrough will be VR or standard. The demo in VR was out of this world but I'm afraid of losing stuff.

VR can be turned on and off in the middle of gameplay pretty easily, so you can play sections in VR and then remove VR, it isn't required you play the game with or without VR the whole way through. So can experiment with both options.

I've had the game activated on Steam for a while now, but at this point I don't even care what the game is being called. I am just hoping that it's actually fun to play, and offers more than 50% running away. I just can't stand that kind of "gameplay", and none of the modern horror games have done anything for me. I don't know why, but having less player agency doesn't actually make a game tenser for me. Probably because there are very few options to actually choose from to make mistakes with.

You'll be fine, you don't stay defenseless for very long in RE7 at all.

I hope this isn't too off topic. But does anyone know if pre-purchasing from CDkeys counts as pre-ordering? I purchased the deluxe edition from them and I'm hoping that it'll come with the survival pack that has the madhouse difficulty in it. But since I'm technically not pre-ordering from Steam's store I fear I may not get it.

wbacon

Capcom USA
I'm sure I'll play Madhouse for the probable trophies, but I don't want my first time through it to be potentially aggravating.

Good call.
There are several differences between Normal and Madhouse Mode. I won't spoil them, but the experience should feel a bit unique and surprising at times. Both should be worthwhile runs especially if you are an RE fan.

My recommendation would be to go Normal first if you are a casual to moderate action gamer.

Daigoro

You'll be fine, you don't stay defenseless for very long in RE7 at all.

thats good to hear.

what is your take on the "it doesnt feel like RE" sentiment someone posted above. have you spoken about this already? (edit: oh, looks like you havent played it yet!)

Good call.
There are several differences between Normal and Madhouse Mode. I won't spoil them, but the experience should feel a bit unique and surprising at times. Both should be worthwhile runs especially if you are an RE fan.

My recommendation would be to go Normal first if you are a casual to moderate action gamer.

Good, good

Always like it when a game makes a worthwhile difficulty to replay on, RE's always pretty good with that (REmake Real Survival, RE4 Professsional)

Dusk Golem

Good call.

I hate to dig you for this, but I've been debating for a while whether to go Normal or Madhouse for my first run. For the record, I usually play every horror game on the hardest difficulty available from the start on... Well, basically every game, unless the difficulty is best experienced in a second run.

I guess my main question is I know Madhouse Mode has a different saving system akin to the older RE's (find a cassette tape, limited saving in a cassette recorder), but are the encounters changed up a lot? I don't need any details of the specific changes, just if it's the same game but just harder I'll probably play that first as someone who plays hard difficulty on most games his first run as standard (and especially in horror games since I think it increases the survival aspect tremendously for that blind run you can only have once, and I'm not easily frustrated at all and don't mind replaying segments to 'get good', I actually enjoy that), but if it remixes certain aspects of the game or plays on expectations from the first playthrough, I'd probably save it for the second run.

Been debating since the information on Madhouse is a bit sparse at the moment in this regard and I've been debating which to do for my first run for a while. I know some of the changes, the only thing I don't know which would heavily influence my decision is if there's "remixed" elements compared to Normal difficulty.

thats good to hear.

what is your take on the "it doesnt feel like RE" sentiment someone posted above. have you spoken about this already? (edit: oh, looks like you havent played it yet!)

Keep in mind I don't have the game and have been avoiding most of the spoilers, but I do know a decent amount about it and have been following the game and making threads for it over time.

He mentioned he quit after the first encounter with Jack, which is pretty early in the game I know. He probably may have a change of opinion in a small bit, since to my knowledge the beginning is a bit more linear and gets you into the ropes of the game, and he quit right before he (very light spoilers, all this information has been known since September about the game, nothing from people playing it recently)
got his first weapon and before he got to the 'main hall' of the Baker Plantation and started solving puzzles, unlocking doors, exploring, etc., and hasn't encountered the Molded
yet.

But he said he would post more spoiler-free impressions once he woke up and played more, so I'm sure we'll hear his thoughts more in-depth when it comes.

Daigoro

eh shit, it's RE so ill probably be buying it either way. even though i have mostly ignored it until the last week or two.

guess ill just have to see if its RE to me when i actually play it. even though it looks like its quite a bit different.

thanks

Dusk Golem

does it matter which version?

Nah, physical, digital, platform, it's pretty consistent that Madhouse gets unlocked if you pre-order from the start (otherwise it's unlocked once you beat the game on Normal).

What does change is what items you get with the 'survival pack', but to be honest it's whatever there.

Nah, physical, digital, platform, it's pretty consistent that Madhouse gets unlocked if you pre-order from the start (otherwise it's unlocked once you beat the game on Normal).

What does change is what items you get with the 'survival pack', but to be honest it's whatever there.

yea I'm gonna rock madhouse from the start... hopefully that will increase my overall opinion on the game

Top Bottom