• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X PS4 stealth release after German rating in March

I wonder what this means for any potential Steam release?

I mean, surely they're gonna bring it to Steam at some point.. but which version?

Jawmuncher

You ain't getting my money capcom. I don't reward laziness. At least it should hit Xbox One backwards compatibility. Only reason I could see them going this route.

Skeeter49

gif___claire_redfield_200x200_by_robbiebr-d6kw9gj.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So this is on PS4? What are the benefits? 1080p?
More like 1292x896p then upscaled.
Its good and bad news, bad because it ain't the HD version and good because perhaps.......maybe, this is the first of many Capcom PS2 titles heading to PS4.
And we want those don't we. :D

RedBoot

It's a bit weird since they seem so dedicated to get nearly every other RE game running on PS4 with budget physical releases, but oh well. The completionist in me will miss the gap in the PS4 discs, but having just replayed the game a few months ago...I'm kind of glad I won't be compelled to buy another physical version. :p

Still, this is a good thing. Capcom working with the PS2 on PS4 service could get us a LOT of nice games that haven't had many re-releases.

RedBoot

I'd rather not. Outbreak without online gives the wrong impression.

While I agree with you, I'd be willing to re-buy them solely for single player if they improved the loading times at all (which has happened in some of the PS2 on PS4 releases). They're really hard to go back to nowadays.

Of course, a full remaster with online would be preferable, but I'm being realistic here. Though I don't think a PS2 on PS4 re-release is particularly likely for them either.

cvxfreak

To my knowledge none of the other PS2 Classics have worked that way, so probably not.

Btw, just curious but what's your preferred way to play this game?

Definitely one of the HD versions. I think the 360 one was a bit better myself, but it's been awhile.

I'm sure Capcom will go back to CVX HD someday. They wouldn't have converted it to MT Framework if that wasn't the longterm intention. Plus, RE ports sell very well.

Bowl0l

Hopefully Capcom doesn't pull a Square Enix since E3 is coming.

Announce PS2 on PS4. Wait while and then announce PS4 remaster.

They do know their customer will prefer choices (PS2 Emu or wait for PS4 remaster), right?

Hopefully Capcom doesn't pull a Square Enix since E3 is coming.

Announce PS2 on PS4. Wait while and then announce PS4 remaster.

They do know their customer will prefer choices (PS2 Emu or wait for PS4 remaster), right?

I wouldn't mind. I want the HD version with a retail release.

kc44135

Really bizarre that Capcom wouldn't just re-release the HD port on consoles and PC, especially when it's already running on MT Framework. That said, I'm actually curious to check it out. I kinda want to see what PS2 emulation is like on PS4 (haven't played any PS2 classics on PS4 yet), and I'm also really interested in seeing how the original lighting compares to the HD version, since many people seem to prefer it. Disappointing nevertheless, though. I wanted CVX at 60 FPS. :(

Edit: I hadn't considered that this could be the start of Capcom releasing PS2 classics on PS4. If that's the case, I want Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2, Onimusha, Clock Tower 3, Haunting Ground, and Viewtiful Joe (I'd prefer HD remasters of all these games obviously, but this would be better than nothing, certainly). Capcom, pls!

Really bizarre that Capcom wouldn't just re-release the HD port on consoles and PC, especially when it's already running on MT Framework. That said, I'm actually curious to check it out. I kinda want to see what PS2 emulation is like on PS4 (haven't played any PS2 classics on PS4 yet), and I'm also really interested in seeing how the original lighting compares to the HD version, since many people seem to prefer it. Disappointing nevertheless, though. I wanted CVX at 60 FPS. :(
PS2 emulation is actually really good. There are games that have some strange artifacts like the GTA games, but everything else does fine.

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 emulation is 60fps (at least that is the target of the emulation... some games have dips in certain places).

ethomaz

Banned
Source?

