• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Screenshots & Info (Puzzles, Spiders, Enemies, & More)

Or simply RE7 would have been even more over-the-top action QTE infested genre mish-mash fest of a game than its predecessor.

RE had reached a point where it was basically where CoD has been since Modern Warfare. A game where each time they feel that they have to one up the last game in terms of craziness. CoD is a series that was once built around WW2 and is now about having space battles. I think they knew that wasn't a viable route and that they had to basically do a 180. Which is what they've done. Instead of being even crazier they've taken the game back to its roots in many ways. Fewer enemies, no superhero-style characters, focus on puzzle solving and exploration etc.

Ninjimbo

There is a plethora of action games nowadays. I think it's well deserved for the franchise to return to horror.

Personally I prefer being helpless in my games or at least starting out helpless and eventually assuming power. It's a visceral fear that you're trying to shake but just can't, and to me that's considerably more interesting than being an overpowered boulder-punching meathead who mows down hordes of enemies without ever so much as fearing for your life. Now that's boring.
But you're never overpowered in the older games. You are a little stronger thanks to your arsenal but any of those enemies can still knock you out in two or three hits and you were never flooded with ammo so every fight carried a certain level of tension. That's what made those games so interesting at the time.

The later games kind of had the same thing going for it except that shooting was actually fun. You still had some of the same obstacles in your way it's just that now shooting required more technique and precision if you wanted to succeed. That's how we ended up with a dope ass mode like Mercenaries. Most of the fun came from figuring out the most efficient way of taking out enemies whereas in the older games the most efficient way was always to not fight. It was an interesting switch.

RE7, I feel like I'm going to be doing a lot of running away and conservation. I'm going to be hiding from an old bitch with a lantern most of the time and right now it's unappealing. I have no idea how it's going to play.

Hopefully it turns into something I like. I'm praying for it. But I remember the last time RE tried psychological horror (well, Psycho was a huge influence) and it was Code Veronica. That game was a colossal disappointment.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Hopefully all this new stuff will still tie into Umbrella/bioweapons in some way. I mean...it's a Biohazard game after all, Capcom.

Man this sounds terrible, I would have accepted a game that played like 1 but just in 1st person. From everything I've heard it sounds like a shitty "modern" horror game that I hate.
Bleh, guess I'm not buying PSVR and this then.

I hope there's a spider snake hybrid

310452_v1.gif

Anung

Un Rama
Capcom need to reach out and give Dusk a job or something. Dude is singlehandedly killing marketing this game.

Paracelsus

Complaining about jump scares in RE.

Have I seen it all, or is there really more to come?

You people are trying too hard. RE was based on narrow environment swarming with slow lethal enemies you'd be best avoiding. RE iconic creatures were zombies (and some other putrid irrelevant creature hrm whatever). RE combat was never tailored around jumpscares, it just happened to have some, most of which were weak as shit. The first licker you meet is not a jumpscare, you get warned twice, one of which is a long ass cg video. The first hunter you meet in RE1 gives you half an hour worth of video to introduce the creature.

It's a big difference compared to a game exploting the camera mode to have spooky things jump at you from an angle. That's like calling yourself a horror designer because you like to hide behind doors to scare your friends.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You people are trying too hard. RE was based on narrow environment swarming with slow lethal enemies you'd be best avoiding. RE iconic creatures were zombies (and some other putrid irrelevant creature hrm whatever). RE combat was never tailored around jumpscares, it just happened to have some, most of which were weak as shit. The first licker you meet is not a jumpscare, you get warned twice, one of which is a long ass cg video. The first hunter you meet in RE1 gives you half an hour worth of video to introduce the creature.

It's a big difference compared to a game exploting the camera mode to have spooky things jump at you from an angle. That's like calling yourself a horror designer because you like to hide behind doors to scare your friends.

If it means anything, I was watching a video from Eurogamer on RE7 just now and her exact words was what you just said, and even said the game (RE7) isn't jump scare focused.

-MD-

This all sounds so good, Capcom finally woke up.

--"The psychostimulants" will serve to locate the objects that are nearby by making them glow. For the purists, its use will be optional and its duration will be very limited." (Pills picture.)

Good, disabling that immediately.

sublimit

Banned
Finally it starts looking more like a RE game (at times).I really hope they keep the cheap jump scares to a minimum though.They were never the focus in past RE games.

Sesha

So are the Regenerator-like mold enemies the same as the Hunter-type enemies described in the translations in the OP?

I don't think that the reason RE7 we have now is the underperforming RE6. To me it seems more like Capcom completely miscalculated their business (Deep Down, it's engine and so on) and therefore didn't have the money to risk another big scale production.