A bunch of PS2 on PS4 games run on 30fps. The GTA series for example.
I just checked and GTA was indeed locked 30fps... weird because all games I played are unlocked 60fps even when it was 30fps on PS2.

When Sony announced the emulation they said it will bring PS2 games to 60fps.

Unknown?

I thought Code Veronica X on PS3/360 were just lazy upres ports with nothing else changed, is that not the case? If it is the HD version won't be any better than this. PS2 classic emulator is pretty darn good and cleans the games up a lot.

mieumieu

I just checked and GTA was indeed locked 30fps... weird because all games I played are unlocked 60fps even when it was 30fps on PS2.

Probably it depends on the game. Some games would break if FPS is unlocked.
Rogue Galaxy is 30fps (with dips) also.

kc44135

PS2 emulation is actually really good. There are games that have some strange artifacts like the GTA games, but everything else does fine.
Yeah, so I've heard. The only reason I haven't checked it out yet is that there just hasn't been much that interested me. Capcom putting some games on there could change all that though, for sure.

I think you were probably mistaking 30 FPS on those games for unlocked framerate (which could go higher than 30 on PS2, but likely didn't most of the time due to hardware limitations). Games with unlocked FPS would likely be able to easily hit 60 FPS on PS4, but games like CVX that ran at a capped 30 FPS (to the best of my knowledge, at least) will likely still be locked to that frame cap. I'd love to be wrong, though.

While it sucks that it's not getting the Remaster treatment, I guess it means I won't have to re-buy it if it becomes Backward Compatible on Xbox One.

kc44135

I thought Code Veronica X on PS3/360 were just lazy upres ports with nothing else changed, is that not the case? If it is the HD version won't be any better than this. PS2 classic emulator is pretty darn good and cleans the games up a lot.

No, there were some major changes. The HD ports run in true wide-screen, for one (not the pan and scan stuff from REmake and Zero, but true 16:9). They also have completely redone lighting and water effects, which can, in some cases, drastically change the look of the original game. This is why the lighting in particular was a rather divisive change. It actually made an already dark game even darker, obscuring details in the environment (and even items). It also messed up the Nosferatu fight, making it much more difficult to hit him with the sniper rifle due to the bizarre lighting of the boss arena in that version.

Still, I personally really liked the new lighting, and felt like it added a lot of atmosphere to the game, and (along with the 16:9 implementation) made it more immersive. It also made the lighter more useful compared to the original. My main beef with the HD port were the FMV's which were very poor quality compared to previous versions. They were stretched to fill the screen, looked jaggy and pixelated, and bizarrely enough, had framerate issues that made them look really choppy.

I'm definitely interested in checking out the PS2 version to see how it compares, though. It's been a very long time since I've played it.

Jawmuncher

No the HD ports were overall good. They added new lighting and smoothed out the graphics (and 2D assets) nicely. About the only negative to them was making a few areas darker than the original.

The PS2 version on PS4 is still a regression.

SURGEdude

That is so fuckin' lazy. Jesus Capcom.

How does the PS2 build of the game stack up to the original DC build other than the X content? Or the GC version for that matter?

Perineum

So if Ive never played this one or know the story pieces will this be worth picking up? Seems like you guys are all saying its a shit tier port?

So if Ive never played this one or know the story pieces will this be worth picking up? Seems like you guys are all saying its a shit tier port?

It is a crappy port.. yes..

But the game is amazing.. especially of you liked the old school RE games. Very good story

Ocaso

So this release is going to be inferior to the PS3 port? It doesn't make any sense.

I agree. People who were fans of the game can't experience the best version of it on PS4, and those experiencing it for the first time will find themselves particularly underwhelmed.

And count me among those who absolutely loved the game. It was mind-blowing on release and, despite

Jawmuncher

That is so fuckin' lazy. Jesus Capcom.

How does the PS2 build of the game stack up to the original DC build other than the X content? Or the GC version for that matter?

I recall it ran better than the DC version but worse than the GC version. No specifics though.

Top Bottom