Good coincidence actually because this smaller scale production suits RE much better. Hope they have enough success with this and keep going down that road. No need to go for the big $$$ with this series. Thank god the movie series is all but over and therefore Capcom can go back to please the actual gamers.

I think it's a co-factor that RE7 is more scaled back because of how RE6 was received, commercially and critically. Capcom had a huge reaction to games like SFxT, DmC, RE6 and Dragon's Dogma underperforming, which included dropping overseas outsourcing completely when they had for example multiple DmC sequels planned, cancelling a bunch of projects and restructuring much of their internal workings. Maybe the issues with Deep Down was a factor as well, but it wasn't the only factor. I think if RE6 was a bigger hit they might have had more confidence in making RE7 a massive, large scale AAA title.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
It genuinely amazes me at the types of stuff that becomes negative sticking points for some people.

Like, the fact that this small element of the game elicited this type of reaction from you is....crazy.

For real. People write off games for the dumbest reasons. Their loss.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Lol at the OP text though. A new type of enemy called "Holoforms" Seems like a native French speaker tried to translate The Molded, and ended up with Hologrammes or Holoforms. I know I'm a native French speaker. The correct translation would be "Les Moisis"

It genuinely amazes me at some of the things that become negative sticking points for certain people.

Like, the fact that this small element of the game elicited this type of reaction from you is....crazy.

In the other thread someone was ready to write it off because it has jump scares. Yes, someone is taking issue whit Resident Evil having jump scares.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
In the other thread someone was ready to write it off because it has jump scares. Yes, someone is taking issue whit Resident Evil having jump scares.

it's not so much the presence of jump scares, but the frequency. biohazard always had effective scares because they were spaced out and hit you during those lulls in exploration or combat. beginning hour was a bit concerning because there were so many packed into a very small space, and many of them were pretty cheap and nonsensical (stuffed animal falling from the ceiling when there is nowhere it could have come from, jack teleporting behind you in a closed room, etc)

i have faith that the final game won't be like that, but even then it's the only thing even remotely tempering my excitement right now.

RedSnake

Hobby Consolas likes to take things to an extreme so I don't really trust this info at all.

They even said RE5 brought zombies back.

"- RE 7 is not a zombies game anymore. This time is much more focused on psychological horror"

Should not be called Resident Evil.

Resident Evil isn't really about zombies. It's about evil corporations and crazy viruses. If the psychological element is a side effect of some new virus, that would be so cool.

Resident Evil isn't really about zombies. It's about evil corporations and crazy viruses. If the psychological element is a side effect of some new virus, that would be so cool.

Nah, was always about surviving the monsters, which were overwhelmingly a zombie variant of some kind.

Psychological horror has no place in the series. This isn't Silent Hill.

I don't know why it can't involve psychological horror and I wouldn't take that as some face-value focus of the game either. If there's psychological horror, it's likely going to be tied to a new virus or something. I don't think it's going to work out of bounds to the established series so far, and it's a new element that can shake things up.

I also don't think RE is solely about "surviving the monsters" lol. This game is going to have monsters and zombie-like things, btw :p

It's like saying Walking Dead is about the zombies. The zombies are only a factor.

Nah, was always about surviving the monsters, which were overwhelmingly a zombie variant of some kind.

A franchise doesn't need to remain in a static place forever.

Also, the Bakers seem to be the natural evolution of the Plaga. They're clearly not normal human enemies. I'm not seeing a massive shift in what the series is about.

Manu

"- RE 7 is not a zombies game anymore. This time is much more focused on psychological horror"

Should not be called Resident Evil.

Sometimes I wish I could travel to an alternate dimension where Resident Evil is currently on it's 15th iterative sequel using the same formula of the original instead of having changed over the years just to read the NeoGAF posts in that world complaining about how the series is getting stale and should be put to rest.

I don't know why it can't involve psychological horror and I wouldn't take that as some face-value focus of the game either. If there's psychological horror, it's likely going to be tied to a new virus or something. I don't think it's going to work out of bounds to the established series so far, and it's a new element that can shake things up.

End result is they aren't making a game that fits the RE series. If they make a game that is basically Silent Hill and just say "Oh it's a virus not evil god magic" it doesn't change the experience at all.

Love when random people on internet think they can decide what does/doesn't belong in a series. Capcom started the franchise and they can do what they want with it, it's theirs.

I understand his thoughts and where he's coming from, but I also think this game has brought with it the biggest load of kneejerk I've ever seen over a videogame. It must surely have set a new bar.

End result is they aren't making a game that fits the RE series.

People who haven't played the game keep saying this. Everyone else including Capcom, previews, interviews, and people that have played it keep saying otherwise.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you are god damn boring refusing to accept the shift to psychological horror, until, of course, you experience it and then six years from now complain when it shifts to something else. Repeat ad nauseam.

Top Bottom